Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Allagash Hugh Malone - Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Hugh MaloneAllagash Hugh Malone

Allagash Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Belgian IPA |  7.80% ABV

Beer added by: ppoitras on 04-27-2007

Hugh Malone begins with a grain bill featuring a blend of Maine grown barley, imported Pilsner, and raw wheat malt. At the beginning of run off, we add a portion of hops to the sweet wort in the kettle; a technique known as "first wort hopping". As the boil begins, a generous amount of Chinook hops are added for bittering. Later, in the whirlpool, the beer is hopped with a blend of Centennial and Amarillo, for aroma. This same blend is used, post fermentation, to lend additional hop character to the finished beer. The result is a complex brew with a malty palate, intense hop aromas, pronounced bitterness and a pleasantly dry finish.

Pours a glowing honey/orange color, big fluffy white head, fades very slowly and leaves a ton of lacing. Smells glorious, lots of resinous piney hops, sweet caramel malt, and a whiff of Belgian yeast. Taste is a bright citric hop explosion, lots of pine notes, but all elegantly balanced by the sweetness of the malt. Creamy mouthfeel, tight carbonation, tons of lingering bitterness on the back and underside of the tongue. This is absolutely one of the tastiest beers I've had. Exquisite!!!

EDIT: 9.27.09...I'm editing my review and giving this beer all 5s. I can't find any flaws, so, yeah..it's perfect. (608 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +24.4%

Had the opportunity to try this on tap during American Craft Beer Week fest at Max's Taphouse in Baltimore.

Great, balanced version of a Belgian IPA. I wish I would have taken notes, but of the few tap beers I had - this one took home the gold, no question (and that's saying a lot, considering the number of rare, American craft beers on tap).

Amazingly balanced, incredibly drinkable for a 8+% ABV brew and just an all-around great beer. Not sure how it's only a B+ at time of review.

Wish I could find this even in bottle form. (536 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +21.3%

Appearance - This poured a beautiful off-orange in color with an immaculate head that was reserved yet full and left a white film with little white pits on top of the liquid and some nice foamy lacing on the inside of my glass.

Smell - This is amazing. There is no mistaking the rich, simcoe hops and they are here in force yet balanced with some other bittering hops and a nice malt structure. There is also a fine Belgian candy sweetness that tops things off. This aroma is quite simple yet incredible.

Taste - The hops carry the day at the taste, and again the simcoe dominates but in a nice, courteous way. The malts are a bit lighter but the candied finish from the nose is here for sure. I don't know that it is a classic BIPA but damn this is tasty.

Mouthfeel - This is a bit bigger than medium-bodied but not full with a wonderful, light, tingly carbonation and a satisfying sweetish finish.

Drinkability - I just loved this beer. It was rich, flavorful, unique, and exciting. I don't know how you would rate it to the style but for me this was excellent. (1,067 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +20.5%

Paid $16.99 for a 750ml bottle from BevMo in San Jose, CA. I remember having one of these at a friend's house about 5 months ago and really enjoyed it. I have had a few other Belgian IPAs and none of them (except for the Green Flash Le Freak) had a good hop character. This one I do remember being remarkably smooth and a great marriage of a Belgian Ale and IPA. I pour into my Chimay Chalice.

Pours very nice, leaving an inch of white, frothy and light head that retains quite well. Very thick, lasting lace. A deep golden/brownish/orange color. Very nicely carbonated.

Smells as I remembered; perfectly balanced. Fresh, clean hop character matched with a mildly spiced Belgian Ale (white pepper and Belgian Spice).

Taste is equally well balanced. The hops in this one are quite unique. They do not have the standard pine/citrus/grapefruit character I'm used to in a west coast IPA. They are much more mild, yet certainly quite present.

The mouth is the best I have had for a beer with this level of hop backing. Perfectly carbonated, medium body. So smooth and creamy. Good lasting aftertaste. Superb drinkability.

I'm not so sure why this only has a B+ rating thus far. I love the Belgian IPA style and this is either in spot 1 or 2 for me. Highly recommended. Nice job Allagash. (1,287 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A close friend brought over a 750ml bottle to share. Poured a glowing honey/orange color with a big fluffy white head into my SA glass. I am a hop head and the smell was glorious, lots of resinous piney hops, sweet caramel malt, and a whiff of Belgian yeast. Taste was a hop explosion with lots of pine notes well balanced by the sweet malt and yeast notes. Incredible lacing clings to the glass after every sip. I am indeed lucky to have a friend share such a fabulous beer with me. (483 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Golden with a long lasting white head.

Smell: Super hoppy, floral and piney.

Taste: Moderate to strong hops up front, which blends into mild Belgian style yeast, into a bready malt backbone. Aftertaste is a nice mix of Beglain yeast and more West-coast style hops.

Mouthfeel: Thick and moderately carbonated.

Overall: Delicious! Feels substantial in every way. Hop profile is like an American Pale Ale, and it goes well with the Belgian style yeasts. Gives it more depth. (487 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Another one of those, "I can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet" beers. Time to finally roll up the sleeves for a bit and write a review. This particular bottle is probably around 6-8 months old.

Appearance- Is there any Allagash beer that isn't absolutely beautiful? You've got to love pouring their bottle conditioned beers because it seems you can make the head do whatever you want it to. Pour it hard or soft, you're still going to end up with lacing all over the glass.

Smell- Citrusy hops with a nice spice melody. Black pepper in the deep whiffs.

Taste and Mouthfeel- Excellent balance between hops, malt, and spices. Really quite exceptional the more I make my tastebuds think about it. Surprisingly hoppy for Allagash (citrusy), but certainly not overdone and less hoppy than any others I've had in this style. A hint of honey in the middle- just a hint. Lots of orange peel near the end, and a peppery and near-dry finish. Carbonation is subtle and just strong enough to make its way through the medium thickness of the body.

Drinkability/Conclusion- Well go figure, I finally figure out how much I love this beer on my LAST bottle. Looks like I'll be snagging up some more of this when I get a chance.

Allagash sets the bar high with their interpretation of this emerging style. Surprisingly, this is more 'Belgian' tasting than examples I've had from Belgium... but now that I think of it, maybe I shouldn't be surprised at all since Allagash is probably the best maker of Belgian beers outside of Belgium. (1,529 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

Pours a slightly hazy amber/orange with plenty of carbonation and a thick creamy head that persists for at least 30 mins in the glass.

Nose is refined and balanced with levels of complexity. It has a slight tangerine citrus component with green grass, pine, biscuit and toffee, which adds a little sweetness. It smells fresh and inviting but not spritzy in any way, I really like the nose.

Medium bodied, great vivacity and creamy richness envelop the palate with flavors of citrus, golden malts and a nice smooth bittering with some spice at the end. Alcohol comes through just a tad strong after the beer warms up a bit, but the flavors are awesome and very well balanced. This is one of my favorite styles of beer, a bastard hybrid between an American Northwest IPA and a Belgian golden ale and this one hits a home run. (825 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

Purchased from Franklin's in Hyatsville, MD...probably stored at home beyond optimal freshness of 6 months

A - Pale straw/honey colored gold. Thick, dense white head

S - Floral hops, malty sweetness, grass, faint citrus and pine

T - mildly bitter hops, molasses, lemon, Belgian malt

M - Lasting tannic bitterness that remains after swallow. Fairly light for an IPA, but also warming.

O - Pricey beer ($18), but to be expected with Allagash. Quality beer. Despite being kept for longer than optimal, tasted great poured into snifter. (537 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +14.9%

From the 2012 batch, corked, caged 750 ml. bottle.

The pour is a hazy and heady straw yellow. The lively carbonation bubbles feed the plush, foamy head that lingers on and on.

The floral hops are noted on the nose right off but they are subdued as they play against the wheat and pilsener malts that step forward. There is the slightest citrus zing but it simply tickles rather than overpowers.

The body is light to medium and creamy.

The taste is beautifully balanced with an upfront subtle wheat experience and a moderately lingering hop finish. While nothing takes command the hoppy background reminds you that this is an IPA.

This is the way I like my IPA's. It is not too harsh but presents itself enough to satisfy. A fine tribute to an early pioneer of the Maine brewing industry. (794 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +14.6%

750ml Bottle
Caged/Corked
Batch 3

Poured into a chalice a very nice golden orange color, nice carbonation, very nice one-finger creamy off-white head, with lots of nice sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, yeasty, with some slight hop notes, slight citrus. The taste is sweet/bitter, malty, yeasty, slightly hoppy, some citrus notes. Medium body. Very drinkable, this has got to be one of the best Belgian IPAs I've had to date. (438 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Nice ruby/orange hazy coloring with a huge head of tight aromatic bubbles. Fair amount of citrus and melon in the aroma. More citrus, a touch of pine, marshmallow, and pith in the taste. Moderate carbonation yet slightly creamy mouthfeel. Some yeasty funkiness in this but not as much as I expected, well done overall beer. (323 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

2011 Vintage

Let me start out by saying this beer is very under-rated - this is one of my favourite styles and it is fantastic.

Look is basically perfect, massive head, lots of lacing and great coloring.

Smell is great for the style - a good mix of citric hops, funky belgian yeast notes and spice

Taste is very good, balance, very dry and quite hoppy for such a 'belgian' brewery as Allagash...probably more hopped than houblon, the BIPA I hold all others up to.

Feel is right on, light not too heavy.

Overall this is a fantastic beer, another wonderful one from one of the best breweries in the US or the world. (624 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +13.8%

2014 vintage big bottle.

a hazy blonde body on this brew. head is bright white and HUGE. a lot of citrus in the aroma. really inviting. flavor starts with some earthy yeast bitter-bite. quickly moves to a refreshing citrus and pine hop flavor. getting some melon in there too. really tasty stuff. (299 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +13.6%

For my 100th review, a little something special. I purchased this caged and corked 750 last fall at the venerable C.E. Reilly provisions store on the Pemaquid peninsula in Maine and felt that it was time to finally break it out.

Poured chilled into a tulip glass.

A-Hazy orange with a creamy white head. This beer looks luminous, and is really pretty.

S-Citrus, lemon and orange hops hit immediately, but the nose is soft with pronounced sweet malts taking up the background. Very nice.

T-The taste begins with rich sweet citrus malts passing over to a nice clean crisp and dry hop finish. Moderately complex in the transitions across the palate and a great balance between the Belgian and IPA qualities.

M-Extremely well balanced overall, with a medium bodied rich, creamy feel well balanced by the carbonation. Not foamy, like so many Belgians can be, just incredible. May be one of the best mouthfeels ever.

D-This is an exceptionally drinkable beer....the ABV is hardly noticed. I can't imagine anyone who likes a good brew not completely enjoying this one.

Obviously, I really like this beer, but it makes me wonder what this tastes like when new, and what impact the aging had on it. I see no date code anywhere on the bottle, so hard to say how old it was when I bought it. Frankly, I expected it to be more hop intensive, and I suppose the aging mellowed this somewhat, but in any case I am extremely satisfied with the results. Everyone complains about the price...yes, I think I paid something like $16.99 for this bottle, with $1 going to charity it is still expensive, but as much as I enjoyed it, well worth it...I will look for it again. (1,658 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +13.3%

Vintage 2010, purchased and consumed (ten minutes later) on 5/10/2012.

Poured a cloudy yellow with a solid head that dissipated. Not much lacing, but still a nice looking beer.

Smells a little like a trippel/dubbel, but real hoppy. Already liking this better then the Belgian IPAs from Belgium.

Taste is bitter, but not overwhelming. Spices and citrus are present. Pretty mellow (probably from 2 years on a shelf). No trace of the 7.8% abv.

Mouthfeel is light, and some carbonation remains on my tongue after I've swallowed.

Overall, a great beer. I am going to try to find a newer bottle and compare. (611 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +13.3%

My first Allagash and it won't be my last. Nice foam head on the pour. It is well balanced and easily drinkable. Don't let the high ABV scare you off. Primarily citrus and pine taste with Belgian yeast going around. There might be something better out there but this is a pretty good start to me. (296 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +13.3%

A: Poured from a large bottle marked "Batch #3" (oh, and the ABV on the bottle I had was listed as 9.5%). Large, off-white head that was quite long-lasting. Body is a dark orange / light copper color, and very hazy.

S: Aroma is perfectly balanced and nicely mellow... pine notes in the hops, and a good amount of citrus to make it all work well. Very nice.

T: The flavor is also great... a little hoppy (but not like most American IPAs or even Pale Ales), nicely balanced with a little malt sweetness and citrus.

M: Medium-bodied, and creamy, with average to lively carbonation.

D: Damn, I really enjoyed this beer. Definitely something I would enjoy sipping on again, as it's quite easy to drink... dangerously so for 8.5%-9.5%. (733 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +12.8%

Gold cloudy appearance.
Pours with a cloudy head nice gold- amber color

Smell brings light citrus, orange notes, expected more alcohol in the nose but there's no burn.
Not a lot of floral hops. Yeasty and bready

Balanced and bitter on the tongue
Smooth to start and then gentle carbonation. Hops balances the sweetness and finishes with slight bitter. Smooth and clean (373 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 750ml corked bottle.

The beer poured a very nice cloudy orange-ish color with a big white head, no doubt due to the carbonation. The beer gave off a nice hopy aroma with a hint of sweetness and maybe a little pine. The taste was excellent...at first I really got all of the hops and then the Belgian yeast flavors really kicked in and it just brought the whole beer together. The beer was carbonated just right and it was very smooth, rich and highly drinkable. I will be going back to get a few bottles to keep around. This may become a staple in my beer fridge. (579 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Consumed 3/23/2010. Bottle was I think a 2009 (no date).

Clear vibrant orange with tangerine highlights. Big smooth creamy ecru head. Dense bubbles. Big thick laces.

Toasty caramel and bread. vanilla, candi sugar. Spicy herbal, and pine.

Toasty bread, caramel, candi sugar, vanilla, hint of booze. Spicy pine and herbal. Some citrus, grapefruit rind. Touch of woody oak. Smooth bitterness.

Smooth as fuck. dry with a med body and some stickiness.

Awesome, very drinkable. Complex, tasty. No date, but had for at least a year. This is a great beer with some age on it. (573 characters)

Just had the pleasure of trying this at Plan B in Glastonbury, CT

I had heard really good things and this definitely did not disappoint

I don't recall having any Belgian IPA's in the past, but if they all taste like this then I am all in

This is really easy to drink so be careful though

Allagash is always top notch (320 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +11.5%

Wow, I did not even look this up or know what to expect when going in, which is the way I prefer to try new beers. I figured another Allagash Tripel maybe with a twist. Poured a very hazy amber yellow with a huge three inch plus head of white foam. This reluctantly faded after a few minutes and left behind copious amounts of lace down the glass. Lots of carbonation streaming up from the bottom of the glass. The smell was very hoppy, which quite shocked me at first. There was the underlying base of yeast, and your typical tripel smell, but above that was this huge aroma of citrus hops, lots of orange peel and sweet tangerine aromas. Now this is what I'm talking about. The taste was superb. Lots of west coast hops in the back. Well forst great feel, smooth, light and great carbonation. Went down real easy and had the slightly fizzy feel that really makes the flavors pop. Nice bread and yeast tones, earthy grains made up the backbone of this one. Then interwovern were extremly frsh cut hops. Very nice orange and grapefruit tones. Very upfront too. The mixture of these gave it a very unique flavor I had not seen before. I actually enjoyed this much more then the other Belgian IPA I have tried. I felt there was much more hoppiness to this one. Overall this was a great great beer. I could easily see myself purchasing this again, however at 15.99 a bottle, not too often, but if you are gonna splurge this is definatly worth a try. (1,446 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +11.5%

A two-tier review. I made my notes while enjoying my first snifter, I will incorporate those into the live review while I have my second glass. From a 750ml, priced nice @ <$9... at Gasbarros, of all places. WTF? Gasbarros is notorious for price gouging, and yet I get this well under the $15-$19 paid by most. Hmm.

A- A fantastic head on this one. Instant lacing, this is like big, billowy clouds settled on my beer. Coloration is a toffee-orangey brown, and the head is lasting for days. Looks as light as air.

S- If they were going for a Belgian IPA, they hit the nail on the head. Floral hops are most noticeable but don't have a hint of pine, bitterness, grapefruit, or anything 'abrasive'. There's a definite saison quality here, very aromatic yeast. Mild funk, very mild, actually. There's also a faint meaty nuttiness, like almond paste is the best way I can describe it. Finishes with a twang of tartness. Complex, to say the least.

T- Hmm. Hops are stronger than the nose would have you believe. They are the set up, though, not the main event. The hops step aside for the spicy yeast qualities that have me really digging this beer. A lot of reviews call this beer one-note... either the age has done wonders or I have a blessed tongue.

I taste orange zest, honeydew melon, watermelon bubblegum, a mild metallic/copper note, peppercorn, horse-blanket funk.. mmmm!

This is more aggressive than Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel, and the two are neck-and-neck in my book. Houblon Chouffe has a stronger hop presence, while Hugh Malone is a bit more nuanced in its presentation, with a much stronger yeast quality. Almost too spicy... but it's not, it's awesome. This is one of my instant favorites (take into consideration that I've only had a handful of Belgian IPAs). Not as funky as WildDevil... but more varied on the tongue. Very tasty.

M- Perfect. Enough hops/peppery yeast to compliment the near-perfect body. A bit heavier than your average IPA, the Belgian-esque yeast does wonders at keeping this beer afloat.

D- High. Going back to clear out the stock. I found this beer to be more complex than what most reviews allude to. I also noticed the number one complaint about this beer was the price point, as some paid $15-$20 for this one. At $8.79, I feel like I hit paydirt... this beer is amazing for the price. I looove this beer. (2,366 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +11%

Thanks to TimmyP for this great extra & the keen-eyed ppoitras for throwing this into my Secret Santa box. No Hugh Malone for years & suddenly it's raining Allagash! Batch 3, for what it's worth.

Split & poured gently into my Sinners & Saints Chalice (& a Hennepin for my wife). Very turbid, even considering the bottle-conditioning, completely opaque even without a hint of distubance. Golden amber with a wispy, who-cares lace-bits. Smell is compelling, sweetness of a Belgian with only a hint of hops.

Hugh Malone, Belgian Strong? Belgian IPA? Belgian Pale? Who knows, who cares. This one singes the tongue with wicked & unexpected delights. The pale malts are lent brains & brawn by the hops, which I've now read are Simcoe, which makes sense, since they'tr burly, hair-growing hops. The lemony hops interact nicely & create a charming contrast to the Belgian yeasts, & cancel out one another's more extreme predilications.

There's a vague, overall spiciness to this that's also welcome. Light & crisp on the palate. Honestly, this one grew on me with every sip.

Excellent brew. I would love to try this on tap sometime out East, but from the bottle, this is another fine beer from the folks at Allagash. I'll be serving the other bottle at my birthday tasting party sometime in January, & I suspect Hugh will go over well with those who are not craft beer nuts. (1,374 characters)

Allagash Hugh Malone from Allagash Brewing Company