Allagash Hugh Malone - Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Hugh MaloneAllagash Hugh Malone

Allagash Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Belgian IPA |  7.80% ABV

Hugh Malone begins with a grain bill featuring a blend of Maine grown barley, imported Pilsner, and raw wheat malt. At the beginning of run off, we add a portion of hops to the sweet wort in the kettle; a technique known as "first wort hopping". As the boil begins, a generous amount of Chinook hops are added for bittering. Later, in the whirlpool, the beer is hopped with a blend of Centennial and Amarillo, for aroma. This same blend is used, post fermentation, to lend additional hop character to the finished beer. The result is a complex brew with a malty palate, intense hop aromas, pronounced bitterness and a pleasantly dry finish.

(Beer added by: ppoitras on 04-27-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

Georgia

02-28-2014 16:17:29 | More by citybcb
corey0212

Connecticut

Pours a glowing honey/orange color, big fluffy white head, fades very slowly and leaves a ton of lacing. Smells glorious, lots of resinous piney hops, sweet caramel malt, and a whiff of Belgian yeast. Taste is a bright citric hop explosion, lots of pine notes, but all elegantly balanced by the sweetness of the malt. Creamy mouthfeel, tight carbonation, tons of lingering bitterness on the back and underside of the tongue. This is absolutely one of the tastiest beers I've had. Exquisite!!!

EDIT: 9.27.09...I'm editing my review and giving this beer all 5s. I can't find any flaws, so, yeah..it's perfect.

07-21-2008 22:05:14 | More by corey0212

09-19-2013 19:16:10 | More by Soumya
Chodite

Maryland

4.88/5  rDev +23.5%

Had the opportunity to try this on tap during American Craft Beer Week fest at Max's Taphouse in Baltimore.

Great, balanced version of a Belgian IPA. I wish I would have taken notes, but of the few tap beers I had - this one took home the gold, no question (and that's saying a lot, considering the number of rare, American craft beers on tap).

Amazingly balanced, incredibly drinkable for a 8+% ABV brew and just an all-around great beer. Not sure how it's only a B+ at time of review.

Wish I could find this even in bottle form.

05-12-2009 03:56:11 | More by Chodite
RoyalT

4.78/5  rDev +21%

Appearance - This poured a beautiful off-orange in color with an immaculate head that was reserved yet full and left a white film with little white pits on top of the liquid and some nice foamy lacing on the inside of my glass.

Smell - This is amazing. There is no mistaking the rich, simcoe hops and they are here in force yet balanced with some other bittering hops and a nice malt structure. There is also a fine Belgian candy sweetness that tops things off. This aroma is quite simple yet incredible.

Taste - The hops carry the day at the taste, and again the simcoe dominates but in a nice, courteous way. The malts are a bit lighter but the candied finish from the nose is here for sure. I don't know that it is a classic BIPA but damn this is tasty.

Mouthfeel - This is a bit bigger than medium-bodied but not full with a wonderful, light, tingly carbonation and a satisfying sweetish finish.

Drinkability - I just loved this beer. It was rich, flavorful, unique, and exciting. I don't know how you would rate it to the style but for me this was excellent.

11-14-2009 02:58:51 | More by RoyalT

4.75/5  rDev +20.3%

10-16-2012 05:25:38 | More by YobroitsJoe
ibbjamin

4.68/5  rDev +18.5%

Paid $16.99 for a 750ml bottle from BevMo in San Jose, CA. I remember having one of these at a friend's house about 5 months ago and really enjoyed it. I have had a few other Belgian IPAs and none of them (except for the Green Flash Le Freak) had a good hop character. This one I do remember being remarkably smooth and a great marriage of a Belgian Ale and IPA. I pour into my Chimay Chalice.

Pours very nice, leaving an inch of white, frothy and light head that retains quite well. Very thick, lasting lace. A deep golden/brownish/orange color. Very nicely carbonated.

Smells as I remembered; perfectly balanced. Fresh, clean hop character matched with a mildly spiced Belgian Ale (white pepper and Belgian Spice).

Taste is equally well balanced. The hops in this one are quite unique. They do not have the standard pine/citrus/grapefruit character I'm used to in a west coast IPA. They are much more mild, yet certainly quite present.

The mouth is the best I have had for a beer with this level of hop backing. Perfectly carbonated, medium body. So smooth and creamy. Good lasting aftertaste. Superb drinkability.

I'm not so sure why this only has a B+ rating thus far. I love the Belgian IPA style and this is either in spot 1 or 2 for me. Highly recommended. Nice job Allagash.

04-01-2009 02:23:24 | More by ibbjamin
clemtig76

South Carolina

4.6/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A close friend brought over a 750ml bottle to share. Poured a glowing honey/orange color with a big fluffy white head into my SA glass. I am a hop head and the smell was glorious, lots of resinous piney hops, sweet caramel malt, and a whiff of Belgian yeast. Taste was a hop explosion with lots of pine notes well balanced by the sweet malt and yeast notes. Incredible lacing clings to the glass after every sip. I am indeed lucky to have a friend share such a fabulous beer with me.

02-22-2010 21:57:20 | More by clemtig76
lpayette

Vermont

4.53/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Another one of those, "I can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet" beers. Time to finally roll up the sleeves for a bit and write a review. This particular bottle is probably around 6-8 months old.

Appearance- Is there any Allagash beer that isn't absolutely beautiful? You've got to love pouring their bottle conditioned beers because it seems you can make the head do whatever you want it to. Pour it hard or soft, you're still going to end up with lacing all over the glass.

Smell- Citrusy hops with a nice spice melody. Black pepper in the deep whiffs.

Taste and Mouthfeel- Excellent balance between hops, malt, and spices. Really quite exceptional the more I make my tastebuds think about it. Surprisingly hoppy for Allagash (citrusy), but certainly not overdone and less hoppy than any others I've had in this style. A hint of honey in the middle- just a hint. Lots of orange peel near the end, and a peppery and near-dry finish. Carbonation is subtle and just strong enough to make its way through the medium thickness of the body.

Drinkability/Conclusion- Well go figure, I finally figure out how much I love this beer on my LAST bottle. Looks like I'll be snagging up some more of this when I get a chance.

Allagash sets the bar high with their interpretation of this emerging style. Surprisingly, this is more 'Belgian' tasting than examples I've had from Belgium... but now that I think of it, maybe I shouldn't be surprised at all since Allagash is probably the best maker of Belgian beers outside of Belgium.

11-18-2008 02:28:07 | More by lpayette