Allagash Hugh Malone - Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Hugh MaloneAllagash Hugh Malone

Allagash Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Belgian IPA |  7.80% ABV

Hugh Malone begins with a grain bill featuring a blend of Maine grown barley, imported Pilsner, and raw wheat malt. At the beginning of run off, we add a portion of hops to the sweet wort in the kettle; a technique known as "first wort hopping". As the boil begins, a generous amount of Chinook hops are added for bittering. Later, in the whirlpool, the beer is hopped with a blend of Centennial and Amarillo, for aroma. This same blend is used, post fermentation, to lend additional hop character to the finished beer. The result is a complex brew with a malty palate, intense hop aromas, pronounced bitterness and a pleasantly dry finish.

(Beer added by: ppoitras on 04-27-2007)
4.03/5  rDev +2%

Quite a nice beer from Allagash. It pours out an even brown clor with a bit of a flimsy lightly colored head. Malty flavored beer with a lot caramel/roasted flavors and a toffee sort of tone. good complexity. Easy to drink. This bottle was aged for a couple years prior to drinking. I've never had it fresh, so I don't know if the complexities change at all over time.

4.08/5  rDev +3.3%

Appears a hazy apricot color with an off white head that falls to a skim layer
Smells of a light fruit - citrus, a little hops with a malt backbone. I also get some honey.'The taste is crisp - a bit bitter up front then some citrus. Clean dry hp finish.
Mouthfeel is nice. A medium body with active carbonation.
A pretty nice brew though the price is a bit on the steep side.

4.05/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured from 750mL bottle into a tulip. Bottle indicates this is batch #3. Also according to the bottle, this beer is 9.5% ABV rather than the 8.5% indicated above.

Appearance: nice hazy orange with two fingers of pillowy ivory head.

Smell: big, fresh, spicy hops right off the bat. With patience, there's a nice chalky malt below that with some delicious-smelling pear essence. Interesting -- I like it.

Taste: very good. Quite bitter with a strong Belgian malt backbone. Hops are as in the aroma -- mostly fresh and spicy. Some of the niceties of the strong Belgian pale ale below get lost, however; I won't say a BSPA is not a nice substrate for big hops, I just think the base has a lot to offer on its own. Overall, I like it, but I feel like the aspects of this beer could have been better balanced.

Mouthfeel: medium body with great Belgian carbonation yields a wonderful and delicious creaminess. My favorite part of this beer.

Drinkability: this beer is quite drinkable, which at 9.5% is a danger. If the hops were toned down a hair, or perhaps if another, more floral or less intense variety were used, I feel like this beer would get bumped half a point in drink and taste easily.

4.35/5  rDev +10.1%

Thanks to TimmyP for this great extra & the keen-eyed ppoitras for throwing this into my Secret Santa box. No Hugh Malone for years & suddenly it's raining Allagash! Batch 3, for what it's worth.

Split & poured gently into my Sinners & Saints Chalice (& a Hennepin for my wife). Very turbid, even considering the bottle-conditioning, completely opaque even without a hint of distubance. Golden amber with a wispy, who-cares lace-bits. Smell is compelling, sweetness of a Belgian with only a hint of hops.

Hugh Malone, Belgian Strong? Belgian IPA? Belgian Pale? Who knows, who cares. This one singes the tongue with wicked & unexpected delights. The pale malts are lent brains & brawn by the hops, which I've now read are Simcoe, which makes sense, since they'tr burly, hair-growing hops. The lemony hops interact nicely & create a charming contrast to the Belgian yeasts, & cancel out one another's more extreme predilications.

There's a vague, overall spiciness to this that's also welcome. Light & crisp on the palate. Honestly, this one grew on me with every sip.

Excellent brew. I would love to try this on tap sometime out East, but from the bottle, this is another fine beer from the folks at Allagash. I'll be serving the other bottle at my birthday tasting party sometime in January, & I suspect Hugh will go over well with those who are not craft beer nuts.

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

Enjoyed a pint at the Small Bar on Division in Chicago with a bowl of spicy chili! Delish!

Appearance- slightly hazy, deep straw to pale orange in color with 1 finger of tight white head that slowly fades to a thin film. Loads of clingy lacing from top to bottom.

Aroma- Nosefull of bright citrusy (orange) hops with hints of alcohol and a very subtle spice. Warm biscuit and bready malt aromatic notes. Almost a candy-like aroma.

Flavor- Starts with a mouthfull of citrusy american hops, slowly fading to a belgianesque brew with warm biscuit, subtle spice/alcohol, and candi sugar notes in the middle. Finishes with a great balance between sticky citrus hops, candy-like sweetness, and warm biscuit-like malt.

Mouth- Med-high CO2, light-medium bodied with refreshing slightly dry finish.

Overall- Great brew showcasing belgian and american highlights! Worked great with the spicy chili I was eating!

3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

From tasting notes, 12 oz served in tulip at Swift's (4th St, NYC) 14th "birthday party." Thought it was going to be a VSK-esque beer event, turned out to be a fullscale club. The BA printout I brought with descriptions of all the beers turned out to qualify as "an invitation" which I needed to have to get in.

Appearance: Hazy pale color (couldn't tell if it was golden or orange, the dim light was orange colored). Big, frothy head turns into sticky lacing running running down the glass.

Smells like fruit (combination of the fruity yeast and citric hops), almost(/surprisingly) like a peach.

Taste - citrusy hoppiness, edge taken out by the smooth Belgian yeast

mouthfeel - lingering, coating texture resulting in a typical IPA near-drymouth

drinkability - Very drinkable, but best at the same pace as a tart, summer lemonade.

Tastes/feels great for a Belgian IPA (examples like Stricklander or CaliBelgique are too pale and thin, the lack of filtering really does it some good). I usually, however like a nice malt backbone to take the sting out of the hops, the belgian yeast is a different approach, and isn't quite my favorite.

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

On tap at the Church Key in DC. Beautiful orange pour, with a big fluffy white head on top that leaves perfect lacing as it drains. Hard to top, looks-wise. Strong hoppy nose, big with fruit and citrus all over the place. Flavor is huge as well - tons of caramel malt mixed perfectly with that big citrusy hop backbone. Actually quite similar to an American IPA/DIPA in terms of that monsterous hops presence, but the flavor itself is a little bigger even than your standard IPA. A really excellent beer, another tasty and unique monster from Allagash.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A couple of things before I start my review. First, I am a hop head of the worst sort. I love hops and AIPA is my favorite style of beer. Out of 250 reviews thus far, almost 25% of them have been of IPAs and DIPAs. That being said, I have been having a hard time wrestling with Belgian IPAs. I want to like them, I just haven't found one that I like as much as an AIPA, but I am still looking. Second, Hugh Malone was a pioneer in hop utilization and I have read his book, "Using Hops in Brewing" and respect him as a pioneer in American beer and the use of hops as a flavor and aroma component of beer and agree that beer has been hijacked as Hugh put, "by a group of idiots." By pushing the boundaries of beer and ingredients we recapture the beer market from the idiots, we try harder and we know more and produce a better product. Here's to you Hugh.

Beer served on draft. Beer is yellow in color with a thin, white, broken head. Carbonation is moderate to low and there is lacing on the glass as I drink it.

Beer smells primarily of citrus-like hop aroma. There is also a slight ethereal flavor in the aroma. Overall it smells sweet and hoppy. Let's see how this tastes.

This is what I don't like about Belgian IPAs. The styles of Belgian beers used for the platform for the bittering and flavoring hops are delicate beers to begin with. They are actually tripels with very subtle flavor characteristics that end up completely overwhelmed by bitterness. This beer is no exception. When I drink a beer like this I think, "what would this beer be like without the hops?" Probably a Belgian Strong Pale, another beer that is not known for its over the top malt character or fruity spiciness but a clean bright flavor. The hop bitterness is what is most present in this beer. The citrus flavors (almost orange peel) is present in the mid and some in the front. There is moderate to mild sweetness at the front, but overall the hops mask almost everything. This beer is bright and bitter. Drinkability moderate, mouthfeel is fine. Beer is a little thin for my tastes.

4.78/5  rDev +21%

Appearance - This poured a beautiful off-orange in color with an immaculate head that was reserved yet full and left a white film with little white pits on top of the liquid and some nice foamy lacing on the inside of my glass.

Smell - This is amazing. There is no mistaking the rich, simcoe hops and they are here in force yet balanced with some other bittering hops and a nice malt structure. There is also a fine Belgian candy sweetness that tops things off. This aroma is quite simple yet incredible.

Taste - The hops carry the day at the taste, and again the simcoe dominates but in a nice, courteous way. The malts are a bit lighter but the candied finish from the nose is here for sure. I don't know that it is a classic BIPA but damn this is tasty.

Mouthfeel - This is a bit bigger than medium-bodied but not full with a wonderful, light, tingly carbonation and a satisfying sweetish finish.

Drinkability - I just loved this beer. It was rich, flavorful, unique, and exciting. I don't know how you would rate it to the style but for me this was excellent.

4.3/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle, batch #3, drank on 11/6/09, poured into an Allagash chalice. A beautiful bright copper, slightly cloudy body with good carbonation underneath a four finger, fairly tight, head that slowly dies to half of a finger. The nose has a nice big hop profile, herbal and piney, some sweet malt, a little bit of the classic Allagash yeast character, but definately hop dominant. The taste is more of the same, herbal/piney hops upfront, supported by a great malt backbone, a little bit of booze, some great yeast funk, some tropical fruit flavors, very complex. Mouthfeel is a creamy, medium body, just a touch overcarbonated for me. This is a great belgian style IPA, I will certainly be picking up some more of this!

3.55/5  rDev -10.1%

Pours a cloudy golden amber orange with golden orange hues when held to a light source and a thick, pillowy 2.5 finger white head with excellent retention that slowly settles into a lasting cap that leaves chunky rings of soapy lacing in it's path.

Spicy hoppy aroma with lots of estery crisp golden fruit notes, especially grape, apple and pear with a subtle malt presence underneath.

Soft carbonation up front with a lightly hopped creamy medium body with some earthy dry pine notes that linger throughout. Sweet estery golden fruit notes from the Belgian yeast. Apple and pear dominate with hints of grape and raisin. Subtle malt backbone provides nice balance. Slight alcohol warmth present throughout yet the ABV is decently masked making it quite quaffable. Very resinous dry pine hop flavor in the finish.

3.78/5  rDev -4.3%

Nose is cleanly malty with fruity/floral hops. Smells pretty good.

Pours slightly hazy with deep straw and butterscotch yellow highlights. Moderate head. Looks pretty good.

Flavor follows nose. Fruity hops, some V8-like pungency. Nice stiff bitterness. Mild alcohol. Soft malt. Sugary attenuation, crisp body. Fruity esters mild. Softly toasty biscuit malt. Some spicy hop, some herbal earthy leafty. Some honey-like sweetness. Mild alcohol increases along with bitterness makes a seriously dry finish. I noted some medicinal plastic notes after reading up. Finishes bitter/dry with notes of orange. Tastes pretty good. Feels good. Pretty good drinkability.

Kudos to Hugh Malone!

4.47/5  rDev +13.2%

750ml Bottle
Caged/Corked
Batch 3

Poured into a chalice a very nice golden orange color, nice carbonation, very nice one-finger creamy off-white head, with lots of nice sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, yeasty, with some slight hop notes, slight citrus. The taste is sweet/bitter, malty, yeasty, slightly hoppy, some citrus notes. Medium body. Very drinkable, this has got to be one of the best Belgian IPAs I've had to date.

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%

From an aged 750ml bottle, not sure what year but it's at least two years old.

Pours a beautiful orange/copper color with tons of head, actually, the foam kind of just started flowing out of the bottle once I popped it, fortunately I managed to save most of it.

As a Belgian IPA, you would expect hops, but considering it's from an aged bottle, I'm mostly getting a strong malt aroma with some citrusy elements.

The taste is finely carbonated, hops have definitely died down from what they may have been, instead what is left is a complex malty Belgian IPA with a woody presence, the strength is well hidden and not evident at all.

I really enjoy this beer and thought I'd do a review of an aged bottle over a fresh one should people want to keep and try older bottles.

4.35/5  rDev +10.1%

A two-tier review. I made my notes while enjoying my first snifter, I will incorporate those into the live review while I have my second glass. From a 750ml, priced nice @ <$9... at Gasbarros, of all places. WTF? Gasbarros is notorious for price gouging, and yet I get this well under the $15-$19 paid by most. Hmm.

A- A fantastic head on this one. Instant lacing, this is like big, billowy clouds settled on my beer. Coloration is a toffee-orangey brown, and the head is lasting for days. Looks as light as air.

S- If they were going for a Belgian IPA, they hit the nail on the head. Floral hops are most noticeable but don't have a hint of pine, bitterness, grapefruit, or anything 'abrasive'. There's a definite saison quality here, very aromatic yeast. Mild funk, very mild, actually. There's also a faint meaty nuttiness, like almond paste is the best way I can describe it. Finishes with a twang of tartness. Complex, to say the least.

T- Hmm. Hops are stronger than the nose would have you believe. They are the set up, though, not the main event. The hops step aside for the spicy yeast qualities that have me really digging this beer. A lot of reviews call this beer one-note... either the age has done wonders or I have a blessed tongue.

I taste orange zest, honeydew melon, watermelon bubblegum, a mild metallic/copper note, peppercorn, horse-blanket funk.. mmmm!

This is more aggressive than Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel, and the two are neck-and-neck in my book. Houblon Chouffe has a stronger hop presence, while Hugh Malone is a bit more nuanced in its presentation, with a much stronger yeast quality. Almost too spicy... but it's not, it's awesome. This is one of my instant favorites (take into consideration that I've only had a handful of Belgian IPAs). Not as funky as WildDevil... but more varied on the tongue. Very tasty.

M- Perfect. Enough hops/peppery yeast to compliment the near-perfect body. A bit heavier than your average IPA, the Belgian-esque yeast does wonders at keeping this beer afloat.

D- High. Going back to clear out the stock. I found this beer to be more complex than what most reviews allude to. I also noticed the number one complaint about this beer was the price point, as some paid $15-$20 for this one. At $8.79, I feel like I hit paydirt... this beer is amazing for the price. I looove this beer.

3.63/5  rDev -8.1%

(From notes)

A - Poured a slightly hazy peachy/yellow color with a nice frothy pure white head that held well

S - Belgian yeastiness; light grapes and apples; didn't really catch any hoppiness; little grassy and bready

T - Mirrored the aroma, and only really got a bit of an earthy/herbal hop note; otherwise light fruitiness dominated

M - Thinner to medium; pretty tame and soft carbonation; touch chalky

D - Not bad drinking, and at least the alcohol didn't really rare it's head. Too bad it wasn't more interesting

Nothing really off, but not one of my favorite's from Allagash.

3.68/5  rDev -6.8%

Thanks to discovolante65 for the bottle. This is a special release beer and is considered by Allagash as a "Tribute Beer" which is for charity. I guess that makes me happy for the cause. 8.5% alcohol, 750ml.

Pours into my Duvel glass with a foamy three finger head. Half dissipates quickly and the other half sticks around a bit. The liquid is a nice rich orange/red/amber with some definite opacity. By the time I'm done staring at it, the head is now a nice film floating over the beer, nice lacing is left behind.

Smells similar to the other BIPA I've had though slightly less robust and intense with the hops and more like a Belgian strong pale ale. Has some acute fruity smelling hops that meld with a belgian pale ale medicinal/herbal sort of scent.

The taste of this one is a bit of a letdown compared to the other BIPA I've had. The flavor upfront is a bit stale. it is juicy and malty, reminiscent of a sweeter dubbel or tripel, but it is also somewhat lacking. Hops are there with some citrus/medicine/herb flavors and some bite in the end with some prolonged bitterness. The hops seem too pungent and one-dimensional. Just had a simcoe IPA last night but this one did not impress me as that one did. Alcohol is present and bites the tongue and throat a bit, it could be better hidden. I didn't particualrily enjoy the mouthfeel it had a bit of a dry finish but was also watery and oddly carbonated.

It's hard to compete with the Belgians, and since this is a one-off product it may have been rushed a bit. But overall its a solid beer but weak categorically. It got much better as it warmed up and the yeast was swirled and poured in in the second pour, but the 750ml was quite enough, thank you.

3.55/5  rDev -10.1%

750ml bottle into wide mouthed (as recommended) valdieu goblet batch 3

appearance: hazy amber/orange with some red hues, very cloudy stuff, head doesnt really hold up to the wide mouth glass and dissipates quickly, besides that a very fine looking beer

smell: honey suckle sweetness as well as resiny hops, piney maybe a bit of rosewater type floral aspects. also some caramel/toffee undertones

Taste: alright im thinking this is aged... Malty almost like a barleywine, slighty toasty on the start with some caramel low-medium roast barley flavor, Still a nice hop punch with a carbonation that is actually surprisinly bubbly. Finish is all dry, astringent and bitter with more of an ipa finish that is not at all belgian to me

overall: really complex stab at this style im not really sure exactly where it fits style wise i guess belgian ipa works, sort of a style defying brew in my opinion worth the chance to try if your into beers that finish really dry and if you like allagash because they dont make many hoppy brews which this definitely is

4.08/5  rDev +3.3%

750ml poured into a tulip. Don't see any date listed on the bottle. From last nights notes.

Pours a dense orange amber body with a great large off white head. Retention is fair and leaves some damn pretty lacing.

Aroma is of sweet and bready malts followed by bitter and slightly pungent hops that in turn give way to some earthy Belgian yeast notes. As it warms up some oaky aromas start to come through.

Flavor follows the aroma but in slightly different proportions. Still sweet and bready followed by that great Allagash yeast. Hops have slightly more citrus than on the nose along with an almost smokey character.

Easy drinking balanced carbonation is just right for the style. Walks the line on which way the balance on the flavor is going keeping your mind off the abv which helps keep it very drinkable.

Overall one of the top American Belgian style IPA's but I have a feeling this bottle was older than others I've tried and the hops have mellowed out a bit. I'm cheating a bit and upping the score a bit based on those other tastings. Score would be even higher if I had taken notes the times I've had it on tap.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A passable American take on a Belgian take on and American style. On tap at a far too busy Ginger Man in NYC and served in a snifter.

A rich, clouded gold pour with a large scoop of white, creamy foam and impressive lace. Aroma of pineapple, candied fruit, floral hops, orange and hints of pine, spicy yeastiness and brown sugar. Really impressive. The flavour isn't quite as good as the nose, because the sugars tend to dominate at the expense of the other notes and overall drinkability. Hoppy and bitter of the bat, with citrus rind and grassy notes. Sweet malt and candy sugar overlay pale malts in the middle. Slightly warming, spicy finish with a reassertion of bitterness. Medium body and carbonation.

Hmmm... probably not in the upper tier of brews, but still a decent stab at the style. I felt that the sweetness hindered the drinkability for me, and if that could be reduced this could be a real winner.

if you want to spend less buy half moons Obama Presidentail Ale for 4 bucks instead of 16 for this garbage. EXACT SAME THING.

pours a slightly cloudy golden yellow color, with a thick, fluffy, white head. the head fades very slowly, leaving a massive lacing.

This beer has a very mild aroma. It is rather dificult to pick out any specific aromas. It has a slight grainy aroma. Some slight citrusy lemon aroma is also present. Not much going for it.

This beer tastes like it smells. Very mild, and hard to pick out flavors. Some lemon citrus flavor is present, along with a slight grainy taste.

This beer is light, and crisp. It leaves a very light grainy aftertaste. Carbonation is well for the style.

This beer would probably make a decent session beer. It is light enough, and the flavor is certainly mild enough.

Overall: I wanted this beer to be great, but it just wasn't.

3.8/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On tap into a snifter:

A: Beautiful clouded orange-gold color with a solid head and a good cap and lacing.

S/T: Very herbal. The hops are present but not as strong as they could be, even for a Belgian. A good cherry profile as well, possibly some side citrus from the hops. Sweet candy-like malt balance with the hops was good.

M: Nice and mellow. Full, but not too full.

D: This is an extremely pleasant beer. The flavor profile is not terribly dynamic, but it's well-rounded overall.

3.88/5  rDev -1.8%

25.4 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a medium amber, nice off-white head.

S: Herbal hops, nice balance with some sweet toasty malt.

T: Almost tasted like an American IPA initially, there is this very pine forward initial flavour, but then it melds back into earth and herb. Sweet caramel malt provides a good balance.

M: Medium-bodied, smooth, oily.

D: A solid example of the Belgian IPA style, the only problem is, with the $17 price tag, I'm expecting something exceptional, not just a 'good' beer which this is. If it's ever on-tap I'm sure to revisit it.

4.1/5  rDev +3.8%

On tap at The Pony Bar.

A-Pours a hazy gold with a foamy white head and good lacing.

S-Very nicely complex and deep. Floral notes mix with a pineapple sweet hoppiness, malt and Belgian yeast.

T-Sweet malt starts it off, trailing to a sharp hop finish. Some alcohol in the finish that I did not expect or care for. Otherwise, quite nice.

M-Medium bodied with a lingering boozy heaviness.

D-Very nice except for the strong presence of alcohol.

HV

3.83/5  rDev -3%

Reviewed on 06/22/2009. I had this on draft. Pours gold with a small white head. Aroma of bready/yeasty malt with spices and sweet fruit. Flavor of sweet fruits initially with a yeasty finish. Pretty tasty although I don't get the hops. Good BSA though.

Allagash Hugh Malone from Allagash Brewing Company