Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Allagash Black - Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash BlackAllagash Black

rAvg: 4
Allagash Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: Bassetdawg on 12-14-2007

Allagash Black is a Belgian style stout brewed with 2 Row barley, torrified wheat, oats, both roasted and chocolate malt and a generous portion of dark caramelized candi sugar. The silky mouth feel is a great balance to the roasted character, coffee and dark chocolate notes expressed throughout this beer.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Allagash Black Alström Bros
Reviews: 687 | Hads: 2,394

This is one of if not the best example of an American-made Belgian dark ale I have ever tried..

A: The name says it all. Very dark brown/black, with a tan head.

S: Malty, chocolatey, spicy, etc, etc, etc..this bouquet is amazing.

T: All of the aromas you pick up initially, certainly come to fruition when you take your first sip. Full-flavored, and nicely balanced between start and finish. Warm yet not overpowering aftertaste.

M/D: Velvet on the tongue. Full-bodied, yet easy to drink. Tiptoes the line between one-off and session beer. Surprising for such a high-alcohol beer.

This review was written based on my cask tasting, but since then I have had a regular tapping as well as many 750ml bottle pours. All were/are fantastic. One of my personal favorite beers, of which I have several now aging in my basement. (824 characters)

4.99/5  rDev +24.8%

Had this very tasty beer with a Plate of BBQ at Tennessee Jed’s- Seaford NY. Label is plain, beer pours nicely, strange little bubbles for such a dark beer. Quite surprising was the taste, I expected more Guinness, but there was a crisp sweetness, and soon realized I will need a second.
Highly recommended (308 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +23.5%

750 ML corked & caged bottle > Chimay Goblet/Duvel Goblet

This is a very dark brown color, not opaque with only a bit of ruby red light popping through the top. The crown is a swirly, creamy mocha color rising 2" with a classic fluffy cap. dissipates slow with a nice peak in the middle. The center of the crown is very bubbly and remains so.

The aroma is simply wonderful. Sweet malt complexity with chocolate cocoa mix, chai tea, Hershey's chocolate, honey, brown suagr, peanutbutter and then comes the extreme fruitiness! blackberries and boysenberries up-front that's gentle and very inticing. There's tangy, wild hop like earthiness to round it out.

This Belgian-style stout has a very lively and crisp feel that is classiclly Belgian but with the massive malt complexity it really is very smooth going down. I'm loving the bold flavor's of a stout with the luxurious feel of a Strong-Dark Belgian ale. Flavor's range from big, ripe dark fruits and berries to mild and sweet milk chocolate, brown sugar, and malted milk balls. The wonderful balance between the chocolate and sweet fruity flavor's is only enhanced when the spicy, earthy hops kick in right at the end with the well-hidden 7.5% abv heat. No trace of bitterness in this stout. Think Belgian Strong Dark ale meets Obsidian Stout. amazingly complex, yet easy to drink. A smooth yet lively feel, full but approachable makes this complex yet easy.

We have a winner! unique with a perfect balance, complexity is off the charts...I just don't want to see it end!! (1,539 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +23.5%

I wanted a beer one night while in San Francisco and I saw this beer in a 4 pack and it caught my attention. I decided to give it a shot. The first thing I noticed was the very mild smell, I don't know how to describe the smell but it makes you want to taste it. The taste is one of if not the best stout I have ever tasted. It has an amazing flavor while still being very light and mild (allot of dark beers make you feel like you just ate a meal). I would recommend this stout/beer for anyone who enjoys a flavorful beer. If you aren't a fan of darker beers trust me when I say give this one a chance it combines the best aspects of beers, Dark: Great Flavor without being bitter like allot of darker beers, Lighter: Very light with a mild taste that makes you want to keep drinking it.

I have for sure found my new favorite beer. (834 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +22.3%

A: Very dark brown, practically black. Nice tan colored head with weak retention. Lots of lacing.

S: Fresh roasted coffee malts, both bittersweet dark and milk chocolate, with some hints of dark candied fruit, wood, and Belgian yeast.

T: First of all, huge malt profile. Amazing roasted coffee and semisweet chocolate flavors. Astounding. There is just enough earthy Belgian yeast to balance the body from a stout to a Belgian style. Fresh oats, barley and the Belgian yeast enhance the malt flavor in the body even more. Smoked wood is present, along with the dark fruits such as grapes and pomegranates. Beautiful coffee flavored aftertaste.

M: Malty, sweet and bitter. A fantastic balance of flavor. Medium body with high carbonation.

D: If this were just a teensy bit less carbonated, i would call this a perfect brew. Still an A in my book though, for sure. (866 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +20.8%

750 ml corked and caged. popped loudly when de-corked.

Poured into my Kuhnhenn tulip glass. Poured an almost opaque dark brown with a 1 inch tan head that settled to a thick rink with some floating foam and tons of nice lacing. Very nice looking!

Smells of belgian yeast, bready, and roasted malt. smells sweet.

This one has all of my favorite things. The funky bready belgian yeast flavor, the roasted (but not burnt) malty flavor of a good porter or medium bodied stout, and enough earthy, peppery hops to make it finish dry and clean. Not sure what else i could ask for.

This one is medium bodied, plenty of carbonation, and dry-ish finish.. nearly perfect here too.

I am not sure where the 7.5% is, i cant taste it or smell it. I think it will find me at the bottom of the 750 since i will have no problems finishing this by myself. This is one i could session easily, and really enjoy doing it, if i was not driving. I dont know what the hype factor was, but this is A+ for me. I wish i had a case of this. (1,019 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +20.8%

Enjoyed this beer thoroughly. From the very first sip to the last. Served on tap from British Beer Co. in Westford MA

Definitely one of my favorite Allagash brews. Possibly top ten overall.

Belgian styles are always a favorite and to have the dark dark strength of this black makes it something special. (307 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

OMG, this kick ass. I dunno if I can explain it, so just go get it. Here's a try: black beer, full body, really flavorful, little carbonation, huge taste that stays on your palate.

Why are you still reading this review? Go get some of this beer!

Thanks for reading this luddite review. Enjoy. (295 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +19.3%

Poured from 750mL btl into Duvel tulip at 45-50 degrees.

Nice two finger head with a dark black color on the beer as well as a dark amber hue. Good retention, little lacing.

Aromas of plums, figs, grapes, roast grain, espresso, yeasty black bread notes, a dark earthiness, and a subtle dark chocolate undertone.

The toasty, espresso flavors linger onto the palate with ripe fruit showing up as well. Subtle fig, vanilla, cocoa that swirl with the rich, opulent, creaminess of this superb beer. Excellent, silky finish. I honestly don't know how you could improve this beer. Cheers! (584 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +18.8%

A nice dark coffee color spills out of the corked belgian bottle producing a wonderfull deep tan head that resiansates to whipped cream and the reseeds to droplets atop the the oil slick in the glass.
Black malt attacks the nose with burnt toast, herbs and dried fruit.
The palette is next in line for the assault for the burnt toast with a fade into vanilla, sweet coco and a malty caramel moca blast.
Some bitter chocolate is present through the palette.
The mouth feel is like an espresso with carbonation and a beer flavor.
Comes out dry and sweet with an after taste that makes you wish you were drinking from a bottomless glass.
THE HAS EASILY MOVED INTO THE BEST 5 BEERS I HAVE EVER HADE! A MUST TO TRY! (711 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a nice black with thick lacing that remains on the glass for a while. Smells of cocoa and coffee with slight date/cherry in the background. Mouthfeel isn't too thick but very silky which coats the palate well and lingers with the coffee and chocolate notes being perfect on the initial sip and aftertaste. Definitely a wonderful beer for a chilly night but sneaky on the alcohol content which you don't taste.
Overall: one of my favorites, cocoa/chocolate/silky (468 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured out of the 750 mL bottle into a goblet
Served cool and then allowed to warm up

Body is a dark black walnut and cola with a tan thick head

Smells like dark chocolate herbs and some alcohol

Nice and sick chocolate flavor certainly has some herbal qualities and a slight boozy finish

Medium to full and well carbonated

Very enjoyable and versatile can be drunk alone or with food I would drink this again (414 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +18%

Bought a 750ml bottle at Cold Springs in Yardley PA for IIRC $15.

Appearance: nice dark tone, didn't pay much attention to that since I enjoyed drinking it oh so much.

Smell: to me, it smelled like sweet canned corn, it's really unlike any beer I've had before, and I don't mean that in a bad way. Had a strong aroma as soon as I opened the bottle, in fact I liked the smell so much that I didn't wash the bottle for a few weeks after drinking so I could enjoy sniffing it

Taste: much like it's smell, it had a taste of sweet corn. it was my first beer of that kind so I can't compare it to others of similar brew but it was very good for me. Don't think this is a corn smoothie though, it still tastes like a good beer just with hints of corn.

Mouthfeel: don't really remember but it was nothing notably bad so I gave it a 4.5, simply because it's not the notable best that I've ever had.

Drinkability: I realy enjoyed it because of it's unique to me taste. A few friends and I finished the bottle fairly quickly.

Will definately get this again and I suggest you do too! (1,078 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +18%

Serving type: bottle, poured into pint glass.

First off the appearance of this beer is what you expect from the name but not of a Belgian Strong Dark. More of a stout type color.

Aroma was amazing. Slight roasted notes but also estery notes from the yeast.

Taste matched the aroma. The balance was right on for the type of beer it is. The roastiness was subdued but was detectable. The belgian qualities were also subdued but were more apparent than the roastiness. It made you want to drink more. Mouthfeel was creamy but was cut a little by the carbonation.

Overall a perfectly balanced beer that i could see would improve even more so on oak. The only criticism i have is the carbonation but it can be easily overlooked. Could drink a lot of this. (754 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +18%

Thanks to Bob from Bellakus for this fine gift. Shared w/ tenderbranson69, decanted at cellar temp into a goblet.

A - As close to black as deep brown gets w/ a band of 2 fingers high of light tan head w/ A pin sized bead. The lace is moderate and sticks well to the glass.

S - Spicy aromas w/ dark malt and coffee. Subtle cocoa and tobacco w/ hints of mellow woody hops.

M - Gentle woody feel w/ acrid roasted malt bitterness. Spicy Belgian yeast and touches of creamy sweet textures round out the feel.

T - Coffee-like, earthy and citrusy w/ bitter bean tastes. Starts off w/ peppery notes w/ toasted grain and subtle molasses-like dark candy sugar flavors. The taste is seemless w/ nice roasted and slightly burned biscuity notes-creamy in the finish like a stout w/ yeasty complexity that you expect from a dark Belgian ale or wit w/ lively nuances.

D - Love it! Could go on drinking this for hours if only I had a few more to share. It has comfort beer flavor w/ sweet dark malt, spice and a hint of warming alcohol that makes it an all around nice quaff. It reminds me of Hell hath no fury slightly and my own Zwartbier which is based on 1554 Belgian black ale. I recommend this if you like dark belgians or just want to try something new. (1,250 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +18%

750ml bottle poured into my Delirium snifter, Black is black, with a dense tan head that leaves heavy lace.

Smell is deep, dark fruit, milk chocolate, roasty, a berry like vinousness.

Taste is very rich and complex. Boozy roast, nice dark fruit esters, oaky notes, minty hop snap, fantastic balance, wow, I'm really impressed. A true masterpiece. As it opens, the esters really come out and say the balance from the stout to the Belgian side, getting better and better with every sip. I think this is a saison yeast , I love the fruits. Not sure I've given many, if any other beers a 5, to style primarily or otherwise, out of over 800.

Mouthfeel is exceptional, very silky smooth, great viscosity.

Drinkability is high, in that this is a fantastic beer. With exceptional depth, it's not one to drink with anything but a revered appreciation. Tempered by its limited availability and price, it's nevertheless absolutely worth seeking out. A benchmark for the style. (973 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +17.5%

Nose: prunes, raisins, spice, chocolate
Pours pitch black under a dense 2" tan tinted off-white foam cap, good lacing.
Palate: caramel and toffee flavors meld into chocolate over some spiciness - not much apparent hop bitterness and no big roast bitterness. Not as big of fruit presence on the palate as on the nose.
The texture really makes this beer - the creamy, very fine soft carbonation enhances the malt flavors and have you wanting more. The body is lighter than the flavor and alcohol might suggest but the creaminess makes it feel like more. Carbonation is a little above average. (594 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +17.5%

mmm boy. Never wanted to spend the $$ on this one, but if I see it again ina store, i'll pay the price. This was part of a beer dinner at the Charlotte Liberty Gastropub. Enjoyed this as part of a second course, with Cocoa Nib Crusted Yellow Fin Tuna with Braised Pork"Sheppard's Pie" and Irish Rose Potato-Herbed Goat Cheese Crust. I'm not sure I undertood the pairing, but by itself, this was world class. Nice subtle fruit notes, very easy to consume, and a solid medium body. Will get this again (499 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Delicious. Pours very dark, with a bit of a reddish tint in the glass. Aroma is mostly coffee with some hint of Belgian yeast. Taste is rick and complex: a strong coffee flavor (I can taste roasted malts) and some fantastic dark chocolate undertones. There's some bitterness at the end...the hops are represented as well. This beer has a nice middle-ground carbonation and a wonderful mouthfeel. Not at all syrupy like an imperial stout, but plenty of body to give this a very full mouth experience. Once again, delicious. (522 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +17.5%

I never feel like Allagash goes wrong for me. Had on tap at the Yard House which is a great place for my favorite hobby. Poured into a goblet. Fresh keg they told me. Keg must have been made by a midget as the pour was very short. I will look the other way. Sometimes the one you love disappoints you. Back to the beer. Smells chocolate my and malty, and has a deep brown color. This is a great beer...not overly heavy. Has a sweet cocoa taste but a nice carbonated fresh drink. Very great. Kudos...wish I had more...tears.... (526 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +17.5%

Comes out of the tap a deep opaque sable with a fairly thick tan head - very appetizing. Aroma is like well-roasted mocha and has just a hint of caramel. Flavor is rich and "stouty" - smoky with strong coffee and unsweetened chocolate components - and has just a touch of sweetness. Finish is smooth and very pleasing. A winner! (328 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +17%

A-About a 1" tan head on a black body.
S- Lots of spices, some banana, roasted malts, clove, grass hops, and just a touch of alcohol.
T- Big roast character with lots of spices to really help liven it up. Even just a hint of chocolate under some banana. Nice dry finish with cloves, chocolate, and burnt malt all staying around for the aftertaste. Alcohol is very well hidden in this.
M- Medium to full body with low to medium carbonation.
D- Think this is an excellent Belgian Stout. I couldn't imagine a better depiction of this style. (537 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +16.3%

Let's just say WHOA!

A. Black, dark with a huge luscious head, that starts off 2" thick in a 25cl tulip glass. The head reduces to a solid 1/4-1/2" thick and holds leaving solid lacing. Appearence=WOW!

S. Aromas of smoke come first with sweet notes of chocolate followed by fresh brewed dark roast.

T. Flavors explode following first sip. Mirroring the nose, subtle coffee notes followed by milk chocolate hints. Creamier than expected, but definitly not a milk stout creamy, almost a more sweet finish.

M. Tight, small carbonation allows for a balanced dleivery of the flavor profile with out interference. At 7.5% ABV. I expected more obtrusion but it is quite subtle.

D. Definitly could drink pint after pint of this brew, responsibly though! I now have a new task, to find Allagash Black on draft.

PS. Guiness has alot to learn! (839 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +16.3%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Libby stout glass.

Appearance: Pours a dark brown with heavy carbonation. Head is short. Held to the light, it has a kind of very dark amber appearance. Not much in the way of lacing.

Aroma: This beer has an inviting, complex nose of dark fruit, licorice, herbal notes, chocolate, and coffee beans. It definitely has aromas that entice the drinker.

Taste: The taste fulfills the promise of the nose, and then some. Chocolate and mocha are right up front, with those dark fruit notes very present. There's a lingering dark chocolate flavor that gets more pronounced as it warms. Some pleasant herbaceous flavor in there, too. Complex and enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: The balance is just right. It's velvet smooth, but imminently drinkable - not sludgy at all. The body isn't all that stout-like - more akin to a dark ale or maybe a porter.

Overall: A terrific beer - one to savor and enjoy. Inviting, complex, and delicious. A personal favorite that I'd recommend to anyone. (1,000 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +15.3%

This was an unusual and EXCELLENT beer.

Consumed from wine glasses, poured out of a 750ml corked bottle.

Pours, thick and creamy, nice caramel coloured head-which lingers nicely.

Colour is black...as the label suggests...when held to the light, very dark garnet shows around the edges.

Aroma is good, a bit Belgian in characteristic, roasty notes pronounced.

The taste is exceptional. Everything I love about Belgian yeast strains, fruity and wild, with everything i crave in a dark beer-roasted coffee and chocolate notes.

Mouthfeel is heavy, but appropriate considering the high ABV.

Exceptionally drinkable, but high ABV makes it a special occasion beer for me. Excellent with dark chocolate and white chocolate with dried cherries.

Drink this beer after dinner on a cold night with a friend. I can't wait to get back to the US to get more of this! (860 characters)

Allagash Black from Allagash Brewing Company