Allagash Black - Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash BlackAllagash Black

Allagash Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  7.50% ABV

Allagash Black is a Belgian style stout brewed with 2 Row barley, torrified wheat, oats, both roasted and chocolate malt and a generous portion of dark caramelized candi sugar. The silky mouth feel is a great balance to the roasted character, coffee and dark chocolate notes expressed throughout this beer.

(Beer added by: Bassetdawg on 12-14-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Allagash Black Alström Bros

UncleJon206, Feb 19, 2012

3bthero, Dec 26, 2012

Mick83, May 26, 2012

Maurod4d, Jan 05, 2013
1.73/5  rDev -57.2%

Yuck. This beer smelled like canned tuna. I'm dead serious.

I just don't believe that Belgians and stouts should be tried unless you're going to blow my mind away. This fell EXTREMELY short on all levels. The aroma was very off putting. I literally got roasted tuna.

The taste was the aroma magnified. I just didn't get it. It was a wrong marriage of two styles and flavors. I still have the aftertaste of tuna in my mouth. My significant other feels exactly the same.

Needless to say, I will never drink this beer again. Allagash is one of the most overrated breweries.

bball208, Mar 15, 2014

xk6m6m5x, Nov 21, 2013
2.25/5  rDev -44.3%

tjeppaint, Mar 15, 2012
2.33/5  rDev -42.3%

Thanks to InebriatedJoker for this. Spidder889 had his bottle around numerous times but it ended up being passed over each time. Seems I nearly dodged a bullet.

Appearance
There isn't a whole lot to this appearance, which I soon found out is some pretty strong foreshadowing of the beer to come. Its thinner than I expected; a burnt red, barely achieving black.

Aroma
Not much going on here either. Where's the decadent imperial stout goodness? I'm getting dry yeasty nonsense in the form of your typical "Belgian" phenols. There is some nondescript spice and roasted malts, but not enough deep fruitiness.

Taste
I noticed some metallic flavors, whoopee! The rest of the beer is very generic, mostly made up of steeped grains. A little bit of light roast and chocolate try to break up the monotony.

Mouthfeel
The body is thin, much thinner than it should be. But the worst issue here is that horrible, horrible carbonation. No wonder I can barely taste the stuff. The carbonation is far too high and fizzy. I've heard that CO2 tastes metallic, perhaps that's what I was picking up in the flavor profile.

Overall
This stuff is thin, way over carbonated and doesn't have enough redeeming flavors to save it. Not worth buying. Lately I've been very happy I didn't spend the money on Allagash beers while they were distributed in Ohio.

MbpBugeye, Sep 16, 2011

Mudawg, Jun 06, 2012

Liberatiscioli, Feb 15, 2014

jophish17, Dec 11, 2011

FrankHammer, Dec 16, 2013
2.58/5  rDev -36.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

From on tap poured into a tulip glass an interesting walnut red color with big brown opaque appearance. Faint chestnut colored head that leaves a ring throughout the glass.

A very closed bouqeut. Faint and does contain weak coffee notes but not fruit components whatsoever.

Taste is way too carbonated with a soda finish but has a neat bitter coffee and yeast like tinge.

This would have been great if it had some sort of fruit or estery component on the nose or taste but it doesn't. Very dissapointing I don't care for it at all.

smakawhat, Jan 03, 2011
2.73/5  rDev -32.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Pours in between black and deep dark red with a khaki head.

Smell is a bit fruity, belgium yeast, and a bit of roast.

Taste is very roasty, almost like an imperial porter, bit of a burning on the tail end. Red fruit present, but ash and bitter coffee dominates, the Belgium sweetness doesn’t come through in the flavor.

Slightly disappointing.

Smurf2055, Jul 20, 2013

PressFastF0rward, Jun 27, 2014

jessicapreuss, Feb 14, 2013

jk3, Feb 15, 2013

bf7, Aug 18, 2013
2.78/5  rDev -31.2%

I've had this 750 ml bottle in a temperature controlled wine cellar for over a year.

The cork was still fresh and holding pressure (it was stored on it's side at an angle). It poured black with a hint of red-brown around the edges when held to the light. It had a nice 3/4" tan head that slowly dissipated to an 1/8" cap that covered the surface for the duration. It left a thick, creamy lace in the glass.

The aromas were of dark chocolate, roasted malt and sweet Belgian yeast, but with a worrisome old ale smell.

The beer tasted oxidized. I'm not sure how long it had been on the shelf before I bought it, but it tasted old and not as vibrant as I'd hoped. There was still a distinct dark-roasted malt flavor with hints of espresso and bitter chocolate, but the age left an unpleasant taste in my mouth.

The mouthfeel was good - a medium-bodied beer with lively carbonation.

I have to say that the drinkability wasn't there. I love Allagash beers and think this one was simply stored too long. There was no date or batch number.

Aging is not recommended.

I look forward to trying this beer again and changing my review.

johncampbell, Nov 06, 2010
2.8/5  rDev -30.7%

In my humble opinion, this is the weakest offering from a great artisinal craft brewer.

I've made/tasted/sampled many "Belgian Stouts" over the past 10 years, and the only conclusion I've arrived at with general consistency is DON'T DO IT.

Why? Well, something about the yeast that brings out the soy sauce and licorice character of these beers. In extreme cases it tastes exactly like Kodiak chewing tobacco.

Good try with undoubtedly good intentions, but off the mark IMHO.

Sixpoint, May 02, 2008