Allagash Black - Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash BlackAllagash Black

Allagash Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  7.50% ABV

Allagash Black is a Belgian style stout brewed with 2 Row barley, torrified wheat, oats, both roasted and chocolate malt and a generous portion of dark caramelized candi sugar. The silky mouth feel is a great balance to the roasted character, coffee and dark chocolate notes expressed throughout this beer.

(Beer added by: Bassetdawg on 12-14-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Allagash Black Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

Poured into a Duvel glass.

Pours a near black color, with a tiny bit of red shining in the edges of the glass. Head is light tan. Has a massive pillow chunk head that sits on top. Head settles to a chunk lace head, nice lacing.

Brew smells of yeast, dark fruits, chocolate, roasted malts, slight coffee. Very complex, very tasty smelling brew.

Brew is very smooth; a bit of spicy yeast initially; dark fruits, wheat, roasted malts. A very complex tasty brew. This is a great tasting brew. Leaves a coating on the tongue and is slightly dry.

This is an absolute must try for any craft beer fan. If you are really into Belgian style brews and are a fan of dark brews, this will turn your head after the first sip. I want to pound this, but I have to sip and savor. Yet another top shelf brew from Allagash. Excellent stuff from an excellent brewery.

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

Thanks to Tim for bringing this down and sharing it with the Central NE BA Meetup.

A: Creamy 1 finger head fades semi quickly, over a pitch black color.

N: Great nose, nice roasty earthy bitterness from the charred malts, with more roasted malt, chocolate malt, chewy dark malts with a little creamy porter aromas, little coffee, fluffy, slight nougat and very hint of marshmellow, little hops, earthy chewy and spicy hops with a hint of grassy hops.

T: Fluffy, earthy roast, with lots of dark chewy roasty malts, chocolate malt, roasted barley, minerality and bitterness from the charred malts, but still smooth and creamy with a little chocolate milk and oatmeal almost, some bitter spicy earthy hops too. Also slight hints of nougat again.

M: Semi thick, a little heavier but smooth and creamy, with lower but decent carbonation.

F: Semi bitter, lingering earthy roasted malts and some bitterness. Chewy malts with lingering chocolate roast and milk, fluffy nougat still there, with a little roasted barley lingering. A touch of sticky sweetness, but a light dryness.

3.95/5  rDev -2.2%

"If it's black, send it back! If it's brown, drink it down!" - Homer Simpson

Contrary to the name Black is actually dark brown. Light tan head that looks so pillowy soft I want to rest my weary head on it. Thick sheet of retention rides down the glass and leaves thick swatches of foam. Shame about the color though...and the name.

Smells of earthy roots and dirt like a rich brown ale. Subtle hints of dark fruit and some char sprinkled in are the only real stout qualities. Taste is light charcoal and earthen chocolate. Richer as it warms.

Not much stout to this stout. It's good but doesn't live up to the Allagash name. Speaking of which, Allagash hasn't been living up to their price tag as of late.

4.03/5  rDev -0.2%

Appearance: Poured into a wine glass, this is a super-dark brown. Not quite black. Minor lacing.

Aroma: Smokey, hint of fig, roasted coffee beans, faint hops.

Taste: Decent layering of dark fruit, smokey malts, bitter cocoa.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, surprisingly. Also very carbonated.

It drinks like a blend of porter and a brown. I'm not sure any characteristics stood out as stellar, but I love the Belgian yeast aspect blended with the American stout characteristics that I love. All-in-all it's enjoyable. I like it even better on tap.

3.88/5  rDev -4%

This one has been sitting in one of my beer fridges for quite some time, so I figured it was about time to give it a shot. Our second and final beer of the afternoon, Kate and Ridgley joined me for this one. Split between the three of us and poured into snifters. Although not one of my top beers or anything, this one was definitely enjoyable to drink. Both the taste and the smell morphed toward each other throughout the session. By the end, they had basically flip-flopped. Very interesting to say the least.

A fairly thin, dark brown beer poured into my Portsmouth snifter. A huge sandstone colored head quickly surged to the top and wasn't in any hurry to return. A ton of thick lace was left behind as this one slowly backed down.

So we started out drinking this one right out of the fridge. At the time, the smell was led by the Belgian yeast spiciness that I was expecting. Cloves, a bit of coffee, but quite a bit of the Belgian spice. As it warmed up, the Belgian smells diminished to the point where they were actually very difficult to discern. A very roasty maltiness crept over the top of the Belgian and kicked it right out. Chocolate and coffee become the preeminent scents, with spiciness , cloves, etc. all but gone. Very odd.

After taking the initial whiff of this beer, I was fully expecting a Belgian taste to smack me in the tongue. I was quite surprised when I took a drink, looked around, and realized that the Belgian had left the building. Seriously, where was that spicy, yeasty taste I expected? Very, very roasty for a Belgian style...I guess that is where the "Black" comes in. At the very end, there was a bit of spice, but it was quite muted. However, as this thing warmed up, somehow the smell morphed into taste, and although it was no longer evident on the nose, this thing turned Belgian. Spicy, cloves, a bit of that fruitiness that comes from Belgian yeast. Again, quite different than I expected...but good!

The mouthfeel definitely fell a bit short. Medium-bodied with good carbonation, but no volume and nothing notable. Quite easy to drink, and certainly enjoyable. I'm not sure about the whole "Belgian and Stout" combination, but it was certainly something different.

Consumed: 6/16/2010

4.72/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Delicious. Pours very dark, with a bit of a reddish tint in the glass. Aroma is mostly coffee with some hint of Belgian yeast. Taste is rick and complex: a strong coffee flavor (I can taste roasted malts) and some fantastic dark chocolate undertones. There's some bitterness at the end...the hops are represented as well. This beer has a nice middle-ground carbonation and a wonderful mouthfeel. Not at all syrupy like an imperial stout, but plenty of body to give this a very full mouth experience. Once again, delicious.

3.68/5  rDev -8.9%

thanks to liquidarrogance for this...
Appears a dark brown nearing black with a dark tan head that quickly fades into a mlld tan head that mellows out into a mild floating film and collar. Spotty bits of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of roasted grains, ripe fruit, cocoa powder, and light astringency.
Taste is of the aromas with earthy minerals, cocoa, vanilla, and astringent graininess.
Mouthfeel is full bodied, yeasty, astringent, and lip smacking. A mild touch of cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanlla.

3.8/5  rDev -5.9%

This beer pours dark brown with a nice two finger tan head. lots of fizzing.(doesn't retain ead very long.) smells like malts, chocolate, hops. Tastes dark chocolate, bitter, woody, roasted coffee. decnt mouthfeel with a bitter finish. nice delayed alcohol effect. a pretty good offering.

3.88/5  rDev -4%

On tap at the Portland Lobster Co. restaurant this past weekend. Dark brown color to the body, almost black. Not as much head as I would have liked to have seen. Nice roasted coffee smell. Taste was a lot like a nice stout, but much more subtle. There was a nice combination of chocolate, cocoa, and roasted barley, but the mouthfeel was a lot more smoother than a normal stout. Also, the abv was in a manageable range, so it was an easy beer to drink. I like this beer because it satisfied the stout lover in me, but hit the spot for a nice dark ale with my meal. A unique offering from Allagash.

4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

After sitting in my cellar for a year finaly got around to reviewing this .

A- Pours a 1 finger head with lots of bubbles and a dark appearance.

S - Light chocolate notes with a some black liquious as well.

T - For the style it taste like dark belgian candi sugars which is what I believe the brewer is looking for. I like it and rate it high based on that .

M - Has a nice after feel nothing overwhelming but nice and worth the rating.

D - If this is the style that I am looking for I want this. Well done and will have again.

3.45/5  rDev -14.6%

750ml bottle consumed on 14.5.2010.

Pours black (go figure) with ruby highlights and big, pillowy tan head. Smells of malt & yeast, like toasted dark bread. Somewhat thin in the mouth at first, but a quick swish brings the natural carbonation to life. Tastes of roasted dark malt, espresso, and yeast. A very well crafted beer, but it doesn't really excite me.

3.98/5  rDev -1.5%

I picked this beer up at Spec's a few weeks ago and it has been sitting peacefully in my lagering cooler ever since. It looks like there is some sediment on the bottom, so I will try to pour it off of that. I am not sure what a Belgian Stout is by definition in "the guidelines", but I can use my imagination. Here we go...

Appearance: Pours a very dark black color with a thick head of tan bubbles after a very careful pour. The head got a little bigger after the pour and was a towering over the beer about two inches. There is quite a bit of lace left on the glass after drinking.

Aroma: Through the foam I got a defined chocolate aroma along with a noticeable floral Belgian yeast character. I may be picking up a little hops in the beer through all of the foam, but it is hard to tell since the head is so thick and not relenting so I can try the beer.

Taste: The beer has a bit more roast in the flavor than I thought there would be from the aroma. I am tasting the beer through the foam, so I am not getting much in the way of aromatics to go with the flavor. Overall the flavor is very well balanced with the malt being in charge the whole time. There is some hops in the finish so that it doesn't end sweet. The dark malts and alcohol are also contributing to the finish by riding a wave of carbonation all the way to the belly. There is a little warming on the back of the throat from the alcohol. The carbonation does a lot to keep this beer creamy and easy to drink. The attenuation is a tad high and the alcohols seem to get more "hot" as the beer warms up some, so this is getting a bit distracting as I make my way through the whole bottle.

Opinion: I am really enjoying this beer. It has a nicely presented malt profile along with plenty of carbonation and a reserved Belgian yeast character. That said, I am not sure how much I will be drinking this one in the future as there isn't a whole lot about it that stands out to me. I believe that I paid around $10 for this bottle, which is about the same price as a St Bernardus Abt12. I would drink it if it was more budget friendly but as it is I will be sticking to some other staple beers. I would recommend it to try...to see what happened if an Irish brewer got stuck in Belgium...

4.53/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

At pangaea, having a glass of this on tap.

A - pours a very pretty black, with and offshore head. Laces great with a nice head.

S - smells great. Hints of roast, slight hop in the nose. Very nice, and strong

T - this beer is very roasty, but not as much as a stout. It's got some yeasty esters in the aftertaste as well.

M - creamy, and not heavily carbonated. Complimens the taste well as it coats the mouth

D - this beer is very approachable. The drinkability is great due to the 7.5 being hidden and the fact that the beer doesn't have any off favors.

3.53/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Poured a deep brown color.

S: Roasty with bits of cocoa and floral, bitter coffee beans.

T: Flavor is roasted, bittersweet caramel malts, coffee and cocoa with light, red berry flavors.

M: Full bodied and naturally carbonated

D: Nice to try, but would likelt not seek out again.

3.9/5  rDev -3.5%

Source/Serving: Draft

Smell: Intense, fresh roasted coffee with some vanilla roundness. Reminiscent of mocha ice cream.

Taste: Intense medium level roastiness permeates everything. Has a delightful roast quality that, for me, is step up from the roastiness in most dark beers. Semisweet and oaky in the middle with some rich, raisiny fruits but not super exciting. Finish is semidry with beautiful roast cocoa, caramelized oaky malts, a pinch of ripe fruits

3.88/5  rDev -4%

On tap at Barleys last night. It had been a good long while since I had this one and decided to take a flyer on it again. Served in a pint glass, this one was consumed on 04/17/2010.

The pour was dark, nearly totally black with a nice two fingers of chocolate colored foam on the top of the glass. Settling down nearly perfectly with sticky lace that thoroughly coated the inside of the glass. Aroma is roasted malts. Charcoal and hints of spice coming through now as well. Touches of rye and a hint of a light peppery touch on the nose. Warming and very smooth flavor. Roasted malts, cocoa, hints of peppery rye and a nice touch of caramel round it out nicely. A little light and a touch overcarbonated made it feel slightly lighter then I would have liked, but I think it still kind of worked and I was able to pull enough out of the profile to keep it intresting.

Overall pretty good. It worked but needed to be a little fuller and well rounded to really make an impression.

3.23/5  rDev -20%

I am continually disappointed w/ allagash brews. I don't like the allagash white and I feel the same about the black. For an $11 bomber, it is really boring. There are so many cheaper stouts that I enjoy far more than this one. It lacked flavor and was over-carbonated. After I let it sit for a little while it improved a little, but I would not recommend this to anyone.

3.9/5  rDev -3.5%

Served in a tulip-shaped Allagash glass at Delaney's in New Haven, Conn.

A: Poured a deep brown-amber color, near black, with a very generous two-finger head of off-white foam which left some nice lacing on this bulbous glass.

S: Smells fairly roasty with bits of cocoa nib and floral, bitter coffee bean aromatics. A little fake, dessert candle aroma as well.

T: Flavor is the real deal; deep roasted, bittersweet caramel malts, weak coffee and cocoa powder with light, red berry and plum flavors. the hopping is light and just enough to balance the thorough malt sweetness of the brew. A slightly spicy, gummy, yeasty black ale with charred, sweetened malts added to the mix.

M: Mouthfeel is medium-full bodied and I'd hazard that it's best enjoyed on its own. A bit too viscous and savory for food outside of a carefully selected cheese pairing.

D: A nice, strong sweet bracer for a night out, or a good dessert accompaniment to a roast or BBQ fowl dinner. At 7.5% ABV, it's not like you'd pick up a bomber for yourself all that often. Good for what it is, but I'm unlikely to get it again.

Tullys, Wells, ME
1 Pint 6oz. Bottle
Pint Glass

A: Just a beautiful looking beer when you pour it into a pint glass. Dark black color consistently throughout the body. Definitely lives up to its name. Bright, white head that was fairly bubbly. As you tilted the glass, there were lots of tiny bubbles that kept the beer alive.

S: Very strong, smokey scents with hints of coffee beans.

T: Similar taste as smell with some chocolate flavors, but more dry like a French dark chocolate.

M: Well carbonated, surprisingly refreshing and smooth. Really satisfying.

D: It is a bit heavy, as would be expected, but certainly goes down easy and you can easily drink a lot of this in a short period of time. We actually had it with Corned Beef over St. Patrick's Day weekend and it was a nice substitute for a Guinness.

Black pour with a mountain of head. Aroma is dark fruits and heavy spices in the forefront. Earthy hoppiness creeps in along with some dry woodiness, booze, and a citric sting.

The flavor is very dry and woody. Not as much fruit as I anticipated. Spices are also toned down. Some marshmallow and floral hoppiness in the finish. With warming comes a bit more of the fruit, and the Belgian-style construction becomes readily apparent.

The body is on the full side of medium and the carbonation is plentiful and perhaps even a bit excessive.

Drinkability is good. At 7.5%, this is about the perfect strength to enjoy a bomber of. There is enough depth of flavor for enjoyment, but not enough to really wow me. Overall this is a fine beer and one and I would happily drink again.

4.03/5  rDev -0.2%

Corked and caged 750ml bottle poured into a Chimay chalice. Very thick tan head atop an almost black beer. When held to the light I get some deep brown and ruby edges. The head fades slow and leaves a solid ring of lacing on the glass.

A nice roasty sweet aroma, with some licorice and an underlying yeasty character. Taste is roasty at first, with some yeasty earthy notes. Licorice and alcohol dominate the middle. A nice sweetness that is not at all over done. I do not detect any hop flavor, but a mildly bitter finish does come through.

This is a medium bodied ale, not heavy and very easy to drink. A nice smooth mouthfeel throughout, with only a mild carbonation burn at the end.

Really much more of a stout that a Belgian Strong Dark Ale, and I assume this is exactly what Allagash was looking for. Some of the Belgian yeasty character comes through behind the roasty sweetness, and it all works very well together. Recommended.

3.45/5  rDev -14.6%

A: Pours a dark brown color with some ruby highlights around the edges. A large light tan head rises to about two fingers, but quickly recedes to a ring. Light lace is left behind.
S: Sweet toffee and Belgian yeast. Dank and musky with a metallic twang.
T: Sweet malt flavors. Some toffee and chocolate. Slightly roasted with an acrid coffee flavor.
M/D: A medium to full body. Creamy and smooth. Easy to drink. This is comparatively low on the alcohol for the style, and it makes it that much easier to drink.

Not bad, like most Allagash beers this is very solid. Though, like most Allagash beers this is nothing all that exceptional either. Still very much worth a try.

4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours a nice dark color (befitting the name) into a goblet. The head is a soft coffee color. There is only about an inch of head which does not last very long. The aroma is rather pleasant, being full of malts and coffee and toffee. The taste is coffee, malty, and not bad. The mouth feel is thick and rich. Certainly a stout to give a try. While I may not rush out drink this again in the near future, I certainly would not turn it down if offered to me. I hope to taste this beer on tap.

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

pours very dark brown, nearly black, just as the label says...
thick foamy head, leaves a lot of lacing on the way down.

smells of big dark roasted scents, a bit of coffee and chocolate, with some sweeter hints of fruit, corn, and malts.
tastes a little bitter initially, but boy do those toasty flavors come through. sweetness blends perfectly with the coffee and roasted malt flavors. just a hint of alcohol is present, but since this one is much lighter bodied than I expected for its style, I really don't mind.

can't wait to start grilling and try this with some steaks or burgers, I can tell the darker flavors would be great with any grilled beef with BBQ sauce. absolutely worth seeking out.

4.7/5  rDev +16.3%

Bought a 750ml bottle at Cold Springs in Yardley PA for IIRC $15.

Appearance: nice dark tone, didn't pay much attention to that since I enjoyed drinking it oh so much.

Smell: to me, it smelled like sweet canned corn, it's really unlike any beer I've had before, and I don't mean that in a bad way. Had a strong aroma as soon as I opened the bottle, in fact I liked the smell so much that I didn't wash the bottle for a few weeks after drinking so I could enjoy sniffing it

Taste: much like it's smell, it had a taste of sweet corn. it was my first beer of that kind so I can't compare it to others of similar brew but it was very good for me. Don't think this is a corn smoothie though, it still tastes like a good beer just with hints of corn.

Mouthfeel: don't really remember but it was nothing notably bad so I gave it a 4.5, simply because it's not the notable best that I've ever had.

Drinkability: I realy enjoyed it because of it's unique to me taste. A few friends and I finished the bottle fairly quickly.

Will definately get this again and I suggest you do too!

Allagash Black from Allagash Brewing Company