Join our email list →

Allagash Brewing Company
Maine, United States | website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale | 7.50% ABV

Beer added by: Bassetdawg on 12-14-2007

Allagash Black is a Belgian style stout brewed with 2 Row barley, torrified wheat, oats, both roasted and chocolate malt and a generous portion of dark caramelized candi sugar. The silky mouth feel is a great balance to the roasted character, coffee and dark chocolate notes expressed throughout this beer.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Allagash Black Alström Bros
Reviews: 698 | Hads: 2,501
4.1/5  rDev +2.5%

I received a 750ml bottle from a friend -- kept it for a few months before the itch to open it finally got to me.

A: This was the first Belgian Dark that I ever tried -- I was surprised that it poured so easily (considering it said stout on the label). It was pretty viscous, with a coffee colored head that lasted for a good while. Still, not quite as thick and soupy as I expected.

S: WOW -- where to begin -- this beer showed a ton of malt, licorice, coffee, and an abundance of yeast. I knew from my first sniff that this was a beer that I wouldn't share with anyone.

T&M: When I took a sip, coffee hit me initially. There were undertones of dark chocolate, anise, and a faint hint of hops. Hazelnuts were more noticeable as the beer warmed -- kind of reminded me of a whole wheat baguette with Nutella on top. Very complex, but the mouthfeel was a little sweeter and longer lasting than I anticipated (I decided to share it afterwards -- too rich for one person).

This might be one of my favorite beers. I love the complexity, and the variety of flavors that continue to evolve as the beer warms. I wish it came in a smaller bottle, a 750ml is definitely too much for one person to handle on their own. A 4-pack would be most welcome, but regardless of size, a fantastic brew that really warms you in the winter months.

4.52/5  rDev +13%

Poured from that pretty corked and caged bottle at the top of the page. The bottle clearly says "Belgian Style Stout," whatever that means. You have to buy that don't you? Before its poured, I already love it.

Appearance: Pours thin for a stout, super dark for a belgian dark. White-tan head with a little lacing.

Smell: Well, roasty stout goodness and bready belgian yeastiness.

Taste:Holy shit, its a belgian stout. Exactly how I wanted it to be.

Mouthfeel: Like the pour, its thin in the mouth for a stout. Well, not really. Its thin for an imperial stout which I want it to be. Otherwise, nice.

Drinkability: At 7.5% I have no intention of ever sharing this, other than to convert some anti-belgian stout/hopheads to the joy of more complex belgian flavors. This stuff is great. I'd love for some more breweries to try this idea-- make it 10%, thick, and syrupy.

4.33/5  rDev +8.3%

Questions have been raised as to whether this one is a stout or not. Well lets see.

Body pours like a black ale and settles black in the glass. Doesn't have the huge thickness though. Head is a rocky biscuity light brown that initially stands at nearly three fingers and has nice retention. Nose is soft but has some nice yeasty chocolate esters to it. Enters the mouth creamy smooth and really reminds me of a well made milk stout. Chocolate pastry feel kind of like a doughnut makes up the charmingly sweet body of this brew. The Belgian styling really shines through in a positive way. Mouthfeel is a blanket of coco and Belgian yeast that mixes well together. Exceptional drinkability and just right amount of alcohol. Belgian stout it is.

3.83/5  rDev -4.3%

Pours dark brown. Thin creme head. Flavor is quite dough forward. Lots of it. Too much IMO. Minor spices in comparison, but still enough to make a prevalent stance. Minor funky tone. Feel has a pretty biting carbonation. Liquid is well bodied. Eh. For a Belgian style stout, this doesn't work for me. It's not that this beer is bad though. I've had this numerous times and have been equally impressed each time.

3.58/5  rDev -10.5%

Pours medium to dark brown, but more like a brown ale than a stout - not as thick or as dark as you would normally see. Sticky tan head, decent but not outstanding retention. Smell is superstrong yeast - like a burnt yeast, in keeping with the stout theme. Taste just like it smells - sweet like a milk stout, yeasty like a belgian, with a slight roasty overtone bringing the two together. It really is almost more like a belgian strong dark, but it lacks the complexity you like to see in the style. Slight roastiness lingers on the palate, but it's like drinking a Coffee Coolada compared to the real thing - kind of artificial sweet, meant to approximate the real thing, but not to be the real thing. Overall medium body, definitely on the lighter side for a stout. No real depth to the roastiness at all, like imitation instant coffee is to real coffee. Almost tastes watered down. Drinkability is OK, not really hampered by the alcohol content, but by the way the yeast and stouty bitterness merge - not offensive, but a bit disconcerting. I'm not a huge fan of this brew, and Allagash has done far greater things.

4.2/5  rDev +5%

Got this from mikeale, thank you for this bottle.

Poured into a goblet at 46 degrees.

Appearance: A very dark brown the color of burnt motor oil. There is a one finger tan that creamy. There are few effervescence in the bottom of the glass. The clarity of the beer what clarity. There is a lot of lacing on the glass.

Nose: A nice dark toasty malt that is soft on the nose. There is some phenols, dried cherries, and very perfumery. I can smell the noble hops in the beer.

Taste: A very nice toasted malt, soft alcohol presences, there is some phenols, dried cherries, floral, and citrus.

Overall: The mouth feel is creamy and smooth. The body of the beer is thick, and finish is lasting and very good. I have recently became a fan of Allagash. Everything so far that I have tried has been wonderful. This is no exception. I love the balance and flavor throughout the beer.

3.93/5  rDev -1.8%

A - This beer poured a black color that produced a foamy tan head that had good retention and did a deceent job of lacing the glass

S - The only scent that I could detect was the Belgian yeast

T - The taste of this beer was very interesting, and the Stout characteristics were present, bitter chocolate, smoke on the finish, but also an added yeast funk that wasn't exactly my favorite, but it worked nice and was something different

M - The mouthfeel of this beer was a bit a downer, thin to medium body, but way to thin for a stout, and a moderate amount of carbonation

D - This was a very unique beer, not everything that I imagined in a Stout, but something new that was quite refreshing

3.58/5  rDev -10.5%

On-tap at Pearly Baker's in Easton, PA. I've been making the rounds with Belgian stouts and this one stands out, for better or worse. It was not my favorite so far. It's not as drinkable as, say, the 9% De Dolle Extra Stout, but it's also more flavorful. There's a strong grape/plum fruit flavor that's too strong for my liking. Aside from that, there are pleasant roasted grains, dry cocoa, and a hint of espresso, maybe. Worth a try, but not my fav.

4.03/5  rDev +0.8%

Starts with a nice inch thick frothy tan head, pretty much pitch black body, good lacing. The aroma is distinctly stouty, but also distinctly Belgian. Some nice chocolates and burnt malts, pretty soft, some funky yeastiness somewhere in the depths.

Taste is more aggressive than I"d have though from the nose, fair amount of roasted malt, delicate chocolates, some hints of dark fruits, a light peatiness, pretty nice. Mouth is well carbonated, over medium body, and has a decent feel to it. In all, a pretty neat beer, nothing to get too excited about, but I enjoyed it all the same.

3.55/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

On tap at The Big Hunt. Served in an Allagash chalice.

A: Pours black. Head is rather anemic by both stout and BSDA standards.

S: Dominated by spicy Belgian yeast with the faintest hint of roasted malts.

T: Cloying sugary and spicy. Finishes with roasted bitterness.

M: Silky smooth with plenty of carbonation.

D: Eh. Not really feeling it. I felt like this attempt at a Belgian-style stout ended up not really incorporating the best elements of each. It might be better out of the bottle, but I'm not looking to drop the $12 or so to find out.

4.47/5  rDev +11.8%

Split a 750 corked and caged with Stopper. poured at cellar temp into an SA "pint" glass. the beer pours a cola brown with creamy tan head of .5 cm foaming up and sticking around.
Aroma is cocoa powder and molasses with some bready yeast and brown sugar with hints of roasted grain to boot. First sip reveals a velvety smooth texture with soft mild spacious carbonation. Flavor is sweet and malty with no hops or hints of ABV. The beer finishes with a little roastiness and sweet brown sugar. Very easy drinking smooth brew. I recommend to all the "maltys" out there!

3.96/5  rDev -1%

750ml caged and corked

Popped the cork with little trouble. Poured with what has become and all too characteristic Belgian head. Thick, fluffy, and carbonated. Yet, it was cafe au lait. Most, strong dark ales have a slightly more scarlet color. Cool. The body was a dark woody black, with just a hint of brown hue shining through at the bottom of the glass. I was not terribly taken with the nose. Husky, corn-like, slighty witte-like nose belying the yeasty belgianness of the beer. It has almost the same exact nose as the Allagash Witte. Meh. The taste however, was infinitely more to my liking. Had the rich coffee flavors of a stout mixed with the cherry sweetness native to the dark Belgian ales. Very delicious. The mouthfeel was thick, but not chewy. Just enough of the bubbly, refreshing nature to keep it quenchable to my thirst at the end of the day. Despite the nose, I would definitely drink this again.

4.2/5  rDev +5%

750ml. Nice black pour with a creamish colored head. Roast aromas, mocha and some light fruits, red/banana? Tastes was a good mix of roast malt, cocoa, very light coffee. A little brown sugar, cinnamon roasted pecans. Really don't get the banana flavors I head about and lightly smelled in this. If the body was just a little heavier this could easily pass as a good stout. Finished dry and clean. Normally I don't care for Belgian style ale's of any sort, but this passed the grade with flying colors.

4.13/5  rDev +3.3%

750 ml bottle I got from Douglas14 out of the BA Fantasy Football payout. Thanks, man. It never crossed my mind to pick this one up, so I am very glad he sent it to me. Served this one up in a chalice.

A: Well this bottle opened with a huge pop, scared the hell out of me actually. Almost lost the cork because hat sucker was ready to go. Well it pours out of the bottle a really nice black in color. Held to the light it lets in some nice dark brown/dark red hues at the very top and bottom of the glass. Inside that red hue, you can find a nice stream of carbonation activity. The head came out a nice finger of mocha colored head. It fell to about half a finger and stayed pretty well from there. The lace is light, but what is there is damned sticky and keeps its place. Pretty good looking beer.

S: Smell is ok. It is pretty much dominated by a powerful presence of Belgian yeast. Lots of that yeast actually. Domination, people. Can't stress this enough. Somewhere hidden behing that you can smell a bit of roasted malts and chocolate. Behind that there MAY be a bit of dark fruits, not sure though. This area is a bit one demensional, but it is decent and not off putting at all.

T: I may be in love. I am not sure, but this is tasty. The cocoa is very nice and subtle. There is a lot more dark/bitter chocolate here than I was expecting. This of course plays well with some really nicely roasted malty goodness that is much like some caramel and bready goodness. This combined with the chocolate really blends nicely with that Belgian yeast flavor. There is a touch of sour darker fruits. Maybe some cherry and plum. There is also a pretty decent banana flavor, and I think that really brings everything together nicely.

M: This beer is lost somewhere between full and medium in body. It is hard to tell because this beer is so silky and velvety on the palate. This really sits light and just glides over the palate. Carbonation is the culprit here and I have to say it is making the feel as good as it is. There is a bit of ABV heat on the throat, but other than that the ABV is well masked. Aftertaste is mostly just some nice dark fruits and cocoa.

D: To tell you the truth, I went into this not expecting much of anything. With that said, I have been pleasantly suprised. I really enjoyed this beer and it drinks pretty nicely for a stout. The flavors are well blended and crafted making this beer . . . harmonious. Very nice overall and I think my girlfriend would really enjoy this as well. Too bad she is asleep, gonna have to finish this 750 all by myself. I will just have to find a way to make it.

4.1/5  rDev +2.5%

This was my second trip to the cask in the "Casks of March" Event at Rustico in Northern VA.

Well, what I can I say, the appearance lives up to its name. Certainly black in color with virtually no light passing through. A creamy lush light tan head formed atop the beer after the pour. Swirling the beer caused this head to cling fairly far up the glass and stick, much like milk would.

The smell is roasty chocolate, toasted grains, and cocoa dusted ripe banana. Quick anecdote: Once I got this idea of ripe banana in my head it was almost impossible to shake with this beer! Ripe banana became the focal point of the smell and taste with everyone at the table. Difficult to shake an idea once it is stuck in your head!

Taste....well.... ripe banana? Some toasty grains, clove, coffee soaked ripe bananas! :)

Silkly smooth mouthfeel! Awesome.

4.15/5  rDev +3.8%

Massive 1 pint 9.4oz brown glass bottle corked and caged. Black label with white lettering.
Opaque body only showing mahogany at the edge. Tan small bubbled head with good retention and lace.
Sweet scent of mild malts and gentle hops. Some licorice root and vegetable.
Nice mild flavor of malts and vegetable hops. Some almond and nutskin and a bit of vanilla.
Medium to full body, residual sugars and a nice semidry finish.
Great drinkability, very enjoyable.

-Oelergud

4.15/5  rDev +3.8%

I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. I didn't know what it was when I ordered it, but upon tasting it I found it to be Belgian-style stout or porter.

It was black in the glass beneath a full head of dark tan froth that took some time to subside. The aroma was soft, and expressed a bit of candy, some delicate dark fruit, soft chocolate, and just a hint of roastiness.

The flavor followed suit with the addition of some sweet clove and a gently toasty, caramelish-dark chocolate maltiness. It's a very smooth, velvety beer, and that may be cutting down on my perception of the roastiness. It seems more chocolatey than roasty, but there is a bit there. It's not rich, aggressive, or acidic in anyway. I think it tastes like the smell of diner coffee, if that's possible. A soft, underlying bitterness balances it, and the whole of it seems to simply fade away in the finish.

Quite enjoyable! I found it almost relaxing as it was rich and supple, and I enjoyed it at a much slower rate than I would have most other beers. Very nicely done, and at a good price.

4.17/5  rDev +4.3%

Excellent Christmas present from my dad. Pours a dark brown color, some lighter brown highlights. On top, a two finger tan head that dissolves quickly down to a fairly thin layer of film. A touch of lacing.

Nose is interesting. Roasted malt, chocolate, then some Belgian candy and molasses sweetness. Nice. Bread and cookies.

Flavor is nice as well - more stouty than the nose would let on. Light dried fruit and bread and candy malt for an instant, then rolls right into roasted malt. A touch of coffee and chocolate. A pretty good job of hitting that "stout" and "Belgian" mix.

Body is solid, although not quite as full as it could be (I had a couple oddly thin mouthfuls). Nice mild carbonation.

Overall a very nice beer, extremely unique and tasty.

3.61/5  rDev -9.8%

Review 1350 - what a journey!

Poured slowly into my Maredsous tulip, the black mass of goodness still cranks out an impressive tan head. Not unexpected, the cork from the 750 shot out like a cannon while opening this caged brew.

Enticing chocolate, molasses, coffee mixed with a malt-shake in the aroma. Dark fruit of plum and black cherry ask to join the dance for the quaff. Roasted coffee along with hints of the Belgium yeast add to a charming finish. A pop of cherry cough syrup does add some distraction, and it does thin considerably by mid-bottle. More dark ale than stout.

No taste of alcohol, but not surprising as this one only checks in at 7.5% - also a tad expensive at $12 for the low alcohol brew.

4.15/5  rDev +3.8%

Bottle from River's Bend.

Poured a black color with an average frothy off-white head that lasted and produced good lacing. Good roasted malt aroma. Medium to full body with a smooth texture. Complex roasted stout flavor with a medium bittersweet smooth finish of moderate to long duration.

Very well balanced standout beer.

4/5  rDev 0%

Lumpy, large off-white head. Recedes with a lot of webby lace. Deep, dark brown color where only the faintest of light shining through.

Initial smell is of the Belgian yeast. Soon it is overtaken by the darker malts. Some cream and "refrigerator" aroma. Light hop and alcohol in the background.

Full and creamy body with a light level of carbonation. This is predominantly a mocha flavor brew. The swallow and aftertaste has a good dose of hop. Well balanced. Notable alcohol warmth.

3.85/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours exactly as the beer is named: black. It is a black viscousy color with a very thin white lacing that barely exists.
Smell is very faint of chocolate malts and dark fruits, like plum. There is a good bit of sweet sugar to the smell too.
Taste is very nice on this belgian dark. There is a good balance of dark malts and chocolate against some sweet fruits and sugar.
Mouthfeel is a bit thin for my liking, however there is nice silky smoothness to the feel.
Drinkability is good for such a strong belgian dark ale. The balance of the two parts of the beer makes nothing overbearable in the drink. This is a nice representation of the style that is worth trying, but it will not blow your socks off.

3.71/5  rDev -7.3%

Serving notes: brandy snifter, cellar temp.
Aroma: slight sourness, light roast.
Appearance: Pitch black, completely opaque. Good 1" head. Nice lacing.
Mouthfeel: full body, fills the entire pallet, light carbonation.
Taste: Light roast is balanced perfectly with malty sweetness and a sourness that one would expect from a brewery like Allagash. Dry finish makes this a deceptively easy beer to drink. Very slight chocolate notes.
Drinkability: While this beer goes down easy, one bottle is good for the evening. I will definitely be looking for this one again though.

3.95/5  rDev -1.3%

Bottle courtesy of Ding as part of my Good, Bad and Ugly BIF package. Thanks!
Very dark brown with a fluffy tan head, lots of supporting carbonation rising to the surface. Lighter edges, chunky lacing. Aromas of dry yeast, bread crust, chocolate milk, malt, roast and dark fruits. Malt forward flavour, lots of chocolate notes (milk and semi-sweet), roast, dark fruits and a hint of sour cherry. Bitterness was average, making its presence known but not getting in the way of the malt. Not overly sweet though, with a bit of alcohol towards the end. Texture was decent, medium bodied with carbonation a little higher than average. Light warmth and a bit of dryness from the dark grains. Pretty good overall.

4.4/5  rDev +10%

Cask, into Imperial Pint.

Pours black with a healthy, creamy light tan head.

Nose is cocoa and roasty coffee, with a hint of floral hops mixed in.

Taste is so smooth - cocoa and roasty espresso meld with a mellow dark fruit & cherry note, and floral hops asserting themselves just enough to balance, with almost no acidity.

Silky smooth, with full but fairly light body. Really fantastic beer when cask conditioned. I literally did not want to stop drinking it.

Allagash Black from Allagash Brewing Company