Allagash Black - Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: Bassetdawg on 12-14-2007

Allagash Black is a Belgian style stout brewed with 2 Row barley, torrified wheat, oats, both roasted and chocolate malt and a generous portion of dark caramelized candi sugar. The silky mouth feel is a great balance to the roasted character, coffee and dark chocolate notes expressed throughout this beer.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Allagash Black Alström Bros
Reviews: 688 | Hads: 2,400
3.26/5  rDev -18.5%

The aroma is almost salty with chocolate, coffee and toasted malt. The appearance is dark brown with a nice large head. The flavor is like the aroma and bitter. The palate is smooth. Overall interesting but not great considering the brewer. I would drink again but still not what I was expecting. (296 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -18.5%

I am continually disappointed w/ allagash brews. I don't like the allagash white and I feel the same about the black. For an $11 bomber, it is really boring. There are so many cheaper stouts that I enjoy far more than this one. It lacked flavor and was over-carbonated. After I let it sit for a little while it improved a little, but I would not recommend this to anyone. (371 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -18.3%

A - Basic dark body with little head.

S - Mild lactic aroma with bitter chocolate and sweet biscuit and cherry notes.

T - Creamy, tart in enrty, with building bitter chocolate flavors that builds into the finish and mixes with cherry. Not crazy about this one.

M - This beer stuck me as too crisp for the style.

D - This beer really didn't work for me. Body was too weak, flavors were jumbled and didn't seem to compliment each other. Might need another taste, but seemed bad to me today. (493 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -18%

Poured from a bottle into a typical pint glass.

I had high expectations this beer and I was a little disappointed. The beer is considered to be a Belgian ale. But, frankly, the beer lacks character. The effervescence is apparent, like most Belgian ales. That's where the similarities end. Nothing jumps out at me when I taste it. There are no defining characteristics in the taste. Overall, this beer isn't bad, but I've definitely had better. (444 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -18%

Pours a cherry kola hue which leaves a bubble laden two finger head and sporadic lacing,the smell is quite subdued for my liking with aromas of dark fruits and dark sweet malts but i dont get much else,the mouthfeel is just medium bodied and creamy and taste is better than smell but not by alot with tastes of dark fruit,sweet malts,a touch of chocolate cherry,a touch of toastiness but not much and finished with a mix of very light coffee and plum jam and overall im not that impressed by this i mean i will drink the bottle and its not undrinkable by any means but it just doesnt have the smell of a BSDA and they say on the bottle its a Belgian style Stout and it doesnt have any characteristics of any stout ive sampled and i would not buy this again cheers. (764 characters)

On-tap at the Beachwood BBQ,

A: Pours black, per the name, good white head, good retention, limited lacing.

S: Mostly Belgian candi sugar, molasses, coffee.

T: Hit at first with dark fruit, fig then the stout character comes in, deep roasted malt, coffee, burnt sugar. The beer tastes like a cross betwixt a dubbel and a stout, though I don't think it really worked in this instance. Not a bad tasting beer by any means, it had it's moments, but I don't think I'd buy it again, but I'm glad I tried it.

M: Solid mouthfeel, smooth, medium-bodied, sugary.

D: A pretty drinkable beer from Allagash, interesting mix of styles, definitely worth a shot for the Allagash fan, though I though it was just OK. (705 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -17.8%

I picked this bottle up about a month ago. The beer got a lot of hype and given that I like most Allagash beers I had to try it. The bottle calls it a "Belgian Style Stout".

Poured into a tulip glass (bottle says to pour into a wide mouthed glass, but given the style on BA, I went tulip, which is wide mouthed). It pours a deep dark black/brown color with a 1-2 finger light tan head that linger for a bit.

Smells of roasted malts and a slight hint of coffee.

Taste is dominated by the roasted malty sweetness, but a slight hint of coffee and even a slight smokiness show up. This beer is all malt.

Mouthfeel is nice and medium-full bodied, nothing overly heavy, but definitely not light and thing. It has a lot of the nice tiny carbonation of Belgian beers.

This is a drinkable beer. It goes down easy, and makes for an above-average stout. Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out where the "Belgian Style" comes in except for the carbonation. Is it a good beer? Yes. Is it worth the $12-13? I don't think so. Would I buy it again? Only to age it for a year to see what happens to it.

Bottom line: There are plenty of good stouts and good Belgians (some by Allagash), this one just isn't worth the cost and definitely does not meet up to the hype. (1,252 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -17.3%

750ml corked and caged brown bottle, purchased at The Root Cellar, poured into a Chimay chalice. No dating.

A: Pours a nearly solid black with just a scratch of light on the edges when backlit. 1ish finger worth of khaki colored head forms somewhat creamy but a bit frothy at the same time. Decent retention and lacing.

S: Soft notes of deeply roasted malts... odd that such a robust aroma can be soft. Definitely a bit of char. Some sweetness from either burnt caramel sugar or burn molasses. Some light alcohol accompanied by light Euro hops. A touch of spicy yeast rounds things out.

T/M: Alcohol is pretty assertive for only 7.5% especially through the finish where it's pushing a flat out raw feel. Lots of deeply roasted or burnt malts... plenty of char and soot, maybe even a wisp of smoke. Very controlled sweetness in the back, burnt black strap. Hops are a bit more present and lend some oily resins to the alcohol and brings out some bitterness to a very soft super dark chocolate prick in the back. The Belgian yeast is tasty and nearly a saving grace. Body is nearly full and lightly cut by the tiny carbonation bubbles.

D: Not bad but it definitely pales in comparison to other great Belgian Strong Stouts like Black Albert and Bolshoi. 7.5% isn't extremely high, especially for the style but the alcohol is quite present and makes this drink like a much stronger beer. (1,387 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -16.8%

Had on cask at Moan and Dove. The appearance was great: it had a dark black look with immediate lacing. Very strong alcohol aromas were detected with other flavors such as mocha sensed in the back burner. It did have a pretty malty flavor but its alcohol aftertaste was wicked. I felt the mouthfeel was the weakest aspect of the drink: very low body feel. It was not watery or anything, but the drink lacked any spirit or soul to it. It was just plain flat I felt. Overall, this drink has some wonderful dimensions here and there, but perhaps I should try it beyond its cask. (575 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -16%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a solid dark brown with garnet highlights when held to light and a huge fluffy beige head that persists forever. I can smell chocolate, caramel, and spicy wheat with a bit of pepper and a hint of oxidation. Light sweet fruits mixed with a bit of yeasty funk and fruitiness round out the nose well. The flavor is chocolate and caramel up front followed by a huge ashy and then oxidized taste that seems odd. Light fruit and yeasty phenols sweep in to mop that up then a chocolatey roasty ashy flavor lingers long into the finish of every sip. Medium body with a high level of carbonation and a sweet bubbly mouthfeel. This one isn't bad, it actually grew on me through the glass, but I'm not sure I'd grab it again. (720 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -16%

I have heard Allagash makes some outstanding beers, so I saw this and decided to give it a try. It had a small creamy looking head, about one finger, that disappeared pretty quickly. I picked up on a chocolate and toffee smell, and a chocolate taste and a very present sweetness that lingered for awhile afterwards. I thought this beer was pretty decent, but the sweetness was a bit much for my taste, but it was worth it. (422 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

The color was a very dark brown, with a medium amount of tight tan foam and not alot of lace on the side of the tulip glass.

The smell had a burnt, overroasted aroma of malts, coffee, semi-sweet chocolate with a hint of, also burnt caramel.

The taste was had a very bitter finish. The burnt mixed with the bitterness was not what I expected in a dark Belgium Ale.

Overall, not my kind of dark belgium ale, to much bitterness, but, the turn off was the Burnt Flavor on the palate and tongue! (493 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -15.5%

A: Black as can be, nice tan head but quickly narrows down to a few bubbles holding on to the brim of the glass.

S: Not much going on here. Very mild roasted character.

T: Very light on taste. Knowing Allagash, I was hoping for something interesting and different. All I got was roasted malts, with a touch of chocolate. These weren't in your face like most of their brews.

M: The REALLY dark character and stout like characters throw me off since it's quite a light feeling beer. Was decent though...

D: This went back fast, would have another if it were a bit better overall.

Gotta be my least favorite from the Allagash brand, though I'm glad I tried it. (663 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Sadly my least favorite Allagash beer, lowest score I have given the brewery. I didn't know what it would be like, I just saw Allagash on tap and ordered immediately.

Appearance: Black or near black, decent head and lacing.

Smell: Big roasted malt and a bit too much coffee. Coffee completely dominates, perhaps a faint touch of dark chocolate as well, and dark bread crumbs. A bit earthy.

Taste: Coffee dominates, followed by roasted malt and some chocolate.

Mouthfeel: Relatively full body, but something is off about the carbonation.

Drinkability: I was very thankful I had only a glass, and not a bomber, of this one. (626 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -14.5%

Pour is dark brown with a light tan head. Nose is moderate roast, a bit of oily hop resin, notes of citrus, candied sugar and a touch of belgian yeast. Flavor is overly roasted, slightly bitter, citrus hop, lightly creamy with a hint of milk chocolate, light grainy yeast. Soft feel, high carb, creamy texture. (313 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -14.5%

on tap @ Pizza Port in Carlsbad, CA

A- deep brown to black with a milky head that doesnt stick around very long, patchy lacing

S- malty, roasted and burnt malts, some alcohol

T- malty sweet overall with flavors that include toasted caramel and roasted chocolate malts, though nicely balanced. chocolate and roasted aftertaste

M- full, wel carbonated body

D- some complexing but nothing i find outstanding, an easy dark beer for people who are afraid of trying a stout. i do like this better than Ommegangs' because the alcohol is better hidden (548 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -14.3%

nice taste but the first thing I thought about was how boring this was. It was a typical stout. I can think of 5 others that are less expensive that have much more flavor. When my wife tastes it and says "its not bad" I know it is mild.
This was a let down. (258 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -14.3%

There is something distinct about the aroma coming off this beer. I want to say it's kind of chalky with raisins and a bit of roast and toast.

The beer looks black but when held to the light it is very very dark brown. The head dissipates to a thin, spotty coat pretty quickly, but of what does persist it is a nice tan color.

Flavors are very roasty with a nice dark fruit notes like dark cherry and raisin.

Carbonation is on the high side with a nice creamy body and dry finish. Overall Allagash Black is better than average and I think is priced a bit high for the quality, but I'd probably buy it again. (610 characters)

3.44/5  rDev -14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a dark walnut color. As the beer hit my glass, it came alive producing a nicely controlled enduring head that laced the walls of my glass. Effervescence came alive from within the depths of the beer.
Not much of a nose-I noted perhaps a bit of alcohol and a waft of malt but that's it. Maybe, perhaps, possibly, a hint of yeast lurking around the confines of the glass.
Flavor was not particularly complex-- first hit my palate by the beer's effervescence. I would venture to say that's the notable part of the beer's flavor. I also noted toasted malt and the bitter notes of hops. I wish there was more yeast in the flavor. If the flavor was compared to a fabric, it would be one I could readily see through. The hops helped to leave a clean lasting finish. Also adding to the finish was that notable effervescence.

Mouthfeel was thin although it wasn't uncomfortable.

Drinkability - moderate. I think if I were served a pint of this beer , upon the next round I'd ask for something else.

Now the final criterion--was it worth $12 something for 750ml? Hmmm... good question. (1,087 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -13.8%

750ml bottle consumed on 14.5.2010.

Pours black (go figure) with ruby highlights and big, pillowy tan head. Smells of malt & yeast, like toasted dark bread. Somewhat thin in the mouth at first, but a quick swish brings the natural carbonation to life. Tastes of roasted dark malt, espresso, and yeast. A very well crafted beer, but it doesn't really excite me. (362 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -13.8%

02/21/11 - Had on tap at British Beer Co. in Hyannis, MA.

10oz Chalice

A: Pours almost black with dark brown highlights, 1 finger creamy khaki colored head, lacing was minimal.

S: Smells of dark roasted malts, some dark fruits, hint of smoke, licorice, and a bit of alcohol.

T: Dark fruits, roasted malt, a decent bit of hops, anise, licorice; I pictured slightly spiced up black jelly beans? Wish I had picked up some of the chocolate or coffee others had mentioned.

M: Medium with decent amount of carbonation brightening things up, finishes semi-dry with a touch of alcohol

I'm fairly new to the craft brew scene and this is my first Belgian Stout so I probably don't know what the hell I'm talking about... wasn't bad, reminded me of a Black Ale, I'd give it another shot. (782 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Served in a snifter at Firkin.

It has been too long since I last had this stuff, so it's nice to find it on tap at my favorite haunt. It pours a straight onyx topped by a finger of khaki foam. The nose comprises light dark chocolate and very light roasted malts. Everything is too vague and ethereal to get a good read from. The taste brings in more of the same, though everything is quite stronger, and there's the added bonuses of some very light anise and a hint of a spice medley. The body is a stolid medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a fluid feel. Overall, despite a meek smell and a slightly thin body, this stuff ain't half bad. As the prototypical Belgian stout in the States, I can easily appreciate the effort. (734 characters)

In a Bruery tulip glass

appearance: lovely red-brown with persistent head

smell: coffee, chocolate, smoke

taste: coffee, black licquorice, dark fruits

mouthfeel: watery, a little effervescent

overall, a nice ale, but not one I'll be searching out again (257 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -13.5%

A: Pours a dark brown color with some ruby highlights around the edges. A large light tan head rises to about two fingers, but quickly recedes to a ring. Light lace is left behind.
S: Sweet toffee and Belgian yeast. Dank and musky with a metallic twang.
T: Sweet malt flavors. Some toffee and chocolate. Slightly roasted with an acrid coffee flavor.
M/D: A medium to full body. Creamy and smooth. Easy to drink. This is comparatively low on the alcohol for the style, and it makes it that much easier to drink.

Not bad, like most Allagash beers this is very solid. Though, like most Allagash beers this is nothing all that exceptional either. Still very much worth a try. (672 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -13.5%

Aroma of dark candy, Belgian yeast, malt.

Pours a chocolately dark brown with a good 1-2 finger head that settles out into a nice thin head that laces well.

Slightly thin mouthfeel, not a ton of body, but certainly tasty.

Finish is just a tiny bit sweet with bitter chocolate. Overall, a very unique beer. (309 characters)

Allagash Black from Allagash Brewing Company