2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Allagash Tripel Ale - Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Tripel AleAllagash Tripel Ale

Allagash Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

This strong golden ale is marked by passion fruit and herbal notes in the aroma, with suggestions of banana and honey in the complex palate. The Tripel has a remarkably long and smooth finish.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-08-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Allagash Tripel Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,812 | Reviews: 848 | Show All Ratings:
bball208

2.15/5  rDev -48.2%

This ranks in the bottom half of tripels that are out there.

My judgement may have been affected by the fact that I had this right after having a Gulden Draak 9000 (which was heavenly). Which means everything that I have to say about this beer will be in the less-than format.

Appearance, not bad. typical belgian with a nice khaki fluffy head, 2-3 fingers.

Smell - Too much floral. Not balanced, and was on the verge of being compared to even the smell of fruity flour. I've smelled this before, so it's not groundbreaking, or breaking any rules for that matter, but it's a style that in my opinion, isn't very nice.

Taste- what a mess. Off-balance. The floral component was overbearing and off-putting. Now mind you, I may not be this critical if i didn't have to pay $15 for a 22oz bomber, so I'm going to review this also based on how much I had to pay. The value per dollar for each part of this beer left me feeling shortchanged. You could easily buy a no-namer belgian and get the same satisfaction. This beer is not going to rock your world, make you open your eyes to the art of craft beer, or even make you smile. It's just a plain jane, over-priced, off-balance, bouquet of flowers and sugar.

Not buying/drinking this one again.

02-10-2014 17:12:57 | More by bball208
MmmIPA

2.2/5  rDev -47%

This is batch # 89 for what ever that means.

murky yellow body with a 1 finger head .some lacing on the glass,mild carbonation rises.lacing seems to sprinkle on the glass.

yeast

first taste was orange,its very velvety on the lips,taste is very smooth going down.I can taste the yeast also but its not overpowering.there is a sorda funky aftertaste to this beer.i sorda taste spice in it.

real smooth and velvety on the tongue also.the 9% hits ya pretty fast so watch out.

I would have this again.I had higher hopes from this brewery and the taste didnt exactly live up to it,maybe im just not used to this flavor of beer.Its not bad,I think its very easy to get into and its not my favorite either.Its worth the cash though

01-14-2007 13:37:33 | More by MmmIPA
jtierney89

2.3/5  rDev -44.6%

Hazy and golden in color with lots of visible carbonation. Fizzy bright white head. Medicinal and herbal nose with some clove.

Very big body but with lots of carbonation. Flavors are very subdued. Subtle phenolic and clove flavors up fruit with a moderate hop finish. Flavors are clean and blended well but not sure if they all work together the best. Phenolic and slightly sour aftertaste. The hops attempt to cut some of the sweetness but only do so moderately.

Slightly offbeat but not exactly what I want from a tripel. A bit too medicinal for me with a slightly chalky mouthfeel. Not a bad beer but id take a merry monks over this anyway.

12-12-2011 00:25:19 | More by jtierney89
jthor018

2.4/5  rDev -42.2%

I bought three 750mL bottles of this from batch 154. Two of them were horrible. I think the bottles might have went bad. A friend of mine got a bottle from the same store and said it was the worst beer he had ever drank. The third one, from another store, was decent. Poured into a clear plastic cup (didn't have any glassware with us) it was golden and the smell reminded me of banana bread. The head on this beer was nice and thick for about 15 seconds and then was gone. It tasted okay but I think I was biased by my previous bad experiences with this beer. That said, I would buy a bottle of this from a different batch.

08-20-2010 05:17:22 | More by jthor018
Vylo

2.58/5  rDev -37.8%

For all the hype, allagash greatly dissappoints.

All of my favorites are either tripels or dark belgian ales.

Allagash's stlyle seems much weaker then most. Less flavor, slightly more bitterness. This style might appeals to those fond of high-hop beers (in fact I would recommend it in this case), but for those of us who are traditional tripel fanatics, I would warn you to stay away.

There are far better brews (la trappe, rocheforte) for you to choose from. How allagash ever came to be relished, I will never understand. Frankly the brand seems bland and uninspired.

11-18-2011 14:02:12 | More by Vylo
JohnL9013

2.7/5  rDev -34.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

A: Hazy golden color, like an IPA, with a moderate but very impressive head and tons of lacing.

S: A very sweet, malty smell. If taken alone, this is a feature that doesn't necessarily count against this beer but it's not the best smell because it's so sweet.

T: This is, hands-down, the worst Belgian-style beer I've ever had. No hops worth mentioning, terrible malts. I poured over half of this beer down the drain, because I literally couldn't stand to finish it. Why? It's way, way too sweet. This beer is like drinking a soda that is way to sweet, and has gone flat.

M: And that's the other problem. Not enough carbonation, period. If you're going to make a beer with this bold a sweetness profile, you need to make it drinkable so it's not just sitting, stagnant in your mouth and making the drinker (myself) nearly gag with discomfort.

D: This was a drain pour for me, I'm embarassed to say. Someone told me that I needed to try anything made by Allagash because everything they make is so good, but I'm afraid to try anything else at this point. Maybe when I'm feeling adventurous I'll try a different brew of theirs.

To close, my statement would be that you can get a much better tripel from North America (La Fin Du Monde) and pretty much anything from Belgium is going to be an order of magnitude better than this. Westmalle, Konings, St. Bernardus, Chimay, all of them make Tripels that define this style and make it great. This beer is a terrible attempt and I would highly discourage trying this without hearing from the aforementioned masters first.

04-04-2010 05:16:50 | More by JohnL9013
ManekiNeko

2.73/5  rDev -34.2%

750 mL corked and caged bottle of batch #42. Served slightly chilled into a Maudite glass as it resembles the Allagash one. I also hoped to treat my glass to something better than the swill if last contained.

Appearance: Hazy golden yellow topped by a sizable white head. A 3:2 ratio of liquid to foam. Head shrinks to a layer of bubbles on the surface. Nice little globules of lacing on the glass.

Smell: Nicely complex nose. In order of dominance: pepper, lemon, coriander, honey and yeast. Hints of grapefruit and orange.

Taste: Initial sharp mettalic pepper twang followed by some unpleasantly herbaceous medicinal flavor on the finish. Fairly sweet with a hint of lemon. Alcohol not masked all that well.

Mouthfeel: Leaves an unpleasant cottony feeling in the mouth, possibly due to the alcohol warming it.

Drinkability: I had some problems finishing this bottle. I pondered tossing it, but it wasn't that truly horrendous. The drinkability is severely hampered by the off taste and mouthfeel.

Other: I think something might be off with either my bottle or the batch. Was my bottle too young, mayhaps? I'll give this one another shot sometime down the road.

09-21-2003 20:17:25 | More by ManekiNeko
IMincedTheKing

2.8/5  rDev -32.5%

Pours a cloudy golden amber with a quarter inch of lasting head.

The aroma is very earthy with yeast and some fruit.

The brew is too thick and syrupy in the mouth. It tastes of fruit--banana, notably--hops, and alcohol.

I didn't enjoy drinking this much at all, and I doubt I'll give it another go.

04-20-2009 05:26:22 | More by IMincedTheKing
JohnnyS17

2.83/5  rDev -31.8%

It said taste from a wide mouth glass, so I went with a goblet.

A - A touch cloudy, but rather translucent for a Belgian style ale. A murky yellow color. The head was about a half inch after the pour and lasts throughout drinking. Lots of carbonation.

S - Weak sweet aroma. Maybe a slight hint of banana. I'm not impressed.

T - Spicy but not very flavorful. It almost tastes flat or skunked.

M - Carbonated with a bite. Finishes crisp.

D - No thanks, I might not even finish this 750ml bottle.

02-24-2011 01:08:17 | More by JohnnyS17
SeanChouffe

New Mexico

2.88/5  rDev -30.6%

750ml bottle. Batch #42
Pours a cloudy golden color with a fine white head, silky lace and nice pearling. The head diminished rather quickly – leaving a fine film. The clouding reduced some, but never completely cleared. Aroma of fruit and very yeasty—not very complex or aromatic, but still pleasant. The taste was tart with some sweetness and a dry biting finish. The mouthfeel was rather flat – not a lot of body and quite one-dimensional.
IMHO: Not a lot of character or body. Numerous qualities that can work in a well balanced beer were either under or over represented. It looks as if there have been other batches of this beer that have been much better.

10-11-2003 05:52:00 | More by SeanChouffe
deaconoflove

2.9/5  rDev -30.1%

Ap. This brew is a cloudy golden yellow with a small white head.
Sm. Very strong spicy, lemony, ctirisy aroma.
Ta. Follows the smell with a spicy lemony flavor with some sweetness in there somewhere.
Mf. Light, unremarkable.
Dr. It certainly goes down easily, but there are many other beers I'd rather have.

10-22-2009 22:41:28 | More by deaconoflove
smakawhat

2.9/5  rDev -30.1%

A big three finger simple white head with uniform bubbles that are somewhat small. Dark buttery gold color not very cloudy fairly clear and a very soapy shampoo like appearance. Some retention.

Bouquet is a good spicy/sweetness with mild yeast. Faint orange citrus but not much else and not particularly obvious on smells.

Taste becomes fairly hop dominant with very little chew or sweet tones, and a fair alcohol sharpness on the finish. Medicinal bitter finish with little body, and a rotten fish taste. Too obvious on alcohol for the ABV. I am not to keen on wanting more but I've had worse.

12-26-2010 01:40:59 | More by smakawhat
cjgator3

2.95/5  rDev -28.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

750ml bottle
Batch #148

A- 750ml corked and caged poured into a chalice. Pours a golden yellow/orangish color with a nice off-white head with good lacing and retention.

S- The fruity aroma features some apples/pears along with spices and yeast.

T- The taste is fruity with some pepper-like spices and quite a bit of heat in the finish from the alcohol. Not bad, but a little bit too boozy for my tastes.

M- The mouthfeel is somewhere between light and medium bodied with a lot of carbonation.

D- Overall, this is definitely a sipper due to the high ABV. My only complaint is that the alcohol stands out way too much in this one and takes away from some of the other flavors. Worth a try, but not something I would purchase again.

04-09-2010 14:47:52 | More by cjgator3
Heynow007

3.09/5  rDev -25.5%

Let me put a disclaimer on this. I'm a stout guy and like my beers full of flavor and body. This is an ale, and has a sweet aroma, but is too fizzy for me. It goes down smooth after a few minutes, when I'd de-airs.
I think this would be a good summer afternoon beer, not a winter beer.

Overall, it's actually pretty good and starts to grow on me. It's a solid 3 to 3.0.

02-08-2013 02:58:24 | More by Heynow007
Pencible

3.13/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

This poured a slightly hazy light yellow with white head. It smelled like perfume and yeast with some hops too. It tasted super sweet, like hops and apricot. It was smooth, not too thick and slightly carbonated, with an interesting sweet/bitter aftertaste. Overall, this seemed similar to the other tripels I've had, so I'm definitely starting to understand the style. Unfortunately, it's not the style I really prefer (too sweet).

03-27-2008 20:46:40 | More by Pencible
BeerLover729

3.18/5  rDev -23.4%

A: Translucent, golden beer with thick creamy head.

S: The nose of this beer seems particularly filled with esters; figs, grapes, lemongrass, slight phenol presence.

T: Dry beer with a creamy maltyness but a distinguished astringent aftertaste. Dark fruits are detectable throughout and fade into the astringent spicyness.

M: Medium light body with soft carbonation. Astringent taste comes through when I keep this beer in my mouth to think about this category.

D: Goes down slowly but well.

Notes: Drank this tripel the same night as the St. Bernardus and thought much less of them then it seems most people do. Both of these beers tasted strongly of astringent, so perhaps both bottles were stored incorrectly and skunked, or perhaps I hadn't rinsed all the soap out of my chalice, or maybe my pallet is that much more sensitive than most other peoples. I'm not sure. You decide.

01-13-2008 16:45:36 | More by BeerLover729
ZorPrime

Quebec (Canada)

3.2/5  rDev -22.9%

Tasted in Wells, ME on August 7, 2009

Pale yellow color and hazy. The aroma is complex. I have a hard time getting things... some fruits (pears)... The taste is slightly metallic. Some herbal notes too. Not bad... however there is more complex and tasty tripel out there...

08-26-2009 01:48:44 | More by ZorPrime
ScarletLady

3.2/5  rDev -22.9%

From the 750ml bottle. Love the cork.

A - pours a golden color with tight white head, some lacing. Lively carbonation.

S - aroma is clove first, then a hint of fruit. Slight detection of alcohol. Overall pretty well balanced.

T - somewhat spicy and surprisingly mild. I was expecting bigger flavor. A little too carbonated for my taste taking away from the overall flavor experience. Main flavor to me was the clove.

M - pretty good, again a little too carbonated

D - an easy drinking beer, could definitely drink more than one given it's mildness

11-05-2009 18:11:19 | More by ScarletLady
monkeyturtle

Oregon

3.23/5  rDev -22.2%

I wanted to like this one so much more than I did. I picked this up because my local store didn't carry Allagash White, which is a favorite of mine. Knowing that I've had good experience with many tripels, I thought this would be a sure winner.

Appearance: Good, full head with reasonable lacing; the color was cloudy, wheaty

Smell: very mild, fruity, hints of banana

Taste: way too bitter for my taste. This is not a brew that hides its alcohol content well. Starts with a deceptive gentleness that rolls right into a lasting bitterness.

Mouthfeel: average

I was taken aback by the averageness of this beer.

12-31-2009 01:58:07 | More by monkeyturtle
ctrlfreak

South Dakota

3.25/5  rDev -21.7%

750ml
9% Alc.
Batch# 32

Apperarance: cloudy golden in color with a big head
The Aroma: citric but well balanced with an aroma of spice present
The Taste: mellow honey/spice flavor
Mouthfeel: Sweet finish and after, with light bitterness
Drinkability: go slow or it will catch up with you in a hurry

03-13-2004 03:02:38 | More by ctrlfreak
ZSimon

3.28/5  rDev -21%

750mL bottle from Total Wine, Richmond, VA. Reserve Batch #160.

Pours intensely hazy golden with a persistent, white rocky cap. From the first whiff, it is apparent that this beer hangs its entire existence on its yeast. Hops and malt, while certainly present, are an afterthought at best. Funky, minerally, earthy yeast tones dominate here, with a long, rather boozy finish. Pleasantly smooth though, with a touch of sweetness to balance.

Nothing strikes me as particularly bad, but I'm left with an overwhelming feeling of Meh.

11-20-2010 23:37:56 | More by ZSimon
CochonKing

3.28/5  rDev -21%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a nice blonde with gold with a lasting thick head with excellent lacing. The nose is a little flat not bringing out many phenols but malt is detected. Not an amazing beer. Just kind of ok. The taste is flat and watery as well. No beer flaws present, just unsure of the beer itself

01-19-2014 02:04:43 | More by CochonKing
mirish72

3.3/5  rDev -20.5%

I have to say that I bummed that I didn't like this beer more than I did. I am a big fan of all of the other Allagash brews I have tried and this one was a bit of a disappointment.

Pours a golden pale yellow with a slight one finger head. Smells of light spices, some citrus and clove, but nothing too overpowering. It tasted kind of bland with a sweet aftertaste, but I was left wanting something more. Hides the alcohol well and was fairly easy drinking.

09-03-2009 03:30:57 | More by mirish72
jpaltan

3.3/5  rDev -20.5%

Big thick clinging head. plenty of lacing. straw colored, golden orange. nose is peppery with hints of orange peel. some banana and clove is present too. taste is those same spicy peppercorns and the matching banana and clove from the nose. it's kind of spicy like candied ginger. a bit of barnyard funk too. finish is try with some heat and booziness. all in all, not bad. nothing i'd go out of the way to purchase again, especially considering the price point.

01-14-2010 17:53:26 | More by jpaltan
GreenWBush

Oregon

3.33/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Canary yellow with a spumous pillow-head. Commanding lace.

Spry clove and overpowering alcohol pervades the nose. Candied sugar and carmel apple with hints of overripe fruit.

Taste is largely alcoholic, a fixture of the beer I didn't find in other reviews. I couldn't get past the heat until the beer was at room temperature. Much better warm than at cellar temp.

Maltiness peeks out at this temperature; clobbering semi-sweetness melts well with the booze to calm things down.

Something like alcoholic diet-soda on steroids ... but not to say I didn't enjoy it. The mouthfeel was quite nice per style with an oily stickiness intercepted with an almost acrid tartness.

I've got another laid down, we'll see if my opinion changes...

12-11-2004 18:51:46 | More by GreenWBush