Allagash Tripel Ale - Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Tripel AleAllagash Tripel Ale

Allagash Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

This strong golden ale is marked by passion fruit and herbal notes in the aroma, with suggestions of banana and honey in the complex palate. The Tripel has a remarkably long and smooth finish.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-08-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Allagash Tripel Ale Alström Bros
johnmartin

New Hampshire

06-06-2013 16:20:51 | More by huddyball
bball208

2.15/5  rDev -48.2%

This ranks in the bottom half of tripels that are out there.

My judgement may have been affected by the fact that I had this right after having a Gulden Draak 9000 (which was heavenly). Which means everything that I have to say about this beer will be in the less-than format.

Appearance, not bad. typical belgian with a nice khaki fluffy head, 2-3 fingers.

Smell - Too much floral. Not balanced, and was on the verge of being compared to even the smell of fruity flour. I've smelled this before, so it's not groundbreaking, or breaking any rules for that matter, but it's a style that in my opinion, isn't very nice.

Taste- what a mess. Off-balance. The floral component was overbearing and off-putting. Now mind you, I may not be this critical if i didn't have to pay $15 for a 22oz bomber, so I'm going to review this also based on how much I had to pay. The value per dollar for each part of this beer left me feeling shortchanged. You could easily buy a no-namer belgian and get the same satisfaction. This beer is not going to rock your world, make you open your eyes to the art of craft beer, or even make you smile. It's just a plain jane, over-priced, off-balance, bouquet of flowers and sugar.

Not buying/drinking this one again.

02-10-2014 17:12:57 | More by bball208
MmmIPA

2.2/5  rDev -47%

This is batch # 89 for what ever that means.

murky yellow body with a 1 finger head .some lacing on the glass,mild carbonation rises.lacing seems to sprinkle on the glass.

yeast

first taste was orange,its very velvety on the lips,taste is very smooth going down.I can taste the yeast also but its not overpowering.there is a sorda funky aftertaste to this beer.i sorda taste spice in it.

real smooth and velvety on the tongue also.the 9% hits ya pretty fast so watch out.

I would have this again.I had higher hopes from this brewery and the taste didnt exactly live up to it,maybe im just not used to this flavor of beer.Its not bad,I think its very easy to get into and its not my favorite either.Its worth the cash though

01-14-2007 13:37:33 | More by MmmIPA
jtierney89

2.3/5  rDev -44.6%

Hazy and golden in color with lots of visible carbonation. Fizzy bright white head. Medicinal and herbal nose with some clove.

Very big body but with lots of carbonation. Flavors are very subdued. Subtle phenolic and clove flavors up fruit with a moderate hop finish. Flavors are clean and blended well but not sure if they all work together the best. Phenolic and slightly sour aftertaste. The hops attempt to cut some of the sweetness but only do so moderately.

Slightly offbeat but not exactly what I want from a tripel. A bit too medicinal for me with a slightly chalky mouthfeel. Not a bad beer but id take a merry monks over this anyway.

12-12-2011 00:25:19 | More by jtierney89
jthor018

2.4/5  rDev -42.2%

I bought three 750mL bottles of this from batch 154. Two of them were horrible. I think the bottles might have went bad. A friend of mine got a bottle from the same store and said it was the worst beer he had ever drank. The third one, from another store, was decent. Poured into a clear plastic cup (didn't have any glassware with us) it was golden and the smell reminded me of banana bread. The head on this beer was nice and thick for about 15 seconds and then was gone. It tasted okay but I think I was biased by my previous bad experiences with this beer. That said, I would buy a bottle of this from a different batch.

08-20-2010 05:17:22 | More by jthor018

gafferjohn

01-17-2012 01:45:46 | More by gafferjohn
Vylo

2.58/5  rDev -37.8%

For all the hype, allagash greatly dissappoints.

All of my favorites are either tripels or dark belgian ales.

Allagash's stlyle seems much weaker then most. Less flavor, slightly more bitterness. This style might appeals to those fond of high-hop beers (in fact I would recommend it in this case), but for those of us who are traditional tripel fanatics, I would warn you to stay away.

There are far better brews (la trappe, rocheforte) for you to choose from. How allagash ever came to be relished, I will never understand. Frankly the brand seems bland and uninspired.

11-18-2011 14:02:12 | More by Vylo
JohnL9013

2.7/5  rDev -34.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

A: Hazy golden color, like an IPA, with a moderate but very impressive head and tons of lacing.

S: A very sweet, malty smell. If taken alone, this is a feature that doesn't necessarily count against this beer but it's not the best smell because it's so sweet.

T: This is, hands-down, the worst Belgian-style beer I've ever had. No hops worth mentioning, terrible malts. I poured over half of this beer down the drain, because I literally couldn't stand to finish it. Why? It's way, way too sweet. This beer is like drinking a soda that is way to sweet, and has gone flat.

M: And that's the other problem. Not enough carbonation, period. If you're going to make a beer with this bold a sweetness profile, you need to make it drinkable so it's not just sitting, stagnant in your mouth and making the drinker (myself) nearly gag with discomfort.

D: This was a drain pour for me, I'm embarassed to say. Someone told me that I needed to try anything made by Allagash because everything they make is so good, but I'm afraid to try anything else at this point. Maybe when I'm feeling adventurous I'll try a different brew of theirs.

To close, my statement would be that you can get a much better tripel from North America (La Fin Du Monde) and pretty much anything from Belgium is going to be an order of magnitude better than this. Westmalle, Konings, St. Bernardus, Chimay, all of them make Tripels that define this style and make it great. This beer is a terrible attempt and I would highly discourage trying this without hearing from the aforementioned masters first.

04-04-2010 05:16:50 | More by JohnL9013
ManekiNeko

2.73/5  rDev -34.2%

750 mL corked and caged bottle of batch #42. Served slightly chilled into a Maudite glass as it resembles the Allagash one. I also hoped to treat my glass to something better than the swill if last contained.

Appearance: Hazy golden yellow topped by a sizable white head. A 3:2 ratio of liquid to foam. Head shrinks to a layer of bubbles on the surface. Nice little globules of lacing on the glass.

Smell: Nicely complex nose. In order of dominance: pepper, lemon, coriander, honey and yeast. Hints of grapefruit and orange.

Taste: Initial sharp mettalic pepper twang followed by some unpleasantly herbaceous medicinal flavor on the finish. Fairly sweet with a hint of lemon. Alcohol not masked all that well.

Mouthfeel: Leaves an unpleasant cottony feeling in the mouth, possibly due to the alcohol warming it.

Drinkability: I had some problems finishing this bottle. I pondered tossing it, but it wasn't that truly horrendous. The drinkability is severely hampered by the off taste and mouthfeel.

Other: I think something might be off with either my bottle or the batch. Was my bottle too young, mayhaps? I'll give this one another shot sometime down the road.

09-21-2003 20:17:25 | More by ManekiNeko

Capman62

05-23-2013 23:16:39 | More by Capman62
IMincedTheKing

2.8/5  rDev -32.5%

Pours a cloudy golden amber with a quarter inch of lasting head.

The aroma is very earthy with yeast and some fruit.

The brew is too thick and syrupy in the mouth. It tastes of fruit--banana, notably--hops, and alcohol.

I didn't enjoy drinking this much at all, and I doubt I'll give it another go.

04-20-2009 05:26:22 | More by IMincedTheKing
JohnnyS17

Maryland

2.83/5  rDev -31.8%

It said taste from a wide mouth glass, so I went with a goblet.

A - A touch cloudy, but rather translucent for a Belgian style ale. A murky yellow color. The head was about a half inch after the pour and lasts throughout drinking. Lots of carbonation.

S - Weak sweet aroma. Maybe a slight hint of banana. I'm not impressed.

T - Spicy but not very flavorful. It almost tastes flat or skunked.

M - Carbonated with a bite. Finishes crisp.

D - No thanks, I might not even finish this 750ml bottle.

02-24-2011 01:08:17 | More by JohnnyS17
SeanChouffe

New Mexico

2.88/5  rDev -30.6%

750ml bottle. Batch #42
Pours a cloudy golden color with a fine white head, silky lace and nice pearling. The head diminished rather quickly – leaving a fine film. The clouding reduced some, but never completely cleared. Aroma of fruit and very yeasty—not very complex or aromatic, but still pleasant. The taste was tart with some sweetness and a dry biting finish. The mouthfeel was rather flat – not a lot of body and quite one-dimensional.
IMHO: Not a lot of character or body. Numerous qualities that can work in a well balanced beer were either under or over represented. It looks as if there have been other batches of this beer that have been much better.

10-11-2003 05:52:00 | More by SeanChouffe
smakawhat

Maryland

2.9/5  rDev -30.1%

A big three finger simple white head with uniform bubbles that are somewhat small. Dark buttery gold color not very cloudy fairly clear and a very soapy shampoo like appearance. Some retention.

Bouquet is a good spicy/sweetness with mild yeast. Faint orange citrus but not much else and not particularly obvious on smells.

Taste becomes fairly hop dominant with very little chew or sweet tones, and a fair alcohol sharpness on the finish. Medicinal bitter finish with little body, and a rotten fish taste. Too obvious on alcohol for the ABV. I am not to keen on wanting more but I've had worse.

12-26-2010 01:40:59 | More by smakawhat