Allagash Tripel Ale - Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Tripel AleAllagash Tripel Ale

Allagash Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

This strong golden ale is marked by passion fruit and herbal notes in the aroma, with suggestions of banana and honey in the complex palate. The Tripel has a remarkably long and smooth finish.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-08-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Allagash Tripel Ale Alström Bros

johnmartin, Mar 07, 2012

SickNukes, May 21, 2012

huddyball, Jun 06, 2013

MOVERTON1284, Oct 28, 2014
2.15/5  rDev -48.1%

This ranks in the bottom half of tripels that are out there.

My judgement may have been affected by the fact that I had this right after having a Gulden Draak 9000 (which was heavenly). Which means everything that I have to say about this beer will be in the less-than format.

Appearance, not bad. typical belgian with a nice khaki fluffy head, 2-3 fingers.

Smell - Too much floral. Not balanced, and was on the verge of being compared to even the smell of fruity flour. I've smelled this before, so it's not groundbreaking, or breaking any rules for that matter, but it's a style that in my opinion, isn't very nice.

Taste- what a mess. Off-balance. The floral component was overbearing and off-putting. Now mind you, I may not be this critical if i didn't have to pay $15 for a 22oz bomber, so I'm going to review this also based on how much I had to pay. The value per dollar for each part of this beer left me feeling shortchanged. You could easily buy a no-namer belgian and get the same satisfaction. This beer is not going to rock your world, make you open your eyes to the art of craft beer, or even make you smile. It's just a plain jane, over-priced, off-balance, bouquet of flowers and sugar.

Not buying/drinking this one again.

bball208, Feb 10, 2014
2.2/5  rDev -46.9%

This is batch # 89 for what ever that means.

murky yellow body with a 1 finger head .some lacing on the glass,mild carbonation rises.lacing seems to sprinkle on the glass.

yeast

first taste was orange,its very velvety on the lips,taste is very smooth going down.I can taste the yeast also but its not overpowering.there is a sorda funky aftertaste to this beer.i sorda taste spice in it.

real smooth and velvety on the tongue also.the 9% hits ya pretty fast so watch out.

I would have this again.I had higher hopes from this brewery and the taste didnt exactly live up to it,maybe im just not used to this flavor of beer.Its not bad,I think its very easy to get into and its not my favorite either.Its worth the cash though

MmmIPA, Jan 14, 2007
2.3/5  rDev -44.4%

Hazy and golden in color with lots of visible carbonation. Fizzy bright white head. Medicinal and herbal nose with some clove.

Very big body but with lots of carbonation. Flavors are very subdued. Subtle phenolic and clove flavors up fruit with a moderate hop finish. Flavors are clean and blended well but not sure if they all work together the best. Phenolic and slightly sour aftertaste. The hops attempt to cut some of the sweetness but only do so moderately.

Slightly offbeat but not exactly what I want from a tripel. A bit too medicinal for me with a slightly chalky mouthfeel. Not a bad beer but id take a merry monks over this anyway.

jtierney89, Dec 12, 2011
2.4/5  rDev -42%

I bought three 750mL bottles of this from batch 154. Two of them were horrible. I think the bottles might have went bad. A friend of mine got a bottle from the same store and said it was the worst beer he had ever drank. The third one, from another store, was decent. Poured into a clear plastic cup (didn't have any glassware with us) it was golden and the smell reminded me of banana bread. The head on this beer was nice and thick for about 15 seconds and then was gone. It tasted okay but I think I was biased by my previous bad experiences with this beer. That said, I would buy a bottle of this from a different batch.

jthor018, Aug 20, 2010

mportnoy, Feb 11, 2013

Avi, Jun 09, 2012

gafferjohn, Jan 17, 2012
2.58/5  rDev -37.7%

For all the hype, allagash greatly dissappoints.

All of my favorites are either tripels or dark belgian ales.

Allagash's stlyle seems much weaker then most. Less flavor, slightly more bitterness. This style might appeals to those fond of high-hop beers (in fact I would recommend it in this case), but for those of us who are traditional tripel fanatics, I would warn you to stay away.

There are far better brews (la trappe, rocheforte) for you to choose from. How allagash ever came to be relished, I will never understand. Frankly the brand seems bland and uninspired.

Vylo, Nov 18, 2011
2.7/5  rDev -34.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

A: Hazy golden color, like an IPA, with a moderate but very impressive head and tons of lacing.

S: A very sweet, malty smell. If taken alone, this is a feature that doesn't necessarily count against this beer but it's not the best smell because it's so sweet.

T: This is, hands-down, the worst Belgian-style beer I've ever had. No hops worth mentioning, terrible malts. I poured over half of this beer down the drain, because I literally couldn't stand to finish it. Why? It's way, way too sweet. This beer is like drinking a soda that is way to sweet, and has gone flat.

M: And that's the other problem. Not enough carbonation, period. If you're going to make a beer with this bold a sweetness profile, you need to make it drinkable so it's not just sitting, stagnant in your mouth and making the drinker (myself) nearly gag with discomfort.

D: This was a drain pour for me, I'm embarassed to say. Someone told me that I needed to try anything made by Allagash because everything they make is so good, but I'm afraid to try anything else at this point. Maybe when I'm feeling adventurous I'll try a different brew of theirs.

To close, my statement would be that you can get a much better tripel from North America (La Fin Du Monde) and pretty much anything from Belgium is going to be an order of magnitude better than this. Westmalle, Konings, St. Bernardus, Chimay, all of them make Tripels that define this style and make it great. This beer is a terrible attempt and I would highly discourage trying this without hearing from the aforementioned masters first.

JohnL9013, Apr 04, 2010
2.73/5  rDev -34.1%

750 mL corked and caged bottle of batch #42. Served slightly chilled into a Maudite glass as it resembles the Allagash one. I also hoped to treat my glass to something better than the swill if last contained.

Appearance: Hazy golden yellow topped by a sizable white head. A 3:2 ratio of liquid to foam. Head shrinks to a layer of bubbles on the surface. Nice little globules of lacing on the glass.

Smell: Nicely complex nose. In order of dominance: pepper, lemon, coriander, honey and yeast. Hints of grapefruit and orange.

Taste: Initial sharp mettalic pepper twang followed by some unpleasantly herbaceous medicinal flavor on the finish. Fairly sweet with a hint of lemon. Alcohol not masked all that well.

Mouthfeel: Leaves an unpleasant cottony feeling in the mouth, possibly due to the alcohol warming it.

Drinkability: I had some problems finishing this bottle. I pondered tossing it, but it wasn't that truly horrendous. The drinkability is severely hampered by the off taste and mouthfeel.

Other: I think something might be off with either my bottle or the batch. Was my bottle too young, mayhaps? I'll give this one another shot sometime down the road.

ManekiNeko, Sep 21, 2003

dcbeers, Jul 01, 2013

dertyd, Apr 26, 2014

Rick778, Feb 24, 2013

Capman62, May 24, 2013
2.8/5  rDev -32.4%

Pours a cloudy golden amber with a quarter inch of lasting head.

The aroma is very earthy with yeast and some fruit.

The brew is too thick and syrupy in the mouth. It tastes of fruit--banana, notably--hops, and alcohol.

I didn't enjoy drinking this much at all, and I doubt I'll give it another go.

IMincedTheKing, Apr 20, 2009
2.83/5  rDev -31.6%

It said taste from a wide mouth glass, so I went with a goblet.

A - A touch cloudy, but rather translucent for a Belgian style ale. A murky yellow color. The head was about a half inch after the pour and lasts throughout drinking. Lots of carbonation.

S - Weak sweet aroma. Maybe a slight hint of banana. I'm not impressed.

T - Spicy but not very flavorful. It almost tastes flat or skunked.

M - Carbonated with a bite. Finishes crisp.

D - No thanks, I might not even finish this 750ml bottle.

JohnnyS17, Feb 24, 2011