Allagash Tripel Ale - Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-08-2001

This strong golden ale is marked by passion fruit and herbal notes in the aroma, with suggestions of banana and honey in the complex palate. The Tripel has a remarkably long and smooth finish.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Allagash Tripel Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,470 | Reviews: 921
4.9/5  rDev +18.4%

Well, well... batch # 59. Vibrant, almost neon orange. Thick, fluffy eggshell-colored meringue-like head, no matter how carefully I pour. I wish I could get meringue to look like this when I bake.
Aroma is of orange blossoms, coriander, lemon, cinnamon, and clove, with a slightly sour farmhouse edge.
This tastes like tropical fruit, such as mango and banana, as well as white fruit like peach and pear drizzled in honey, and spike with vanilla and coconut. Incredibly complex. A distinctly malty, nutty almond-like sweetness kicks in, but eventually yields to a quite crisp hay-like finish. The mouthfeel is like liquid sex. Phenomenal.
Damn Americans. Always borrowing things from other countries and doing them just as well if not better. This beer is barely trumped by (the older) Southampton Grand Cru...
By FAR my favorite brew from Allagash. I've had this on draft at Gramercy Tavern, too, and although I didn't take notes, my head nearly exploded...

3.49/5  rDev -15.7%

metallic from start to finish....I'll have to buy this again as this may not be the best representation....it tasted like the bottlcap in liquid form....
Super presentation with a nice bold white frothy head that stands up and says hi....

some warming and millions of tiny carb's...excellent retention....

3.53/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Presentation: Poured from 750 ml bottle into Watou chalice. Stamped as batch 41.

Appearance: Just on the yellow side of orange. Pillowy white head.

Smell: Spicy fruity smell, kind of classic tripel aroma.

Taste: Definitely fruity, but with a very tart bitter aftertaste. I think this uses a very similar yeast strain to Ommegang ale. It has a very similar odor and runs in the same direction flavor-wise.

Notes: I liked this, but not as much as Pranqster or Golden Monkey. I think the bitter aftertaste dropped my opinion of this a llittle. Still, I'll probably try another batch sometime to verify if the bitterness is part of the beer's DNA, or was just a problem with batch 41.

A light, yellow-golden hue with a delicate, foamy head. Ample lacing down a large snifter. Smells of fruits and alcohol. Carbonation gives a softness to the overall body.

Warm and rich flavors of honey, dried fruit, vanilla and an earthy undertone that rounds out an alcohol note. Bitterness is low key, which should be for style. The spicy warmth in the finish works well with the alcohol characteristic. No huge points for any experimental fancy work, just a good, solid ale that deserves respect.

Medium bodied and approachable, a good choice for a before or after dinner apertif.

4.47/5  rDev +8%

Batch # 54. Cloudy lemon yellow hue with a 2 finger white head with tan colored specks suspended. Spicy, peppery smell with a whiff of alcohol. Medium bodied with a prickly, highly carbonated mouthfeel.
Earthy, woody, spicy grain flavor here; pretty complex with a hint of black pepper, lemon and other fruits. Has a soft alcohol taste to finish.
Not overly sweet like some triples, my favorite of all the domestic brands I've tasted so far.

4.42/5  rDev +6.8%

Appearance - Massive creamy head, with a hazy light orange color.

Smell - Characteristic spicy (phenoilc) Belgian aroma, with hints of sweet malt. No hops. The sweetness comes more in the finish.

Taste - spicy and sweet, almost like candy. This beer also tastes nice and fresh, making it that much better. There is a spicy, rum-like taste of alcohol in the finish. Some slight bitterness makes its way though everything else.

Mouthfeel - This beer has a medium body which hides the 9% alcohol well. Carbonation is medium to medium-high.

Drinkability - This beer is very inviting. It tastes so darn good that I want more and more.

Comments - Fresher is better. Because this beer is made in the U.S., I get to enjoy Belgian style beer without the long trip from Europe. Get your hands on this beer. You will be glad you did!

4.45/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance – This one poured a beautiful murky but light orange in color with a gorgeous white head that came up nicely and left a good film on top of the liquid.

Smell – The light malts are laded with Belgian yeast. This is a very good yeast aroma that I’m getting early on, even before the beverage warms. The fruity citrus has some strong orange in it but doesn’t let this overpower the bouquet. I can also pick up some sensuous lemon notes along with some fresh lime and light peach.

The spices are mild and consist mostly of the traditional white pepper and coriander favored by the authentic Belgian breweries. There’s just a touch of vodka to the nose but otherwise the high ABV goes unnoticed.

Taste – I literally moaned with pleasure on the first sip. The flavors are so intense that they take a moment to get used to.

The yeasty malt makes a terrific backbone to the giant fruits. The fruits come on full bore at the taste and are very complex. The alcohol picks things up a notch from the nose as do the spices. This is a very intense flavor rush, so be ready.

Mouthfeel – This Tripel is in between medium and full-bodied with some extraordinary carbonation that just explodes in the cheeks.

Drinkability – This was spot on for my preference in the style and very drinkable in my book. I just couldn’t get enough of this wonderful offering from Allagash!

3.98/5  rDev -3.9%

750 mL, corked and caged, batch #64 - served slightly chilled in a goblet. Pours with a 2 finger white head that pokes above the rim with a careful pour. It is a very hazy golden/yellow and there is nice lacing all the way down. On the nose there is bananas, cloves, spices (coriander?), yeast, grassiness, and a hint of skunk that I think is coming from the hops. Lots of spiciness on the palate with noticeable alcohol that warms the body. It has the same characteristics of the aroma but with a hop spiciness, band-aids, honey, some sweetness, and perhaps some lemon. The phenols increase as it warms. It is dry and has a full body with a hefty carbonation at the beginning but it smooths out by the end. It's not as delicate as I thought it would be and maybe a bit too in-your-face to give it a higher drinkability. But overall it is tasty and different than other tripels I've had.

3.91/5  rDev -5.6%

Batch # 62, 22oz bottle.

Translucent honey/straw colored beer that pours nicely into my tulip glass forming a bright white head of small champagne sized bubbles, which remains througthout the beer.

The smell is of apricots and simple syrup.

With all of the sugar in the nose, I was expecting a much sweeter beer. Fortunately, it was not sweet. A nice fruity, but not too fruity, tripel that lingers on the palate with moderate carbonation.

This is a nice beer to have around. Espcially being for Maine, not exactly the beer brewery capital of the world.

Cheers.

3.68/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Batch number 63 purchased for $6 at BevMo.

Appearance: Poured from the 750 ml bottle into a Duvel tulip glass. It pours a copper to yellow to orange color with a slight haze in it. Big, billowing white head that sits creamy on the top of the beer. The head settles to a stiff and lacy 4 cm thick frosting. It leaves sticky lacing on t he side of the glass as it is consumed. Beautiful beer.

Smell: Spicy pear, apple, corriander, and a peppery malt aroma.

Taste: Sharp spiciness to open with a peppery character. Light maltiness covered with sugary fruit. More pear and apple like the smell. there is a sandy, saltiness to the beer almost like sea spray. The alcohol really shows in the middle to end and lingers in the aftertaste. A very light earthy a nd citrusy hop bitterness tags onto the end of the beer but is somewhat hidden or overpowered by the base sweetness.

Mouthfeel: The opening is a bit aggressive on the palate. The beer is well carbonated but that same carbonation seems to attack the roof of my mouth as it washes away. Very odd and somewhat off.

Drinkability and Notes: Not a bad beer but it needs some work. The malts are right on and bring a great sweetness but the yeasty spiciness is a bit out of whack I think. I would gladly drink this beer again, but I won't be hunting for it.

4.03/5  rDev -2.7%

22oz bottle condition from Ryan and Casey in Greenfield.

A strong beer in every sense. Poured hazy gold-orange with a 1/4 inch retained head (very fine carbonation bubbles), laced nicely all the way through. Smell is very pleasant; the alcohol is present but in no way overpowering. I taste heavy cloves and spices, leaves a little burn at the end. A good beer from what I suspect to be a pretty good brewery. I'll definitely look for some of their other offerings.

3.53/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle: Poured a light golden color beer with great carbonation and good head retention. Aroma is quite sweet with a nice floral background. Taste is sweeter then expected but well balance by some spices and wheat. Would have been better with a bit more kick (spices, it seems a bit light compared to Westmalle or De Dolle Tuve. Still very enjoyable but it seems a bit overrated compared to some other abbey tripel beer out there.

4.45/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The beer poured crystal clear golden with a white frothy head that lasted to coat the glass.

The aroma was nice with fruity esters and a complexity that only aging a corked Belgian beer can provide. The fruits present were slightly floral and earthy and more prominent was a slight citrus note and some slight phenolic spiciness.

The flavor was incredibly light and delicate with only the slightest hint of alcohol. The beer began on the palate slightly sweet but quickly dried into a nice balance of light maltiness and Belgian yeast character and light spicy nature. The flavor had some medicinal flavors which added complexity and did not detract.

The finish was dry with lasting spicy character. The body was medium. The alcohol was only present in the finish and not overdone at 9.0%.

750 ml corked and bailed bottle. Batch 21, must be at least a 2001 beer. This beer was procured from a Stout Stogie and Single Malt affair tasting by ncbrewerbun many, many years ago after we poured beers at the event. Dave handed it to me as we were leaving the event. Nothing like a five finger discount followed by a fridge find.

4.47/5  rDev +8%

Pours a hazy yellow, a pinky fingered head that recedes quickly into thin fizzy film. Smells of sour apples, raisins. Complex taste, initially yeasty with gentle hops, settles into a sweeter notes of vanilla, honey, grapefruity citrus. Swishes creamy, mmm, and finishes crisp and dry. Tastes of apple linger. My friend says it is what you would get if you were eating apple pie and drinking beer at the same time. Lively small bubbles dissipate in the glass but are reborn on your tongue. Medium bodied, very drinkable.

Pours a very slightly hazy golden color with a full, rocky creamy white head that lingers like meringue. Smells of fruit esters and sweet malty bananas. Maybe some honey in there too? Tastes of bread, yeast and sweet malt. Maybe its just me, but this tastes awfully similar to many of the better hefeweizens out there. It is definitely more complex, though...I like it. Medium carbonation and body. This one is easy to drink.

4.32/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a chalice; batch #51.
Pours a murky blond with a thin white head.
Smells and tastes fruity and spicy in a citrus kind of way; has more of a bitter presence than other tripels I've tried so far. Mild candy flavors, rich malt flavors. Lots of depth, clearly well made. The 9% alcohol is very well masked, though still detectable.
A sophisticated brew.

4.38/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750 ml bottle. Hazy yellow color. Large, fizzy, white head. Yeast aroma with spices. The flavor is malty with a nice fruitiness. Lots of different fruits in the flavor, most notably pineapple. Spicy in the finish. I am suprised that this beer is 9% alcohol - seems lower. The full mouthfeel seems very appropriate, and brings out the big flavor. This is another great beer from Allagash.

4.18/5  rDev +1%

Batch 60.

Poured into a tulip glass. A murky golden topped by a crisp, bright white head that looked like steamed, foamy milk. Thick lacing draped the sides of the glass as I drank.

Smelled of pineapples, apple cider, spice, white grapes and some honey and bananas as it warmed.

Tasted crisp and fruity, mainly of apples and pineapples with a twist of sour white grapes into a mouth-consuming, drying, bitter finish. Also alot of that Belgian musty taste. Alcohol begins to reveal itself late in the glass. Warmed the insides almost immediately. It's luscious, thick and smooth yet riddled with invigorating carbonation. Good stuff.

4.15/5  rDev +0.2%

50F.
Smells like pulpy orange juice with a twidge of lemon, and a little rust.
Cool. Kinda spicy - coriander, cumin, cardamon, white pepper. Good little sour yawn. Bosc pear. Then the alcohol dries it out; distills these flavors to their bitter essence.

4.05/5  rDev -2.2%

Batch #41: Hazy golden color with a thick white head that has good retention. Thin and silky lacing. The aroma consists of yeast, fruit and spices. Medium-bodied with sugary sweet qualities. Lightly fruity with some yeast and spice flavors, but none in any abundance. As a matter of fact this was not quite as flavorful as expected. Still it is a good beer with nice balance. The finish is mildly sweet with fruit, yeast and a bit of pepper. So far Allagash has been consistently solid for me.

4.53/5  rDev +9.4%

Hazy, pale gold in hue with just the slightly highlight of peach. Subtle animation was dancing towards the white head. The foam was rocky, about two fingers in height. Head retention was fair; it quickly dissipated to a fizzy cap, fairly thick in spots. Clumpy. I really like the foam residue. A blotchy collar lasted the entire consumption. I’m suspired that the color is so light and uneventful; this intrigues me. The subsequent lacing was prevalent; it was unorganized and webby. This is an attractive looking beer.

The nose says “Tripel” on the first sniff. Melons with a citrusy backdrop, the fruits are very tropical (am I on a plantation in the Caribbean?). Sturdy peppery notes are found immediately after the fruit. Delicate lushness. Hops find their way to my nose, softly spicy. Earthy. Herbal notes are obvious. I like the soft notes of banana and clove aromas. Candied sugar. Honey. The finish is hot and alcoholic. It ends firmly. The nose is obviously Belgian (duh); it is put-together perfectly with plenty of depth. I do wish the potency were louder; still the nose is very inviting. Relaxing.

The palate is kind of hot. Even with this heat the beer is very relaxing but not lazy. Sometimes I drink beer I feel very motivated to review, the beer is just talking to me and the words flow out. Not this beer. I’ve been in a daze since started drinking this. The palate is not forceful; none of the flavors are bold or assertive but this beer is so perfectly constructed it draw attention to itself. I take a sip. I smile. I take another sip. I smile some more. What a tasty beer! Let me say a few things. Citrusy. Peppery. Melons, passion fruit with bananas. Cloves. Spicy. The maltiness is light and almost wheat-like. Grainy. Bready. Fresh. This is a pleasantly sweet beer. The finish has an acidic twang with a slight medicinal afterglow. The aftertaste is very, very long. Damn, I want cheese and grapes! Impressive. This is a very good Triple, especially considering this a domestic. Yes, it is better than New Belgium Tripel (for some reason these two domestic Triples get compared a lot. I realize now they shouldn’t be).

Medium in body with lively carbonation, the mouthfeel is great, it is spritzy and perfectly balanced. The mouthfeel fits this beer flawlessly and that is all I can ask for.

This is a great beer. If the nose were louder and more complex this beer would be perfect. Still, close to perfect is still great. I love Westmalle (yeah, some say “over-rated” but not I). This beer is different that Westmalle, I can’t say it is better or worse. I’d drink either one everyday. Needless to say this beer is very, very drinkable. It is relaxing. I enjoyed drinking my 750ml bottle and it took me a long while to do so. Sip and savor. It was purchased in Milwaukee, WI for $5. What a deal! I should have purchased a lot more. Highly recommended.

Batch #51

4.49/5  rDev +8.5%

Batch #54

Appearence: Pours a slightly hazy orange with a massive white head.

Smell: Smells fruity and creamy, with huge spice and clove notes. The most interesting and intriguing tripel i've smelled to date.

Taste and Mouthfeel: 9% alcohol? You're kidding me! It's nowhere to be found while tasting it. All I can taste is fruity goodness mixing with a sweet, juciy malt back. The mouthfeel is creamy and fun.

Drinkability and Overall: Damn near one of the best big beers I've had to date. Thank God I got 12 of them... so I have 11 aging. As far as drinkability, I was pretty tanked after just 1 750 ML bottle, so I don't know if I could have another. This is my first attempt at Allagash, and I must say I'm stunned.

4.12/5  rDev -0.5%

Batch #59 pours a rich, slightly cloudy, honey color with a big (my fault) off-white fluffy head that drops slowly and fairly evenly, leaving very nice lacing all around the glass. Smell is fruity (orange, lemon & tangerine), malty, spicy (pepper and clove), honey & slight yeast. Very complex and well balanced. Taste is malty, fruity, spicy, with a light alcohol bloom late. Mouthfeel is quite smooth with a light effervescence all over. Full bodied and warms the back of the mouth and throat. Very nice. Drinkability: very good. While I'm not overly familiar with this style, I really liked the beer. It came across like a high-octane version of a really good wheat, and that's a good thing in my book.

4.67/5  rDev +12.8%

I have read a number of good things about Allagash Brewery on this site, and this was my first chance to try it- first time I have seen it in stores in CA. Batch 51.

Pours a light golden, slightly translucent, with a nice creamy frothy white head. Very nice aroma but the yeast profile is different than the Belgian Tripels I have had. Yeast isn't as strong or characteristic as in those brews. This was very nice too, just different. Aroma of my mom's pineapple upside down cake. Notes of citrus and honey and some spices. Flavor includes lemon, banana, and is more tart than sweet. Leaves a pleasant tartness on the tongue. Mouthfeel very creamy and rich.

So I can now say I have tried Allagash, and I was very pleased with the experience. I would gladly drink this again, and I wll be making a stop at my favorite store to pick up some of their other offerings. UPDATE: I have now tried several of these, and my enjoyment/love of this beer is growing. The aroma just makes me let out a sigh of happiness. The flavor and mouthfeel just makes my mouth happy. What else can you ask for? Scores adjusted accordingly.

3.71/5  rDev -10.4%

25.4 oz. bottle, batch #45. Not available here in Wichita.

Appearance: This beer poured a bright golden yellow with just a hint of chill haze. The stark white head rose up toa finger only after I roughened up the pour quite a bit. It disappeared quickly. A steady bead provided a thin layer of bubbles for the entire drink, along with some thick patches where the bubbles breached the surface. There was some light lacing left behind.

Smell: Very light and fruity without much depth or bottom end. Spicy alcohol and hops cut through a fine layer of sweet fruit that reminded me of grapes more than anything else. That was about all there was.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied and very smooth upfront. It gained a little bit of texture as it moved back into the mouth, but still remained very smooth.

Taste: Very dry when it first hit the mouth, but then a sweet apple flavor kicked in. This was overshadowed very quickly by spciy alcohol and a herbal, and somewhat muddled, hops flavor. The aftertaste contained a little bit of yeast, but was mainly comprised of the aforementioned hops and alcohol.

Not a bad beer, but kind of one-dimensional.

Allagash Tripel Ale from Allagash Brewing Company