Allagash Tripel Ale - Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-08-2001

This strong golden ale is marked by passion fruit and herbal notes in the aroma, with suggestions of banana and honey in the complex palate. The Tripel has a remarkably long and smooth finish.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Allagash Tripel Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 910 | Hads: 2,520
4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

22oz bottle condition from Ryan and Casey in Greenfield.

A strong beer in every sense. Poured hazy gold-orange with a 1/4 inch retained head (very fine carbonation bubbles), laced nicely all the way through. Smell is very pleasant; the alcohol is present but in no way overpowering. I taste heavy cloves and spices, leaves a little burn at the end. A good beer from what I suspect to be a pretty good brewery. I'll definitely look for some of their other offerings.

3.53/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle: Poured a light golden color beer with great carbonation and good head retention. Aroma is quite sweet with a nice floral background. Taste is sweeter then expected but well balance by some spices and wheat. Would have been better with a bit more kick (spices, it seems a bit light compared to Westmalle or De Dolle Tuve. Still very enjoyable but it seems a bit overrated compared to some other abbey tripel beer out there.

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The beer poured crystal clear golden with a white frothy head that lasted to coat the glass.

The aroma was nice with fruity esters and a complexity that only aging a corked Belgian beer can provide. The fruits present were slightly floral and earthy and more prominent was a slight citrus note and some slight phenolic spiciness.

The flavor was incredibly light and delicate with only the slightest hint of alcohol. The beer began on the palate slightly sweet but quickly dried into a nice balance of light maltiness and Belgian yeast character and light spicy nature. The flavor had some medicinal flavors which added complexity and did not detract.

The finish was dry with lasting spicy character. The body was medium. The alcohol was only present in the finish and not overdone at 9.0%.

750 ml corked and bailed bottle. Batch 21, must be at least a 2001 beer. This beer was procured from a Stout Stogie and Single Malt affair tasting by ncbrewerbun many, many years ago after we poured beers at the event. Dave handed it to me as we were leaving the event. Nothing like a five finger discount followed by a fridge find.

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours a hazy yellow, a pinky fingered head that recedes quickly into thin fizzy film. Smells of sour apples, raisins. Complex taste, initially yeasty with gentle hops, settles into a sweeter notes of vanilla, honey, grapefruity citrus. Swishes creamy, mmm, and finishes crisp and dry. Tastes of apple linger. My friend says it is what you would get if you were eating apple pie and drinking beer at the same time. Lively small bubbles dissipate in the glass but are reborn on your tongue. Medium bodied, very drinkable.

Pours a very slightly hazy golden color with a full, rocky creamy white head that lingers like meringue. Smells of fruit esters and sweet malty bananas. Maybe some honey in there too? Tastes of bread, yeast and sweet malt. Maybe its just me, but this tastes awfully similar to many of the better hefeweizens out there. It is definitely more complex, though...I like it. Medium carbonation and body. This one is easy to drink.

4.32/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a chalice; batch #51.
Pours a murky blond with a thin white head.
Smells and tastes fruity and spicy in a citrus kind of way; has more of a bitter presence than other tripels I've tried so far. Mild candy flavors, rich malt flavors. Lots of depth, clearly well made. The 9% alcohol is very well masked, though still detectable.
A sophisticated brew.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750 ml bottle. Hazy yellow color. Large, fizzy, white head. Yeast aroma with spices. The flavor is malty with a nice fruitiness. Lots of different fruits in the flavor, most notably pineapple. Spicy in the finish. I am suprised that this beer is 9% alcohol - seems lower. The full mouthfeel seems very appropriate, and brings out the big flavor. This is another great beer from Allagash.

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

Batch 60.

Poured into a tulip glass. A murky golden topped by a crisp, bright white head that looked like steamed, foamy milk. Thick lacing draped the sides of the glass as I drank.

Smelled of pineapples, apple cider, spice, white grapes and some honey and bananas as it warmed.

Tasted crisp and fruity, mainly of apples and pineapples with a twist of sour white grapes into a mouth-consuming, drying, bitter finish. Also alot of that Belgian musty taste. Alcohol begins to reveal itself late in the glass. Warmed the insides almost immediately. It's luscious, thick and smooth yet riddled with invigorating carbonation. Good stuff.

4.15/5  rDev 0%

Smells like pulpy orange juice with a twidge of lemon, and a little rust.
Cool. Kinda spicy - coriander, cumin, cardamon, white pepper. Good little sour yawn. Bosc pear. Then the alcohol dries it out; distills these flavors to their bitter essence.

4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

Batch #41: Hazy golden color with a thick white head that has good retention. Thin and silky lacing. The aroma consists of yeast, fruit and spices. Medium-bodied with sugary sweet qualities. Lightly fruity with some yeast and spice flavors, but none in any abundance. As a matter of fact this was not quite as flavorful as expected. Still it is a good beer with nice balance. The finish is mildly sweet with fruit, yeast and a bit of pepper. So far Allagash has been consistently solid for me.

4.53/5  rDev +9.2%

Hazy, pale gold in hue with just the slightly highlight of peach. Subtle animation was dancing towards the white head. The foam was rocky, about two fingers in height. Head retention was fair; it quickly dissipated to a fizzy cap, fairly thick in spots. Clumpy. I really like the foam residue. A blotchy collar lasted the entire consumption. I’m suspired that the color is so light and uneventful; this intrigues me. The subsequent lacing was prevalent; it was unorganized and webby. This is an attractive looking beer.

The nose says “Tripel” on the first sniff. Melons with a citrusy backdrop, the fruits are very tropical (am I on a plantation in the Caribbean?). Sturdy peppery notes are found immediately after the fruit. Delicate lushness. Hops find their way to my nose, softly spicy. Earthy. Herbal notes are obvious. I like the soft notes of banana and clove aromas. Candied sugar. Honey. The finish is hot and alcoholic. It ends firmly. The nose is obviously Belgian (duh); it is put-together perfectly with plenty of depth. I do wish the potency were louder; still the nose is very inviting. Relaxing.

The palate is kind of hot. Even with this heat the beer is very relaxing but not lazy. Sometimes I drink beer I feel very motivated to review, the beer is just talking to me and the words flow out. Not this beer. I’ve been in a daze since started drinking this. The palate is not forceful; none of the flavors are bold or assertive but this beer is so perfectly constructed it draw attention to itself. I take a sip. I smile. I take another sip. I smile some more. What a tasty beer! Let me say a few things. Citrusy. Peppery. Melons, passion fruit with bananas. Cloves. Spicy. The maltiness is light and almost wheat-like. Grainy. Bready. Fresh. This is a pleasantly sweet beer. The finish has an acidic twang with a slight medicinal afterglow. The aftertaste is very, very long. Damn, I want cheese and grapes! Impressive. This is a very good Triple, especially considering this a domestic. Yes, it is better than New Belgium Tripel (for some reason these two domestic Triples get compared a lot. I realize now they shouldn’t be).

Medium in body with lively carbonation, the mouthfeel is great, it is spritzy and perfectly balanced. The mouthfeel fits this beer flawlessly and that is all I can ask for.

This is a great beer. If the nose were louder and more complex this beer would be perfect. Still, close to perfect is still great. I love Westmalle (yeah, some say “over-rated” but not I). This beer is different that Westmalle, I can’t say it is better or worse. I’d drink either one everyday. Needless to say this beer is very, very drinkable. It is relaxing. I enjoyed drinking my 750ml bottle and it took me a long while to do so. Sip and savor. It was purchased in Milwaukee, WI for $5. What a deal! I should have purchased a lot more. Highly recommended.

Batch #51

4.49/5  rDev +8.2%

Batch #54

Appearence: Pours a slightly hazy orange with a massive white head.

Smell: Smells fruity and creamy, with huge spice and clove notes. The most interesting and intriguing tripel i've smelled to date.

Taste and Mouthfeel: 9% alcohol? You're kidding me! It's nowhere to be found while tasting it. All I can taste is fruity goodness mixing with a sweet, juciy malt back. The mouthfeel is creamy and fun.

Drinkability and Overall: Damn near one of the best big beers I've had to date. Thank God I got 12 of them... so I have 11 aging. As far as drinkability, I was pretty tanked after just 1 750 ML bottle, so I don't know if I could have another. This is my first attempt at Allagash, and I must say I'm stunned.

4.12/5  rDev -0.7%

Batch #59 pours a rich, slightly cloudy, honey color with a big (my fault) off-white fluffy head that drops slowly and fairly evenly, leaving very nice lacing all around the glass. Smell is fruity (orange, lemon & tangerine), malty, spicy (pepper and clove), honey & slight yeast. Very complex and well balanced. Taste is malty, fruity, spicy, with a light alcohol bloom late. Mouthfeel is quite smooth with a light effervescence all over. Full bodied and warms the back of the mouth and throat. Very nice. Drinkability: very good. While I'm not overly familiar with this style, I really liked the beer. It came across like a high-octane version of a really good wheat, and that's a good thing in my book.

4.67/5  rDev +12.5%

I have read a number of good things about Allagash Brewery on this site, and this was my first chance to try it- first time I have seen it in stores in CA. Batch 51.

Pours a light golden, slightly translucent, with a nice creamy frothy white head. Very nice aroma but the yeast profile is different than the Belgian Tripels I have had. Yeast isn't as strong or characteristic as in those brews. This was very nice too, just different. Aroma of my mom's pineapple upside down cake. Notes of citrus and honey and some spices. Flavor includes lemon, banana, and is more tart than sweet. Leaves a pleasant tartness on the tongue. Mouthfeel very creamy and rich.

So I can now say I have tried Allagash, and I was very pleased with the experience. I would gladly drink this again, and I wll be making a stop at my favorite store to pick up some of their other offerings. UPDATE: I have now tried several of these, and my enjoyment/love of this beer is growing. The aroma just makes me let out a sigh of happiness. The flavor and mouthfeel just makes my mouth happy. What else can you ask for? Scores adjusted accordingly.

3.71/5  rDev -10.6%

25.4 oz. bottle, batch #45. Not available here in Wichita.

Appearance: This beer poured a bright golden yellow with just a hint of chill haze. The stark white head rose up toa finger only after I roughened up the pour quite a bit. It disappeared quickly. A steady bead provided a thin layer of bubbles for the entire drink, along with some thick patches where the bubbles breached the surface. There was some light lacing left behind.

Smell: Very light and fruity without much depth or bottom end. Spicy alcohol and hops cut through a fine layer of sweet fruit that reminded me of grapes more than anything else. That was about all there was.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied and very smooth upfront. It gained a little bit of texture as it moved back into the mouth, but still remained very smooth.

Taste: Very dry when it first hit the mouth, but then a sweet apple flavor kicked in. This was overshadowed very quickly by spciy alcohol and a herbal, and somewhat muddled, hops flavor. The aftertaste contained a little bit of yeast, but was mainly comprised of the aforementioned hops and alcohol.

Not a bad beer, but kind of one-dimensional.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Batch# 56, caged and corked bottle. A nice pop as the cork goes. Wonderful cloudy golden honey color with a big 3 finger head on top. Rings of lacing stick to the side of the glass. Impressive. Fruity notes mix with a nice spiciness, I pick out clove and some peppery tones. The fruit and spice scents play off each other nicely.

First sip is an lovely mix of tropical fruit flavor and spices. Cloves, honey and hints of pepper flow under a bed of fruit and hints of caramel. A nice balance in flavors and just a damn tasty brew all around.

Mouthfeel is fairly creamy with some nice bubbly carbonation. Smooth and easy to drink. This is a very tasty brew that I could see pairing well with food. Easily drinkable, the 9% is nearly non-existant in the taste. Cheers to Allagash for brewing a great tripel. I look forward to trying more of their brews.

4.16/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Batch #55. Had a cloudy golden color with vigorous carbonation pushing up and maintaining a bright white head that had the consistancy of meringue. Sticky gobs of lace littered the walls of the glass.
Floral, fruity nose. Smelled a lot of tropical fruits (mango, papaya) and lilac and honeysuckle with coriander, vanilla and white pepper notes. Lurking under all this was an odd soapy fragrance that was mildy off-putting.
The well balanced and complex taste erased any issues I had with the nose. Pleasant yeasty malt flavor with hints of bubblegum, light banana and tropical fruits up front. Honey-dipped tropical fruits lent a solid sweetness that was matched by the spicy back half of each taste. Coriander was dominant with support thrown in by pepper and clove. Nice herbal hops bite in the finish. The feel was full, soft and creamy, almost airy thanks to the tremendous carbonation.
Allagash's tripel is definitely the best of their line I've tried to date. Complex and well-matched between the malt and hops profiles, it's got an ease of drinkability that's hard to top. A great American example of the style and worth picking up.

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

This review was from a 750ml-corked bottle. Appearance is a fairly clear yellow with and in inch of white foamy head sitting a top. The body is very bubbly and the head leaves some rings of lace as this is consumed. Aroma is spicy with a strong doughy malt presence. Also present are fruity notes and a touch of sweetness. The flavor starts off with a strong spicy character before a bit of sweet fruitiness balances it out. Plenty of doughy malt was there holding up the back as this finished with a short lingering dry spiciness. Mouthfeel is about medium with ample carbonation. Very good drinkability for the style with a great complex flavor and well-hidden alcohol this could definitely sneak up on you. Another great offering from Allagash.

3.33/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Canary yellow with a spumous pillow-head. Commanding lace.

Spry clove and overpowering alcohol pervades the nose. Candied sugar and carmel apple with hints of overripe fruit.

Taste is largely alcoholic, a fixture of the beer I didn't find in other reviews. I couldn't get past the heat until the beer was at room temperature. Much better warm than at cellar temp.

Maltiness peeks out at this temperature; clobbering semi-sweetness melts well with the booze to calm things down.

Something like alcoholic diet-soda on steroids ... but not to say I didn't enjoy it. The mouthfeel was quite nice per style with an oily stickiness intercepted with an almost acrid tartness.

I've got another laid down, we'll see if my opinion changes...

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle, batch 38. I've been aging it about a year. Served in a New Belgium brewing goblet glass.

Appearance: Cloudy orange, bits of yeast suspended. Nice lasting head, and good lacing.

Aroma: Very spicy yeast nose, a touch phenolic. After sitting a moment, some fruit comes out too.

Flavor: Very spicy, almost pepper yeast character. Fruity flavors are fairly large, reminding me of tart apple, especially toward the close. Vanilla and banana notes are also present. A touch of bitterness at the end too. And a very lengthy, lingering finish. After a couple swallows, a nice alcoholic warmth comes through.

Body: Big body, but not heavy. Smooth and creamy texture.

An absolute top-quality Belgian-style beer: unique, complex, and very very tasty. I should have tasted it side-by-side with a new bottle, to see if any changes had taken place.

4.26/5  rDev +2.7%

Label Lingo and bottle babble: Batch # 55 present and accounted for, sir!. “Open cautiously. Contents under pressure.” Well, truer words have yet to be spoken. This cork popped out of the bottle like a kid in bed with ADD on Christmas morning! Time for the Duvel tulip, of course.

Huge porcelain white meringue head packed in the top of me Duvel capping off a hazy lemon orange hued offering. Lace is sticking plenty with excellent retention. Endless steady effervescent carbonation beading rising up. (Second yeast pour: Scrod! I broke my head! There is a volcano dent in the tight solid 2” head cap. Turbid cloudiness increased as well) A few healthy swirls and the ½” head is back and reporting for duty.

Plenty of strong peppery Belgian yeastiness. Airy aromas of banana and clove hints. When a bit warmed, some Christmas fruitcake scents are evident.

First Swigs: Spicy doughy Belgian yeast runs the show. Some awl-kee-hawl is palatable. The doughy character is fresh wet dough. Cloves and pungent esters. Lingering aftertaste. Pancake malts seem to be somewhat present, but overpowered by the spices. Sugar sweetness is a common denominator throughout the palate.

Excellent soft fizzy foam and sticky. Medium body that is perfect for this style. A bit hot, perhaps needing to sit in a cellar for a spell. Maxwell house-ian good to the last drop.

Last Swigs: Brouwerij Allagash! Remarkably Belgian-esque cloves and yeast.! Like Duvel. But Spicier. You could fool a monk with this one! The 9.0% ABV isn’t hidden, but oddly is well intermingled instead. Extremely enjoyable. One in the cellar will be reviewed at a later date. Purchased from the Beeryard in a mixed case for $55 for 12 big boys of varied ALLAGASH. Whenever a 5/5 is employed, an explanation is in order. Appearance could not be improved on this one. A work of art. That of which a sushi chef could appreciate.

Beer is good. Happy happy happy tripel tripel tripel beering beering beering.

4.39/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Served straight from the cellar at proper temp. Poured a honey gold with a nice thick head. The head didn't stick around as long as I'd anticipated, but still left nice thick lacing.
Poured into a red wine glass, for lack of "proper" glassware, but it did the trick, the smell is tremendous. Thick, sweet and yeasty. An assortment of sweet fruits comes to mind. A spicy note is picked up as well and is much more pronounced in the flavor.
Taste starts out on a spicy/peppery note, flips between tart and sweet, and finishes with a hint of alcohol. Supremely smooth and balanced. I'd drink this stuff all night if I could.

3.85/5  rDev -7.2%

Pours a very cloudy yellow color with a tall white head that takes its time in falling and leaves quite a bit of lacing on the glass. The aroma was spicy and fruity and has a large bit of sweetness. The flavor was dominated by the spice and sweetness but it also has a nice bit of fruit character. Finishes very dry with a nice bitterness. This is a well made beer.

4.73/5  rDev +14%

Allagash Tripel Reserve: Batch #55

I picked up a bottle of this at Charles Street liquors last night for $5.95.

I had this out of a 750 ML brown bottle with a caged cork. Served in a wide mouth goblet. After I opened it, I let the bottle sit for about 5-10 minutes uncorked.

Appearance is a hazy golden. Beautiful, fluffy white head on top with striking lacings that are clinging all over the goblet.

Aroma has floral features. I also smell some fruit (bananas and oranges) and that classic Belgian scent.

Taste is blowing me away. Creamy vanilla and citrus up front with a syrupy honey feature. Spice and cloves on the finish. Mild alcohol warmth during digestion.

Wow. I am really impressed. Extremely well balanced and enjoyable. This is the best tasting American Tripel that I've sampled yet. Very, very drinkable at a 9.0% ABV.

Next chance I get I am stocking up some of these. This is a great deal for what is received in quality. Allagash makes a statement with this offering.

4.82/5  rDev +16.1%

Batch #49, corked and caged in a pretty 750ml bottle.

Pours out to a hazy yellow-golden, forming a tall soapy bone-white head with excellent retention and very good lacing. Aroma is very fragrant and delicious...very floral with fruity esters and cloves, cleanly fermented and world-class, comparable to the finest tripels. Mouthfeel is initially fizzy upon the tongue with a medium-dense, wonderfully syrupy and slick body. Taste begins with floral abundance and piquant Belgian Funk, followed by tons of cloves, sugary esters and phenols, a firm malt body wonderfully balanced by mild to moderate floral bitterness. Very spicy stuff. Lingering notes of flowers and honey in the aftertaste. Expertly crafted with no discernable off-flavors and imperceptable alcohol.

This is a truly world-class tripel, and has everything I want in the style. Rich, complex, satisfying, and easy to drink, this one has it all. Comparable to Unibroue products in it's degree of craftsmanship, with a unique Belgian quality that is rarely found from an American brewery. Highly recommended!

Allagash Tripel Ale from Allagash Brewing Company