1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Allagash Confluence Ale - Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Confluence AleAllagash Confluence Ale

Allagash Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  7.50% ABV

Allagash Confluence Ale is created with a mixed fermentation; utilizing our house primary Belgian style yeast in combination with our proprietary Brettanomyces strain. The two yeast strains work in tandem creating a marriage between spice and fruit flavors that ultimately leave a lingering silky mouth feel. Confluence is brewed with a blend of both imported pilsner and domestic pale malts as well as a portion of caramel malt, resulting in a complex malty profile. Tettnang and East Kent Golding hops are added in the brew process to balance the intricate malty profile while adding a sweet and spicy citrus aroma. After fermentation, Confluence undergoes a lengthy aging process in stainless steel tanks to enhance the flavors. Prior to bottling, it is dry hopped with a Glacier hops, providing a pleasant balance of aromas.

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 01-14-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Allagash Confluence Ale Alström Bros
3.45/5  rDev -14.6%

750ml corked and caged bottle poured into a couple of wine glasses and split with my family.

A- this one pours a cloudy golden yellow colored body with a small lasting white head. small rings of lacing left on the sides of my glass.

S- the smell is very subdued on this one. faintly earthy/musty. lemon peel. semi sweet grainy malts. pepper like spice. not really what i was looking for on this one. reminds me more of a saison.

T- the taste is equally bland. that pepper like spice is there, as is the lemon zest. somewhat sweet. decently earthy/musty. once again, this isnt what i was expecting.

M- light bodied with a high level of carbonation. crisp with a dry finish.

D- meh, one of the more boring members of the american wild family that comes with a high price tag. i probably wont be checking out the other bottle of this i have for a very long time. once again, it reminds me very much of a saison.

jwinship83, Nov 09, 2009
3.5/5  rDev -13.4%

Appearance: Bit of a gusher, big creamy head (as one would expect from Allagash)

Smell: Light barnyard funk, with too much sweetness and not enough funk. Bit of white pepper and yeast (similar to their trippel)

Taste: Mild, like the smell with a fair amount of grains. Light funk, lots of fruits like pear, apple, melon, orange, etc.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and smooth but dry, Allagash has that part down pat.

Drinkability: Decent, I expected a better beer than this though, with more sour and funk. This one has too much influence from their trippel, although many of their beers suffer that fate (can't say I blame them though, stick to what works!). I hope they keep working on this as I know they can do better!

craytonic, Nov 08, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +2.2%

750ml caged and corked bottle courtesy of NutBrown. Thanks Alan!

Ahh...another American Wild Ale to test my tastebuds on.

A huge pop when I remove the cork, at first I thought this was going to gush out as I saw the liquid heading for the opening but it stopped just short. Cool. Zero beer lost!

It pours a hazy straw gold with a +2 finger head of billowy foam. I can see lots of good sized bubbles ascending to the top and my glass has some good lacing.

Taking a few whiffs, I get some nice peppery notes along with a nice earthy and bretty funk. More smelling on my part and I can sense some sweetness that I'd say is very honey like.

First sip in and the pepper starts things off followed by some lemon zest tartness and actually more of a lemon bitterness. Some funky notes are transferred from the smell but not in a big way....it's more of an earthy maltiness that I'm sensing and that's cool with me.

More sips in and I'm thinking to myself, this tastes more like a Saison than the AWAs I've tried before but what ever. This is a nice tasting and easy drinking beer and that's all that matters.

On the low end of medium bodied with a nice brisk level of carbonation, it finishes crisp and dry. Oh and head retention is typical for an Allagash brew....superb!

Drinkability? No interference from the alcohol at all and very tasty...this is a very easy drinking brew. Yet another well made beer from the gang at Allagash!

Bitterbill, Oct 10, 2009
4.9/5  rDev +21.3%

This beer smells horrible in a way that some of the world's best cheeses smell horrible. In the same way that I wouldn't condemn a cheese for smelling bad, I am not going to damage my rating of this beer for having an unpleasant nose. Confluence is a work of art in a liquid format. Beautiful mix of sweet, sour and spice... I wish it was easier to find and I wish I could get some kegs to tap at my place (i'd even be happy with some bottles). Just amazing.

KickbacksSteve, Sep 23, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

Since I didn't want to pony up a Jackson for a bottle, I was happy to see it on-tap at Beachwood,

A: Pours a cloudy yellow with a puffy looking white head, good lace.

S: White pepper, Brett is clearly evident, a yeasty smell as opposed to a bacterial one as most wilds tend to have.

T: Belgian fermented malt, lemon rind, with heavy white pepper and a ton of Brett which I greatly enjoyed. Bitter yeast flavours. Has a sourness which is real light on the finish.

M: Very dry, light acidity, medium-bodied, a very smooth beer.

D: This was very different than most wild ales you come across, it reminded me of a mix of Orval and Interlude in some ways. This beer is still heavily Belgian-influenced with a hint of America.

Halcyondays, Aug 26, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +7.7%

Had on tap at Beachwood BBQ, Seal Beach.

A- clear and blonde. Small cap of foam on the mini-pilsner 5.5 oz glass it was served in.

S- slight lactic acidity in the nose, earthy

T- mildly tart with a lemony sorta undertone and all those other flavors Brett usually imparts.

M- Very light, almost watery at one point, but not necessarily bad for this beer.

D- Very good, my taster disappeared way too fast.

MiScusi, Aug 26, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

Semi cloudy, yellowy amber, with a sparkling near white head that trails fine and scattered lacing. Fruity nose, with lemon and pinapple on the old sniffer. Very dry brew, with more citric fruits and a moderatly sour mid section and finish. Certaintly tasty, subtle, complex and interesting. Tasty brew, if it was not so expensive in bottles, I'd like to age a few and enjoy a few others. Another BA worthy effort and a quality achievement in brewing from Allagash's brewers

Billolick, Aug 24, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +18.8%

A: Poured a nice slightly hazy yellow with a bountiful head.

S: Wow..citrus, green apple, bubble gum, subtle banana..couldn't wait to take a sip.

T: One of the few beers I've tried recently where the taste surpasses the nose. Green apple, pixie-stix, and honeysuckle come to the forefront. Amazing balance. Out-fruits the fruity beers.

M: Light-bodied, which hides the alcohol content nicely.

D: There were a few new beers on tap at my buddy's bar when I tried this (and I intended on trying them all during my visit) but I left a few hours later after having only four pints of this nectar. I'd drink it all day.

I've met a handful of people who are a little baffled by this beer, but I encourage you to not be afraid. It is like a painting which seems ludicrous at first, but in which you find numerous meanings and nuances with additional viewings. Fantastically original brew.

donniecuffs, Aug 18, 2009
3.88/5  rDev -4%

Pours a deep yellow/light amber in color. Huge pop on the cork, bursting with carbonation. The gentlest pour gave the biggest head. Smells musty, and a dry-hopped aroma. I've not smelt a wild ale that smelled so hopped. Very dry, and the hops stood out at first, but over time, the other flavors came to the forefront. Dry ephervescence prevails, some citrus, apricot, light fruit. Fairly sticky on the tongue, but even for a wild, not the easiest drink. A very slow sipper, decent, but for the cost, there are better available.

damienblack, Aug 07, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Picked up a corked and caged 750 mL bottle from Total Wine. Reviewing from notes taken during the tasting on 7/22/09.

Crisp orangely color with an full inch of fluffy head that slowly settles and leaves lacing in thick coarse webs. When held up to light, the beer also exhibits a reddish hue.

Smells are complex. Wild yeasts, grassy citrus. The hops are mild and pique my interest. Also can smell some peach and apricot.

Tastes bring on more even more than the smell leads on. Strawberries, orange peel, zesty lemon hints. I also get a strong amount of wild yeasts. The beer is mildly acidic. There is the expected funk, but it mixes beautifully with the flavors. Hops contribute grassy and earthy notes. Finish is warm and spicy, almost peppery. I probably could have let this age for another 3 months, and then the yeasts woulda made this sour to perfection.

Mouthfeel is tingly and smooth, and a little dry in the finish. The complexity left me looking how to characterize the flavors. The beer was perfect for a summer evening. It is incredibly multi-faceted. Tons going on and a great drinking experience!

NittanyBeerFan, Aug 05, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +2.2%

Cage-corked 750 ml bottle. Bottled in January 2009. Poured into wide-mouth glass.

As I was twisting off the cage wiring, the cork shot out with a loud pop. Be careful opening this one! The foam went up the neck and some leaked out, but fortunately it stopped short of being a "gusher".

Pours a bright golden with a large pillowy, creamy head that slowly descends to a lasting cover. Lacing sticks. This is one good looking brew!

The smell is very funky and musty - barnyard and grassy notes. Sweettart candy is there. I love the smell of this one!

The taste is milder than the aroma. It has some funk and white grape notes, with a bitter hop touch. Alcohol is well-hidden/incorporated. Finishes dry.

It has an effervescent, creamy and smooth light body.

This drinks very easily - a nice funkyish brew.

jwc215, Jul 29, 2009
3.38/5  rDev -16.3%

I had this at an Allagash tasting on 7/23/2009. It was a rooftop bar - hard to get anything off the nose when the wind was whipping the aroma of the beer across the isle of manhattan!

What Allagash had to say:
A complex malty profile with a sweet and spicy citrus aroma and a lingering silky mouth feel. made with two types of yeast strains and a blend of domestic and imported malts, this special release is aged in stainless steel tanks then dry-hopped. 7.5% abv

What I had to say:
Head is a thick white that does not dissipate. There is grapefruit and spice with something soapy/funky with an underlying fruit that I can't really identify. It is drinkable but not in large quantities - I think the flavor I'm getting is banana and cloves. This is an interesting brew.

DawnL, Jul 25, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

January 2009 Bottle Date; Sampled July 2009
A very careful pour yields a billowing, off-white colored head that starts out a glass filling four-fingers in height, plus adds an additional, almost two-fingers of structurally sound height above the rim of my 25cl tulip glass. The head only slowly recedes, forming nice structural formations as it does so as well as leaving nice lacing patterns on the sides of my glass. Nice aromas of ripe pear, floral melon and apple are noticed as I visually inspect this beer. The beer is a hazy, pale amber color that shows an orange-gold hue when held up to the light. A nice, slightly grassy, cracker-like grain aromatic quickly yields to a firm, but not dominating, funky Brettanomyces note that provides notes of light phenols, a musty blanket note, plus a touch of muskiness. The fruit character is the most recognizable character in the nose though, with nice notes of Meyer Lemon, orange zest, and a touch of honeysuckle joining the afore-mentioned ripe fruit notes. There is an earthy yeastiness to the aroma that melds nicely with the fresh grain notes.

Nice and effervescent as it hits my tongue, the beer is a bit drier than the expressive, up front fruit aromatics might have suggested. This is very light bodied, but still has a hint of body and viscousness to it especially in the finish where it manages to just stick to the palate. Slightly tart and tasting of ripe green apples, some floral melon qualities as well as some notes of ripe pear. These notes morph into a orange-zest like citrus note towards the finish that tends to linger for a bit on the palate. Musty Brettanomyces notes add a certain woody white pepper note, a touch of phenolic soaked cotton ball flavors, some spiciness that is similar to oak. There is some more structure in the finish from a nice hop bitterness that is noticeable, but not domineering. There is perhaps just a hint of malt sweetness to this beer, much of the time I think I am imagining it because of the floral fruit notes found here, but there does seem to be a touch of something that boosts the malt character just a hint. Other malt notes of unsalted saltine crackers, a touch of grassiness and a nice crushed pale malt note.

This beer remains stubbornly effervescent until the end of the bottle; this works quite well with this quaffable-beyond-its-alcohol beer. I like the balance in the flavor between the spicy fermentation notes, the fruit, the pale malt and the fresh hop character that this brew has. At times the zesty hop character really comes through quite well; this must have been quite a bit more hoppy when freshly released. It is eminently quaffable with just enough Brettanomyces influence to keep my interest piqued throughout. Definitely a wonderful effort and I like that the Allagash house Brett strain has run rough-shod over the rest of the beer (though that can be nice at times too). I wish I had a couple more bottles of this to age.

Gueuzedude, Jul 25, 2009
3.4/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

(Mini-milestone - 375 reviews to date and going strong!)

So, despite the relatively "hum drum" reviews of this beer (at the present date), I have been very excited to try another American brewers take on a sour beer. Oh, scratch that, I mean "American Wile Ale" beer.

To add to the drama - here's an interesting conundrum , if it wasn't for the steep price tag on this one ($17.99 locally in Ohio) I would have tried it sooner. See, that was my initial thought, but I regularly drop $25 - $30 per 750 of a Russian River sour and enjoy every drop. Interesting. Maybe it's Russian River's time on the market... Maybe after Allagash establishes itself more in time in the Wild arena? Who knows... To be honest I am surprised you made it this far through my review! Anyhow, onto my review.

Thanks go to newtonty for bringing this to my place tonight. (He's single and has disposable income) Taken straight out of the fridge and popped... Oh, by the way - the pop was MASSIVE! I popped it on the back deck and I am glad I did. Very aggressive "pop-age" .

Pours a light brown, almost caramel in color. Moderately cloudy with a 1 & 1/2 inch, nasty head. The kinda head that's massive, big, nasty and bubbly, as a sour should be. Reminds me of the sea foam that washes ashore, the morning after a big storm.

I get mild funk and candied sweets on the nose. There might be traces of a brown ale in there, as well, as I get a tinge of nuttiness, as well.

Ok, this one's not very sour at all, but rather mildly funky. I get the barn, some sweaty gym shoes and lots of candied sweets - all followed by mellow, sweet malts.

This is a first for me, a Belgian sweet/Wild combination. I'm not a fan of sweet beers, so...

Definitely unique, but not one I'll run out for for $18. Keep up the good work though, Allagash.

beachbum1975, Jul 25, 2009
3.55/5  rDev -12.1%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a Weizenbock glass.

A: Extremely heady! ¾ of my glass was initially all head...even after the gentlest of pours. After the head has subsided...a beautiful, but yet hazy, dark yellow liquid laid underneath the massive white frothy head.

S: A slight funk to go along with strong wheat and banana like qualities.

T: As my friend suggested, this brew tasted like a combination of farmhouse with some sour and tart characteristics. A very complex malt character, that seems to be too condensed...if that makes sense...but pleasant at the same time

M: Medium-body beer with good carbonation.

D: A great hot weather beer with nice fruity notes.

Overall: An average to above-average AWA. Cheers!

OlieIPA, Jul 24, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

the color pours a nice amber. i let a little yeast in so it hazed up a bit but i won't dock points. poofy head looks nice, and leaves good lacing. nice scents coming from the suds, too

wild, sour aromas dance with fruity sweetness. peach, apricot, zesty european hop (lemon)

upon tasting, the sweetness is largely relegated to the finish. plenty of acidic wildness. the yeast character comes across perhaps as spicy? white pepper? a good amount of funk, certainly, but it's a little different of an experience that my most recent wild brews. the flavor profile is perhaps not as dynamic as the aroma suggested it might be: sweetness seems to have taken a far more distant role than it did in the bouquet. dryish, actually, which turns out to be OK, though it lacks backbone to a minimal degree

bruachan, Jul 18, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -8.9%

Thanks Seth for giving me the opportunity to try this one. Poured into a tulip glass.

A- Pours a hazy golden orange. Produced a healthy three fingers width of white, fluffy head. Lots of lacing as the beer was consumed. Truly a thing of beauty.

S- Getting a little bit of barnyard funk from the brett. Also noticeable is a bit or orange and lemon zest, along with earthy/grassy hops. A hint of sourness lingers.

T- Any notes of funk or sourness in the aroma were absent here...a big disappointment. The brett presence was there, but was pretty weak and truly lacked a lot of the typical barnyard qualities. Really neutral, you get a little bit of mustiness on the palate. Also a big earthy flavor from the hops in the finish.

M- Extremely dry. Light to medium bodied. Overcarbonated.

D- The neutrality of the flavors coupled with the moutfeel made this somewhat difficult to drink.

Overall, this tasted more like a saison than a wild ale to me. Even compared to most saisons, this falls short on many levels. Not really impressed with this offering from Allagash.

rhinos00, Jul 17, 2009

A 750 mL bottle courtesy of Rochefortnh10.

A: The ale is a a pale straw/orange color, obscured by a touch of haze anda steady stream of carbonation. A finger of head was quick to whittle away to a constantly-replenished white band.

S: The aroma is a mild funkiness followed by sweet fruit. Lemon and apple with a touch of pepper and some grassiness. A lightly bretty finish.

T: A peppery heat starts things off right before a mustiness takes over. The sweetness from the nose is gone, replaced by a rather dry flavor that has only the barest of fruitiness. Grassy hops are present throughout but not too strong. I swished around a sip and found that more fruits emerged, apricot and pineapple are sparse but there. The peppery blast and and mustiness is a formidable combination.

M: The mouthfeel's wild flavor is the dominating aspect, creating some heat and a bone-dry taste. The fruits are hard to find but nice when they finally come around.

D: This one doesn't taste like 7+%. The heat and funk make me instinctively reach for another sip.

akorsak, Jul 16, 2009
3.98/5  rDev -1.5%

A-Hazy orange hued golden/copper with a veil of a white head that left no lacing.

S-Like a fruit bowl with notes of apricot, a hint of citrus, some dried pineapple and some mustiness.

T-Light, green apple, sour apricot with some citrus zip in the finish. Tart/sour "funky" aspect is quite light and may build with some aging.

M-Medium bodied mildly tart with good lingering flavours.

D-Nice, a mildly tart fruit bowl. Not overly complex and seems to be lacking something. Glad I was able to get this on tap and not pay $20+ for a bottle. It's nice but not that nice.

Deuane, Jul 15, 2009
3.58/5  rDev -11.4%

Birthday beer.

Pale, translucent to opague custard yellow. Large white foamy head that sticks everywhere.

Smells like mildly funky corn tortillas and springtime meadows (grassy hops I guess?) with lemongrass and apricot. Farmish.

Not as wild or funky as I had hoped. Starts out like a Belgian pale and gets lost along the way. Orange marmalade in the middle with a yeasty funk snap at the end. Sugary pear and green apple after the swallow. Sulfur-ish mouthfeel.

This beer all over and rather than complexity it comes through as muddled confusion. Granted, this was a birthday present but I saw it for $22 at some stores. Confluence is ok, but it's not $22 ok.

donkeyrunner, Jul 05, 2009
3.85/5  rDev -4.7%

32 oz growler filled at Whole Foods into red wine glass; big thanks to Knifestyles for the heads up on this one - would have probably missed it otherwise.

Pours a hazy apricot gold, with a fluffy off-white head of about 1.5 fingers after an aggressive pour that settles into a soapy layer with a cluster of big bubbles near the center; clings nicely to the walls of the glass as the beer settles.

Nose is a combination of green apples, bit of smooth lemony citrus, white grapes, tart but fairly clean. There's just a bit of a grassy note coming out as well at different points, I suppose from the dry hopping. I'm not getting much funk, just the clean tart notes alongside the grassy hops. I don't mind that much personally, but that's just me.

Taste is kind of all over the place. Light citrus and some barnyard that's just a bit plasticy up front with a big herbal hop note coming in early and crescendoing to the finish. The herbal, grassy notes from the hops seems a bit at odds with the barnyardy notes, which themselves seem to lack either the brisk tartness or the straight up funk that I would have liked to have seen, instead ending up with a beer that seems much more herbal than wild, with fairly light funk coming through and a finish that's almost peppery from the straight Belgian yeast strain. This one I think tries to do too much, and while it doesn't fail at any of it, it also doesn't come close to any rousing successes either. A decent but very unspectacular wild ale.

Mouthfeel is fine. Medium-light body, moderate to light carbonation that kind of fizzles towards the end of the glass.

Drinkability is hit by the weird herbal nature of this one that just kind of gets out of hand for me.

JohnQVegas, Jul 01, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +5.9%

on-tap at sunset grill and tap, in allson, ma, on april 22, 2009 during the week of the craft brewers conference. served in 10oz tulip glass.

golden straw w brown amber tint. slightly hazy. creamy head quickly recedes to thin wispy layer, then just small wisps and ring. sparse, thin lacing here and there.

aroma: funky w overripe apple, pear and grapes. woody oak hint and leathery brett. hay and grass, with hint of "sweaty" vinegar funk.

taste: tart white grapes and pears, into leathery and woody brett. hay and grass character in the hops, with mild to moderate bitterness, melding with phenols and herbal/spice, almost anise note, plus more mild funk. quite pleasant in combination. dry finish with hint of esters and acidity.

light to medium body. very smooth, with flash of astringency in the finish. crisp carbonation. alcohol is deftly hidden, practically undetectable.

ok, allagash - we all know you just snuck in some of de proef's yeast here, perhaps from your collaboration with them... admit it! ;-)

tai4ji2x, Jun 27, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

On-tap at Raleigh Times served in a tulip glass a hazy straw yellow with a decent frothy layer that lasts as a thin layer and leaves decent lacing. Aroma is loads of sour citrus and decent spice. The taste is a decent amount od sour citrus and slight malt with decent spicing. The beer is fairly light with well hidden alcohol. This is a very enjoyable Wild Ale.

atsprings, Jun 25, 2009
2.8/5  rDev -30.7%

Appearance: Golden colored, clear and bright, with two fingers of lasting head.

Smell: Musty, mildly funky in a very phenolic, plasticy sort of way, with some grassy, herbal hops on top of it all. Dry hopped plastic barn.

Taste & mouthfeel: Herbal hoppiness and astringent husky grain, bit of green apple. Phenolic, yeasty, mildly funky but more rubbery than anything. The crisp, dry texture is nice, but that's unfortunately the only nice aspect of this beer. More mediocre overpriced beer from Allagash, woohoo.

largadeer, Jun 22, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

A: This pours transparent gold, with no visible bubbles. It has an off-white frothy head that quickly dissolves.

S: I smell honeysuckle, sweet oranges, dandelion greens, some bitter herbs, and perhaps a hint of plantain.

T: I taste sweet lemon, leather, and edible flowers, with an ashy finish.

M. This feel heavy in my mouth, with light but prickly carbonation that keep the flavors moving in my mouth.

D: This is complex drink that seems evolve with each sip. I could easily see killing a bomber of this by myself.

Maction, Jun 18, 2009