Allagash Confluence Ale - Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Confluence AleAllagash Confluence Ale

Allagash Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  7.50% ABV

Allagash Confluence Ale is created with a mixed fermentation; utilizing our house primary Belgian style yeast in combination with our proprietary Brettanomyces strain. The two yeast strains work in tandem creating a marriage between spice and fruit flavors that ultimately leave a lingering silky mouth feel. Confluence is brewed with a blend of both imported pilsner and domestic pale malts as well as a portion of caramel malt, resulting in a complex malty profile. Tettnang and East Kent Golding hops are added in the brew process to balance the intricate malty profile while adding a sweet and spicy citrus aroma. After fermentation, Confluence undergoes a lengthy aging process in stainless steel tanks to enhance the flavors. Prior to bottling, it is dry hopped with a Glacier hops, providing a pleasant balance of aromas.

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 01-14-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Allagash Confluence Ale Alström Bros

4.9/5  rDev +21.6%

This beer smells horrible in a way that some of the world's best cheeses smell horrible. In the same way that I wouldn't condemn a cheese for smelling bad, I am not going to damage my rating of this beer for having an unpleasant nose. Confluence is a work of art in a liquid format. Beautiful mix of sweet, sour and spice... I wish it was easier to find and I wish I could get some kegs to tap at my place (i'd even be happy with some bottles). Just amazing.

4.8/5  rDev +19.1%

A: Poured a nice slightly hazy yellow with a bountiful head.

S: Wow..citrus, green apple, bubble gum, subtle banana..couldn't wait to take a sip.

T: One of the few beers I've tried recently where the taste surpasses the nose. Green apple, pixie-stix, and honeysuckle come to the forefront. Amazing balance. Out-fruits the fruity beers.

M: Light-bodied, which hides the alcohol content nicely.

D: There were a few new beers on tap at my buddy's bar when I tried this (and I intended on trying them all during my visit) but I left a few hours later after having only four pints of this nectar. I'd drink it all day.

I've met a handful of people who are a little baffled by this beer, but I encourage you to not be afraid. It is like a painting which seems ludicrous at first, but in which you find numerous meanings and nuances with additional viewings. Fantastically original brew.

4.8/5  rDev +19.1%

Man, really good beer. These folks know what they're doing. Poured with a huge, foamy, frothy, rocky, off-white head that lasts a long time and lots of lace. Color is a clear, slightly pale amber. Aroma is full and of yeast, barnyard, spice, hops, malt, fresh cut grass. Flavor is similar to nose and has a slightly sweet background upon which are the tart and bitter flavors are evidenced. Body is excellent - in the way that is best for this style, not too thick yet not thin with champagne-like carbonation. The finish is like flavor and where I notice the characteristics of the Brett which nicely complements the beer. Finish is fairly long. Satisfying, good drinking beer. I'd defy someone blindfolded to say this isn't Belgian. Kudos to Allagash brewmasters; a hearty well done!

4.78/5  rDev +18.6%

This is my first american wild, so I have little background with the style, and am basing this review on the quality of the beer as a beer and based on the style guidelines.

A pale orange color with a finger and a half of big bubbly head. The lacing is thick and soapy and the retention is nothing short of perfect.

The nose and mouth blend together into perfect harmony. There are layers of funk, some barnyard going on...some rotten fruit notes...all of this mixes into this amazing nose and flavor. This beer does not stop changing, different levels of fruit and funk....amazing.

The mouthfeelis incredibly crisp, there is some lingering sweetness and then BAM! it vanishes into nothing but a single sour note. Very dry, addictive.

I could only drink so much of this, I have no others of the style to compare it to, but I will easily finish this 750. I like this beer a lot...the cost may be prohibitive, but I will try again.

Allagash Confluence Ale from Allagash Brewing Company