Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Allagash Confluence Ale - Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Confluence AleAllagash Confluence Ale

Allagash Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 01-14-2009

Allagash Confluence Ale is created with a mixed fermentation; utilizing our house primary Belgian style yeast in combination with our proprietary Brettanomyces strain. The two yeast strains work in tandem creating a marriage between spice and fruit flavors that ultimately leave a lingering silky mouth feel. Confluence is brewed with a blend of both imported pilsner and domestic pale malts as well as a portion of caramel malt, resulting in a complex malty profile. Tettnang and East Kent Golding hops are added in the brew process to balance the intricate malty profile while adding a sweet and spicy citrus aroma. After fermentation, Confluence undergoes a lengthy aging process in stainless steel tanks to enhance the flavors. Prior to bottling, it is dry hopped with a Glacier hops, providing a pleasant balance of aromas.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Allagash Confluence Ale Alström Bros
4.28/5  rDev +6.2%

Big thanks goes out to kmurray8621 for shipping me this way back when. Thanks a bunch Kevin!

Nearly a year on this January 2009 bottle.

Cracked this sucker open tonight, the cork shot off when I poked it, literally! Beautiful hazy orange color sits below a egg-shell white head with some of the best retention I've ever seen. The head is incredibly creamy and smooth, it looks like solid foam, like if I poked it it would bounce back. Despite this, lacing isn't the best, only appearing in areas. Lacing aside, this beer looks perfect.

The nose is lightly acidic and funky. Light barnyard funky aromas mix well with fruity yeast characters. Normally, I wouldn't be a fan of a beer with a lighter aroma such as this, but it gives off a good vibe. Like it's hiding something, like it's shy. It makes me want to drink it more.

Now I see why the nose was so "shy." Unfortunately, there isn't much going on in the taste. I got a light acidic character in the nose, and it's not coming out in the taste at all. A crisp carbonation clouds everything and makes it hard to pick up individual tastes. A light barn funkyness comes out more as it warms, but the fruitiness of the nose isn't as well defined here. Was expecting just a little more, but this still tastes great.

Light to medium bodied, with a fine, crisp carbonation. Maybe slightly over-carbonated, but I like my Wild Ales to have a fine crisp carbonation. Drinkability is great. Alcohol, while not hard to hide at this level, is well hidden.

Overall, a solid example of an American Wild. If this was cheaper, I would consider drinking this more often, but for the price and the lengths I went to get it I don't think I'll be having it anytime soon. A great beer, just not one that I would go out of my way to get again. Thanks Kevin for this great beer! (1,813 characters)

Out of a bomber this beer was a hazy, golden-orange color with two fingers of billowing head. The retention was good and the lacing good too. The aroma was complex and a little queer, leafy/grassy notes, sweet fruits (apples and pears) as well as the must of wild yeast. The flavors were similar with a strong emphasis on the Brettanomyces. The alcohol punch was also quite distinct but the fruit and must helped to conceal it. Earthiness and a good malt backbone helped to balance it all. Some lemon-like citrus notes appeared as it warmed up and the finish was dry and clean but a little awkward. The body was medium and the mouthfeel was pretty good but the carbonation remained pretty high throughout the whole sampling. (724 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I've been excited about the idea of opening this one. The weather reverted back to summery saison/wild ale weather, so it seems like a perfect Friday afternoon for this.

I chose a tulip glass. The cork blasted out in a loud report, without too much coaxing. Large fizzy head with a lot of small bubbles over a bright clear white-gold body. It definitely has that "warm weather beer" look to it. A looker, no doubt.

Very typical good "funky saison" aroma of orange blossom, rosewater, underripe nectarine, hay, and wet leather. A little pungent yeast/sweaty sock aroma comes in as it warms.

One sip, and it's clear that our friend Brettanomyces has had free reign in the bottle for the past year, as this is dessicatingly dry. There's a big hit of white pepper up front, along with some real crackling, palate-scrubbing carbonation. After that, green stonefruit and some pineapple essence make cameo appearances before the surprisingly zesty hop character ushers in the inevitable dry, peppery-with-a-hint-of-wet-earth finish. Very refreshing in its dry intensity, I'm surprised there is as much hop as there is, at exactly one year old.

Upon first pour, I feel that it does come off as slightly over-carbonated. Let it breathe for a couple minutes in the glass, however, and this will not be a problem at all.

As you might imagine, it's an easy drinker for saison aficionados. Unfortunately, I am drinking this straight up - it would excel with many food pairings, I'd imagine. Mushroom risotto? Smoked salmon? Mussels? Clams? It's an overall pleasure to drink, and to review. Yes, it is a little pricey, but saison lovers should pull the trigger on this at least once. (1,678 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass

A - Beautiful orange color, with a nice puffy white head. The head has hints of orange in it as well. Body is a bit hazy with a really great color. The retention of the head was great, and slowly subsided to lumps of foam on top of the beer and on the glass.

S - The citrus aroma is the most dominant and distinct of smells. In the background, a bit of brett comes through, and adds a nice characteristic to the overall aroma. Hints of spice as well.

T - The fruitiness begins to take over the bitterness of the citrus when it hits the mouth. Almost like eating a nice ripe orange. There is also a bit of spice that comes through more in the taste than it did in the smell

M - heavily carbonated with a nice light body, which finishes very nicely. Leaves a bit of dryness over all, though.

D - Pretty good overall. I enjoyed this at the Allagash brewery, and then again on a summer afternoon, outside, with a couple good stinky cheeses. Something about the earthiness of this beer lends itself to being enjoyed outdoors. (1,065 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -1.5%

750mL bottle, corked & caged, $16.99 from Champanes in Warren, MI. When I twisted off the cage the cork popped out in an explosion, followed by a gush of foam. Even after sitting a while, each pour generates large pillows of rocky foam in each glass. The beer is crystal clear in the first pours, tending towards murky in final stretch due to yeasty sediment.

The beer smells really funky and sour, strongly similar to the nose of Orval, tart brett throughout. The taste isn't quite bracingly sour, but lives just about on that edge. Barnyard flavors (horseblanket, mustiness, etc) that hit the spot for me, also a light citrus in the bitter aftertaste, maybe not too far from lemons. Very good and easy to quaff. I love what Allagash does with wild ales, I just wish it were cheaper (along the lines of Jolly Pumpkin). Then again, Lost Abbey charges twice as much, so this may be a relatively pricey luxury for the foreseeable future. (936 characters)

4.03/5  rDev 0%

Poured into an urthel tulip type glass.

Pours 1 finger of bright white head. Amazing retention. Probably the best I have ever seen. Nice splattered lace left as well. Color is a dark burnt orange.

Aoma: lemon, grassy hops, funky barnyard flavors, big brett notes as well. I also get yeast flavors and spices. Very solid beer.

Taste: Lots of spices, lemon, brett, grassy hops, some barnyard funk. A quite tasty beer and I almost gave it a 4.5.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, bubbly, and refreshing. Medium bodied with a wonderful amount of carbonation. Ends just slightly dry, but pretty clean.

Overall, I was very impressed with this allagash offering. This beer was well done. I am very impressed and it is very drinkable. This would be something I would definitely pick more up of. (776 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -2.5%

A: Pours a hazy golden with a big foamy head. Good sustain with moderate lacing.

S: A musty brett smell with a bit of spiciness.

T: A little bit of sourness, a lot of funk. A very strong and dominant brett taste with a minty character and soft citrus notes.

M: Fairly light-bodied with champagne-like carbonation. A bit rough on the palate.

D: Pretty solid, but there's room for improvement. The brett is a bit too dominant, and the mouthfeel is a bit too carbonated, but otherwise, quite nice. (498 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured an explosive cloudy copper with a head that takes a while to settle. Earthy aroma replete with brett and fruit. White apples, pear, and citrus zest mixed with Belgian yeast. Funky. Both in the nose and taste. Yet, the funk is the pleasant variety that enhances the sweetness of the underlying brew. More apples and now a vinuous quality pop up. Pleasant trippel-like spice and body. Wouldn't really call this a sour beer, as it is more earthy and fruity than anything else. Nice. (486 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

a: This was a foamer. Under all that was a cloudy golden color with orange highlights.

s: Tart peaches and apricots with a litlle lemon zest are what I noticed first. Also, plenty of zesty, peppery yeastiness, musty grains, and a surprisingly potent oaky tobacco aroma. Softly assertive and very deep overall.

t: It wasn't the strongest part of the flavor profile, not even close. But what jumped out at me most about this was the oak/tobacco flavor. It takes a definite backseat to the apricots and tart, musty yeastiness. This did have the strongest wood flavor I've tasted in a sour beer so far. Having said that, this was balanced and fun to drink.

m: Despite all the foam, this felt gentle in my mouth.

d: Great beer, thanks joepais. This reminded me of their collaboration with De Proef. A joy to drink, even my wife liked this one. (843 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +3.5%

I have been drinking quite a few of these on tap recently. Poured into a tulip glass it produces a good two finger white head on top of a sometimes clear, sometimes cloudy golden orange body.

The conflicting yeasts produce some awesomely strange aromas. I got some fruits and funk and this wonderfully strange combination of both. The flavor I must say grows on you. Green apples and sour grapes lemon and citrus hops are just some of the complex flavors. I will also say that it is a solid medium feel in my mouth with great carbonation.
I have had up to two pours of this brew and I say that was my limit do to the punch it packs. I have grown to like this beer and will drink it again (688 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Very hazy golden orange with a billowing off-white head. Head is a solid three to four fingers thick despite a very gentle pour and retention is excellent. As it slowly fades it leves huge chunks of foam on the glass.

S - Citrus fruit and a musty earthiness mix together nicely. Hints of lemon and orange. A white pepper spiciness begins to emerge as well. Just a touch of Brett makes an appearance as well.

T - Zesty fruitiness up front with lots of lemon especially comng to mind. Light spiciness as well. A musty earthiness comes through in the finish. Rather dry throughout.

M/D - Light, crisp and a very well carbonated. Very lively in the mouth. Very easy drinking as well. (686 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -14.9%

750ml corked and caged bottle poured into a couple of wine glasses and split with my family.

A- this one pours a cloudy golden yellow colored body with a small lasting white head. small rings of lacing left on the sides of my glass.

S- the smell is very subdued on this one. faintly earthy/musty. lemon peel. semi sweet grainy malts. pepper like spice. not really what i was looking for on this one. reminds me more of a saison.

T- the taste is equally bland. that pepper like spice is there, as is the lemon zest. somewhat sweet. decently earthy/musty. once again, this isnt what i was expecting.

M- light bodied with a high level of carbonation. crisp with a dry finish.

D- meh, one of the more boring members of the american wild family that comes with a high price tag. i probably wont be checking out the other bottle of this i have for a very long time. once again, it reminds me very much of a saison. (918 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -13.2%

Appearance: Bit of a gusher, big creamy head (as one would expect from Allagash)

Smell: Light barnyard funk, with too much sweetness and not enough funk. Bit of white pepper and yeast (similar to their trippel)

Taste: Mild, like the smell with a fair amount of grains. Light funk, lots of fruits like pear, apple, melon, orange, etc.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and smooth but dry, Allagash has that part down pat.

Drinkability: Decent, I expected a better beer than this though, with more sour and funk. This one has too much influence from their trippel, although many of their beers suffer that fate (can't say I blame them though, stick to what works!). I hope they keep working on this as I know they can do better! (714 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +2.5%

750ml caged and corked bottle courtesy of NutBrown. Thanks Alan!

Ahh...another American Wild Ale to test my tastebuds on.

A huge pop when I remove the cork, at first I thought this was going to gush out as I saw the liquid heading for the opening but it stopped just short. Cool. Zero beer lost!

It pours a hazy straw gold with a +2 finger head of billowy foam. I can see lots of good sized bubbles ascending to the top and my glass has some good lacing.

Taking a few whiffs, I get some nice peppery notes along with a nice earthy and bretty funk. More smelling on my part and I can sense some sweetness that I'd say is very honey like.

First sip in and the pepper starts things off followed by some lemon zest tartness and actually more of a lemon bitterness. Some funky notes are transferred from the smell but not in a big way....it's more of an earthy maltiness that I'm sensing and that's cool with me.

More sips in and I'm thinking to myself, this tastes more like a Saison than the AWAs I've tried before but what ever. This is a nice tasting and easy drinking beer and that's all that matters.

On the low end of medium bodied with a nice brisk level of carbonation, it finishes crisp and dry. Oh and head retention is typical for an Allagash brew....superb!

Drinkability? No interference from the alcohol at all and very tasty...this is a very easy drinking brew. Yet another well made beer from the gang at Allagash! (1,435 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +21.1%

This beer smells horrible in a way that some of the world's best cheeses smell horrible. In the same way that I wouldn't condemn a cheese for smelling bad, I am not going to damage my rating of this beer for having an unpleasant nose. Confluence is a work of art in a liquid format. Beautiful mix of sweet, sour and spice... I wish it was easier to find and I wish I could get some kegs to tap at my place (i'd even be happy with some bottles). Just amazing. (458 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

Since I didn't want to pony up a Jackson for a bottle, I was happy to see it on-tap at Beachwood,

A: Pours a cloudy yellow with a puffy looking white head, good lace.

S: White pepper, Brett is clearly evident, a yeasty smell as opposed to a bacterial one as most wilds tend to have.

T: Belgian fermented malt, lemon rind, with heavy white pepper and a ton of Brett which I greatly enjoyed. Bitter yeast flavours. Has a sourness which is real light on the finish.

M: Very dry, light acidity, medium-bodied, a very smooth beer.

D: This was very different than most wild ales you come across, it reminded me of a mix of Orval and Interlude in some ways. This beer is still heavily Belgian-influenced with a hint of America. (725 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +7.4%

Had on tap at Beachwood BBQ, Seal Beach.

A- clear and blonde. Small cap of foam on the mini-pilsner 5.5 oz glass it was served in.

S- slight lactic acidity in the nose, earthy

T- mildly tart with a lemony sorta undertone and all those other flavors Brett usually imparts.

M- Very light, almost watery at one point, but not necessarily bad for this beer.

D- Very good, my taster disappeared way too fast. (408 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +6.7%

Semi cloudy, yellowy amber, with a sparkling near white head that trails fine and scattered lacing. Fruity nose, with lemon and pinapple on the old sniffer. Very dry brew, with more citric fruits and a moderatly sour mid section and finish. Certaintly tasty, subtle, complex and interesting. Tasty brew, if it was not so expensive in bottles, I'd like to age a few and enjoy a few others. Another BA worthy effort and a quality achievement in brewing from Allagash's brewers (474 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +18.4%

A: Poured a nice slightly hazy yellow with a bountiful head.

S: Wow..citrus, green apple, bubble gum, subtle banana..couldn't wait to take a sip.

T: One of the few beers I've tried recently where the taste surpasses the nose. Green apple, pixie-stix, and honeysuckle come to the forefront. Amazing balance. Out-fruits the fruity beers.

M: Light-bodied, which hides the alcohol content nicely.

D: There were a few new beers on tap at my buddy's bar when I tried this (and I intended on trying them all during my visit) but I left a few hours later after having only four pints of this nectar. I'd drink it all day.

I've met a handful of people who are a little baffled by this beer, but I encourage you to not be afraid. It is like a painting which seems ludicrous at first, but in which you find numerous meanings and nuances with additional viewings. Fantastically original brew. (885 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -4%

Pours a deep yellow/light amber in color. Huge pop on the cork, bursting with carbonation. The gentlest pour gave the biggest head. Smells musty, and a dry-hopped aroma. I've not smelt a wild ale that smelled so hopped. Very dry, and the hops stood out at first, but over time, the other flavors came to the forefront. Dry ephervescence prevails, some citrus, apricot, light fruit. Fairly sticky on the tongue, but even for a wild, not the easiest drink. A very slow sipper, decent, but for the cost, there are better available. (528 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Picked up a corked and caged 750 mL bottle from Total Wine. Reviewing from notes taken during the tasting on 7/22/09.

Crisp orangely color with an full inch of fluffy head that slowly settles and leaves lacing in thick coarse webs. When held up to light, the beer also exhibits a reddish hue.

Smells are complex. Wild yeasts, grassy citrus. The hops are mild and pique my interest. Also can smell some peach and apricot.

Tastes bring on more even more than the smell leads on. Strawberries, orange peel, zesty lemon hints. I also get a strong amount of wild yeasts. The beer is mildly acidic. There is the expected funk, but it mixes beautifully with the flavors. Hops contribute grassy and earthy notes. Finish is warm and spicy, almost peppery. I probably could have let this age for another 3 months, and then the yeasts woulda made this sour to perfection.

Mouthfeel is tingly and smooth, and a little dry in the finish. The complexity left me looking how to characterize the flavors. The beer was perfect for a summer evening. It is incredibly multi-faceted. Tons going on and a great drinking experience! (1,114 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +3%

Cage-corked 750 ml bottle. Bottled in January 2009. Poured into wide-mouth glass.

As I was twisting off the cage wiring, the cork shot out with a loud pop. Be careful opening this one! The foam went up the neck and some leaked out, but fortunately it stopped short of being a "gusher".

Pours a bright golden with a large pillowy, creamy head that slowly descends to a lasting cover. Lacing sticks. This is one good looking brew!

The smell is very funky and musty - barnyard and grassy notes. Sweettart candy is there. I love the smell of this one!

The taste is milder than the aroma. It has some funk and white grape notes, with a bitter hop touch. Alcohol is well-hidden/incorporated. Finishes dry.

It has an effervescent, creamy and smooth light body.

This drinks very easily - a nice funkyish brew. (807 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -14.9%

I had this at an Allagash tasting on 7/23/2009. It was a rooftop bar - hard to get anything off the nose when the wind was whipping the aroma of the beer across the isle of manhattan!

What Allagash had to say:
A complex malty profile with a sweet and spicy citrus aroma and a lingering silky mouth feel. made with two types of yeast strains and a blend of domestic and imported malts, this special release is aged in stainless steel tanks then dry-hopped. 7.5% abv

What I had to say:
Head is a thick white that does not dissipate. There is grapefruit and spice with something soapy/funky with an underlying fruit that I can't really identify. It is drinkable but not in large quantities - I think the flavor I'm getting is banana and cloves. This is an interesting brew. (772 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

January 2009 Bottle Date; Sampled July 2009
A very careful pour yields a billowing, off-white colored head that starts out a glass filling four-fingers in height, plus adds an additional, almost two-fingers of structurally sound height above the rim of my 25cl tulip glass. The head only slowly recedes, forming nice structural formations as it does so as well as leaving nice lacing patterns on the sides of my glass. Nice aromas of ripe pear, floral melon and apple are noticed as I visually inspect this beer. The beer is a hazy, pale amber color that shows an orange-gold hue when held up to the light. A nice, slightly grassy, cracker-like grain aromatic quickly yields to a firm, but not dominating, funky Brettanomyces note that provides notes of light phenols, a musty blanket note, plus a touch of muskiness. The fruit character is the most recognizable character in the nose though, with nice notes of Meyer Lemon, orange zest, and a touch of honeysuckle joining the afore-mentioned ripe fruit notes. There is an earthy yeastiness to the aroma that melds nicely with the fresh grain notes.

Nice and effervescent as it hits my tongue, the beer is a bit drier than the expressive, up front fruit aromatics might have suggested. This is very light bodied, but still has a hint of body and viscousness to it especially in the finish where it manages to just stick to the palate. Slightly tart and tasting of ripe green apples, some floral melon qualities as well as some notes of ripe pear. These notes morph into a orange-zest like citrus note towards the finish that tends to linger for a bit on the palate. Musty Brettanomyces notes add a certain woody white pepper note, a touch of phenolic soaked cotton ball flavors, some spiciness that is similar to oak. There is some more structure in the finish from a nice hop bitterness that is noticeable, but not domineering. There is perhaps just a hint of malt sweetness to this beer, much of the time I think I am imagining it because of the floral fruit notes found here, but there does seem to be a touch of something that boosts the malt character just a hint. Other malt notes of unsalted saltine crackers, a touch of grassiness and a nice crushed pale malt note.

This beer remains stubbornly effervescent until the end of the bottle; this works quite well with this quaffable-beyond-its-alcohol beer. I like the balance in the flavor between the spicy fermentation notes, the fruit, the pale malt and the fresh hop character that this brew has. At times the zesty hop character really comes through quite well; this must have been quite a bit more hoppy when freshly released. It is eminently quaffable with just enough Brettanomyces influence to keep my interest piqued throughout. Definitely a wonderful effort and I like that the Allagash house Brett strain has run rough-shod over the rest of the beer (though that can be nice at times too). I wish I had a couple more bottles of this to age. (2,960 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

(Mini-milestone - 375 reviews to date and going strong!)

So, despite the relatively "hum drum" reviews of this beer (at the present date), I have been very excited to try another American brewers take on a sour beer. Oh, scratch that, I mean "American Wile Ale" beer.

To add to the drama - here's an interesting conundrum , if it wasn't for the steep price tag on this one ($17.99 locally in Ohio) I would have tried it sooner. See, that was my initial thought, but I regularly drop $25 - $30 per 750 of a Russian River sour and enjoy every drop. Interesting. Maybe it's Russian River's time on the market... Maybe after Allagash establishes itself more in time in the Wild arena? Who knows... To be honest I am surprised you made it this far through my review! Anyhow, onto my review.

Thanks go to newtonty for bringing this to my place tonight. (He's single and has disposable income) Taken straight out of the fridge and popped... Oh, by the way - the pop was MASSIVE! I popped it on the back deck and I am glad I did. Very aggressive "pop-age" .

Pours a light brown, almost caramel in color. Moderately cloudy with a 1 & 1/2 inch, nasty head. The kinda head that's massive, big, nasty and bubbly, as a sour should be. Reminds me of the sea foam that washes ashore, the morning after a big storm.

I get mild funk and candied sweets on the nose. There might be traces of a brown ale in there, as well, as I get a tinge of nuttiness, as well.

Ok, this one's not very sour at all, but rather mildly funky. I get the barn, some sweaty gym shoes and lots of candied sweets - all followed by mellow, sweet malts.

This is a first for me, a Belgian sweet/Wild combination. I'm not a fan of sweet beers, so...

Definitely unique, but not one I'll run out for for $18. Keep up the good work though, Allagash. (1,809 characters)

Allagash Confluence Ale from Allagash Brewing Company