Microbrew Invitational

Allagash Confluence AleAllagash Confluence Ale

Allagash Brewing Company
Maine, United States | website

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Allagash Confluence Ale is created with a mixed fermentation; utilizing our house primary Belgian style yeast in combination with our proprietary Brettanomyces strain. The two yeast strains work in tandem creating a marriage between spice and fruit flavors that ultimately leave a lingering silky mouth feel. Confluence is brewed with a blend of both imported pilsner and domestic pale malts as well as a portion of caramel malt, resulting in a complex malty profile. Tettnang and East Kent Golding hops are added in the brew process to balance the intricate malty profile while adding a sweet and spicy citrus aroma. After fermentation, Confluence undergoes a lengthy aging process in stainless steel tanks to enhance the flavors. Prior to bottling, it is dry hopped with a Glacier hops, providing a pleasant balance of aromas.

Added by ClockworkOrange on 01-14-2009

Reviews: 249 | Ratings: 890
3.93/5  rDev -2.2%

A: Pours a hazy golden with a big foamy head. Good sustain with moderate lacing.

S: A musty brett smell with a bit of spiciness.

T: A little bit of sourness, a lot of funk. A very strong and dominant brett taste with a minty character and soft citrus notes.

M: Fairly light-bodied with champagne-like carbonation. A bit rough on the palate.

D: Pretty solid, but there's room for improvement. The brett is a bit too dominant, and the mouthfeel is a bit too carbonated, but otherwise, quite nice.

4.2/5  rDev +4.5%

Served in a tulip glass. This is a mostly clear golden orange beer with a white head of minuscule bubbles, about 2 cm in height. There is a malty, spiced aroma that is also very floral. The taste is of sweet citrus at first; it reminds me of grapefruit. As you begin experience the flavors, the floral tones come out strong and evolve into pure hops by the end, only becoming apparent just as you swallow. The tastes of this beer are very complex and quite amazing. There is a light to medium body. Overall, I'm quite impressed with this wild ale. It's not as great as Allagash's Gargamel, but it is still very impressive (much easier to obtain). I really enjoyed it and will drink it again. I recommend it to anyone who is looking for a beer to think about as you drink it.

4.4/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I've been excited about the idea of opening this one. The weather reverted back to summery saison/wild ale weather, so it seems like a perfect Friday afternoon for this.

I chose a tulip glass. The cork blasted out in a loud report, without too much coaxing. Large fizzy head with a lot of small bubbles over a bright clear white-gold body. It definitely has that "warm weather beer" look to it. A looker, no doubt.

Very typical good "funky saison" aroma of orange blossom, rosewater, underripe nectarine, hay, and wet leather. A little pungent yeast/sweaty sock aroma comes in as it warms.

One sip, and it's clear that our friend Brettanomyces has had free reign in the bottle for the past year, as this is dessicatingly dry. There's a big hit of white pepper up front, along with some real crackling, palate-scrubbing carbonation. After that, green stonefruit and some pineapple essence make cameo appearances before the surprisingly zesty hop character ushers in the inevitable dry, peppery-with-a-hint-of-wet-earth finish. Very refreshing in its dry intensity, I'm surprised there is as much hop as there is, at exactly one year old.

Upon first pour, I feel that it does come off as slightly over-carbonated. Let it breathe for a couple minutes in the glass, however, and this will not be a problem at all.

As you might imagine, it's an easy drinker for saison aficionados. Unfortunately, I am drinking this straight up - it would excel with many food pairings, I'd imagine. Mushroom risotto? Smoked salmon? Mussels? Clams? It's an overall pleasure to drink, and to review. Yes, it is a little pricey, but saison lovers should pull the trigger on this at least once.

4.2/5  rDev +4.5%

Bottle from 2009. When I popped this one it gushed out everywhere. Luckily I did have two tulips ready. The color is a light hazy orange and the head is giant and white. There is a lot of sticky lacing.

The aroma starts out with a touch of malt sweetness. There is mild tartness and a lot of yeast and hop spice in the nose.

The taste has a gentle malt sweetness but the real star here is the zesty spicy flavor. The hops are slightly grassy. The aftertaste leaves a bit of mild tartness as well. The taste is nice and complex, delivering a great balance.

The body is light to medium and the carbonation heavy. This is really drinkable.

I like this bottle more than I remember. It's very complex and drinkable. It's an excellent Belgian style golden ale or whatever you call it. I figure it would pair well with pasta too.

4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

Had on tap at Beachwood BBQ, Seal Beach.

A- clear and blonde. Small cap of foam on the mini-pilsner 5.5 oz glass it was served in.

S- slight lactic acidity in the nose, earthy

T- mildly tart with a lemony sorta undertone and all those other flavors Brett usually imparts.

M- Very light, almost watery at one point, but not necessarily bad for this beer.

D- Very good, my taster disappeared way too fast.

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

First beer I had at the Pizza Port Belgian Beer Party on March 28th.

Poured a slightly hazy apricot color with a thin head.

Fruity and tropical on the nose with notes of apricot, pineapple, funky brett, a bit spicy, crabapples, and grapes. A bit of pale malt sweetness as it warmed up.

Not what I was expecting, harsh and bitter plastic flavors, phenolic and yeasty with the first sip. The second sip was a little more enjoyable with flowers, light spices, and hints of fruit. Better along the way but not great. Semi-dry finish with medium carbonation.

Tasted like a spicy, yeasty, funky, single Belgian pale.

4.28/5  rDev +6.5%

Big thanks goes out to kmurray8621 for shipping me this way back when. Thanks a bunch Kevin!

Nearly a year on this January 2009 bottle.

Cracked this sucker open tonight, the cork shot off when I poked it, literally! Beautiful hazy orange color sits below a egg-shell white head with some of the best retention I've ever seen. The head is incredibly creamy and smooth, it looks like solid foam, like if I poked it it would bounce back. Despite this, lacing isn't the best, only appearing in areas. Lacing aside, this beer looks perfect.

The nose is lightly acidic and funky. Light barnyard funky aromas mix well with fruity yeast characters. Normally, I wouldn't be a fan of a beer with a lighter aroma such as this, but it gives off a good vibe. Like it's hiding something, like it's shy. It makes me want to drink it more.

Now I see why the nose was so "shy." Unfortunately, there isn't much going on in the taste. I got a light acidic character in the nose, and it's not coming out in the taste at all. A crisp carbonation clouds everything and makes it hard to pick up individual tastes. A light barn funkyness comes out more as it warms, but the fruitiness of the nose isn't as well defined here. Was expecting just a little more, but this still tastes great.

Light to medium bodied, with a fine, crisp carbonation. Maybe slightly over-carbonated, but I like my Wild Ales to have a fine crisp carbonation. Drinkability is great. Alcohol, while not hard to hide at this level, is well hidden.

Overall, a solid example of an American Wild. If this was cheaper, I would consider drinking this more often, but for the price and the lengths I went to get it I don't think I'll be having it anytime soon. A great beer, just not one that I would go out of my way to get again. Thanks Kevin for this great beer!

4.15/5  rDev +3.2%

Big thanks to Derek ( Ya? ) for popping this bottle at one hell of a tasting. Poured into my snifter and enjoyed.

A- Nice grapefruit juice appearance. Good finger of white bubbled head that packed together like peanuts. There was a minimal level of lacing, but that is to be expected I suppose.

S- Slight funk that reminds me of acetic acid, earthy tones of grass and milled earth, and strong honey. I mean this honey came outta left field and smacks you with it in that masochistic enjoyable way.

T- As to be expected here. That funk comes about that reminds you of licking lemons as a child. The honey is much more subdued in the flavor, very mild. Lemongrass comes out in the finish.

M- Moderate amount of body with great carbonation. This was top notch in how much it lingered and where it laid its gentle head. The flavors were where I wanted them to be and I can't ask for much more than that.

D- Easy to drink. I could probably enjoy an entire bomber for myself and not think twice. This beer is great, make sure you try this one yourself. Without a doubt, I'd do it again.

4.77/5  rDev +18.7%

A: Poured a nice slightly hazy yellow with a bountiful head.

S: Wow..citrus, green apple, bubble gum, subtle banana..couldn't wait to take a sip.

T: One of the few beers I've tried recently where the taste surpasses the nose. Green apple, pixie-stix, and honeysuckle come to the forefront. Amazing balance. Out-fruits the fruity beers.

M: Light-bodied, which hides the alcohol content nicely.

D: There were a few new beers on tap at my buddy's bar when I tried this (and I intended on trying them all during my visit) but I left a few hours later after having only four pints of this nectar. I'd drink it all day.

I've met a handful of people who are a little baffled by this beer, but I encourage you to not be afraid. It is like a painting which seems ludicrous at first, but in which you find numerous meanings and nuances with additional viewings. Fantastically original brew.

4.88/5  rDev +21.4%

This beer smells horrible in a way that some of the world's best cheeses smell horrible. In the same way that I wouldn't condemn a cheese for smelling bad, I am not going to damage my rating of this beer for having an unpleasant nose. Confluence is a work of art in a liquid format. Beautiful mix of sweet, sour and spice... I wish it was easier to find and I wish I could get some kegs to tap at my place (i'd even be happy with some bottles). Just amazing.

4.6/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Picked up a corked and caged 750 mL bottle from Total Wine. Reviewing from notes taken during the tasting on 7/22/09.

Crisp orangely color with an full inch of fluffy head that slowly settles and leaves lacing in thick coarse webs. When held up to light, the beer also exhibits a reddish hue.

Smells are complex. Wild yeasts, grassy citrus. The hops are mild and pique my interest. Also can smell some peach and apricot.

Tastes bring on more even more than the smell leads on. Strawberries, orange peel, zesty lemon hints. I also get a strong amount of wild yeasts. The beer is mildly acidic. There is the expected funk, but it mixes beautifully with the flavors. Hops contribute grassy and earthy notes. Finish is warm and spicy, almost peppery. I probably could have let this age for another 3 months, and then the yeasts woulda made this sour to perfection.

Mouthfeel is tingly and smooth, and a little dry in the finish. The complexity left me looking how to characterize the flavors. The beer was perfect for a summer evening. It is incredibly multi-faceted. Tons going on and a great drinking experience!

3.41/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

(Mini-milestone - 375 reviews to date and going strong!)

So, despite the relatively "hum drum" reviews of this beer (at the present date), I have been very excited to try another American brewers take on a sour beer. Oh, scratch that, I mean "American Wile Ale" beer.

To add to the drama - here's an interesting conundrum , if it wasn't for the steep price tag on this one ($17.99 locally in Ohio) I would have tried it sooner. See, that was my initial thought, but I regularly drop $25 - $30 per 750 of a Russian River sour and enjoy every drop. Interesting. Maybe it's Russian River's time on the market... Maybe after Allagash establishes itself more in time in the Wild arena? Who knows... To be honest I am surprised you made it this far through my review! Anyhow, onto my review.

Thanks go to newtonty for bringing this to my place tonight. (He's single and has disposable income) Taken straight out of the fridge and popped... Oh, by the way - the pop was MASSIVE! I popped it on the back deck and I am glad I did. Very aggressive "pop-age" .

Pours a light brown, almost caramel in color. Moderately cloudy with a 1 & 1/2 inch, nasty head. The kinda head that's massive, big, nasty and bubbly, as a sour should be. Reminds me of the sea foam that washes ashore, the morning after a big storm.

I get mild funk and candied sweets on the nose. There might be traces of a brown ale in there, as well, as I get a tinge of nuttiness, as well.

Ok, this one's not very sour at all, but rather mildly funky. I get the barn, some sweaty gym shoes and lots of candied sweets - all followed by mellow, sweet malts.

This is a first for me, a Belgian sweet/Wild combination. I'm not a fan of sweet beers, so...

Definitely unique, but not one I'll run out for for $18. Keep up the good work though, Allagash.

4.2/5  rDev +4.5%

A: Poured with a moderate-sized, off-white head that was thick and long-lasting. Body is a dark-yellow, golden color, and slightly hazy.

S: Interesting aroma... some fruitiness is present, complemented by the expected funkiness.

T: This is a great-tasting beer. The spiciness and fruitiness is there, again the funk comes firmly into play. Touch of bitterness in the finish that balances everything nicely.

M: Medium-bodied, medium carbonation.

D: Another great beer from Allagash... gotta love how they're always willing to go out there and push the envelope with their beers.

4.11/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Pour with a nice foam lace, color is perfect for the style, very classic appearance. The Brett funk is there but not aggressive, lemongrass, freshly cut hay & Pilsner malt aromas are present as well. The creamy mouthfeel threw me off a bit, a lot of beers in this style - especially those featuring Brett - are carbonated and tingly. There is carbonation but it gives way pretty quickly to a very smooth, velvety feel. The pilsner malt is very present in thr body, and the Brett is fairly low-key. Just enough to give it a little of that farmhouse punch, but it doesn't steal the show. The pilsner imparts that classic cracker /soaked grain flavor, with mixes well enough with the Brett yeast, but I'm not sure they compliment each other very well. Maybe I'm too used to the various Brett Saisons out there & was expecting something a little crisper & lighter. Still a very good beer, as is par with Allagash, but they make better beers utilizing their brand yeast.

4.53/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750 mL bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Strong pressure upon opening. It pours a cloudy orange color with two and a half fingers of egg shell-white head that holds like latte foam and laces like it as well.

S: Citrus, mild sour funk, some floral hoppiness, and perhaps some green apples.

T: It's a beautiful blend of mild funk, orange, lemon curd, light hoppiness, and pepper.

M: It has average thickness with strong carbonation.

O: This is wonderful; it shares many similarities with Orval.

3.65/5  rDev -9.2%

Jan 2009 bottle. Thanks Dave!

Wow, does this sucker pop. It's been sitting in the cellar for a couple of months, but I didn't even manage to get the cage all the way off before the cork blew. Shot right across the room.

Anyways, Confluence pours a clear, golden yellow with a big foamy white head that leaves patchy lacing.

The aroma is filled with light citrus and a bit of barnyard funk. A little grassy, mixed with hay. Sweet golden malts. Orange, lemons, crisp.

Sweet malts and a touch of orange citrus meet the tongue. Picking up a bit of funky alcohol, bready malts and a hint of grapefruit. A little grassy and somewhat bitter at times. Mostly dry on the finish. Flavor leaves you wanting a bit, but not bad.

Mouthfeel is flooded with sharp, tiny carbonation. The body is a bit foamy, but fairly light.

Drinkability is pretty good. I'm enjoying the glass I have and the beer goes down pretty easy. Nothing is offensive, but the taste is a little one-dimensional.

Overall, this is a decent American wild, but with the other stuff that Russian River and Lost Abbey are cranking out, I'd probably pass on this one. However, I did get a taste of Allagash's Coolship with Cherries at NotB and that was very well done. So I know they can make good wilds.

3.87/5  rDev -3.7%

Pours a deep yellow/light amber in color. Huge pop on the cork, bursting with carbonation. The gentlest pour gave the biggest head. Smells musty, and a dry-hopped aroma. I've not smelt a wild ale that smelled so hopped. Very dry, and the hops stood out at first, but over time, the other flavors came to the forefront. Dry ephervescence prevails, some citrus, apricot, light fruit. Fairly sticky on the tongue, but even for a wild, not the easiest drink. A very slow sipper, decent, but for the cost, there are better available.

4.13/5  rDev +2.7%

A - Poured with a generous frothy, bright white head with good retention with OK lacing. Hazy yellow orange color - very rich hue (some noticeable sediment at the bottom of glass).

S - Light bit of funk; a touch yeasty; and a bit acidic

T - Slight funky edge; acidic; hint of vinegar; but all very very tame. Nice enough though.

M - Lighter MF; tight bubbly carbonation; smooth over the palate with an almost chalky finish

D - Hugely drinkable and I find this is really refreshing. Just enough funk and tartness.

Overall, not that 'wild' but certainly pretty good. Interesting enough, but I found it accessible, tasty, and refreshing more than anything else. I would recommend this highly, but I'm not quite sure that it's worth the price point....I hate to be like that, but....

4.15/5  rDev +3.2%

2014 bottle. Hazy, light-amber appearance. Plenty of foam but it's not out of control. Good head retention and lacing characteristics. Aroma is excellent -- Brett really worked some magic. Very ripe stone fruit upfront, like apricot. Very floral hop aroma, the dry hopping showing through. Funk is restrained -- a bit of leather and old, musty paper.

Mostly dry flavor profile with fruit characteristics. Some honeyed sweetness mid-palate that fades toward the finish. Ripe white grape, peach, and/or apricot. A bit bland and musty on the finish. Very fine, frothy carbonation that's quite soft.

A very interesting Belgian ale, similar to Matilda from Goose Island. Can't really recommend over the latter due to the price premium, but it's got a killer aroma and great flavor.

3.71/5  rDev -7.7%

Thanks Seth for giving me the opportunity to try this one. Poured into a tulip glass.

A- Pours a hazy golden orange. Produced a healthy three fingers width of white, fluffy head. Lots of lacing as the beer was consumed. Truly a thing of beauty.

S- Getting a little bit of barnyard funk from the brett. Also noticeable is a bit or orange and lemon zest, along with earthy/grassy hops. A hint of sourness lingers.

T- Any notes of funk or sourness in the aroma were absent here...a big disappointment. The brett presence was there, but was pretty weak and truly lacked a lot of the typical barnyard qualities. Really neutral, you get a little bit of mustiness on the palate. Also a big earthy flavor from the hops in the finish.

M- Extremely dry. Light to medium bodied. Overcarbonated.

D- The neutrality of the flavors coupled with the moutfeel made this somewhat difficult to drink.

Overall, this tasted more like a saison than a wild ale to me. Even compared to most saisons, this falls short on many levels. Not really impressed with this offering from Allagash.

4.45/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 750ml bottle to a St Bernardus Chalice.

A - Light, hazy, amber color.

S - Tart apple, orange , citrus.

T- Apple, almost pear like?

M - Honey, tart gives a good sour bite back.

D - Great Sipper, good to pair with a great meal.

Complex, you will want to seek this one out and try.

4.05/5  rDev +0.7%

Allagash Confluence, on-draft at South Philly Taproom 5/20/11.

I have not had this beer before and didn't really know what to expect, especially from the draft version of this beer. I think that properly poured from a bottle this beer might have scored higher. The beer was clear, (yellowish amber? too dark to tell in the bar), with almost no head on the beer. It was about a 7.5 oz pour into a wine glass that held 8 oz, so there was almost no head other than the thinnest film of tiny lace. Because the glass had no bowl above it, there wasn't really any way to hold the aroma and as such very little was appreciated in the nose. I wish that when I pay $8 for a beer, the proper glassware was used to best enjoy the beer.

The beer was delicious though. The brett showed great pineapple, tropical fruit flavors and a little funk but limited amounts of phenols, which can sometimes be off-putting. The hopping was perfect to provide some grounding and balance to the beer. The carbonation was a little low but pleasant with the fruity, brett-ed beer. Tasty, but better presentation might help this beer score better.

4.35/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: A hazy yellow color, with a slight transparency but barely there, a nice frothy white head at the top that leaves a little bit of lacing around the glass.

S: Spice and citrus are very present up front, a little hint of brown sugar and bready nose as well.

T: A good tasting beer, hit with the bread and yeast right away, that washes away with a sweetness and bitterness from the fresh hops.

M: Light bodied, good amount of carbonation, dry finish.

O: Overall a good well balanced beer from Allagash, very relaxing brew, subtle with good flavors and a dry unique finish.

4.1/5  rDev +2%

Reviewed blind. Thanks Prufrock this was another huge want.

Feb. 2010 vintage.

This beer pours a glowing golden yellow. There are lots of bubbles rising to two fingers of foamy white head. The head falls slowly to an 1/8" cap that leaves minimal spots, and patches of lacing.

I smell pears, limes, and over ripe fruits. There is a nice balance between sweet and tart leaning towards the tart. There are some mild funky notes as well. My only complaint is the scent is pretty tame; Id sure like a little more oomph.

The flavors follow the aromas. Sweet and tart fruits, honey, melon, and lime. The flavors are very well balanced but just like the nose lack a little oomph.

Light and dry, it pricks at my tongue.

This is a very well balanced beer, maybe too balanced? Its easy to drink no doubt and far from boring; it just lacks a k.o. punch!

4.34/5  rDev +8%

A- Hazy golden orange body with a small white head and constant streams of bubbles.

A- Amazing aroma, very fruity and a wonderful sour funk to it all.

T- Sweet light fruit malt. A light sour hit follows and some spicy alcohol flavor. Finishes leaving a toasty fruity aftertaste.

M- Medium-light body. Moderate carbonation. Very smooth.

D- Pretty great wild beer. I'd think even non sour beer fans would enjoy this. The smell was amazing, that said the flavor is a bit light. Worth checking out at least once though.

Allagash Confluence Ale from Allagash Brewing Company