Allagash Confluence Ale - Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 01-14-2009

Allagash Confluence Ale is created with a mixed fermentation; utilizing our house primary Belgian style yeast in combination with our proprietary Brettanomyces strain. The two yeast strains work in tandem creating a marriage between spice and fruit flavors that ultimately leave a lingering silky mouth feel. Confluence is brewed with a blend of both imported pilsner and domestic pale malts as well as a portion of caramel malt, resulting in a complex malty profile. Tettnang and East Kent Golding hops are added in the brew process to balance the intricate malty profile while adding a sweet and spicy citrus aroma. After fermentation, Confluence undergoes a lengthy aging process in stainless steel tanks to enhance the flavors. Prior to bottling, it is dry hopped with a Glacier hops, providing a pleasant balance of aromas.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Allagash Confluence Ale Alström Bros
3.86/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Great silly mouthfeel on this beer. However, the taste with its bold yeast strains is just a little too funky for me. It does start to mellow as it warms, but it's still a little wild for my liking. Which is a bit of a shame since I really like Allagash a lot. I may try this again since it did seem to almost grow on me as time went on. Still an excellent brewery that I want to continue exploring new beers with.

3.5/5  rDev -13.2%

First beer I had at the Pizza Port Belgian Beer Party on March 28th.

Poured a slightly hazy apricot color with a thin head.

Fruity and tropical on the nose with notes of apricot, pineapple, funky brett, a bit spicy, crabapples, and grapes. A bit of pale malt sweetness as it warmed up.

Not what I was expecting, harsh and bitter plastic flavors, phenolic and yeasty with the first sip. The second sip was a little more enjoyable with flowers, light spices, and hints of fruit. Better along the way but not great. Semi-dry finish with medium carbonation.

Tasted like a spicy, yeasty, funky, single Belgian pale.

4.28/5  rDev +6.2%

Big thanks goes out to kmurray8621 for shipping me this way back when. Thanks a bunch Kevin!

Nearly a year on this January 2009 bottle.

Cracked this sucker open tonight, the cork shot off when I poked it, literally! Beautiful hazy orange color sits below a egg-shell white head with some of the best retention I've ever seen. The head is incredibly creamy and smooth, it looks like solid foam, like if I poked it it would bounce back. Despite this, lacing isn't the best, only appearing in areas. Lacing aside, this beer looks perfect.

The nose is lightly acidic and funky. Light barnyard funky aromas mix well with fruity yeast characters. Normally, I wouldn't be a fan of a beer with a lighter aroma such as this, but it gives off a good vibe. Like it's hiding something, like it's shy. It makes me want to drink it more.

Now I see why the nose was so "shy." Unfortunately, there isn't much going on in the taste. I got a light acidic character in the nose, and it's not coming out in the taste at all. A crisp carbonation clouds everything and makes it hard to pick up individual tastes. A light barn funkyness comes out more as it warms, but the fruitiness of the nose isn't as well defined here. Was expecting just a little more, but this still tastes great.

Light to medium bodied, with a fine, crisp carbonation. Maybe slightly over-carbonated, but I like my Wild Ales to have a fine crisp carbonation. Drinkability is great. Alcohol, while not hard to hide at this level, is well hidden.

Overall, a solid example of an American Wild. If this was cheaper, I would consider drinking this more often, but for the price and the lengths I went to get it I don't think I'll be having it anytime soon. A great beer, just not one that I would go out of my way to get again. Thanks Kevin for this great beer!

4.15/5  rDev +3%

Big thanks to Derek ( Ya? ) for popping this bottle at one hell of a tasting. Poured into my snifter and enjoyed.

A- Nice grapefruit juice appearance. Good finger of white bubbled head that packed together like peanuts. There was a minimal level of lacing, but that is to be expected I suppose.

S- Slight funk that reminds me of acetic acid, earthy tones of grass and milled earth, and strong honey. I mean this honey came outta left field and smacks you with it in that masochistic enjoyable way.

T- As to be expected here. That funk comes about that reminds you of licking lemons as a child. The honey is much more subdued in the flavor, very mild. Lemongrass comes out in the finish.

M- Moderate amount of body with great carbonation. This was top notch in how much it lingered and where it laid its gentle head. The flavors were where I wanted them to be and I can't ask for much more than that.

D- Easy to drink. I could probably enjoy an entire bomber for myself and not think twice. This beer is great, make sure you try this one yourself. Without a doubt, I'd do it again.

4.77/5  rDev +18.4%

A: Poured a nice slightly hazy yellow with a bountiful head.

S: Wow..citrus, green apple, bubble gum, subtle banana..couldn't wait to take a sip.

T: One of the few beers I've tried recently where the taste surpasses the nose. Green apple, pixie-stix, and honeysuckle come to the forefront. Amazing balance. Out-fruits the fruity beers.

M: Light-bodied, which hides the alcohol content nicely.

D: There were a few new beers on tap at my buddy's bar when I tried this (and I intended on trying them all during my visit) but I left a few hours later after having only four pints of this nectar. I'd drink it all day.

I've met a handful of people who are a little baffled by this beer, but I encourage you to not be afraid. It is like a painting which seems ludicrous at first, but in which you find numerous meanings and nuances with additional viewings. Fantastically original brew.

4.88/5  rDev +21.1%

This beer smells horrible in a way that some of the world's best cheeses smell horrible. In the same way that I wouldn't condemn a cheese for smelling bad, I am not going to damage my rating of this beer for having an unpleasant nose. Confluence is a work of art in a liquid format. Beautiful mix of sweet, sour and spice... I wish it was easier to find and I wish I could get some kegs to tap at my place (i'd even be happy with some bottles). Just amazing.

4.6/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Picked up a corked and caged 750 mL bottle from Total Wine. Reviewing from notes taken during the tasting on 7/22/09.

Crisp orangely color with an full inch of fluffy head that slowly settles and leaves lacing in thick coarse webs. When held up to light, the beer also exhibits a reddish hue.

Smells are complex. Wild yeasts, grassy citrus. The hops are mild and pique my interest. Also can smell some peach and apricot.

Tastes bring on more even more than the smell leads on. Strawberries, orange peel, zesty lemon hints. I also get a strong amount of wild yeasts. The beer is mildly acidic. There is the expected funk, but it mixes beautifully with the flavors. Hops contribute grassy and earthy notes. Finish is warm and spicy, almost peppery. I probably could have let this age for another 3 months, and then the yeasts woulda made this sour to perfection.

Mouthfeel is tingly and smooth, and a little dry in the finish. The complexity left me looking how to characterize the flavors. The beer was perfect for a summer evening. It is incredibly multi-faceted. Tons going on and a great drinking experience!

3.41/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

(Mini-milestone - 375 reviews to date and going strong!)

So, despite the relatively "hum drum" reviews of this beer (at the present date), I have been very excited to try another American brewers take on a sour beer. Oh, scratch that, I mean "American Wile Ale" beer.

To add to the drama - here's an interesting conundrum , if it wasn't for the steep price tag on this one ($17.99 locally in Ohio) I would have tried it sooner. See, that was my initial thought, but I regularly drop $25 - $30 per 750 of a Russian River sour and enjoy every drop. Interesting. Maybe it's Russian River's time on the market... Maybe after Allagash establishes itself more in time in the Wild arena? Who knows... To be honest I am surprised you made it this far through my review! Anyhow, onto my review.

Thanks go to newtonty for bringing this to my place tonight. (He's single and has disposable income) Taken straight out of the fridge and popped... Oh, by the way - the pop was MASSIVE! I popped it on the back deck and I am glad I did. Very aggressive "pop-age" .

Pours a light brown, almost caramel in color. Moderately cloudy with a 1 & 1/2 inch, nasty head. The kinda head that's massive, big, nasty and bubbly, as a sour should be. Reminds me of the sea foam that washes ashore, the morning after a big storm.

I get mild funk and candied sweets on the nose. There might be traces of a brown ale in there, as well, as I get a tinge of nuttiness, as well.

Ok, this one's not very sour at all, but rather mildly funky. I get the barn, some sweaty gym shoes and lots of candied sweets - all followed by mellow, sweet malts.

This is a first for me, a Belgian sweet/Wild combination. I'm not a fan of sweet beers, so...

Definitely unique, but not one I'll run out for for $18. Keep up the good work though, Allagash.

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

A: Poured with a moderate-sized, off-white head that was thick and long-lasting. Body is a dark-yellow, golden color, and slightly hazy.

S: Interesting aroma... some fruitiness is present, complemented by the expected funkiness.

T: This is a great-tasting beer. The spiciness and fruitiness is there, again the funk comes firmly into play. Touch of bitterness in the finish that balances everything nicely.

M: Medium-bodied, medium carbonation.

D: Another great beer from Allagash... gotta love how they're always willing to go out there and push the envelope with their beers.

4.53/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750 mL bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Strong pressure upon opening. It pours a cloudy orange color with two and a half fingers of egg shell-white head that holds like latte foam and laces like it as well.

S: Citrus, mild sour funk, some floral hoppiness, and perhaps some green apples.

T: It's a beautiful blend of mild funk, orange, lemon curd, light hoppiness, and pepper.

M: It has average thickness with strong carbonation.

O: This is wonderful; it shares many similarities with Orval.

3.65/5  rDev -9.4%

Jan 2009 bottle. Thanks Dave!

Wow, does this sucker pop. It's been sitting in the cellar for a couple of months, but I didn't even manage to get the cage all the way off before the cork blew. Shot right across the room.

Anyways, Confluence pours a clear, golden yellow with a big foamy white head that leaves patchy lacing.

The aroma is filled with light citrus and a bit of barnyard funk. A little grassy, mixed with hay. Sweet golden malts. Orange, lemons, crisp.

Sweet malts and a touch of orange citrus meet the tongue. Picking up a bit of funky alcohol, bready malts and a hint of grapefruit. A little grassy and somewhat bitter at times. Mostly dry on the finish. Flavor leaves you wanting a bit, but not bad.

Mouthfeel is flooded with sharp, tiny carbonation. The body is a bit foamy, but fairly light.

Drinkability is pretty good. I'm enjoying the glass I have and the beer goes down pretty easy. Nothing is offensive, but the taste is a little one-dimensional.

Overall, this is a decent American wild, but with the other stuff that Russian River and Lost Abbey are cranking out, I'd probably pass on this one. However, I did get a taste of Allagash's Coolship with Cherries at NotB and that was very well done. So I know they can make good wilds.

3.87/5  rDev -4%

Pours a deep yellow/light amber in color. Huge pop on the cork, bursting with carbonation. The gentlest pour gave the biggest head. Smells musty, and a dry-hopped aroma. I've not smelt a wild ale that smelled so hopped. Very dry, and the hops stood out at first, but over time, the other flavors came to the forefront. Dry ephervescence prevails, some citrus, apricot, light fruit. Fairly sticky on the tongue, but even for a wild, not the easiest drink. A very slow sipper, decent, but for the cost, there are better available.

4.13/5  rDev +2.5%

A - Poured with a generous frothy, bright white head with good retention with OK lacing. Hazy yellow orange color - very rich hue (some noticeable sediment at the bottom of glass).

S - Light bit of funk; a touch yeasty; and a bit acidic

T - Slight funky edge; acidic; hint of vinegar; but all very very tame. Nice enough though.

M - Lighter MF; tight bubbly carbonation; smooth over the palate with an almost chalky finish

D - Hugely drinkable and I find this is really refreshing. Just enough funk and tartness.

Overall, not that 'wild' but certainly pretty good. Interesting enough, but I found it accessible, tasty, and refreshing more than anything else. I would recommend this highly, but I'm not quite sure that it's worth the price point....I hate to be like that, but....

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Saison funk and spice with assertive hoppiness. There is a certainly malt profile that mixes with the spicenessm, immediately followed by pleasant hops. Worthy of the cost.

4.17/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This bottle was from June of 2015 bottling. It pour a pale golden color with a slightly hoppy aroma. There was a large airy white head in my tulip glass. A nice sharp crisp taste with a great mouth feel. I really enjoy all aspects of this great beer and hope to get another couple of bottles to see how it cellars.

3.71/5  rDev -7.9%

Thanks Seth for giving me the opportunity to try this one. Poured into a tulip glass.

A- Pours a hazy golden orange. Produced a healthy three fingers width of white, fluffy head. Lots of lacing as the beer was consumed. Truly a thing of beauty.

S- Getting a little bit of barnyard funk from the brett. Also noticeable is a bit or orange and lemon zest, along with earthy/grassy hops. A hint of sourness lingers.

T- Any notes of funk or sourness in the aroma were absent here...a big disappointment. The brett presence was there, but was pretty weak and truly lacked a lot of the typical barnyard qualities. Really neutral, you get a little bit of mustiness on the palate. Also a big earthy flavor from the hops in the finish.

M- Extremely dry. Light to medium bodied. Overcarbonated.

D- The neutrality of the flavors coupled with the moutfeel made this somewhat difficult to drink.

Overall, this tasted more like a saison than a wild ale to me. Even compared to most saisons, this falls short on many levels. Not really impressed with this offering from Allagash.

4.45/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 750ml bottle to a St Bernardus Chalice.

A - Light, hazy, amber color.

S - Tart apple, orange , citrus.

T- Apple, almost pear like?

M - Honey, tart gives a good sour bite back.

D - Great Sipper, good to pair with a great meal.

Complex, you will want to seek this one out and try.

4.05/5  rDev +0.5%

Allagash Confluence, on-draft at South Philly Taproom 5/20/11.

I have not had this beer before and didn't really know what to expect, especially from the draft version of this beer. I think that properly poured from a bottle this beer might have scored higher. The beer was clear, (yellowish amber? too dark to tell in the bar), with almost no head on the beer. It was about a 7.5 oz pour into a wine glass that held 8 oz, so there was almost no head other than the thinnest film of tiny lace. Because the glass had no bowl above it, there wasn't really any way to hold the aroma and as such very little was appreciated in the nose. I wish that when I pay $8 for a beer, the proper glassware was used to best enjoy the beer.

The beer was delicious though. The brett showed great pineapple, tropical fruit flavors and a little funk but limited amounts of phenols, which can sometimes be off-putting. The hopping was perfect to provide some grounding and balance to the beer. The carbonation was a little low but pleasant with the fruity, brett-ed beer. Tasty, but better presentation might help this beer score better.

4.15/5  rDev +3%

2014 bottle. Hazy, light-amber appearance. Plenty of foam but it's not out of control. Good head retention and lacing characteristics. Aroma is excellent -- Brett really worked some magic. Very ripe stone fruit upfront, like apricot. Very floral hop aroma, the dry hopping showing through. Funk is restrained -- a bit of leather and old, musty paper.

Mostly dry flavor profile with fruit characteristics. Some honeyed sweetness mid-palate that fades toward the finish. Ripe white grape, peach, and/or apricot. A bit bland and musty on the finish. Very fine, frothy carbonation that's quite soft.

A very interesting Belgian ale, similar to Matilda from Goose Island. Can't really recommend over the latter due to the price premium, but it's got a killer aroma and great flavor.

4.35/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: A hazy yellow color, with a slight transparency but barely there, a nice frothy white head at the top that leaves a little bit of lacing around the glass.

S: Spice and citrus are very present up front, a little hint of brown sugar and bready nose as well.

T: A good tasting beer, hit with the bread and yeast right away, that washes away with a sweetness and bitterness from the fresh hops.

M: Light bodied, good amount of carbonation, dry finish.

O: Overall a good well balanced beer from Allagash, very relaxing brew, subtle with good flavors and a dry unique finish.

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

Reviewed blind. Thanks Prufrock this was another huge want.

Feb. 2010 vintage.

This beer pours a glowing golden yellow. There are lots of bubbles rising to two fingers of foamy white head. The head falls slowly to an 1/8" cap that leaves minimal spots, and patches of lacing.

I smell pears, limes, and over ripe fruits. There is a nice balance between sweet and tart leaning towards the tart. There are some mild funky notes as well. My only complaint is the scent is pretty tame; Id sure like a little more oomph.

The flavors follow the aromas. Sweet and tart fruits, honey, melon, and lime. The flavors are very well balanced but just like the nose lack a little oomph.

Light and dry, it pricks at my tongue.

This is a very well balanced beer, maybe too balanced? Its easy to drink no doubt and far from boring; it just lacks a k.o. punch!

4.34/5  rDev +7.7%

A- Hazy golden orange body with a small white head and constant streams of bubbles.

A- Amazing aroma, very fruity and a wonderful sour funk to it all.

T- Sweet light fruit malt. A light sour hit follows and some spicy alcohol flavor. Finishes leaving a toasty fruity aftertaste.

M- Medium-light body. Moderate carbonation. Very smooth.

D- Pretty great wild beer. I'd think even non sour beer fans would enjoy this. The smell was amazing, that said the flavor is a bit light. Worth checking out at least once though.

4.21/5  rDev +4.5%

Poured from a 750ml corked and caged, into my Allagash snifter/challice. Pours a clear and bright golden color. The color overall is pretty light, similar to a Bud Light honestly(lol). The beer continues to fizz for nearly the entire drink. The head is pretty large, about 2 to 3 fingers; frothy, creamy, white...leaves very patchy and sticky lacing all around the glass.

Aroma is outstanding. Very floral, like a pleasant spring day. Lots of Belgian yeast, malts, a little citrus, a little spice, small amount of hops. Very complex aroma, especially with the late dry-hop process.

Hmmm...I wonder. This tastes a little young. Even though this beer is pre-aged before bottled and release, it could use some time for sure. It has the familiar Belgian yeast flavors a lot of Allagash's beers use. There's a watery blandness though that I just can't shake. Even though there's quite a bit going on, the Brett needs some time to mature and tarten up to compliment the sweet notes. A mild hop backbone pokes through. Resembles a pilsner with a small amount of brett...with a Belgian yeast. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy! There is no issues with drinkability on this beer, thats for sure! Overall, it needs a little age...a little dissapointed, but not a bad beer by a long shot! A very solid beer for the Allagash lineup.

3.27/5  rDev -18.9%

Imbibed at Good Karma on 9/4/12.

Pours a pale yellow orange, clear. Delicate head that laces well. Lemon hits the nose first, then a slightly sour note. Sour, not funky. Malt is all but undetectable, but I'd guess Belgian or German Pils due to its barely there aroma. I can't tell if I'm just not getting any hops or if it's the lemon I'm getting. Some very slight berry aroma as well. Light malt and lemon hints start the taste off. Definite Brett funkiness comes out in the flavor. Then it goes bitter, but it's fairly mild. Grassy and herbal. MF is more viscous than what I would have expected from the nose, but it makes sense when you see the ABV. I suspect some sugar was used in the boil, as this is a dry finishing beer.

Respectable sour, somewhat complex, but it needs something to give the malt some character. It's fleeting as it is. A fruity tone or malt flavor would make this more than a stage for something else.

3.34/5  rDev -17.1%

2011 version. 750 ml into a pint glass

A - a light golden color thats almost grayed in a way (if you can imagine that). ridiculous amounts of carbonation visible with about five fingers of fluffy white head from a very slow pour. good retention and very good lacing. mixed bag here everything was either above average appearance wise or below average appearance wise.

S - cherries, sour apple, oak, peach, yeast, candy sugar and a bit of saltiness in there as well.

T - funk, earthiness, cherry, oak, mild grass hop bite. its good its just too subdued.

M - lots of carbonation (doesn't feel as carbonated as the appearance would indicate). light bodied to the point of feeling watery. some tartness felt on the side of the mouth. chalky feeling towards the end and after.

O - its an alright wild ale. bit more of an in your face taste and cooling down the carbonation a tad and this would be a superb beer.

Allagash Confluence Ale from Allagash Brewing Company