Allagash Burnham Road - Allagash Brewing Company

good

Allagash Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Smoked Beer |  8.00% ABV

Brewer Jason Winchester's version of a smoked beer. Used Briess Applewood smoked malt.

(Beer added by: deltatauhobbit on 05-09-2009)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by MaineBirdMan:
3.98/5  rDev +11.5%

Had this beer on tap at "The Lion's Pride" in Brunswick, ME.

Was poured into a brandy snifter. Huge head of foam. Could have been the person who poured the beer.

I couldn't get much of a nose until the head came down (which was only after a few swallows. Once the foam was gone I got a real good nose full of smoke.

appearance: clear burnt caramel.

taste: good amount of alcohol up front. Mixed well with the smoke. Very smooth finish.

mouthfeel: just enough carbonation. Not very bitter but there were some nice hops present at the finish.

Drinkability: Because I love anything smoked I would say this is a very easy beer to drink. But overall I think it may turn some people off if they don't care smokey flavors. The ABV is up there so it does pack a little punch.

On tap at The Lion's Pride. Served in a tulip, the beer was a dark amber color with a medium-sized tan head. Strong smoke aroma, pleasant, with some caramel. Smoky taste up front, caramel, and some sweet brown sugar. A well-balanced beer, enjoyable.

3.95/5  rDev +10.6%

On-tap at the Brick Store.

Pours a slightly hazy golden color with a rocky two-finger slightly off-white head. The head recedes slowly into a thin layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of smoked malts first and foremost but it doesn't have the bacon-esque undertones I've come to expect in smoked beers, rather it has sweet and light fruits lurking in the background with hints of light caramel malts.

Tastes similar to how it smells. The smoked malt flavors are even more intense than they smell intimated however the same light fruit lurks in the background. Pears with very light hints of green apples fight to make their way out but are never really successful. The ending is mildly sweet and leaves a good bit of smokiness lingering on the palate.

Mouthfeel is alright. It's got a nice thickness however the carbonation is a bit on the heavy side.

Drinkability is good. I didn't have a problem finishing my glass and could have another.

Overall this was one of the more interesting smoked beers I've had. A very interesting offering from Allagash, worth a shot.

4.25/5  rDev +19%

a: hazy medium amber in color with a full coating of carbonation occupying the surface

t: red wheat malt backbone supports pale barley that gives just a touch of bready sugars, the base upon which the hardwood smoked malt is applied, love the smoke aroma - rises to the front but allows room for the other malts to come out in full, becoming more reminiscent of smoked meats only as it warms, dry yeast pulls everything together in a decidedly belgian packaging

m: carbonation on the full side of medium, delicate and only a touch abrasive, with a lighter body, very much dry

t: more dry red wheat supplies a clean, toasted bread background for the smoked malts, pale malt ties things together with mild sugars, very light funky note in the finish, hardwood smoke runs throughout, perfect balance all over, I don't get the tobacco or charred meats that others identify - but a more pure hardwood smoke flavor, dry belgian yeasts wield a moderate influence but are quite important in the grand scheme

d: one of the most drinkable of the style I've come across, thanks in part to the inherent drinkability of a clean-finishing belgian

thistle glass at Bierria Paradiso, DC

3.83/5  rDev +7.3%

Allagash Burhnam Road Belgian-Style Smoked Ale

This apparently rare brew came to Beer Run, C'ville after the owner spoke to the brewmaster.

A: Rich copper, quite 'full' in appearance, as in it's not crystal clear. White head, leaving a modest, ghosting sheet behind.

S + T: Modest smoked malts, paired with fruit esters of the yeast strain. There seems to be a possible wheat quality to it... Rather delicate, which I can appreciate in a smoked beer, where the flavour can be very intense.

M + D: Softer in body, with a smooth feel to bit. Moderate carbonation. Not a bad brew at all. They handled the brewing well, keeping it modest and that is worth noting.

3.55/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer is clear, dark golden yellow in color and poured with a thin beige head that faded away and left a thin ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass.
S: There are moderate aromas of smoke in the nose.
T: The taste dominated by smoke, but the smoky flavors are not overpowering and are balanced by the underlying malts.
M: It feels medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
D: The beer is relatively easy to drink because the alcohol is well hidden and the smoky flavors don't overpower your taste buds.

3.3/5  rDev -7.6%

Holy smokes! This is my first time with a smoked beer style and I have to say I feel like I just smoked a cigar after drinking this. Decided I needed to try this and got it on-tap over at the GLB, interesting to say the least.

According to what I've read we can thank brewer Jason Winchester who homesmoked the malt over apple wood embers. They only plan on this being a draft only beer available in the New England area.

Pours an amber color with a good amount of head, little bit of lacing, not hazy at all compared to some of the other Allagash brews though.

Smell has a strong smoked aroma with a hint of apples and caramel, but the smoked aroma is rather strong and overpowering.

Yikes, after the first sip I feel that smokiness in my mouth, quite similar to taking a puff off a tobacco pipe or a cigar, lingers for a little bit and goes away much quicker though. The strength is only evident after you finish it.

If it was possible, I think I'd rather have a glass of this after sex than a cigarette (that was if I smoked cigarettes in the first place). As it is, I guess I'll just have to behave myself at the Great Lost Bear. Although I'll admit this isn't my style of beer, I can appreciate it for what it is.

3.15/5  rDev -11.8%

On tap at Small Bar on Division. Pours dark amber with a smallish white head. Smells like a peated scotch. Slightly hoppy but the peat dominates. The first taste is very nice, but even a small snifter is difficult to finish. Overall, this is interesting but not great.

3.75/5  rDev +5%

Old notes: On tap at The Great Lost Bear. Helped me run a 3:10 Maine Marathon and qualify for Boston the next day.

Served in a bulbous snifter that reflected TGLBs xmas lights. Caramel color with a decent head. Sifting retention and lace.

Smokey with some fruit-infused caramel sweetness trapped underneath. Taste is again a mix of sugary caramel/fruit malt bobbing in and out of a smokey haze. Well balanced as far as smoked beers go, one doesn't see too many smoked beers with Belgian yeasts.

Huge fan of this beer.

3.58/5  rDev +0.3%

So this one is really, really weird. When we ordered it our waitress brought us tasters first, just to be sure (which was actually very nice). Either way, it's not your standard beer flavor in any way. Tons of smoky bacon flavors sit on the edge of too much, but somehow work. It's so weird it's something I definitely wouldn't drink often (no way could I get through a sixer), but a bit every once in a while will work.

The Reef/$8/12 oz

1.73/5  rDev -51.5%

On tap at the Great Lost Bear in Portland, ME.

Pours a dark amber with a two-finger light tan head that stays around for a while before slowly receding leaving a few whisps of lace.

Smell is rather muted, but all I can pick up is smoke and band-aids. As it warmed, it smelled more like burnt hair. Not very inviting.

This one was difficult to finish. Smoky band-aids and not much else for flavor.

Medium-bodied, moderately carbonated mouthfeel.

Well, I was able to finish the glass, but I know to stay away from this one in the future. My first real disappointment from the folks at Allagash.

4.2/5  rDev +17.6%

A: medium brown (where are the rest of my notes?)

S: nicely smoky, like wood chips

T: lot of malt in the middle, with the smoke being more apparent in the finish

M: a little fizzier than I expected for something smoky

D: I'd definitely like to have more of this, because it's something unique and typically unavailable

This was the first time I'd heard of this beer, so everything about it was a pleasant surprise.

4.25/5  rDev +19%

3.63/5  rDev +1.7%

On tap at the Great Lost Bear.

The beer pours an amber brown color with good head retention and lacing. On the nose, the smoke element to this beer is intense. There is also some sweet, peaty malt, but the smoke really dominates this beer. Flavors on the palate replicate the nose, except the smokey quality really dominates this beer. There is still some nice sweet malt, but overall, the smoke just pushes everything else aside. The beer is fairly long and smooth, and alcohol is unobtrusive. However, the smokiness ultimately overwhelmed me, and I couldn't finish the beer.

An interesting effort from Allagash, but just not my cup of tea. The smokiness in the end was just too much for me.

3.88/5  rDev +8.7%

i'll preface the review by pointing out that most--if not all of my smoked beer experiences--have been of the bamburgian mold: bacon in a glass...

the color was a brownish with amber highlights. ok lacing

big smoky aroma: sulfury, woodsy (unrefined) but charming nonetheless

there was no bacon in this glass but there might have been a campfire. such was the nature of the smoke. what i found beyond the smoke was a touch surprising: is that citrus? brown sugar sweetness and good bitterness, too

the smoke provided a touch of astringency but that's part of the adventure, right?

4.1/5  rDev +14.8%

On tap at Brouwers, served in a nice Allagash glass.

Pours a lightly hazed copper red, thick off white head forms, tons of lace sticks to the glass, big chunks, settles down to a decent layer. Smell is a bit weird but good, smoky, some caramel, floral, lightly funky, wood, ash, biscuit and toast, touch of iron and some dark malts, beef jerky, dark fruit, pretty cool. Taste is nice too, big smoke character up front, but sweet too like a good BBQ sauce, some caramel/brown sugar, ash, biscuit, like floral and fruit, iron, wood, nice smoky and dry beef jerky finish. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with medium carbonation, smooth for the ABV. Wouldn't really call this drinkable because I'm not a huge smoked beer fan, but I did end up enjoying this once I wrapped my head around it. Didn't really get the bandaid phenolics others have talked about, but there was something a little weird going on. Still, I enjoyed this one!

4.5/5  rDev +26.1%

3.43/5  rDev -3.9%

On-tap at the Brick Store Pub. Pours a beautiful dark amber with a perfect head- 5 inches to start, tightly knit and not too foamy, and with nice lacing. Smells fruity, slightly funky, a bit smokey, and slightly medicinal. I'm not a huge fan of those medicinal notes in a beer, even in smoked beers, but this is subtle enough in the nose to not be out of place. Unfortunately, it picks up a bit in the taste, and lends a band-aid note. There is also a firepit smokiness than redeems things a bit. Very dry smoke notes- not bacony at all. The band-aid reemerges on the finish. Somewhat sharp on the finish. This beer should be right up my alley, but the phenolic notes somewhat spoil a good party.

4.83/5  rDev +35.3%

I had this at an Allagash tasting on 7/23/2009. It was a rooftop bar - hard to get anything off the nose when the wind was whipping the aroma of the beer across the isle of manhattan!

What Allagash had to say:
A Belgian-style smoked ale made with 17% cherry-smoked malts and fermented with our house Belgian yeast strain. Dark amber in color with strong hints of smokey malt and bacon. 7.7%abv

What I had to say:
Umami!
Smoked meat - like drinking barbecued beef brisket. I found it similar to Goose Island's Matilda. This is not a beer for everyone. This is the beer I drank for the rest of the night. It kept getting more complex - roasted/smoked malts started to get sweeter and a great sweet-smoked flavor started coming through on the palate. Things started to caramelize - it was like pan drippings and brandy. This was a phenomenal brew!

3.38/5  rDev -5.3%

Had this beer on tap at Great Lost Bear in Portland. Poured a clear light brown color. Not a great deal of carbonation. Beer has a fairly light taste, not overly sweet or smoky. To be honest, I had no idea what this beer was when I first had it. Now that I know its a smoked beer it makes a little bit more sense, but still this beer is far less peaty then other smoked beers I have had. Not bad, but certainly not the best allagash has to offer.

3.45/5  rDev -3.4%

(From notes)

A - Clear marigold color; thinner white head; much lighter than other smoked beers that I've come across

S - Lots of smoke; touch bacony that even incorporates a bit of tabacco; light malt sweetness; pretty overpowering to me

T - Bacon; burning campfire woodiness; burnt bacon-wood finish

M - Medium and a little viscous and slick; very low carbonation

D - Not the greatest for me, some interesting things going on and definitely a more extreme brew. The smoke strength couple with the viscous MF kinda made me feel like I was drinking bacon grease at one point

Glad to have tried this, but I wouldn't rush to revisit.

4.38/5  rDev +22.7%

Sampled on draft tonight at Capone's.

Pours a dark coppery golden orange/chestnut brown color with golden oragne hues when held to a light source and a two finger frothy off white head that slowly settles into a lasting cap that coats the glass with lacing.

Wonderfully roasted smokey aroma with strong hints of campfire, barecue, bacon, charcoal, butane and wood along with some lighter sweeter biscuit malt and subtle light fruit. The smokey rauch like aromas are prominent but the other notes are still evident in the nose.

Sligtly roasted medium body with soft carbonation up front, heavy smoke character, subtle caramel malt, spice and lift crisp fruit. This beer is pretty smokey but is very well balanced allowing plenty of other flavors to shine. Plenty of smoked malt with subtle hints of charcoal and burnt barbecue. This is balanced by a nice zesty peppery spice as well as some sweet caramel malt and crisp light fruit. I'm picking up some apricot, orange and possibly peach. Very well balanced without to dominant of a smoke flavor and the QBV is very well masked making Burnham Road dangerously drinkable. Recommended.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »