Join our email list →

Allagash Brewing Company
Maine, United States | website

Lambic - Fruit | 5.70% ABV

Beer added by: gregc on 06-02-2010

Spontaneous beer aged with raspberries.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Allagash Coolship Red Alström Bros
firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
4.6/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Big thanks to the Allagash crew for providing this for our SMBDC meeting. I've been fortunate to have this on a couple occasions, but the sample at the meeting was the largest I had received to date. Finally getting around to putting this on BA.

Pours a hazy pinkish color, no head or lacing in the tasting glass.

Smell had a strong presence of raspberry with a slight funkiness.

The taste really emphasized the raspberry fruitiness of it with a nice crispness, not overly carbonated like some lambics could be but I'd say it's the right amount for this beer, the sour/tartness isn't extreme but there is an acidic backdrop.

Probably my favorite of all the coolships so far, this is definitely one I hope they're able to make more of.

4.46/5  rDev +1.6%

Reviewed from my tasting notes of a decent sized sample I consumed at an epic tasting event held with the members of the SMBDC. A big thanks to Rob Tod and Jason Perkins for donating this beer.

Pours as a clear pink and brown mixture with a pink foamy head. It is incredibly pretty. Just looking into the glass, I can tell this is a special beer, a feeling I would have even if I didn't know the significance of this beer. The nose has a lot raspberries, as well as some musty yeast notes and a little sourness. The flavor has qualities of a fine fruit juice with a sour middle and effervescent finish. Sour juice flavors linger on after each swallow. Throughout each taste there is a lot of raspberry. It has a medium body and leaves behind a good coating. It has excellent drinkability; no single aspect is too strong (you could argue that the raspberries are ever-present, btu even they are restrained and taste great, the benefit of aging on the actual fruit and not using juice or an extract). This is an amazing beer, perhaps the finest Allagash product I've had to date. I do hope I am able to try it again someday.

4.23/5  rDev -3.6%

Sampled this at the recent Southern Maine Beer Drinkers meeting. 3oz pour into a tasting glass. Thanks to Jason and Rob at Allagash for letting our group try this beer (along with Resurgam)

A: Pours a cloudy ruby/grapefruit color. No head or lacing, but the small sample doens't really allow for any. My pour was towards the end of the bottle, so there were some floaties (likely from the raspberries)

S: Light raspberry essence. Other fruit flavors came out (such as apple), but nose was mostly raspberry. Small hint of funk in the finish

T: Wonderful burst of fruit, again mostly raspberry. After this, the beer goes dry and slightly tart

M: Light bodied, low carbonation, dry finish

D: Very delicious beer which I am extremely grateful to have tried. The one thing I would like to see is more carbonation though. Looking forward to when these Coolship beers are released to the public

Poured into 3 oz tasting glasses at the Southern Maine Beer Drinkers Club August meeting, as a gift from Rob Tod and Jason Perkins.

A: slightly hazy, with the hue of fresh raspberries. very reminiscent of a rose petal.

S: fresh raspberries and barnyard, almost like standing half way between the raspberry patch and the horse stables on a hot summer day.

T: taking a sip of this beer is like picking a fresh raspberry, popping it in your mouth, and squishing it between your tongue and the roof of your mouth until the fruit dissolves. as the raspberry fades, the complexity of the wild yeasts comes into play.

M: stays beautifully in the mouth with a fruitiness and crispness, hangs on the tongue as the flavors unfold.

D: extremely drinkable. with every sip, my mouth began to salivate as a sign that my brain wanted more! i feel very lucky to have experienced this beer. i can only hope this is a sign of things to come from Rob and Jason.

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last