2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Allagash White - Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash WhiteAllagash White

Allagash Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Witbier |  5.00% ABV

Our interpretation of a traditional Belgian wheat beer. Brewed with a generous portion of wheat and spiced with coriander and Curacao orange peel, this beer is fruity, refreshing and slightly cloudy in appearance.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Allagash White Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,343 | Reviews: 1,228 | Show All Ratings:
RBorsato

Truly cloudy and white-ish with a nice creamy white head, good carbonation, and rings of lace. Classic crisp spicy aroma and taste from the coriander. Medium bodied, fluffy and creamy with a nice balance of citrus and spice.

Awesome ! The best "American" Belgian style Wit I've ever had !!

Label staes "Beer brewed with spices"

06-02-2003 10:12:04 | More by RBorsato
IronGiant

I'll admit - I'm partial to Belgians.

I've had lots and lots of Belgians - and Allagash White remains my favorite. The folks in Maine have create a perfect brew - well balanced, crisp, beautiful to look at and even better to taste.

I know I depart from the BA ASTM rating system - but really, sometimes it's less about measuring and science and all about experience. And Allagash White is a perfect experience.

Can I have another, please?

06-29-2010 18:03:16 | More by IronGiant
shorty19

New Hampshire

Awesome beer that has a small floral taste.
This beer pours cloudy and smooth. Hints of lemon and orange. has slight fizz but this beer is The best beer i have had!!! A must taste
The best....the best the best i got this beer at the best beer store.Francestown village store!!! a must see store has every beer you can imagine!

01-06-2011 02:16:52 | More by shorty19
BradMacMullin

4.99/5  rDev +20%

I can't believe I haven't rated this yet. So perfect. My go to for a perfect beer. I think the balance of wheat and citrus is perfect. Pours this typical yellowtail color with an ok carbonation and head. But the taste is so f...ing good. Allahash is one of many Maine breweries killing it. This beer is simply perfect

12-12-2013 01:54:42 | More by BradMacMullin
funkengruven

Ontario (Canada)

4.97/5  rDev +19.5%

This poured beautifuly into my glass with a slight head, not as much as most other wit's but still very nice. Smell is spicy, very aromatic, absolutely wonderful. Taste is just as good, spicy, with a very tasty aroma, just wonderful. Exceptionally smooth and easy to drink. When it comes to Witbier this is pretty damn close to perfection.

Best American Wit, hands down.

09-29-2007 05:06:24 | More by funkengruven
cmq103

4.97/5  rDev +19.5%

A: Initial pour was cloudy, but in a good way. The cloudiness cleared up after the second pour.

S: Definitely spicy with cloves and corainder. I could smell this all day...

T: Same as the smell, but better. Cloves, coriander and wheat; what a great combo

M: Smooth and creamy on the tongue, not overly sweet with just the right carbonation.

D: Oh yes, that it has. I could see a few of these going down with little effort. The ABV makes for a perfect session beer.

Just tapped my first 1/6 keg at home. Being a huge fan of Hoegaarden, I must admit I think I found a new favorite American Witbier. I bought a four-pack of bottles before committing to a 1/6 keg. I will say I am not disappointed. It's twice as good on tap!!

08-28-2010 04:23:14 | More by cmq103
dragonclan15

4.97/5  rDev +19.5%

A wonderful cloudy color to the beer.

Not a beer you want to drink all night but a nice beer for a couple of rounds due to it's sweetness.

Provides the drinker with cinnamon, allspice and cloves.

Leaves one wanting another due to it's great taste and lightness.

It's hard to get a lighter beer that has "taste".

I would recommend to all beer lovers.

03-08-2011 04:20:08 | More by dragonclan15
bpw28

4.97/5  rDev +19.5%

Look: Two finger thick white as snow head, light strawish hazy color, loads of carb, very nice lacing.

Smell: Big wheatiness, clove, coriander, big banana peel, clean warming spices, yeasty, watermelon rind

Taste: Wow. A hurricane of flavor on the end. Big wheat, banana, coriander, lemoniness, boquet of subtle spices, very very clean but full for a wit, watermelon rind, Beautiful yeastiness, everything is nice and balanced nothing screams over anything. Harmony in a glass. The carb is on point.

Final Thoughts: This is the kind of beer I live for. This screams "drink me under a tree on a warm day" but it also says "Sip me as the multi-colored leaves fall from the trees." This one makes my top 10 favorite of all time. I'm not a big witbier fan at all, but this was stellar. As a wine-loving asshole use to say to me "It's better then sex!" Thank you allagash. The hype on this one is true.

07-27-2011 17:45:01 | More by bpw28
rosebud

New Hampshire

4.95/5  rDev +19%

I can't help it, this is my favorite white beer. Unfornately it has spoiled me and made me very critical when it comes to white beers! I love that beautiful critrus taste and the way the flavor lingers in the tongue after the last sip. I have to give the brewer credit on this. I haven't had an American belgian-style white that can compete.

09-17-2001 18:21:34 | More by rosebud
Grundle20

4.95/5  rDev +19%

Appearance:
The beer is hazy and lemon yellow in color. There's a sizable white head to the beer that leaves some moderate lacing despite it's somewhat poor retention.

Smell:
The scent is refreshing and spicy. There's solid notes of nutmeg and coriander with a hit of cinnamon in the back. Under the initial spicing there is a smooth, and somewhat sweet, wheat backbone to the nose.

Taste and Mouthfeel:
Initially the beer is light and crisp on the palate but this slowly pans out in to more of a full and sourdough like foodiness. A lemon zest like character paired with some interesting banana notes really make for a wonderfully refreshing taste up front but again these flavors develop more in to a mild spice cake or weak banana bread like full flavor towards the finish. The finish is clean and almost refreshes the palate with each drink and leaves little in the way of an aftertaste.

Drinkability:
Easily one of the more refreshing brews I've had this summer but also one of my year long favorites when I'm back out east. A very tasty and easy drinking beer.

Bottom Line:
For my money this is the best witbier I've ever had and after about 5 years of drinking this beer it's probably one of my longest going favored beers. One of the first beers that sent me down the craft brew road.

08-13-2007 20:56:41 | More by Grundle20
MaineBeerMan

Maine

4.93/5  rDev +18.5%

Pale straw yellow beer clouded with plenty of yeast, with a big white head of small bubbles that retained well and left sticky lace on theglass.
Great aroma of lemony citrus, spice and some straw in the background.
Medium body with a crisp, refreshing mouthfeel and perfect carbonation level.
The flavor is subtle and quite complex, lots of wheat with a touch of malt sweetness mingle with tastes of citrus, coriander, yeast,some light hops and a sweet fruitiness that seem to rise and fade on the palate. Dryish in the finish with a bit of lingering hop and yeast flavor.
A very tasty beer, even better on a hot Summer day, but enjoyable year round.

02-01-2003 23:39:35 | More by MaineBeerMan
alexmel7

Spain

4.91/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

The combination of a light, crisp body with plenty of fizzy carbonation, flavors of orange and lemon, and a gentle roll into a subtle hoppy finish make this the perfect refreshing summer beer that still has loads of flavor. This is a great beer to introduce to friends or girlfriends who claim to only like the taste of generic lager.

09-08-2013 02:48:23 | More by alexmel7
ArrogantDeadGuy

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

A: Cloudy white mixed with yellow hue with
little evidence of carbonation, head, lace,
etc. Quite a pretty pour in a simplistic
sense.

S: Heavy fruit/citrus aromas with a little bit
of grass/grain and just a hint of hop and
alcohol.

T: Fantastic rush of citrus fruit. This beer
could be my water substitute. The grassy
undertones are well highlighted but not at
all any competition for the citrus themes
of this brew.

M/D: The smoothness of this drink is virtually
unparalleled. I love the even bodied nature
and the almost perfect smoothness with
which this beer makes its way into your
stomach. There is none greater in the
summer months.

07-11-2009 02:48:04 | More by ArrogantDeadGuy
sjantiflow

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

This is, with little doubt, my favorite beer at the moment. So, my review may be somewhat biased. Here goes!

Magnificent appearance. Shimmering golden color. Holding my glass to the light, it shines brilliantly like the sun. The head floats so delicately like a cloud.

Smell is quintessential witbier. The citrus and coriander lend a pleasant aroma. Yeast and spicy notes are also there.

Taste and mouthfeel is outstanding. The light carbonation and citrus make this beer so very drinkable. It tingles the palate and is enticing.

I could drink several of these gems. SUPERB beer.

10-09-2010 00:51:13 | More by sjantiflow
BillyBrew

Maine

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

This brew is everything right in beer.

Cloudy pale/straw yellow colour, almost glows in the light. with a super-creamy, white head that bubbles and sticks and coats and, most importantly, never fades. The yeast naturally pokes me in the nose, along with citrus peels and one of those 'exotic' spices, coriander I am told. Stong, but not striking, flavors of malted wheat and yeast. Floral and citrus flavors, but not neccesarily hops. Bitter fruit rinds, not sweet juice or essence. A coriander (?) spiceiness. Super-smooth medium body that is crisp with a fine complimentary carbonation. Pleasant lingering flavor, not a lasting aftertaste.

This beer is a great pick for any occasion: in warm or cool weather, in the morning and before bedtime, and with any food or in its own, naked right. Mkae sure you try this brew in all of these situations and combinations. Enjoy (a six pack)!
Cheers!

11-17-2002 06:22:23 | More by BillyBrew
LooksCouldKiilll

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

This is my absolute favorite beer! With a lemon in it! Oh my god! Highly reccomended!

It's a very nice light beer. It's great with anything, and most of all it's refreshing. It's the perfect beer with any meal. This beer is very clean and crisp. Definitely add a lemon while drinking this beer.

08-31-2006 21:15:49 | More by LooksCouldKiilll
BigB

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

Over the years I have had many wheat beers with this being one of my favorites. Many establishments serve wheat beers with a slice of orange or other fruit but I generally pass on that as I think it disguises the true aroma of the beer itself. I normally have this on tap at home and served this at two recent summer parties and many of my friends who normally drink macro-brews stuck to this even though their usual brands were available.

Appearance – The beer is bright yellow and translucent. The head presents itself well initially then reduces to small floating islands with good lacing on the glass as you drink it.

Smell – There are notes of yeast, spices and fruit in the aroma.

Taste – Certainly there is a hint of clove and other spices with some fruitiness in the taste, but it’s just right. Some wheat beers I have tried are over-spiced leaving me feeling like I just bit into the clove that mom missed removing from the Christmas ham.

Mouthfeel – Lighter on the tongue that some other wheat beers with noticeable and pleasant carbonation.

Drinkability - The alcohol level is reasonable and makes this a beer which you can drink over an extended period of time especially in the summer months. This is my favorite summer beer presently even though I believe it is available throughout the year.

08-19-2007 17:35:19 | More by BigB
rkcrozier

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

With a trip to Portland ME in the upcoming months, I wanted to taste a beer from one of their finest breweries - Allagash. I was not disappointed. Poured from a 12 oz. screw cap bottle, the colors and aroma were mouth watering. A beautiful, golden straw color, my mouth watered as I awaited a tasting. Once I lifted the glass to my mouth, the smell of oranges and citrus enveloped my senses. The first taste was a blast of refreshing fruits and a touch of yeast and with east sip, I was in love.

By far one of the finest Belgian whites I've tasted, this one is a definite must for fans of this style of beer.

07-25-2008 15:43:16 | More by rkcrozier
Flightoficarus

Washington

Serving type - 12 oz bottle into goblet

A - pours a cloudy, white-ish yellow hue, with a decent white foam head, leaving a creamy lacing around the glass.

S - Smell is of lemon, spices, coriander, and wheat

T - Lemon, wheat and spices all hit at once, but all of these flavors are flawlessly balanced! This flavor profile pretty such sticks out the whole time.

M - Light and refreshing, but still fairly complex and creamy, especially for a 5.2% beer.

D - Insanely high drinkability. Goes down as easy, maybe easier than a marco-lager!

Overall - Outstanding for sure, it's perfect beer for drinking on a nice day. One of the best wit's I've had!

07-26-2010 10:26:17 | More by Flightoficarus
John

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

Quite a complex brew. One of the best (if not THE best) Wit beers brewed in the US.

10-08-2001 16:51:45 | More by John
Jameson480

Connecticut

A - Looks like a standard witbier, orange-golden, slightly cloudy

S - Rich tones of citrus and corriander

T - This is where the beer really excels. It's more complex than Blue Moon, but less aggressive and less metallic tasting than Hoegarden. It's the best witbier I've had to date. Very balanced with a nice amount of spiciness and a nice amount of citrus flavor

M - The flavor is light enough that it tends to dissipate fairly quickly; however, it is not overpowering

D - Good beer, I recommend trying it at least once. My only problem with this beer is its price. It costs more than a 6-pack of normal witbier and you only get 4 bottles. If the price were competitive with other witbiers and it came in a 6-pack, it would be perfect.

04-20-2008 03:52:03 | More by Jameson480
mcarroll10177

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

One of my all time favorites.

A- lemon yellow with pale white head.

S- Lemon zest and fresh grass a truly inviting fresh scent

T- perfection lemon fruilt up front with a slightest bitterness and a clean refreshing finsh.

M clean carbination resonates in the mouth verf nice

D- excellent this could be drunk every day and I would not get tired of it. What a great great beer.

02-04-2009 16:17:47 | More by mcarroll10177
exbelgianexpat

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Over the past year, had 6 kegs of Allagash White, 1 keg of Allagash Black and a BBC Coffehouse Porter (very good) and we just can't shake Allagash White -- it's like crack cocaine!! This Christmas Eve we had family over with many wine drinkers and one older uncle who is sworn to Budweiser to the end of his days. Within an hour all were drinking Allagash White and asking for more. Need I say more?

12-25-2013 04:02:30 | More by exbelgianexpat
Wildman

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

This beer poured a light, cloudy straw color and formed a small white head that left little lace. Quite a bit of carbonation to it. A citrus and slight hops aroma to it. The taste was of citrus, spice which was probably coriander and some hops. The finish was a touch tart due no doubt to the spice element and the heavy carbonation. A good summer beer.

06-27-2002 17:26:31 | More by Wildman
Scooter77

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

This is by far one of my favorites. Cloudy pale, straw yellow color. Pours a nice foam, which leaves a thin lace that clings to the side of the glass. Smells of citrus, coriander and mild hops. Flavors of lemon and orange seem to entice the taste buds first, followed by the spiciness of coriander. All the while, still tasting the mild undertones of yeast and hops. Left a pleasant after-taste, which didn't seem to hang around for too long. All-in-all and absolutely exceptional brew.

11-25-2002 07:52:44 | More by Scooter77