Allagash White - Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Witbier |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Our interpretation of a traditional Belgian wheat beer. Brewed with a generous portion of wheat and spiced with coriander and Curacao orange peel, this beer is fruity, refreshing and slightly cloudy in appearance.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Allagash White Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,323 | Hads: 4,841
1.41/5  rDev -65.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

I feel a need to rant. Why is this called a witbier, when other totally different beers like Leinie's Sunset Wheat and Sam Adams White Lantern are also called witbiers? They are totally different! Why does Allagash White claim to be flavored with coriander and orange peel, when the only detectable flavor is of putrefaction? The aforementioned brews are delightful to drink and taste of coriander and orange peel, but Allagash White gives only the sensation of drinking roadkill. This is exactly what you should expect from open fermentation.
(See my treatise on Leffe Blonde for an easy and cheap way to make beers of this type.)
In short, the horrible flavor of this percolating yeast sewage may haunt my taste memory for the rest of my miserable life unless I can drink enough IPAs and lagers to wash it away.

1.56/5  rDev -62.1%

Not one of my favorets It poured nice, looking good in the glass. Nice cloudy head didn't stick around that long. A pale amber/yellow hue hazy. Good color, nice looking beer. Kind of short on taste not much going on a little spicy a bit of citrus Smokey fruit. The aftertaste was too much a little winey, I didn't care for it and found it hard to finish I wouldn't recommend this one!

2.45/5  rDev -40.5%

Poured from a 12oz. brown bottle, Allagash White had a cloudy straw color and nothing that could be described as a "head", just a thin bubbly skim. The smell was a blending of yeasty pale malt, coriander, and some peppery spices. The taste was lightly malted with some yeast and had a spicey bite in the finish. The real dominant taste was an acrid metallic tang that really exerted a hard bitterness on the back of the palate. The feel was light and kind of flat.
I can't really express how disappointed I was with this offering from Allagash Brewing Co. Described as their flagship beer, I thought this would have had a lot more character than a flat, bitter gunmetal flavor. With no markings on the bottle to give me an idea as to a "best before" date, I can only hope this particular bottle was simply past its prime and not the norm.

2.45/5  rDev -40.5%

Bottle poured into a tumbler. Color was a hazy yellow. Head didn’t last long at all. First thing that struck me was a strange "celery" / vegetable taste that was persistent the whole way through, which I didn’t care for. Tried it cause it is compared to Hoegaarden often. I don’t think I will be trying this again.

2.51/5  rDev -39.1%

Dayton, OH AleFest:This beer's appearance was a small sized white head with fine sized bubbles that quickly diminished.The body was cloudy and the hue was pale yellow.The nose was fruity, citrusy and spicy.It had a light bitter flavor to it and the mouthfeel was smooth.

2.58/5  rDev -37.4%

Had this one up in the sleepy little town of Sylva, NC.

A - It pours into a pint glass a semi-cloudy pale yellow. Head quickly fades into a fairy ring. A bit of lacing.

S - The nose is a bit light but one can detect wheat, some spices, and floral hops.

T - I'm disappointed. I base most of my witbier reviews from my perceptions of Hoegaarden and Wittekerke. To me this beer falls short. I can barely detect the spices or citrus in the beer and part of this is due to an unusual high level of hops for this style. To me, it comes off as watery and hoppy / grassy.

M - A light mouthfeel and a bit biting.

D - I don't think I'm going to repeat this one.

2.66/5  rDev -35.4%

OK start at a witbier, but an _extremely_ heavy hand with coriander and hops destroys the thirst-quenching properties that one gets from the best examples of this style. This beer is nowhere near the wit that Hoegaarden and (the long lamented) Celis White were.

2.69/5  rDev -34.7%

Pours a cloudy straw-golden color with a light, creamy head. Spicy nose with a hint of banana and coriander. More spiciness on the palate, although I can't pick out any specific flavors. Progresses from spicy to bitter with a dry finish. Decent mouthfeel, especially with the tingly feeling all of the spice gives. Overall, though, I'm not really a fan. It lacks the overt coriander and pleasant spice blending of Hoegaarden or Celis White, or the subtle balance of Wittekerke. Probably not going to buy this one again.

2.75/5  rDev -33.3%

This one pours a cloudy golden color with a tall white head.
Its aroma is of spice and a little yeast.
The taste is a little watery, even for a white. The flavors come in stronger after you have given it time to warm up a bit. The spice and yeast flavors are most powerful in the aftertaste.
Mouth feel is light bodied and slightly carbonated.

This is an alright brew, but it leaves me wanting something with more flavor.

2.76/5  rDev -33%

This brew pours a small head of fine white mostly lasting bubbles that left an excellent lacing and a straw yellow colored body. I smelled no discernable aroma from it. It had a tingly mouthfeel and a mild bread flavor. Nothing much here and I was not as impressed with it as others seem to be.

2.78/5  rDev -32.5%

Allagash White is a typical witbier. It pours a slightly hazy, pale yellow with minimal head and no lasting lace. It's aroma is largely of banana with hints of coriander and vanilla. The flavor starts with spice notes followed by lemon and a good malt/hop balance. The mouthfeel is light and it's drinkability is good. Very refreshing. Recommended.

2.81/5  rDev -31.8%

Served on tap with a lemon poured into a pint glass.

A- Pale yellow coloring with a bit of head.

S- Had a somewhat lemon, citrus smell to it even before I put the lemon in it.

T- Not the best of this type I have ever had. A little too bitter, just not really a good blend here.

M- A little bitter, perhaps too much of a citrus taste.

D- Not a huge fan of this beer so I don't really find it drinkable. Too much citrus for me.

2.82/5  rDev -31.6%

As someone who drinks almost exclusively IPA style brews, I don't really know how to properly belly up to this witbier, but will do my best.

12oz bottle into tasting glass

A: Almost chartreuse! Bubbly with some suspended solids, making it slightly clouded. Head disappeared almost immediately, leaving no trace.

S: Quite perfumed, although faint.

T: Quite tame, even for a wit, I think. A bit of a bite (the spices, I presume?), but light and fruity.

M: Highly carbonated, with a high tingle-factor.

O: Again, not really my style, but I wouldn't kick it out of bed if I found one there.

2.83/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

White papery yellow color. Sharp lemon, cracker and whey aromas. A creamy, milky texture gives persistent, oily bitterness surrounded by lemon and orange peel. I walk away from it and try to define what keeps me from "liking" this beer. The bitterness is a little obnoxious, but not in an absolute sense; the bitterness seems unconnected to the other flavors (and way too persistent) and for that matter, so does the light, alcohol-derived sweetness. The finish is a bit of a chore too. It felt like it took forever to dispatch 12 ounces. None of the demerits are terribly obvious, but the bitterness builds, becoming more punishing as it drains.

2.84/5  rDev -31.1%

01/13/06- Purchased at Sun Devil Liquors in Mesa, AZ.

Presentation- 12oz bottle with no freshness info. Poured into a chalice like glass.

Appearance- Urine yellow in color...with the kidney stones in tact (yeast clumps). Zero head retention and zero lacing. Lifeless.

Smell- Not much of anything. Sniffing a bit deeper there is a bit of sweetness with a bit of spice tang.

Taste- Mild sweetness with a touch of corriander and white pepper as well as some other spices. Maybe some orange rind as well.

Mouthfeel- Lifeless, next to no carbonation.

Drinkability- I'm hoping really hard that this bottle is past it's prime. Just not a good beer in this case. If it had some carbonation and some life to it, we may be talking a different story. Every Allagash brew I have had to date was above average, so I will try this again at a later date and re-review if necessary.

2.85/5  rDev -30.8%

A - Hazy golden color with very little white head and very little lacing

S - Banana and citrus with lemon zest and some spice and grain

T - Lemon zest with spice. Clean and smooth

M - Medium body with light carbonation

D - Not horrible but not something I would reach for again

2.85/5  rDev -30.8%

Not much aroma. Poured with a light, fine, white head and a bit of lace. Hazy yellow color. A bit citrus. Kind of indistinct. Sort of crisp. Ok beer. Don't pick up any of the spice. Not a bad finish. What finish there is though, is short lived. Be good to cook with.

2.88/5  rDev -30.1%

Pours a one finger white head that fades quickly no lace. Cloudy amber color. Light carbonation and light-medium bodied. Yeasty nose. Starts with more yeast than anything, looking for spices - they are subtle, quiet finish needs more crispness. $1.70 for a 12oz bottle from Colonial Spirits Acton, Ma.

2.88/5  rDev -30.1%

Reviewed 7/2/2006 (12oz bottle):

Pours a very cloudy very pale yellow color, medium sized head, but it's diminishing. An aroma of citrus, spices, and some alcohol. A dry aroma. Fizzy taste, somewhat watery body. Some taste of spices, and citrus. Not a lot of flavor, I was expecting more. Somewhat watery.

2.91/5  rDev -29.4%

Appearance: Poured a cloudy pale whitish yellow. No head to speak of at all, just a very thin layer. Lacing is present, but very mild.

Smell: Strong spicy nose of cinnamon and cloves. Lemon peel and banana are present as well. Mild wheat malts and sweetness. A slight “rubbery” off smell at times.

Taste: Very light wheat taste, with some lemony sweetness. Some of the same Belgian spices as in the nose, but much more mild. Perhaps a bit too mild, as the flavor just seems to run away.

Mouthfeel: Thin bodied and smooth. Very light. Very little carbonation

Drinkability: An okay witbier, but nothing special. The correct Belgian flavors are there, but the flavor is too washed out and there is a weird smell in the nose. Easy enough to drink and goes down smooth, but there are better choices in this segment.

Buy Again? Possibly (it is possible I got a bad beer), but I’d rather try something new.

2.95/5  rDev -28.4%

Served a pale hazy yellow straw amber with a big white head. Sweets with some citrus tones lead the flavor pack. Also the yeast and some spices come through quite strong. The flavors are not balanced to where I would like them. Mouthfeel is thin and carbed. This beer did not come close to living up to the hype which surrounds it. Drink less Maine beer.

Very strong flavor. Best used for cooking. Made a braised chicken dish and a kielbasa with apples recipe that was out of this world. I tend to enjoy milder tasting beers. This Allagash White was brewed with spices and was exactly what I was looking for in a cooking base.

In a pint glass (also had in a tulip, not mine, thanx Brian):

A: hazy straw yellow color with a small fizzy head that doesn't last long, lacing speckles the sides of the glass

S: light citrus, clove and coriander

T: spicey through the previously mentioned flavors with some added malty wheat, lemon and yeastiness

M: light to medium, fairly drinkable leaving a peppery aftertaste and finish

O: it seems to be getting better numbers every time I come back to this, still not 100% sold on this one, but it still fits the style.

I have had this on tap before and enjoyed it but this review is based on a bottle we had last night.

Hazy light yellow appearance. Visible yeast and poured with little head. There was not much body/carbonation. I got a strong yeast smell. The taste started with lemon tones and also detected banana. I was a little dissapointed. Not sure if I just got a bad bottle but the flavor and body was lacking from what I remembered having on tap. I will give this another try.

Appearance: Hazy light golden color. Thin white head.

Aroma: Banana esters and spiciness on the nose.

Taste: Dry and crisp. No single flavor dominates, although there are some yeasty flavors present.

Mouthfeel: Coating, but on the thin side, with a lingering finish.

Drinkablilty: Not a beer for me. Still have not attained an enjoyment for this style.

Allagash White from Allagash Brewing Company