Allagash White - Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash WhiteAllagash White

Allagash Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Witbier |  5.00% ABV

Our interpretation of a traditional Belgian wheat beer. Brewed with a generous portion of wheat and spiced with coriander and Curacao orange peel, this beer is fruity, refreshing and slightly cloudy in appearance.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Allagash White Alström Bros

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%

Appearance: I've always liked the way witbiers look, and this is no exception. Wonderfully pale and hazy with a good head and incredible lacing all the way down the glass. A thin layer of foam is also retained the entire time.

Smell: Wheaty banana and clove done to perfection.

Taste: Similar to the smell with added dimensions. A strong yeasty element gives way to some tang in the finish. Rich, spicy, fruity, flawless.

Mouthfeel: So chewy and playful. This beer coats the inside of your mouth as you drink it. The only bad thing is that some of the yeast sticks on the back of your tongue and throat with a drying effect.

Drinkability: Almost perfect here. It's a good thirst quencher in the summer and also does a good job washing down food, but it seems to be more dehydrating than most beers. That aside, I still find it hard to not drink two or three more whenever I have one of these.

Beef Notes: Without a doubt my favorite witbier. Nothing else can touch it, as far as I'm concerned. Sadly, I don't see it in stores as much as I used to.

3.85/5  rDev -7.2%

750ml brown bottle- Batch # 26 noted on label

Pours a murky, clouded golden copper color with two fingers of white firm rocky head. Lacing is thick and hangs in sheets.

Smell is citrusy lemon grass, spicy coriander and a hint of fertile earth.

Taste is much the same as the scent with the coriander being more pronounced, a bit tart with a lighly bittered finish.

Medium bodied, moderate carbonation. Crisp mouthfeel.

Overall, I found this to be an enjoyable experience. I would drink this again.

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

12 oz capped bottle poured into an Allagash branded glass.

Hazy blonde body topped by a very bright white head which fades after not too long leaving some strings of lacing on the sides of the glass.

Belgian yeast is very prominent on the nose, which I really like. Spice component is fairly strong without being distracting. Fruity esters from the malted wheat are nicely balanced with the other aromas.

Yeast and spice are still strong on the palate while the fruity characteristics start to become more focused including some hints of banana and possibly tangerine. As was the case on the aroma there's a very nice balance here.

Light body, balanced flavor profile, and relatively low ABV help this beer achieve excellent drinkability if you're into this style.

While not my favorite style this is among the best versions out there in my opinion. Allagash's great Belgian style house yeast is well showcased keeping this from tasting like a spiced pale wheat like some American versions of the style.

3.99/5  rDev -3.9%

4.8/5  rDev +15.7%

Pours a slightly cloudy dark yellow beer. Not much of a head. Take special attention to their helpful instructions on the side of the label:
1) Pour
2) Swirl
3) Pour Yeast

Great idea. Now that top is cloudier.

At first I thought I was smelling a bit of skunk a la Heineken. However, after it breathed it smelled spicy with a hint of orange.

The taste is a great balance. A balance of what, I'm not sure. Tastes like it smells, so I suppose a nice balance of orange, spices, and yeast, without any overbearing wheat flavor. It's not too carbonated, and goes down great.

This is an amazing beer from a style I'm not very familiar with. I would definitely work this into my rotation of my normal doppelbocks. Yay variety!

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

The note on the bottle says that I traded SonofaLime for this beer back in December. Poured into my beer goblet.

Appearance: A light pale yellow beer with a half finger white head of tiny bubbles that settles quickly. Slightly hazy before I pour the yeast in, very hazy after the yeast.

Smell: I smell Belgian yeast phenolics along with lemon and spice. The nose got stronger after the second pour, containing the yeast.

Taste: More wheat than I was expecting, very nice. The taste is quite refreshing, wonderful for a summer beer. A bit of citric notes on the dry finish. Seems a bit one dimensional, may be a bit past it's prime.

Mouthfeel: On the thinner side even with the yeast in. The carbonation is stronger. The flavors are not overpowering, but subtle and nice for a thirst quenching beer.

Overall: A very nice witbier, one that I would love to try again, fresh. Thanks for the trade, Sonofalime.

Allagash White from Allagash Brewing Company