Allagash White - Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Witbier |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Our interpretation of a traditional Belgian wheat beer. Brewed with a generous portion of wheat and spiced with coriander and Curacao orange peel, this beer is fruity, refreshing and slightly cloudy in appearance.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Allagash White Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,610 | Reviews: 1,340
4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Medium-sized, white, noisy, dense, foamy head. Hazy, dirty yellow body. Citrus in the nose and just a little peanutty. Nice. Citrus and major pepper in front. Some burnt crackers. Middle turns tangy, sourish, fruity. It's almost a little milky tasting. Bitter finish, more pepper, grains and some burnt toast. Hm. Very bitter at the end. This is really good. It's better with the yeast pour, I think. Quite milky/tasty. More buttery with temperature.

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

I've had this countless times but never got around to reviwing it, here goes. Served on tap at Bull Feeny's in a big Allagash tulip glass. Has that wonderful turbid yellow with the white foamy head I've come to love. Smells sweetly of lemon and little bit of grain.

This is the best tasting wit I know. Not that I am the all encompassing wit authority, but this is just delighful. So chewy and grainy, with just the right balance of hop at the end. Lots of citrus and fruit come through with just a hint of spice. Very crisp mouthfeel and highly drinkable.

4.12/5  rDev -0.7%

Appearance – Very light yellow in color with a smallish head.

Smell – The light malt character is mixed well with some big orange peel and some stiff spicing. This is a huge Witbier.

Taste – The light malt base is infused with the hearty orange peel and gigantic spicing from the nose. This is more like a BSPA.

Mouthfeel – Lightly carbonated and medium in the body. This one was fluffy and felt great in the mouth.

Drinkability – I really enjoyed this beer, but it would probably be too much for most.

Comments – JohnnyDuvel handed this one to me when I was down in Florida on vacation. He actually gave me two of them – BA Bros are the best!

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

I've had this before, but for whatever reason, hadn't rated it. This time I had the small bottle (as opposed to the 750). This is a wonderful, crisp, refreshing wit. As good as any I've had in this style. Ultimately, I prefer their triple, but this is nearly as good. Appearance as you would expect, light golden color, small head with some retention. Fruity, somewhat dry taste. I find that Allagash has a distinctive taste, which is there in all of their styles. Tangy, refreshing beer.

3.53/5  rDev -14.9%

The beer pours a very pale gold color with a white spotty lace head. The aroma is of Belgian pale malts and yeast. It seems a bit weak and watery. It does have a fruity scent that is appealing . The taste is decent, but again it seems to be a bit watery and weak. There is a fruity aftertaste that lingers. The mouthfeel is good. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This is a good drinker, but I just don't care too much for Allagash beers. Ommegang is so much better.

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I have to start by saying that I like any beer that has instructions on the bottle on how to properly pour it.

That being said, I found this Wit to be above average at best. Perhaps I was expecting more being that some of the other reviews liked it a lot. Or perhaps it's because I had it from a bottle and not on tap.

I'll start with the appearance, being that I liked that part best. Poured a hazy bright gold. The yeast cloudiness was enticing looking. 3/4 to 1/2 inch white head that retained well. Pretty big bubbles. Smell was pretty good also. Slight citrus notes, and slight hint of coriander. I expected more though being that the bottle said "beer brewed with spices," on the label. The taste was good. Crisp, slightly spicy, slightly citrus. Nothing overwhelming. Mouth feel was good also, if not a bit thinner than I expected. As to drinkability, it was better than average. Although, I'm going to have to stick with what I said before, this beer looks better than it tastes. It also smelled better to me than it tasted.

As I said earlier, perhaps I expected more based on others reviews. This is not a bad beer by any means, defiantly above average. But I think I let my high hopes get the best of me, and I wound up being underwhelmed.

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

I finally got my west coast hands on some Allagash (dubbel and tripel to follow) and am most impressed with the first sample. It pours a hazy yellow that's reminiscent of a refreshing glass of fresh-squeezed lemonade. The foamy white head settles a bit but leaves traces on top and sticking around the edges of the glass. Going along with the lemon appearance is a very nice citrus smell with just a trace of spice. The taste is sour but not overwhelmingly sour and as smooth as silk. After giving this a try on its own, I used it to wash down some tortilla chips and spicy salsa and it really worked well. I'm looking forward to resampling this on a hot summer afternoon.

3.13/5  rDev -24.6%

12 oz. twist top with no date. Pouring instructions that tell you to put the yeast in.
Aroma: Lemon rind and a mild lambic sour. Not much noted in terms of spices.
Appearance: Hazy lemon yellow with a glint of the White in the name. Thin white head with a couple of odd clumps of foam. It showed some decent lacing.
Flavor: Mild taste mostly of a light malt. None of the lambic sour, no spices really, no citric notes, it has taste, but it ends up being very neutral. As it warmed up, some minor classic Belgian taste started to peek out, but it was very little, very late.
Mouthfeel: Surprisingly thick body, given the color at style. It’s syrupy with a bit of chew.
Overall Impression: I don’t really have one. I guess this might be a good ease into Wit beer style, but I don’t think I’d offer one to someone as a good example. This needs more ZIP! More spices, more lambic sour, more lemon or citric notes. It lacks all of this. Can’t really recommend this one.
I really enjoy Wits, but this just did nothing for me. Looking over the other BA reviews, it seems that there is a lot of variability (ranges from a 5 to a 1.6) in scores. I have to assume that the lack of a date on the bottle plays a big roll. Coriander fades pretty quickly, and it’s a core ingredient in a good Wit. I’m guessing that I got an aged bottle, and thus am not getting the wonderful taste other BA’s obviously received. I’m thinking this plays a role in the other less than stellar reviews as well. I’d suggest the brewer put a date on the bottle, but I’m guessing they know that they simply won’t sell older vintages, so they don’t. Wit is best fresh, not a beer to age. I’d like to get a fresh sample, but how would I know?

Re-reviewed 5-13-04
Aroma: A sour- sourdough lemony smell with a dash of spice.
Appearance: A hazy apricot orange yellow that had a brief white head but now just a trace. Little hints of lace, but short lived before diving back to the liquid.
Flavor: The sour is subdued, allowing a very fresh fruit tang to shine. A bit acidic and I get a hint of grapefruit and good doses of pear with a twist of orange peel. I’m still struggling on the spices. Logic tells me there is coriander but I can’t pick it out. I aged this bottle a bit in the fridge, so it may have faded. I do get a taste of white pepper.
Mouthfeel: A bit of a prickle, especially at the tip of the tongue. Carbonation seems a tad low for style.
Overall Impression: A tasty wit. A bit subtle in my opinion, I like a wit to really grab me and make me salivate. This was more pleasant and well mannered. It is a good hot weather beer, but not quite a lawn mower. No problems with drinkability, but I don’t find myself craving another. Suggested, but only if you are into wits.

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

Package: 750ml corked and caged bottle, labeled 5.2% ABV. Batch #8. Bottle-conditioned. Expressionist forest scene on label.

Cost: $5.49 at Finger Lakes Beverage

Presentation: tulip glass at ~45º

Appearance: Cloudy, very pale yellow color. Almost like citron pressé. Voluminously fluffy, dry head that persisted through both servings. Numerous streams of extremely fine bubbles cut through a cloudy body. Substantial lace. Very vigorous cork pop and gunsmoke, with a lot of lees at the bottom of the bottle.

Smell: Complexly floral with banana, clove, coriander, and citrus peel. Very crisp and clean.

Taste: Starts off with primary tastes of citrus peel (lemon zest), coriander, and a touch of banana. These elements are buoyed by an inviting yeastiness. As the beer warms, it shows even better, with the orange peel noted on the label taking over for the harsher lemony notes. This beer rounds out and really begins to show much more complexity than your average Wit. This complexity is only slightly marred by the slightly watery, short finish. It would benefit from a bit more concentration.

Mouthfeel: Incredibly smooth, bottle-conditioned carbonation. Extremely fine bubbles carry the flavor well, while maintaining a crisp liveliness. Very creamy for such a light, effervescent beer.

Drinkability: Super refreshing and drinkable. The ABV is not much of an issue and is undetectable. A first rate warm-weather thirst-quenching beer. Delicate AND satisfying.

Backwash: Another great effort from Allagash. I’d sought the 750’s of this for some time, and finally found them at Finger Lakes Beverage in October. Although I think of this as a “warm-weather” beer, I couldn’t stop myself from trying one. It showed all of the finesse and complexity I’ve come to expect from Allagash, combined with wonderfully executed bottle conditioning. Allagash really does this well. The spices are well-integrated and not over-wrought. Very effervescent and thirst-quenching; just the thing for a Summer day! I only wish I didn’t have to go to Ithaca to get it!

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

A perfectly golden-yellow brew! Like most corked beers, this one comes out highly carbonated, so watch when you open it. The bubbling keeps going for quite some time, keeping the visuals nice and entertaining. Smells very strongly of citrus. Lots of citrus, with at least a few different kinds contained.

The taste is very tangy. Very fruity, and all around wonderful. Not heavy at all. The mouthfeel is perhaps a tad sharp, but overall this one is a good, light, fruity beer. A pleasure to drink.

2.95/5  rDev -28.9%

Served a pale hazy yellow straw amber with a big white head. Sweets with some citrus tones lead the flavor pack. Also the yeast and some spices come through quite strong. The flavors are not balanced to where I would like them. Mouthfeel is thin and carbed. This beer did not come close to living up to the hype which surrounds it. Drink less Maine beer.

2.45/5  rDev -41%

Poured from a 12oz. brown bottle, Allagash White had a cloudy straw color and nothing that could be described as a "head", just a thin bubbly skim. The smell was a blending of yeasty pale malt, coriander, and some peppery spices. The taste was lightly malted with some yeast and had a spicey bite in the finish. The real dominant taste was an acrid metallic tang that really exerted a hard bitterness on the back of the palate. The feel was light and kind of flat.
I can't really express how disappointed I was with this offering from Allagash Brewing Co. Described as their flagship beer, I thought this would have had a lot more character than a flat, bitter gunmetal flavor. With no markings on the bottle to give me an idea as to a "best before" date, I can only hope this particular bottle was simply past its prime and not the norm.

3.72/5  rDev -10.4%

75 cl bottle. Poured a nice orangy-yellow that started pretty clear but once the entire bottle was split between two tumblers, the color turned even cloudier with a big thicket of white foam. Aroma of malted wheat, orange zest and coriander typical of the style. Seemed to have a watery aftertaste yet that mouthfeel told me that this one seemed to have more body that most Belgian whites. Hmmm... enigmatic. Very drinkable, though. I'd buy one again.

4.02/5  rDev -3.1%

lumpy weird looking white head, over a nice looking bright yellow beer. very cirtrusy smell, a bit bready with a hint of cloves. the taste is also very fruity, i pick up lemon, grape, and a hint of banana with the cloves coming through bit in the taste too. this yeast provides a nice flavor as well. mouthfeel is a little thin but my no means bad, just feel like it should have a little more body. I could put away a number of these in one sitting so i'm givving it a pretty high drinkability

3.85/5  rDev -7.2%

Presentation: 12oz. brown bottle; no "bottled on" or "best by" date; no ABV %; purchased as part of a ten beer "Summer Brews" sampler pack from Cost Plus for $7.99.

Appearance: Pours a hazy, straw-colored gold; sudsy, snow-white head; a good c-cup's worth of lace; decent to good head retention.

Aroma: Nicely of bananas, cloves, pepper and coriander with a hint of caramel like sweetness.

Taste: Faintly sweet upfront; primary flavor characteristics are of banana, clove, pepper and yeast; hints of coriander, orange rind and lemon in there as well; lightly floral; medium bodied with a slightly slick mouthfeel.

Notes: Really enjoyed this.

3.55/5  rDev -14.5%

Color - Cloudy, warm yellow glow
Head - Large, fluffy pillow, stark white
Nose - Spices, pepper, hay and yeast
Taste - Light wheat flavors, cloves, a very clean profile with a soft, fairly rich flavor. Some banana and yeast notes have a small say as well.
Carbonation - a bit fizzy and very tight
Mouthfeel - light and a little slick

Overall - A fine (and dandy) brew. Yippidee doo!

3.94/5  rDev -5.1%

This beer pours a hazy dark yellow color with a thin off-white head. Very little lacing. Aroma is very spicy with pepper, coriander and some citrus. Light-bodied and crisp with a spicy and fruity character, with yeast flavor as well. The finish is sweet, fruity and clean. This is a solid Wit.

2.69/5  rDev -35.2%

Pours a cloudy straw-golden color with a light, creamy head. Spicy nose with a hint of banana and coriander. More spiciness on the palate, although I can't pick out any specific flavors. Progresses from spicy to bitter with a dry finish. Decent mouthfeel, especially with the tingly feeling all of the spice gives. Overall, though, I'm not really a fan. It lacks the overt coriander and pleasant spice blending of Hoegaarden or Celis White, or the subtle balance of Wittekerke. Probably not going to buy this one again.

4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

For some reason this was much better on tap. It was much fuller in body and the flavors worked together much better than the 12 oz. bottle version. Poured a cloudy yellow color with a sudsy, loose head with big bubbles. Smell was much wheatier without the veggie-like smells of the bottle. Tons of musty yeast worked in with a bit of a bready finish. The taste was refreshing yet filling with a harvesty wheat flavor and just a slight bit of cloves and orange/lemon to give it a proper spice for a autumn eve. Mouthfeel was much thicker and creamier with just as much carbonation. I think I am starting to see what others do in this beer. Since I was so dissapointed with the bottle version I was afraid to try this, but I'm glad I did.

Appearance: Hazy light golden color. Thin white head.

Aroma: Banana esters and spiciness on the nose.

Taste: Dry and crisp. No single flavor dominates, although there are some yeasty flavors present.

Mouthfeel: Coating, but on the thin side, with a lingering finish.

Drinkablilty: Not a beer for me. Still have not attained an enjoyment for this style.

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

Yes, this beer rules. Appearance is that of a typical wit. Unfortunately, not much of a head, but I really could care less with a beer of this caliber. With a wonderfully refreshing yeast and subtle spice flavor, perfectly carbonated mouthfeel, perfect ABV, this makes a great session brew. Also would make a good "crossover" beer as it's virtually impossible not to like it.

4.67/5  rDev +12.5%

WONDERFUL! An exceptional beer. The aroma has hints of banana, corriander and orange. The combination of orange & corriander make the Belgian White one of my favorite beer styles. This is equal to the old Celis White or Hoegaarden White. It's no wonder this just won a gold medal at the GABF!

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Murky pale golden hue. Solid, burly porcelain white head leaves steadfast lace. Vibrant combination of orange peel and sweetly herbal coriander dominates the aroma, although a tepid clove undertone adds a mildly phenolic contrast. Mellow yeast must and banana esters surface as the beer warms. Well rounded and judiciously spiced aromawise. Brusque snap of bready sweet malt initially in flavor yields to a soft melange of curacao bitterness, gentle clove, and a balmy, lemon like acidity. Residual sweetness augments as it warms as does the subtle banana ester component, eventually lending an agreeable, mellow banana bread impression late. Lightly bodied overall, but pleasantly viscous, and slightly silky from both the suspended yeast and oat glucans. Finishes mostly clean, with fleeting hints of candied lemon and freshly ground coriander. Allagash White is a superbly spiced wit that sits very softly on the palate. A bit tame in yeast derived character, but highly enjoyable and tasty nonetheless. Spot on.

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

Batch #7 (750 mL corked and caged bottle)

Pillowy, pure white head atop a hazy, golden offering. The orange-citrus kick in the nose previews the beautiful taste of this favorite beer. Very mellow wheat tones, with a nice coriander touch in the finish. This is a gorgeous beer, with perfectly matched citrus, spice, wheat, and yeast, and a distinctive, noticeable effect from the curacao orange peel. An all-time great.

Part #2 of the Z-Test Adventure.

4.12/5  rDev -0.7%

Served in the 12 oz. bottle. The color is golden, unfiltered and cloudy, with a wisp of white head. Smell is very yeasty with the wheat and clove smell. The taste is dominated by the wheat, much more so than other wits, with hints of spicing. Mouthfeel is VERY well carbonated. Drinkability-wise, could definitely have a few more.

Not my favorite witbier, but certainly a good one. Hopefully, this will be the first of many Allagash reviews. I may well have this wit again.

Allagash White from Allagash Brewing Company