Allagash White - Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Witbier |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Our interpretation of a traditional Belgian wheat beer. Brewed with a generous portion of wheat and spiced with coriander and Curacao orange peel, this beer is fruity, refreshing and slightly cloudy in appearance.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 4,454 | Reviews: 1,304

4.23/5  rDev +1.9%

The beer is mildly hazy and appears a straw yellow color. The head is pure white and measures nearly an inch thick, leaving a sheet of lacing in its wake.

The aroma offers wheat, grass, lemons, spice, malt. Appealing.

The flavor is heavily spiced, with coriander out front. Residual lemon zest and floral notes. Lingering hop bitterness. Pretty dry. Saison-like characteristics. Complex. The balance favors the spices a bit much for me, but this is consistent with the style, so no real complaints there.

Light bodied with ample carbonation. Zesty.

Overall, a solid beer and good example of the style. Another winner from Allagash.

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours pale-golden and cloudy, and got a nice whiff of something I can't exactly place, but it smells amazing. Smells like a funky hop but sweet.

The taste has a sort of spice to it, and it's delicious! The hop is a bit skunky, but not too overpowering which I like for this style. This is a very different witbier than I'm used to, but I like it.

I love the hop flavor mixed with the funkyness, and the mouthfeel is crisp and clean, as expected from the style.

Overall this beer is an awesome beer that is new tasting, and I feel it is able to be had many times while discovering new things about it.

3.81/5  rDev -8.2%

A- A cloudy yellow, nice and pleasant

S- Little citrus, mostly wheat

T- Excellent carbonation, strong wheat & yeast. A great wheat beer if it suits your fancy.

M- Incredibly light, leaves a fantastic fresh aftertaste

O- A classic beer as an alternative for those not acclimated with craft brews. To me this is the best "light" beer I have had.

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

4.82/5  rDev +16.1%

Came in a four pack of stubby brown bottles, for 8,99$ in Windham, ME. Worth it. What a beer, this would make me proud if I were American, even more if I were a Mainer. Pretty beer, sexy head and awesome body. A smell that is reminiscent of the best of Belgian Witbiers, and a taste that will not let you down, and a mouthfeel according to the levels of this taste and smell. Smooth and not as light as it seems. Worth every single penny I payed of this four pack. Legendary.

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

I have heard many good things about this brew so when I came across it last night, I pulled the trigger on a 4-pack for $9.99 at City Beverage in W-S. I am a wheat beer fanatic, but I am quickly finding out how similar they can be. Poured into a DFH pint, it poured a textbook cloudy yellow-orange with a nice one finger head and excellent lacing. The aroma is glorious with tartness, yeasty, and some black pepper lingering. The first sip reminded me of another wit right away, Natty Greenes Wildflower. Extremely smooth, great yeast flavor that I love so much, pepper on the finish, and good carbonation. What I really like about this particular wit is the lack of citrus. Some other that I have had are loaded with banana, orange, and/or lemons. This is just a great wheat beer.
I see where it gets it's world class label, definitely in my top 5 wits, but not at the top of the list. DFH Namaste still has it beat IMO. Prost!

4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

Pours a mostly transparent yellow color with a one finger head. Head quickly receedes, lots of quickly rising carbonation visible in the body. Smell is light, but I get some citrus and phenols. Taste starts with a smooth sweetness, then I get a tickle of carbonation, a bit of orange in the finish. Mouthfeel is a bit on the lighter side. Overall, a great beer, stands up will in a world of double IPAs with a nice balance between simplicity and complexity. It is certainly a refreshing change.

2.5/5  rDev -39.8%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Allagash White from Allagash Brewing Company