Allagash White - Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash WhiteAllagash White

Allagash Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Witbier |  5.00% ABV

Our interpretation of a traditional Belgian wheat beer. Brewed with a generous portion of wheat and spiced with coriander and Curacao orange peel, this beer is fruity, refreshing and slightly cloudy in appearance.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Allagash White Alström Bros
unclejimbay

Allagash White
Allagash Brewing Company
Style: Witbier
ABV: 5.00 % (labelled as 5.2%)
bottle>pint glass, live review 3/23/09

A 3.5, first pour had no sediment, last pour had sediment but less than most wits. Clean pale straw color, okay head, respectable lacing.
S 4.0, spicy citrus and sice, notes of mild coriander, very mild sweet aroma,. Brew day malt aroma finish after tasting.
T 4.5, very excellent taste - but very different than most wits, more light malt tastes than wheat. citrus and spice notes to follow.
MF 4.0 high carbo, medium body
D 4.0 cleanest witbier to date in look and taste, great subtle balanced taste, unique and respectable for the style

03-23-2009 19:29:27 | More by unclejimbay
magine

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

I have been hearing such great things about this beer and couldnt wait to taste it.

Poured a 12 oz bottle into a pilsner glass. Great golden color and thick chunky head with great lacing and head retention.

This beer smells of citrus and lemon.

The taste is great - taste of citrus and lemon almost a peppery aftertast with a dry after taste.

This beer has excellent drinkability - very well rounded flavors and aftertaste. I could easily make a nice long session with this beer. I am a little partial to this type of beer (witbier) so I really enjoyed this one. Hoegaarden was my favorite Witbier's before this; this is now my favorite.

Please dont ruin these types of beers with a orange slice...please people.

03-18-2009 01:18:06 | More by magine
JonMich13

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A pretty simple review here. Very refreshing brew, one of my favorite warm weather session beers. Light citrus, yeast, spice and grass. Perfect for summer evenings on the deck with the smell of fresh cut lawn all around. Clean and crisp mouth with and finishes dry. Infinitely drinkable and delicious.

03-17-2009 23:26:42 | More by JonMich13
Newmerator

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

This was yet another that for me held quite a bit of hype, that in my opinion was not lived up to.

A. Pale-yellow, hazy/cloudy, white head, good lace

S. Very yeasty, citrus/lemon dominant smell, coriander?

T. Rather similar to the smell. yeasty, citrus, still lemon.

M. silky, light body,

D. good beer. Could have a few, nothing too great though. But definitely a beer that I could drink through the night, considering it's low alc content. I don't see why they would price it so high however.

03-16-2009 04:07:08 | More by Newmerator
bsend

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

Served on tap in pint (they were out of Allagash glasses) with a wedge of orange on the rim.

When my server brought my beer to me, I almost immediately noticed the cloudy yellow color. It had a almost no head on it as it was poured by my server.

The smell was sweet, and delightful. A mix of spice and orange could be clearly smelled.

The taste reinforced my olfactory glands.Immediately, I received a nice orange (with additional citrus) flavor followed by traditional Belgian wit spices such as corriander. Well balanced in terms of flavor and refreshment.

The mouthfeel worked well. The cloudy texture was near perfection. The citrus from the orange wedge left a tangy flavor on the tip of my tongue.

This is a very drinkable beer on tap or out of a 750 ml bottle. It refreshes while providing well balanced flavor.

Final Thoughts - Allagash scores big here. By far my favorite Belgian-inspired American made witbier. Love this one time and time again. Recommended.

03-10-2009 14:49:25 | More by bsend
DannyS

4.53/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served in a tulip glass, poured from a 12 oz. bottle.

A - An excellent straw yellow with slight orange tint. A good amount of fluffy resilient head leaving lots of lacing.

S - bready, citrusy, spicy. In a word, lovely.

T - Slight bitterness but otherwise A nice light yet flavorful wit. lemon and orange come at you first, leaving you to take in the backing notes of spice and yeast. Very balanced. a slight hit of hops, but not enough to overpower the other flavorings.

M - Soft yet effervescent carbonation and a light mouthfeel make this one very easy on the palate, but it is slightly watery.

D - Great for having more than one, especially with its modest ABV. But this isn't one you want to disrespect by not savoring it.

overall - Just a hair below Troublette and above Ommegang Witte and Hoegaarden in my top Witbier list. I will definitely keep an eye out for this one in the future. A delectable brew.

03-09-2009 00:09:35 | More by DannyS
Reino

Oregon

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

Appearance- 12oz bottle (first time I've seen Allagash this size) poured into my Oregon Trail pint glass. I'm pretty surprised to find a twist off top. Pours out a cloudy gradient of brown, orange and straw-yellow from top to bottom. Thin yellow highlights come through around the bottom of the glass. The pour, swirl, pour method leaves me with two fingers of white fluffy head. The head settles fairly slowly and leaves some decent lacing. I drank a Mothership Wit before this, and White's body puts that beer to shame.

Smell- Fragrant orange and lemon zest dominate the nose with the wheat hiding in the background along with the coriander and pepper. The softness of the spice blends gorgeously well with the citrus resulting in a nice sugary presence in the nose. My only complaint would be the intensity of the aroma. Otherwise, well done.

Taste- Coriander and pepper at the front with soft wheat, followed by light citrus notes coming in towards the finish and riding out on the wheat. The citrus and coriander almost form a mango-ish flavor when combined. It has a great balance between sweet and spicy. As far as wits go, the balance that White has is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for, the bee's knees, if you will.

MF- Crisp without being too thin or overly carbonated. Dry finish that keeps you reaching for another sip, but not feeling puckered out.

Drinkability- Bud Light has nothing on Allagash White's drinkability. I'm not a huge fan of the style, but I enjoyed the hell out of this beer. I think I can safely say this is the best wit I've had to date. I'll have to revisit some others, but the aroma, balance, and feel are what other breweries should be aiming for. Allagash usually turns me off with their price tags, but if they put out more affordable 12oz bottles like this, I'd gladly make them a go to brewery of mine.

03-06-2009 03:51:03 | More by Reino
Kevuas

3.83/5  rDev -7.7%

I found this beer to be a solid Witte door-opener. It was very simple in terms of the conglomerate of flavors that comprised it and thus I rated it very high on drinkability. This is the beer I would drink if I were to decide to consume a 144 ounces of goodness on a Friday night. It was very easy to consume and very flavorful.

03-06-2009 02:10:52 | More by Kevuas
Thanby

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

Pale and a little cloudy, not much retention. Smells of good Belgian yeast, wheat, butter, some citrus and spices. First taste is pretty much the same, the Belgian yeast is my favorite part and the various citrus flavors (orange, lemon and a little apricot) surface slowly and bring a pleasant complexity. Very refreshing, lighter body, very easy to drink, and a great example of a traditional Belgian Wit.

03-06-2009 00:40:27 | More by Thanby
JJBlanche

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

This was the first Allagash I tried, and it certainly won't be the last. I'm going to actively seek this brand out next time I hit the beer store.

A - Very nice. Cloudy like I'd expect a Belgie to be, and it's got those yeasty dregs that I associate -- rightly or wrongly -- with quality beer.

S - Very spicy and complex. Perhaps a little heavy in this regard, but that's nit picking.

T - Exceptional, period. The spiciness is there in the taste, but it's nice and rounded out. No edges like some inferior whites. Best of the best within the style.

M - Perhaps a little slick, but ultimately good.

D - Good, but I really can't picture myself having more than two or three. Of course, I generally don't drink more than two or three (of anything) in one sitting.

03-04-2009 07:27:04 | More by JJBlanche
alpinebryant

Connecticut

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured a clear light golden color with a small head. Very yeasty scent with citrus and spicy smell.

Tastes Belgian / wheat very spicy with orange, honey pepper.

I could instantly feel spring approaching when this was first sipped. It lived up to its reputation, a pleasure to taste

03-04-2009 03:48:04 | More by alpinebryant
Coorskid33

Rhode Island

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

A~ Beautiful dark yellow, like a gold pint sized brick. 1'' head that I hope I poured correctly in that I swirled the yeast like the bottle told me. Cloudy beer.

S~ Like spicy beer. I thought it smelled like BBQ chips, but my girl said it just smelled like beer. lol.

T~ Holy Crap! This beer tastes amazing! Reminds me of eating in New Orleans. Spicy, but not over done. Taste like a solid Belgian beer, but better. Wow this is good.

M~ Oiliness with flavor is quickly overwhelmed by the carbonation. Good overall.

D~ Awesome brew. Allagash Brew Co, Nice Job . You have a new fan. I'm going to need more than the single I bought in my mix a six. :o)

02-28-2009 18:19:20 | More by Coorskid33
adamette

4.15/5  rDev 0%

Another live review. Poured from a bottle purchased as one of a 4 pack at Heinen's in WIlloughby Hills, Ohio the other day. I think that I paid something like $11.99 for the 4 pack. Poured into my Ommegang Witte tumbler.

A Incredible look of a nice, generous white head that hung around for a minute and a half and generous yeast floating around in the honey yellow translucent body.

S Nice, inviting light sweet wheat smell with some spices. I find that many many wheats (Left Hand Haystack, Sam Adams White Ale, Ommegang Witte) have a suprisingly similar, inviting smell.

T A pleasing light sweet wheat with coriander and other spices. This is very true to the style and this is one of the better Witbiers that I have had.

M Appropriately smooth but on the thin side.

D Excellent. If only Bud Light was this drinkable. Really, though, at this ABV and nice, inviting, pleasing taste I could have many of these.

Notes: What I am not sure is the price. Sure enough on tap it would be even more costly but at about $3 a bottle it is a bit extreme.

02-27-2009 00:03:48 | More by adamette
davexisxrabid

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

On tap at Johnny's in Highland Park.

Poured a cloudy golden straw color with a thick white head. Good lacing on the glass.

Aroma was of an orange-wheat-yeast combination. Very appealing.

Taste was very similar to the aroma. Big kick of citrus-orange flavor mixed with wheat. Very low hop bitterness perceived.

Good medium-full bodied flavor, which I kinda didn't expect. I honestly expected this brew to be a little bit on the lighter side, but was pleasantly surprised. The flavors don't linger on the palate.

Easily a very drinkably witbier. Good flavor, not heavy on the palate, and doesn't wreck your palate. Looking forward to more of these...

02-23-2009 16:42:38 | More by davexisxrabid
remllof

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle. Pours with a decent white head that fades into decent lacing. Color is cloudy dark yellow with little transparency. The carbination is fairly low. Smell is of sweet yeast and fruity scents very nice. Taste is slightly sweet, with yeast and some spices, just tasty. Finishes with hints of the spices but clean. Mouthfeel is very good, has some consistency to it, not too thick very easy to drink. This beer to me is a great afternoon beer, not too heavy, refreshing, and very a wonderful taste.

02-22-2009 20:10:31 | More by remllof
BARFLYB

4.65/5  rDev +12%

12oz bottle poured into a penn pilsner glass. This is the last one from my 4-pack, very fresh.

A- Allagash white pours out a very hazy yellow with light tan qualities. I'm sure the addition of all the bottle setiment would make this appear more white, but i'm not going there this time. A nice one inch white head comes through leaving rings of lace around the glass. A nice amount of fizzing bubbles are seen at the surface.

S- One of the greatest noses on a wit style beer ever. A very well rounded nose consisting of spices such as coriander & some clove. Some citrus smells such as orange peel lemon zest with some yeastiness to boot. A bunch of wheat as well. Not really picking up any hops but they got to be in there, Right? Overall a perfect nose for a wit.

T- Allagash White tastes as good as it smells, with the afforementioned scents coming through in taste just as explosive. This is not overly spiced with the coriander taking the lead and other spices following. The yeast and wheat taste are a huge factor in this with some malts calming them down eventually. I get a nice aftertaste of oranges and lemons and a touch of hops. Perfect!!

M- An extremely well balanced spice and malt presence make the mouthfeel almost perfect. This has a very smooth texture to it even after drinking a few bottles. This has a nice crispness to it with some carbonation. The spices linger for a while and this wit is a bit on the dry side.

D- This is an extremely drinkable wit and sessionable at that with a mere 5%. One of the best examples of the style. I would drink this all day, come to think of it, i have. The balance of flavors jump out at you without overwelcoming their stay.

Allagash white was actually the first craft brew I drank many years ago and i keep coming back to it year after year. I can't get enough of it.

02-12-2009 20:27:50 | More by BARFLYB
madtowndmb1

Wisconsin

3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

Poured a clear gold with no head.I got a lot of wheat on the nose with a touch of citrus. The taste is nice, wheaty with a little balance of honey sweetness. The sweetness was made this beer a good drinker, I could drink several of these and go on with my day!

02-12-2009 15:22:37 | More by madtowndmb1
joshsbeerblog

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

cloudy, yellow pour, nice head. similar smell to many belgian beers, and this is no exception: yeasty, banana, and some mild spices. some faint banana in taste but it is really a gentle citrus flavor that defines this one. i like how spices like coriander and nutmeg are relegated to the background. fizzy mouthfeel, but incredibly easy to drink -- this is the strongest component of the beer. i find allagash white is a great introduction to more complex beers for newbies. always a pleasant surprise to find this on tap.

02-11-2009 03:05:58 | More by joshsbeerblog
mralphabet

3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

12 oz bottle Poured into Pint Glass

A: A beautiful cloudy...yet bright, yellow body almost electric in color. About a 1 1/2 finger head with very nice lacing that lasted the entire glass.

S: Lemons, some orange peel and spice.... I'm also getting quite a bit of yeast in the mix.

T: Pretty much follows the nose...with the spice really comes through at the end. Very nicely balanced

M: Somewhat heavier than I thought it would be... Creamy and smooth. Very nice.

D: Very nice brew. Somewhat complex with the flavors and mouthfeel. I will be grabbing more of these...

02-09-2009 00:30:25 | More by mralphabet
McClungbrew2

West Virginia

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

Appearance - Hazey staw yellow. stark white creamy head.

Smell - Spicey with wheat malt aroma. No hop aroma.

Taste - Sweet wheat malt. Spicey clove, slightly phenolic.

Mouthfeel - Light body. Zesty. Mild spicey wheat malt aftertaste.

Drinkability - Very good beer.

02-08-2009 01:24:15 | More by McClungbrew2
JohnQVegas

Tennessee

Bottle.

Pours a murky gold with a fluffy white head that doesn't go away.

Aroma is spicy yeast, citrus, cereal-like wheat.

Taste is wheat, crisp citrus and coriander, spicy yeast - classic for the style, but fairly big and full. Some banana as well, meshed in with the citrus. Finish is dry and yeasty, with a lingering spicy tartness.

Mouthfeel is light but creamy at the same time, never watery. Delicious.

02-05-2009 14:05:29 | More by JohnQVegas
Nascartailgatefa

4.4/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

On tap from Rattle and Hum NY. Pours with a nice thick heavy head which lasts fairly long. Thick lacing. Color is a pale dark yellow and very cloudy. Smell is pleasant with an earthy tone. Taste is also very pleasant with both hints of both wheat and citrus. As a slightly heavier beer it is filling but still maintains good drinkability. Would definitely drink this beer again.

02-04-2009 22:16:17 | More by Nascartailgatefa
mcarroll10177

4.85/5  rDev +16.9%

One of my all time favorites.

A- lemon yellow with pale white head.

S- Lemon zest and fresh grass a truly inviting fresh scent

T- perfection lemon fruilt up front with a slightest bitterness and a clean refreshing finsh.

M clean carbination resonates in the mouth verf nice

D- excellent this could be drunk every day and I would not get tired of it. What a great great beer.

02-04-2009 16:17:47 | More by mcarroll10177
ibbjamin

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Paid $8.49 for a 750 ml bottle from BevMo in San Jose, CA. Poured into a pilsener glass. Batch #50.

Leaves a two inch white head of very fine bubbles after a standard pour. Much carbonation as expected. Cloudy yellow straw color. Excellent frothy head retention and thick lacing.

Lemon citrus nose, pale malts, spice, wheat and bready yeast aromas blend together quite nicely.

Taste is quite citrusy, somewhat sweet and rather pleasant. Even some bananas mixed up with spice and mellow yeast/wheat.

Mouth is very carbonated, yet not overpowering. Light bodied and quite drinkable. Finish is rather crisp, yet there is a light citrus aftertaste.

The best wheat beer variety I've tried to date. The mellowness of the yeast and wheat in combination with how well balanced this one is, put it in a class of its own.

02-02-2009 01:23:54 | More by ibbjamin
Dulliwhig

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

A - Hazy, golden, thick white head, creamy lacing, ultrafine bubbles

S - Pungent lillies, buttered sourdough, spicy brightness, citrus fruits

T - Clean, crisp grapefruit, spicy complexity, slight bitterness - refreshing

M - Medium to light body, bountiful carbonation, crisp

D - This would be a great beer to crack open on the beach!

01-31-2009 01:32:34 | More by Dulliwhig