Allagash White - Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash WhiteAllagash White

Allagash Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Witbier |  5.00% ABV

Our interpretation of a traditional Belgian wheat beer. Brewed with a generous portion of wheat and spiced with coriander and Curacao orange peel, this beer is fruity, refreshing and slightly cloudy in appearance.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Allagash White Alström Bros
Osiris9588

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

12 oz bottle, no date. Pours a cloudy pinapple juice color into a pilsner glass. The white head is pretty thin, but stick around for awhile and lacing streaks down the sides of the glass.

It smells very Belgian: yeast, clove, lemon and orange peel. The flavor follws the aroma, pretty strong on the spice, plust a little creamy banana notes--seems very faithful to the style.

The mouth is light and vibrant, offerring some solid complexity. It is extremely drinkable. Good stuff.

10-30-2006 20:02:34 | More by Osiris9588
dherling

3.8/5  rDev -8.4%

Had this on tap a while back, now had it in a bottle. Looks a lot better out of the bottle, hazy yellow gold, with a nice luxurious looking head, great lacing. I get lots of stuff in the nose, licorice, anise, pepper, coriander, yeqast, maple syrup. The taste is a little more straightforward, mostly malt sweetness, wheat, a little spice. Has a good mouthfeel, highly carbonted which works here makign this fairly refreshing.

10-30-2006 16:58:51 | More by dherling
loving44

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured light amber with a light foamy head.

smell of citrus, sweet wheat malt, squash, and lots of yeast. very crisp.

Tastes of citrus and clean wheat. Very smooth and well balanced. Crisp finish that is a bit dry. A very slight dry bitterness lingers.

light and airy mouthfeel.

this beer is insanely drinkable.... I went throgh the large corked and caged bottle to fast for my own good. Very tasty and refreshing stuff!! Recommended!

10-26-2006 07:21:10 | More by loving44
eballard

Washington

3.55/5  rDev -14.5%

A golden pale yellow with a light lacing. A very wheat smell with a hint of sweet fruit. It has a sweet yeast and grain flavor but a surprisingly little amount of wheatiness. This makes the beer seem far more balanced then other wheat beers. The beer has a crisp carbonation and a smooth clean feel. In all I would say this is a fine white and worth a try.

10-23-2006 23:32:00 | More by eballard
Cadyfatcat

3.58/5  rDev -13.7%

A light cloudy orange, with perhaps a slight green hue.
Smells of orange and clove.
Fluffy mouthfeel, sweet orange with a hint of gapefruit, fennel seed, and of course the characteristic wheat flavor. Body is rather watery and taste is relatively unlively. Nothing about this beer jumps out at me, I have had much better beers of this style and much better from Allagash. Still a better than average brew, very refreshing and drinkable.

10-21-2006 03:25:27 | More by Cadyfatcat
foureyedgeek

3.68/5  rDev -11.3%

Another wit out of season, when will I learn? Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tall weissbeer glass.

Doing the pour, swirl, dump method shown on the bottle yields a big puffy white head hat foams and froths before calming into a light single finger topping. Nice and cloudy, straw color.

Smells of citrus and spice and everything nice. Well, not everything nice, since it doesn't smell like hops, but it shouldn't because its a wibier. But I digress...

Doesn't taste quite as spicy as it smells. It's got the citrus going there in the front and a nice spicy finish, but I gotta say this is more a treat for my nose.

Light mouthfeel, crsip finish and plenty of carbonation make for an easy drinker but I feel its almost too light. No, scratch that, its not the mouthfeel hat gets me, I think I'm just wanting a little more out of the taste.

Allagash, known as 'New England's Original Belgian Style Brewery' has made their stance known, but I gotta say that I prefer a certain other New England Belgian Style brewery's witbier offering a litle more, original or not.

Doesn't really matter, this is a tasty beer that I'd be happy to have again, though I think next time I'll get it in the summer.

10-20-2006 00:37:49 | More by foureyedgeek
jrdegriselles

Colorado

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

On tap at the Great Lost Bear in POrtland Maine.

A pale yellow color with a lemon smell and taste of the top. It was very smooth with a taste of barely and and a hint of lemon and orange. It went down very smooth. Not much head on it. Highly recommend it.

10-11-2006 15:13:08 | More by jrdegriselles
doubleipa

Georgia

3.48/5  rDev -16.1%

Pale yellow in color. Almost zero head that completely disappeared. Clove, allspice, some banana. Expected a little more aroma. Like many Allagash brews, this one was quite carbonated. Not like the 10th Anniversary, though. Although I like most Allagash beers, I wouldn't lug these back in my luggage.

10-03-2006 15:45:36 | More by doubleipa
terrabyte

Wisconsin

4.8/5  rDev +15.7%

Pours a slightly cloudy dark yellow beer. Not much of a head. Take special attention to their helpful instructions on the side of the label:
1) Pour
2) Swirl
3) Pour Yeast

Great idea. Now that top is cloudier.

At first I thought I was smelling a bit of skunk a la Heineken. However, after it breathed it smelled spicy with a hint of orange.

The taste is a great balance. A balance of what, I'm not sure. Tastes like it smells, so I suppose a nice balance of orange, spices, and yeast, without any overbearing wheat flavor. It's not too carbonated, and goes down great.

This is an amazing beer from a style I'm not very familiar with. I would definitely work this into my rotation of my normal doppelbocks. Yay variety!

09-28-2006 00:07:58 | More by terrabyte
jmz62565

Connecticut

3.95/5  rDev -4.8%

Pours a cloudy light orange/yellow with a medium white foamy head. The smell is full of wheat,cloves,banana, and lemon. The taste has coriander,clove,pepper,banana,bread yeast, and lemon zest. A sublte flavor that is very good. The m/f is light with the many flavors mixing masterfully. An excellant beer from one of the top breweries in America.

09-23-2006 23:33:50 | More by jmz62565
Damian

3.63/5  rDev -12.5%

Drank from a 750 ml bottle purchased at the Allagash Brewery, Portland, ME

Poured a dense, murky, pale, straw yellow with a huge, foamy head that lasted throughout most of the drink. Tons of sticking, cascading lacing.

Smell was rich, spicy, yeasty (like warn baking bread) and fruity with strong notes of orange zest, coriander and allspice.

Taste was quite flavorful. It started creamy and somewhat sweet before the coriander, clove and lemon zest become apparent. Quite hoppy, dry and fairly bitter on the back end. Aftertaste was hoppy as well, yet short lived.

Mouthfeel was somewhat creamy yet quite thin, and the carbonation seemed to be a bit overdone.

09-23-2006 05:00:43 | More by Damian
Wasatch

Utah

12oz. bottle

A - Pours a clould yellow color, nice carbonation, tiny head, some lacing throughout the drink.

S - Scents of hops, slight malts, citrus, yeast, and some slight spices.

T - The taste is kinda hoppy, and slightly tangy. Nice clean/crisp finish.

M - Medium body.

D - Drinkable. This is a nice brew and my first Allagash at that, will definitely buy some more and others from this brewery.

09-20-2006 00:33:35 | More by Wasatch
emerge077

3.9/5  rDev -6%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle, compared to a draught pour from last night. Spice level and richness is definitely more noticeable in the bottle version.

Hazy lemon body, thick foam settles into choppy irregular peaks of lace. Perfect level of spice in the nose..coriander, nutmeg, lemon zest. Nicely aromatic in a way that compliments the taste without overshadowing it. Tea-like almost on the palate, mild yet spicy. Earthy spice and wheat come through halfway. Smooth and thin mouthfeel, lending itself to sessioning a 4-pack or 750 easily. Best domestic Wit available.

Allagash White is quickly becoming my Witbier of choice...

2011 draft sample: A bit soapy, thin bodied. Mild earthy coriander and earthy spice, quenching. Today I don't hold it in high regard as I used to.

09-17-2006 02:57:10 | More by emerge077
jasonjlewis

4.53/5  rDev +9.2%

Appearance: Nice cloudy golden colr with great head and retention.

Smell is nice and heavenly. Lemon and other spices come through. VERY inticing.

Taste:Several spices in the beer. Nice and refreshing and smooth.

Mouthfeel: nice and crisp

Drinkability, easily a session beer.

Goes good with lemon or without.

09-14-2006 05:09:08 | More by jasonjlewis
ghostmech007

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

12 oz. short twist bottle that evens has directions on how to pour beer. Very cool.

A cloudy palish yelllowish with big creamy lace that hugged the glass. Awesome sexiness in the glass.

A huge spice mix hits you in the nose when you hold it to your nose. Lemon hints with the standard orange peel are there.

Smooth with a medium body. Carbinations cuts the flavors at first but subsides quickly. Spices galore and the orange is dominate troughout. Barely and wheat are in there but the spices still power through. The hops are very sutble but in there and the wheat has the flavors linger for a while but then fades to a smooth
almost dry finish.

I really enjoyed this. I recommend it to anyone.

09-13-2006 20:22:53 | More by ghostmech007
atozymurgy

Maine

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Appearance a cloudy, opaque honeyed gold, like the color of acorn squash. A slow-fading, but not huge, head. Leaves lots of lace.

The nose a clovey banana, very sweet, rich. A little like a hefe, but still recognizably a wit due to some citrusy notes. Extremely interesting and pleasant.

Flavor slightly sweet, just a little spice (my wife says nutmeg, I say coriander and/or cardamon). Some citrus here too, orange. Nice malt backbone and finish.

Full body, quite high carbonation, quenching.

Overall this was an excellent beer, highly drinkable and refreshing. Well suited to food pairings like salads, soft cheeses, certain desserts (cheesecake, key lime pie).

(Batch 27, picked up at the brewery)

09-09-2006 13:29:52 | More by atozymurgy
bditty187

Nebraska

3.58/5  rDev -13.7%

Bright, hazy white-gold in hue; the liquid is absolutely dead-on for the style. I am impressed! Sticky white foam, at the apex the head was only one finger tall. The head retention was solid, a small cap lasted the entire consumption. The subsequent lacing was spotty and fairly widespread. Overall, the appearance is quite attractive and only the details could be approved upon.

At first the nose seemed very wheaty with bready/doughy-yeast undercurrents. I really liked it. In the middle notes of lemons begin, which was quite nice. Just before I was ready to write-off the nose because it lacked spices needed for it to be a true Wit the spices arrived at the finish. Only suggestions of orange peel and coriander could be found but it was perfectly blended with all the previous aromas. Moderate potency; spot-on for the style, I can’t wait to take a sip.

The palate is juicy and bright, which I like. I was a bit saddened by the thinness of the wheat/malt profile. I like my Wits to be bready, yeasty, and wheaty. I didn’t find this one to be very wheaty or bready, oh well. Sure, it was tasty but it lacks depth, IMO. Sweet lemon notes upfront, some coriander in the middle, orange notes near the finish with excess malty sweetness. IMO, Allagash White is closer to Ommegang Witte (which did not impress me) than it is St. Bernardus Witbier (which might be the benchmark for the style). Hell, at least it is better than Blue Moon (which really isn’t half bad). The bottom-line is simple, I guess I find the palate incomplete, there isn’t enough wheat for the lemony sweetness and there isn’t enough spice for either of those. I don’t find this to be a very balanced Wit… but it tasty and that is really all that matters.

Medium-light in body, low carbonation, slick mouthfeel, for some reason most Wits have a mouthfeel that doesn’t work for me. I always want more carbonation; I want some bubbles to scrub the spices and sweetness away. I’m not finding much of that here. Oh well.

With all my nitpicking about the palate and mouthfeel I can’t knock this beer at all when it comes to drinkability! Wow, I bet I could kill a six-pack without thinking. I’d love to try this beer on-tap. I want to drink this beer with brunch. I bitched a lot but I sure did enjoy my sample. Thank you hoffman!

09-07-2006 01:09:31 | More by bditty187
DrJay

4.15/5  rDev 0%

Golden colour with a bit of haze and a rocky white head. Thick, clumpy lacing and good head retention. Citrusy aroma with notes of cloves, spicy hops, sweet malt, and lemon zest. Lemony flavour with a floral hop middle. Spices hit towards the end, along with a dry bitterness. Lightish body with moderate carbonation. Not bad at all and quite enjoyable on a holiday afternoon. I now expect this kind of quality whenever I try a new beer from Allagash and I haven't been disappointed yet.

09-04-2006 20:13:03 | More by DrJay
tonistruth

Nevada

4.15/5  rDev 0%

A- light yellow with an orange tint, little head, little rentent, little lacing. Cloudy with yeast visible

S- mild spice, sweet fruit flavors, wheat

T- spicy kick, wheat malts, orange flavor, earthy throughout, sweet at first with a tart bitter finish, flavors are mellow and soft

M- carbonation tickles, smooth, light on the palate

D- mellow refreshing brew, well brewed, stands out from other wit's I've had, i'd grab this one again.

09-04-2006 17:40:29 | More by tonistruth
wcudwight

3.03/5  rDev -27%

Had on-tap at the Mellow Mushroom in Blowing Rock NC
Crystal clear golden yellow. Solid bright white head that retains well. Lot's of carbonation induced lacing.
Smells of lemon and orange peel.
Lot's of lemon, orange and other citrus flavors mixed with some spices. All of this is mixed over a bready background. The flavors just don't seem to mix well with me.
Feels ok in the mouth, but has a bit too much carbonation and a zestiness in the feel that kind of turns me off.
This is a flavorful beer, but the flavors just don't seem to mix well. Needs something to balance them out. Overall a decent beer, but I don't know if I'll try this one again.

09-04-2006 04:31:22 | More by wcudwight
LooksCouldKiilll

4.88/5  rDev +17.6%

This is my absolute favorite beer! With a lemon in it! Oh my god! Highly reccomended!

It's a very nice light beer. It's great with anything, and most of all it's refreshing. It's the perfect beer with any meal. This beer is very clean and crisp. Definitely add a lemon while drinking this beer.

08-31-2006 21:15:49 | More by LooksCouldKiilll
WeymouthMike

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Appearance is a very light cloudy yellow color similar to that of a lemonade. Head is white and creamy about 1/4" remains throughout the session. Smells of sweet fruit, bananas with some coriander or orange peels. Taste is sweet with somewhat of a peppery finish with an orange like taste being the most dominant flavor. Mouthfeel is light and dry. Drinkability is pretty high as alcohol is light but this is an easy drinking great summer beer.

08-31-2006 00:42:58 | More by WeymouthMike
akorsak

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

This is a 750 mL C&C bottle served chilled in a Troegenator seidel.

A: The ale has a vigourous head and substantial lacing. The color is pale yellow with great deal of haze.

S: The smell is somewhat disappointing, as not a lot emerges. What does come out is lemony citrus with hints of pepper.

T: Curacao and coriander spices take control early. The spices are soft, giving the beer a silky soft taste. The ale also has a long dry finish.

M: Very pleasing, the spices are subtle and impart a very nice flavor.

D: Very drinkable, this style is great during the summer and this particular beer does not disappoint.

08-30-2006 12:48:09 | More by akorsak
bonbright7

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

I served this with a spicy Indian curried chicken tonight that just went over so well with my guests. The beer poured like a majestic saison, with the prescribed scents of orange, vanilla, and other fruit spices. The 2" head didn't seem to calm down until it was consumed with the delight.

My guests were happy I bought 6 bottles for the four of us as we just couldn't get enough of the great creamy taste that was dispelling the fire of the chicken. I was joking about the beer being free and glasses of water were $10...

I made a note to finish off the yeast in every bottle as the directions read on the side, which is apparently a Belgian tradition of spreading the wealth or the yeast, which I found to be mild and dry. This was a great find.

08-27-2006 23:53:13 | More by bonbright7
doppelmeup

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured a 12oz bottle into a pilsener glass.

Half inch head which receded and left a bit of lacing on the glass and a thin layer of foam on top. Very cloudy, lemony yellow color as per style.

Aromas of clove, banana, yeast, spice, very typical for a Belgian beer.

Pleasant tasting. Slight bubblegum flavor. Reminds me of a lighter version of a tripel.

Clean, crisp finish. Enough carbonation to keep it light. Very refreshing.

Very drinkable beer. One of the better witbiers I've had.

08-25-2006 22:43:19 | More by doppelmeup