Allagash White - Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Witbier |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Our interpretation of a traditional Belgian wheat beer. Brewed with a generous portion of wheat and spiced with coriander and Curacao orange peel, this beer is fruity, refreshing and slightly cloudy in appearance.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Allagash White Alström Bros
4.85/5  rDev +16.9%

With a trip to Portland ME in the upcoming months, I wanted to taste a beer from one of their finest breweries - Allagash. I was not disappointed. Poured from a 12 oz. screw cap bottle, the colors and aroma were mouth watering. A beautiful, golden straw color, my mouth watered as I awaited a tasting. Once I lifted the glass to my mouth, the smell of oranges and citrus enveloped my senses. The first taste was a blast of refreshing fruits and a touch of yeast and with east sip, I was in love.

By far one of the finest Belgian whites I've tasted, this one is a definite must for fans of this style of beer.

3.92/5  rDev -5.5%

I have been on the lookout for this beauty for some time and was glad to have a pint at the Hop Devil Grill last night.

A: Poured a cloudy pale golden with at first a foamy head with big pockets, but fell to a thin pencil line shortly afterward. Minor lacing and average retention.

S: Nose was a bevy of citrus fruits, more orange than lemon or grapefruit. Well in the rear was dashes of bready yeast.

T: Followed the nose perfectly with balanced hops and spices. Yeast is more promiment but under control, as most wit's are known to be.

M: Quite smooth, with a good watery clean finish if that makes sense.

D: Top notch from Allagash. Not as pungent or tastey as other but is still very refreshing and perfect for almost all seasons.

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

Popped the cork on the bomber and poured in a nice hazy golden brew with a terrific, full lasting head.

Tons of aroma -- sweet grain, yeast, citrus rind.

Flavors are as many and complex as it gets. Yeasty sweetness, orange (a little bitter rind), dry spices.

Medium fizziness with a tart to sour abrupt finish. Not in a bad way.

These go down very easy - great version of the style. A favorite.

3.95/5  rDev -4.8%

One of the prettiest looking beers I have seen in a while but we all know looks aren't everything so I get to know the Allagash White a little more. A sweet perfume inspires me to go in for a little more, I go 90%, it goes 10 and the sweet, carbonated taste of a Belgian wheat hits me. Pretty good kisser too. Satisfying and light, an aftertaste that makes you want more. Gorgeous looks, subtle carbonation, and light sweets that hit the tongue are what it's all about. This beer is a keeper.

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

A: An extremely cloudy yellow coloring. A thin white head with ample amount of lacing.

S: Spice and coriander are at the forefront. Also had some hints of banana and citrus. Ample amounts of yeast too.

T: Lots of spice, wheat flavors with very light amounts of citrus.

M: A light body beer, very crisp and clean.

D: One of my favorite Witbiers, very clean and crisp, perfect for summer.

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

12oz twist cap bottle. bottom of the bottle has molded into the glass, "02 08". poured into shaped pint glass.

pale, light straw color, translucent and cloudy with yeast. nice head that fades to splotchy wisps and thin ring. lacing is a bit splotchy too.

aroma of candied citrus, spices and fresh parsley. yeast and bread dough.

flavor is citrus peel with hints of tropical fruit juice. yeast is faintly nutty, then bready. bitterness is very mild, and melds with spice and parsley note. slight phenols in finish.

not thin, relatively smooth. refreshing and lively despite gentle carbonation.

3.88/5  rDev -6.5%

This is my first review in months. Blame corporate downsizing! It kinda killed my mood for a while, but I am back on my feet and drinking quality beer!!!

Anyway, this was poured into a simple pint glass.

A-A cloudy banana yellow with orange hues that come to life when held up to the light. Roughly half an inch of snow-white head and generous lacing. Lots of little floaties.
S- Very yeasty, citrusy, and spicy. Coriander and pepper come to mind. (kinda given with this style, but it's there!)
T- Spices, lemony citrus, and bitter orange peel hit the tongue. Very flavorful for the style.
M- Crisp and slightly creamy, with a sharp bite from carbonation. A bit more carbonated than other witbiers.
D- Goes down very well, but not as well as other witbiers.

I was very excited to find this brew in a 4-pack at my liquor store, I had been tempted to buy the growler for a while but the price kept scaring me away into other purchases. Unfortunately the pack was not cheap, but it was a better deal.

I still prefer Hoegaarden over this brew. I feel the Allagash had more flavor overall, but it just wasn't as smooth and drinkable as Hoegaarden, nor as cheap. 8.99 a 4 pack for a witbier isn't exactly practical, either, when I can get Hoegaarden for 7.99 for 6.

It's still a glorious offering, I would love to try it on tap!

3.64/5  rDev -12.3%

bought a single. drank. red stripe broke one, then i bought another ... pineapple, honey light aromas... a simple refreshing refined brew ... a good example of the style ...smooth ... fresh ... enjoyable .. a hit with stu and melanie on the second go...

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

A very nice Am Wit!

Poured a very uniform cloud with a nice 2 finger at 45F with fine lacing throughout. A very nice lemon zest nose dominates....The taste is truly very wide and very balanced...it just slakes on the tongue smoothly, but seems to lack a global mouthfeel. Drinkability is exceptional.

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours a foggy light gold with a little head, but lots of nice lacing. The nose has some coriander and spiciness.

The taste is exactly what a witbier should be. It's got some spiciness and some sweetness, but neither dominate. This is truly perfectly balanced. The mouthfeel is pretty crisp but just a hint of wateriness on the back side.

Drinkable? I'd say so. Delicious witbier. Can't say I've had many better.

Pours a cloudy golden.

Smell is yeasty and citrus with a little spice.

Taste is mild, but leaves you refreshed. Citrus and yeast flavors in the base, with spices like black pepper. A nice blend, flavors are not strong, but mix well.

Mouthfeel very crisp and refreshing.

This was quite drinkable. No particular element of it sticks out, but together it works, and makes a nice light summer beer.

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12 oz bottle. No freshness date on bottle.

Pours a cloudy, golden yellow. Small puffy white head that didn't last too long. Good amount of lacing though.

A nice fresh aroma of grains and fresh cut grass. A nice sweetness also.

First taste starts of a bit watery but that doesn't last too long. The yeast comes through with a slight sweetness and bready taste. There is nice balance of mild bitterness also. There is a nice sweetness of hiney at the end too. Very nice tasting.

Mouthfeel is nice... a bit watery at first but this gives way to a nice carbonation that slightly stings your tongue. Very creamy...very nice.

A nice light drinkable beer. Perfect for the summer.

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

My first Allagash White - it's a good one. Poured into an oversized wine glass (anyone else use this as their primary drinking vessel for virtually all styles?) Great aroma for a White. It contains more spice and flavor than any other wit I've ever experienced. The Belgian lacing on the glass sends your senses racing to Antwerp (or Portland, Maine.) This beer would probably be a nice nightcap after a few lesser bodied examples. I can't wait to try the other two Allagash products I just purchased, their Dubbel and Tripel Reserves - tomorrow maybe.

My first Allagash,
It's their White.
Ohh La La
White with a bite!

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Instructions on the label told me to drink this out of a tumbler, I just poured it in my erdinger weisse glass. Worked out nice.

Batch #50 (stamped on the label)

Pours out a cloudy yellow(banana yellow mixed with white cloudiness) Sort f a funky/spicy smell, like cracked pepper and something else I just cant place.

Exceptionally creamy mouthfeel, nice carbornation. Pretty perfect in that dept.

The flavor is good, I taste alot of pepper. When I first pour it in my mouth, I get the citrus, and a little tiny spark of bitterness at the end, just enough to taste that zesty peel flavor. I really taste a peppery flavor. It actually reminds me of eating those sea salt and pepper potato chips, you know the ones.

Theres really no negative about this beer. The only thing I can think of is that the spices are pretty prominent as the main flavor, But its really the style, so thats just something I like sometimes. This is something I will drink very regularly, not everyday though, like I would a German weisse bier. Something I would like to serve to guests though. Overall really really good.

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Served on tap in a chalice with a twist of orange.

Looks great, perfect lightly hazy lemon yellow with a persistent white head. Have to admit the orange slice makes it look refreshing, even though it's kind of stupid to put a twist in any beer.

Aroma is sweet, orange and wheaty, with a touch of spice.

Flavor is really smooth, balanced. Mouthfeel is crisp and slightly effervescent.

Drinkability is great. This example of a wit might be slightly off the mark on style guidelines, but is dead on for a great lunchtime brew.

4.65/5  rDev +12%

200th review...

Might as well go with one of my favorite witbiers...a classic IMO.

On-Tap...

Served into a pint glass.

A- Bright cloudy golden color, think a dark lemonade color. Fluffy white head, no lacing. Damn good lookin wit here...

S- Smell was overly citrus with the orange peel really coming through. Some lemon zest as well. Fruity and yeasty, great combo.

T- Corriander, sugar, lemon zest, assorted spices. Some pineapple? Other fruits.

M- This was thin bodied, but appropriate for the brew. Toned down carbonation, also appropriate.

D- Phenomenal and easy to drink. I could drink these all day at a barbeque. This is a witbier done right, not too sweet, not too spicy, flavorful and well balanced.

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Served in my Harpoon IPA glass. Poured a pale yellow-gold. Lots of tiny bubbles effervesced. Solution was a little cloudy, with particles of yeast detectable. One-inch foamy bright white head eventually settled into a thin skim of foam and tiny bubbles. Some strands of sticky lacing adhered to the side of the glass during the tasting. Scent of grapefruit, pale wheat and spice. Taste consistent with nose. Spices revealed as corriander and clove. Mouthfeel is light and lively without feeling watery. Nice, clean, mildly astringent finish. Light & refreshing without sacrificing flavor or character.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I got this bottle from jwc215. Thanks Joe!

It pours a coudy lemon yellow with a 2 finger head of foam. Good lacing and very good head retention.

The smell is yeasty and has big notes of orange and spice, mainly corriander. A touch of banana as well. Great nose for the style.

The taste is of lemon, corriander, a touch of clove, banana, pepper, ok. It fits the style to a T for me and I'm loving it.

Medium bodied and well carbonated, it finishes with a lemon zest flavour. Very drinkable and seeing how it's only 5%abv, I wouldn't get into too much trouble drinking a few of these.

Oh, and I just noticed a sweetness in my last sip....perhaps candy sugar? Wow. This is good.

Bottom line: A *great* Witbier that would make one hell of a return to beer in the upcoming summer. I wish we had it in Casper!!

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured from a bottle into a pint-sized pub glass.

Appearance: Hazy, pale yellow, with a thin white head. There is very little lacing left on the glass.

Smell: Wheat and citrus, with unmistakable Belgian-style spices.

Taste: Basically a repeat of the smell. This beer is immensely pleasant and refreshing. I can imagine really enjoying one of these after being outside in the heat.

Mouthfeel: Very light and crisp, with decent carbonation.

Drinkability: It's such a smooth and pleasant beer that I could easily drink several of these.

Although I haven't had all that many witbieren, I can certainly say that this is a solid example of one - and it's not even Belgian!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 750ml bottle. Batch #50. Bottle stated 5.2% ABV.

A: Poured a great cloudy deep lemon yellow (I am not saying that it was a dark yellow, but it was a solid yellow color). It poured a white light head that seems to be lasting. The only noticeable carbonation can be seen as the head dissipates.

S: The aroma is of an exceptional Witbier. Orange, yeast and some spice. The aroma is not overpowering, and I did not expect it to be, but it is consistent and hints that the beer will be refreshing.

T: Classic Witbier, one of the best that I have tried to date. Right up there with St. Bernardus Witbier and Southampton's Double White Ale. The yeast is very present in the taste with some hints of spices and maybe some citrus. The hint of citrus is not so noticeable that it makes it sweet.

M/D: The beer is very smooth, not too heavy and has just the right amount of carbonation. As for drinkability, I think that I could drink this beer all day. Highly drinkable and one that I will keep around all summer and for summers to come.

And as I am finishing this review and the beer, it still has a slight film of the head left. Nice.

4.63/5  rDev +11.6%

What a beautiful looking beer! Beautiful cloudy straw-yellow body, with a huge, firm, rocky head of white foam. Fine bubbles of carbonation. Pretty much a perfect-looking witbier. Just gorgeous.

Phenomenally fragrant beautiful nose, dominated by candied orange peel. Sweet hints of pepper, spice, fruit-cake and delicious, luscious Belgian yeast character. Wow, easily the equal of the best Belgian example I've had.

Delicious on the palate too. Nice spicy notes of clove, soaked candied fruits and a lingering dry-but-sweet candi sugar character. Delicious. Mouthfeel quite light and suitable.

This is a damn, damn fine witbier. Fragrant, sweet, juicy, delicious. What a fantastic brew. Without a doubt as good as the best Belgian wit, and probably better again. Top, top notch.

Thanks very much to my girlfriend for bringing this back from the US for me.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

What a great summer beer! Color is a golden hazy yellow with a light head that stands for a while. The aroma is very honeyish and light orange, although my wife says she smelled some burgers grilling in it, too. Taste is fabulous: just enough fizz to satisfy the need on a hot night, and a bright feel that is quite refreshing. I tasted much less orange than I expected based on the smell, but was in no way disappointed. Ever so slightly bitter and very clean all around. Easy to drink and hits the spot in hot weather. Another great beer from Allagash.

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

a: A hazy yellow body chock full of suspended matter. This white head and some nice soapy lace.

s: Subtle generic spice, lemon and some belgian yeast.

t: Belgian yeast is pretty musky, some grain flavor in there, and a nice mix of spice with no one spice shining through. Great balance and complexity.

m: Smooth and crisp, an excellent summer brew.

d: Not my favorite style, but this seems like a top notch take on it. I am enjoying this on a beautiful summer day and this seems like the perfect beer for the occasion. What Coors wishes Blue Moon tasted like.

3.88/5  rDev -6.5%

A : Pours a nice cloudy pale golden-yellow. Good head with some nice lacing left behind.

S : Light aroma, mainly citrus and spices

T : Good wheat flavor with some citrus and spice flavors throughout. A good crisp clean flavor

M : Smooth, light body, good carbonation.

D : Real easy to drink witbier. Really enjoyed it.

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours a cloudy, almost opaque light gold with a sticky white head with excellent retention, leaving rings of laces as the drink goes.

Not a heck of a lot to the nose -- some orange/lemon whiffs with some slight spiciness.

Outstanding taste. Lemony citrus, huge bready yeasty presence, just the right dose of coriander and orange peel and a large trace of minerals in the finish.

Crisp and spritzy in the mouth, with some real body from the yeast. Very refreshing, goes down about as easily as any beer I've ever had. Excellent warm-weather quencher. A true classic and one of the most Belgian-tasting American beers I've ever had not named Ommegang.

Allagash White from Allagash Brewing Company