Allagash White - Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash WhiteAllagash White

Allagash Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Witbier |  5.00% ABV

Our interpretation of a traditional Belgian wheat beer. Brewed with a generous portion of wheat and spiced with coriander and Curacao orange peel, this beer is fruity, refreshing and slightly cloudy in appearance.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Allagash White Alström Bros
4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a chalice yielding a cloudy golden color. Subtle traces of spice linger during after taste. Very light on the nose. Yeast level in the pour plays a major role in the flavor. Would qualify as a nice session beer especially during the summer months. One of my favorite American witbiers for sure.

2.78/5  rDev -33%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

White papery yellow color. Sharp lemon, cracker and whey aromas. A creamy, milky texture gives persistent, oily bitterness surrounded by lemon and orange peel. I walk away from it and try to define what keeps me from "liking" this beer. The bitterness is a little obnoxious, but not in an absolute sense; the bitterness seems unconnected to the other flavors (and way too persistent) and for that matter, so does the light, alcohol-derived sweetness. The finish is a bit of a chore too. It felt like it took forever to dispatch 12 ounces. None of the demerits are terribly obvious, but the bitterness builds, becoming more punishing as it drains.

2.4/5  rDev -42.2%

Bottle poured into a tumbler. Color was a hazy yellow. Head didn’t last long at all. First thing that struck me was a strange "celery" / vegetable taste that was persistent the whole way through, which I didn’t care for. Tried it cause it is compared to Hoegaarden often. I don’t think I will be trying this again.

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

Standard pint. Pours a very light straw color with a 2 finger head of stark white foam. The brew is cloudy, as expected, with a few stray bubbles in the brew, but it is generally calm. The aroma is dominated by coriander spice with a very nice creamy wheat base behind it. There is a more distant orange fruityness, but the spice is the main player here. Taking a sip, it brings what is expected from the flavors: lots of spicy coriander and lighter orange with a creamy wheat character. None of the flavors are too dominant, as they blend well into each other. Mouthfeel is very rich and creamy. It is moderate to thick with a moderate carbonation in there to make it a little lighter. There is just a hint of herbal hop on the finish that just plays lightly at the sides of my tongue after swallowing the brew. This is the first brew I have put on my kegerator, and it really was a good choice, though I should have done a half barrel and not just a sixtel, as this one will not last too long. It is very flavorful and easy to drink. I am happy with it for sure!

4.97/5  rDev +19.8%

This poured beautifuly into my glass with a slight head, not as much as most other wit's but still very nice. Smell is spicy, very aromatic, absolutely wonderful. Taste is just as good, spicy, with a very tasty aroma, just wonderful. Exceptionally smooth and easy to drink. When it comes to Witbier this is pretty damn close to perfection.

Best American Wit, hands down.

3.85/5  rDev -7.2%

I got this beer while traveling through Jacksonville, Florida, for my sister's graduation. It is yet another beer that is unavailable in Texas. I picked it up because I have enjoyed every Allagash I have sampled so far, so I have some high expectations for this brew.

Poured a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance - Quickly dissipating one finger white head. Transparent, light lemon yellow in color. Strange, I have never had a Witbier that was this transparent. Many other people's reviews state that it is a cloudy whitish yellow color...I don't know what to make of this. Maybe the beer sat for too long, maybe the bottle needed to be agitated slightly before opening.

Smell - Notes of bready malt, citrus lemon peel, and that Allagash yeast smell that is present in most of their brews. Also present is some spice, clove or coriander perhaps.

Taste - This beer tastes pretty much like it smells. Lemony citrus intermingled with spices and bready malt. The flavors open and become more pronounced as the beer warms up. I detect a lot of yeast flavor in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Thin mouthfeel, very light bodied. Prickly carbonation really cuts through the thinness of the brew. The thinness and the carbonation are in near perfect balance with each other. Very crisp, and has a fairly dry finish.

Drinkability - This beer goes down very easy. This would be a great beer to drink outdoors during a hot day.

I really don't know what to think about this one. It was good, but I feel that it was missing something. I really think I should find a 750ml bottle, or try a bottle that is a little fresher. I will pass a final judgement after I find another bottle.

Poured a nice looking lightish yellow-orange color with a good bit of white head on top. Opaque. Nose was surprisingly mild, but of your standard corriander, wheat, and citrus. Flavor was likewise. Body was fairly full-bodied for the style, which was nice. This one was very good, although not particularly unique. Oddly enough, it actually really reminded me of Blue Moon Wit, although not in a bad way.

3.28/5  rDev -21%

Goblet from Hollingshead's Deli in Orange

Very light color with a see through white head

Super light beer from Allagash

Could probably drink ten of these at a sitting

Good price for 750 ml bottles most of the time, about six bucks and worth the money

Tasted more like a pale ale rather than a wheat beer

Faint fruity aroma and taste, but too light to stand out

Would be a good session beer, but would get prciey after a while

4.15/5  rDev 0%

Allagash White pours a cloudy yellow with a thick white head that lingers. Aroma is dry bready yeast with some sweet orange and a hint of corriander. The flavor is crisp and refreshing. It starts off with a sharp, almost sour flavor that gives way to a nice light wheat sweetness. The spices are apparent but not at the forefront, I like wits with more corriander, but I'd rather underspiced than overspiced.

3.55/5  rDev -14.5%

I've been eyeballing this one for awhile.The cost was the onlything holding me back,it was $9.00 for a 12oz 4 pack.The color seemed as if I poured a watered down pinnapple juice.Head lasted,wait no head, just a miniscule ring around the inside of the glass.Has a fruity kinda light bananna yeasty smell.Good feel in the mouth,carbonation sets this beer off ok.A fruity slightly spicy taste,a very light bodied beer.Not enough "kick" for me.This beverage is not too bad but i won't drink it all the time.

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Served on tap in a pint glass.

Appearance – The beer was presented in a glass with a light yellow flaxen color that was almost clear. There was a nice white head that laid lightly on top.

Smell – Light fresh and citrus with a tiny bit of yeast but in no way overpowering.

Taste – There is definitely a bit of citrus and sweetness to the beer. It has a perfume like aftertaste that stays in on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – Very light but with very fine carbonation but as the beer warms up it seems to expand in the mouth leaving a foam as it dissolves in your mouth.

Drinkability - The beer goes down nicely and is light and refreshing but it does expand in the mouth somewhat as it warms up.

[ serving type: on-tap ]

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

750ml bottle. Batch 34

A: cloudy and yellow with a foamy white head that reduces quickly to thin lace which lingers until finish. lively carbonation

S: citrusy, orange/lemon zest, faint spiciness

T: crisp with a faint lemon taste, banana and pepper

M: smooth, almost creamy but with lively, fizzy carbonation

D: fantastic for drinkability but I must say I can be partial to witbiers during summers

4.88/5  rDev +17.6%

Over the years I have had many wheat beers with this being one of my favorites. Many establishments serve wheat beers with a slice of orange or other fruit but I generally pass on that as I think it disguises the true aroma of the beer itself. I normally have this on tap at home and served this at two recent summer parties and many of my friends who normally drink macro-brews stuck to this even though their usual brands were available.

Appearance – The beer is bright yellow and translucent. The head presents itself well initially then reduces to small floating islands with good lacing on the glass as you drink it.

Smell – There are notes of yeast, spices and fruit in the aroma.

Taste – Certainly there is a hint of clove and other spices with some fruitiness in the taste, but it’s just right. Some wheat beers I have tried are over-spiced leaving me feeling like I just bit into the clove that mom missed removing from the Christmas ham.

Mouthfeel – Lighter on the tongue that some other wheat beers with noticeable and pleasant carbonation.

Drinkability - The alcohol level is reasonable and makes this a beer which you can drink over an extended period of time especially in the summer months. This is my favorite summer beer presently even though I believe it is available throughout the year.

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

Bomber/ Batch 38

A: Poured a hazy yellow with a foamy white three finger head that fully lasted throughout the session, leaving a good amount of lace on the glass from top to bottom.

S: As soon as I popped the cork a blast of orange rind hit my nose. The aroma of orange rind was followed by a sweet cereal, coriander and clove. Dough finished the fragrance.

T & M: Light body with a lively carbonation feel. Starts of cereal sweet with a tangy citrus(lemon and orange) middle that finish semi dry and full of spice.

D: I drink this all night. Very clean and well balanced. Leaves you wanting more after every sip.

Overall, Allagash Witbier Rocks! Great job on representing a German style brew. I had it with a turkey coleslaw melt and sweet potato fries. Enjoy

4.95/5  rDev +19.3%

Appearance:
The beer is hazy and lemon yellow in color. There's a sizable white head to the beer that leaves some moderate lacing despite it's somewhat poor retention.

Smell:
The scent is refreshing and spicy. There's solid notes of nutmeg and coriander with a hit of cinnamon in the back. Under the initial spicing there is a smooth, and somewhat sweet, wheat backbone to the nose.

Taste and Mouthfeel:
Initially the beer is light and crisp on the palate but this slowly pans out in to more of a full and sourdough like foodiness. A lemon zest like character paired with some interesting banana notes really make for a wonderfully refreshing taste up front but again these flavors develop more in to a mild spice cake or weak banana bread like full flavor towards the finish. The finish is clean and almost refreshes the palate with each drink and leaves little in the way of an aftertaste.

Drinkability:
Easily one of the more refreshing brews I've had this summer but also one of my year long favorites when I'm back out east. A very tasty and easy drinking beer.

Bottom Line:
For my money this is the best witbier I've ever had and after about 5 years of drinking this beer it's probably one of my longest going favored beers. One of the first beers that sent me down the craft brew road.

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

Notes from Seaport Beer Fest 08/11/07

Appearance: Poured a murky yellowish cream colour with a fizzy white head that drops quickly to a ring of lace.

Aroma: Loads of coriander, orange peel, various citrus aromas lemon grass, pepper. Very spicy and herbal.

Taste: Sweet malts are hidden behind a wall of spicy and herbal flavours. The coriander seems to take a backseat here to the bitter lemon zest and peppery flavours. Some candied fruit in there as well.

Mouthfeel: Soft and silky smooth. High drinkability, which I usually don't find in Belgian styles personally.

Final Statment: First off, let it be known that I am not a huge lover of Belgian styled beers. With that being said, this is the best I've had. This was a perfect marriage between complexity and drinkability. Beautiful beer, I need a bottle of this.

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

25.4oz(750ml) bottle with cork and cage. Beautiful label and very classy(classic) packaging. Beer pours a pale hazed yellow with a soapy head and great lace. Aroma of belgian yeast clove spiciness. Peppery hops, lemon and coriander round out the nose. Taste of sweet lemon, coriander which translates into a mild blueberry fruitiness, as well as clove and pepper flavors. Very balanced, superb flavors that blend and compliment. As for food pairings, Allagash White seemed made for the grilled swordfish and the first local corn on the cob of the season I enjoyed it with.

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%

Appearance: I've always liked the way witbiers look, and this is no exception. Wonderfully pale and hazy with a good head and incredible lacing all the way down the glass. A thin layer of foam is also retained the entire time.

Smell: Wheaty banana and clove done to perfection.

Taste: Similar to the smell with added dimensions. A strong yeasty element gives way to some tang in the finish. Rich, spicy, fruity, flawless.

Mouthfeel: So chewy and playful. This beer coats the inside of your mouth as you drink it. The only bad thing is that some of the yeast sticks on the back of your tongue and throat with a drying effect.

Drinkability: Almost perfect here. It's a good thirst quencher in the summer and also does a good job washing down food, but it seems to be more dehydrating than most beers. That aside, I still find it hard to not drink two or three more whenever I have one of these.

Beef Notes: Without a doubt my favorite witbier. Nothing else can touch it, as far as I'm concerned. Sadly, I don't see it in stores as much as I used to.

3.23/5  rDev -22.2%

Appearance: Pours a clou-- oops, it seems I did not follow the label's explicit instructions of "Pour - Swirl - Pour Yeast". Bottoms up!

Pours a cloudy, light-hearted yellow body with a thin white head.

Smell: Soft aroma of freshly-squeezed citrus fruits, bananas, yeast, coriander, and cloves.

Taste: Smooth, gentle flavor of wheat with hints of bananas, lemons, and yeast. The spicing remains reasonably light. Finishes semi-sweet and citric.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Somewhat oily mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation.

Drinkability: Its fine, but not a beer I can really get excited over. Not that I don't sincerely try to be that Excited About Wits Guy, but I'm starting to feel as though that's never going to be the case.

3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

Having recently tried this for the first time on tap, I had the opportunity to try out a bottle and found similar satisfaction. A light cloudy yellow brew with a thin but steady head and a vague lacing. It has a light bready smell and on this night it seems a couple of us trying this out detected a barbeque aroma which I thought blended tastefully with a doughie quality. The flavor is light and lemony with a great blend of bread and a pleasant peppery spice. It is lightly carbonated and easy drinking. This is fast making my summer hit parade!

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

have been eyeing this beer for awhile but the price has kept me away to this point, regardless, i broke down tonight and am glad i did . although i had my "white " out of a bottle my friend had his in a pint glass. Light in color, like a pale straw, nice head that broke quickly and retained a light lace. the most distinctive attribute that i picked up with this very drinkable and refreshing brew was a very distinctive taste of barbeque sauce, more on the start than on the finish but none the less unmistakable throughout. would definitely return to this again although i see more whites in my future to compare this to.

AP: Pours out a hazy white-hued golden color, alot like pineapple juice with good carbonation and many little bubbles that create a light and lacy all-white head that is moderately sticky.

Nose: Herbal wheat scented malt, sour but mild yeast, banana's, cloves with a minor meaty whiff and some spices.

Flavor & Feel: This is a light and crisp brew that features a delectible hearty wheat flavored malt, earthy, herbal and sour yeast with green and mossy hops that keeps a very nice even balance. The fruity hints of banana and dried dates pops out soon after with a green-veggie hop finish. starts out crisp and very refreshing but goes down a bit smooth and very light.

DA: highly.

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

Would drink this one again, but not at the top of my list. Pours a cloudly, light caramel/gold color. Large white head that dissipates slowly, leaving a small white head which stays throughout the beer. Nice amount of lacing. Aroma has a strong lemony scent. There was a bit too much carbonation, but overall a nice mouthfeel even though the carbonation gave it a bit of a bite. There was a citrus taste, a nice orange taste throughout. There was a bit of a lemon finish. Pretty good control of the taste, a nice mixture with the spices and all.

4.53/5  rDev +9.2%

Pours a ghostly/cloudy pale color with thick foamy head.

Soap, pear, fresh baked bread, coriander, and some clove aromas. Very aromatic.

Starts sweet. Lemon zest, orange, ginger, apple skin, pear flavors upfront followed by bread, spicy-yeasty flavors and a slight sour twang. Wow this is elegantly delicous. Bitterness low and and finish is bone dry.

Mouthfeel is light and carbonation is high leaving the mouth refreshed and ready for another gulp. I could drink this all night long if I could. Definately will purchase this again. Highly recomended.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into tall mug.

Appearance: Nice bright but murky golden, thick fizzy white head. Nearly perfect for the style.

Smell: The smell reveals a nice coriander and orange aroma, somewhat more than some other wit beers. A tad yeasty.

Taste: Very well rounded flavors that blend together nicely....coriander, orange and yeast. This beer finishes a bit sweeter than most wit beers.

Mouthfeel: Nothing to complain about here. high carbonation as expected, feels fine.

Drinkability: This is not quite as light as most wit beers thanks to the residual sweetness, but still decently quaffable.

Allagash White from Allagash Brewing Company