Allagash White - Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash WhiteAllagash White

Allagash Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Witbier |  5.00% ABV

Our interpretation of a traditional Belgian wheat beer. Brewed with a generous portion of wheat and spiced with coriander and Curacao orange peel, this beer is fruity, refreshing and slightly cloudy in appearance.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Allagash White Alström Bros
3.85/5  rDev -7.2%

This is my first Allagash --- I'll start off by saying that Beligian style is definitely not my favorite but I do enjoy a good wit bier occasionally. The poured a cloudy peach color with a super foamy head (even with a medium pour) and left slight lacing down the glass. The smell was citrus (lemons) and spicey. The taste was very refreshing, more fruits and spices (coriander as per the bottle). The mouthfeel was slick and clean with a pleasant aftertaste. A little astringent and a fair amount of "fizziness" but overall a very nice wit. This was very nice after spending a few hours repainting my sunroom, but I would still grab a hefe before a wit beer anyday... that's just me

Gasp100, May 19, 2004
4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

750 mL bottle Batch 10 - It pours a cloudy pale gold (almost white in color) with a big creamy white head. The head doesn't stay large, but it lingers as a thin covering for the beer until the end. The aroma is citrussy with some spice, a delicate hoppiness, and some sweetness. The light body is has some creamy malt and corriander seems to be present. It finishes with a nice spicey bitterness. A nice crisp, refreshing beer.

ark57, May 14, 2004

I was pretty excited to try this one. Anything that is brewed with spices catches my eye immediately. This poured very pale colored and the head was very fluffy and white. The nose is very refreshing. As this beer heads towards the back of the mouth, heavy doses of clove show up. There seems to be a hint of cinnamon left on the tongue. This one is a pretty complex beer with tons of different flavors. Definately an advanced beer in my mind.

ALESwhatCURESya, May 11, 2004
4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

12 oz brown bottle, with pouring directions on label, poured into an Allagash chalice
I pour the first 2/3 and its clear and sparkles like champagne, then swirl the yeast and pour the rest and the ale gets nice and cloudy with a fast rising head that levels off to a film above a body that looks like watered down orange juice

Smells like a yeasty dinner roll with a floral hop aroma.
Very light and sharp mouthfeel.
Clean finish with a residual of spices, cloves (?), and hops. Some grassy earth notes as it warmed could be detected.

Allagash suggest serving their ales served in 750ml bottles be served at cellar temp, the same suggestion should be made for this ale. The complexity comes out as it warms and the carbonation mellows. When I first had this, last year, it was the first time I had a beer that didn’t taste like “beer.” I’d suggest it to anyone who doesn’t like beer because of the taste.

kfoss99, May 08, 2004

Reader's Note: This is my first review so take it for what it's worth. I have been drinking craft beer for a year now.

Appearance: A really yellow beer with a two finger head that disipates quickly. There is a thick cloud of particulate througout.
Smell: A little extra bite in the smell than I would expect from a white. It smells hoppier than other whites.
Taste: Orange peel, light but present hops, a healthy amount of wheat. This beer tastes simple yet good.
Mouthfeel: Maybe a little over-carbonated.
Drinkability: I would have no problem drinking lots of these, day after day.

This is a good white, though not exactly what I expected. I prefer a Sam Adam's White to this.

jvajda, Apr 22, 2004
3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

Picked up in Dallas. Not available here in Wichita.

Appearance: Yellow and extremely cloudy without being chunky. One-finger, sticky white head dwindled slowly and left a thin layer of fine bubbles on top for the entire drink. Typical wit appearance. Light lacing.

Smell: Light aroma, but what was there was sort of heavy. Grains, cloves, light mandarin orange, and banana. Also a thick sweetness. An occasional whiff of spicy yeast or alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied, but with a little chewy character on the sides of the tongue. Smooth except for some lively carbonation on the back of the tongue.

Taste: I remember this being heavier and sweeter. This time, came across as grainy and dry. Light grass transformed into hints of light spiciness and citrus flavor. Less of those two flavors than most other wits. Dried out to a grainy finish.

Quaffer, Apr 16, 2004
3.85/5  rDev -7.2%

Allagash White was served from a 750ml corked and caged bottle labeled "Batch #11". In a Duvel tulip, the beer was a hazy pale golden and was topped by a wonderfully thick, creamy, and unyielding bright white head. The nose presented a light lemon/orange citric peel spritziness, spiced with coriander...nice but could use more flair and oomph. The taste was light on the palate as well. A quenching grapefruity lightly acidic base emited shy accents coriander as the aggresively bittered dry citric finish engages the taste buds. The finish is quite clean leaving only light traces of lingering citric peel/coriander essence. The beer succeeds in the quenching/refreshing department. While the upfront flavor is a bit lacking in intensity, the finish was very well done for the style. I felt the body was a tad thin, though it was smooth to the touch. The carbonation was fine and fluffy, meshing well with the flavors and personality of the beer. This light and crisp white was very drinkable, especially on the warm sunny day of this tasting.

HiroProtagonist, Apr 05, 2004
4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours to a milky pale golden, with suspended particles of yeast flittering about. Forms a small white head with poor retention and minimal lacing despite a hefty pour. Carbonation is mild to moderate despite a well-proclaimed "psssht" with opening the cap.Aroma is very good..orange and coriander in abundance with a tangy funkiness, akin to sharp cheese, that I appreciate in good wits (Celis comes to mind). Sweet pale malts, vanilla, and honeydew round out the assortment. Mouthfeel is very soft and smooth, particularly for the style which typically has strong carbonation. Taste echoes the aroma, with a lightly sweet malt body, grain husk and honeydew towards the middle, and a well-balanced bitterness level. Finish is moderately bready with a fulfilling wit "bang".

Cleanly fermented with great characteristics of the style, this one is easy to drink owing to it's subdued carbonation and it becomes more perfumy and floral as it warms. Completely gratifying, this is an excellent brew and would easily replace Oberon as my summer beer if it was available in my area.

Mitchster, Mar 27, 2004
3.15/5  rDev -24.1%

750ml bottle
5.2% alc
Batch# 3

Apperarance: hazy gold color with a soft white head
The Aroma: Smell is mostly yeast and wheat, with a hint of spice
The Taste: crisp and refreshing
Mouthfeel: smooth and lightbodied
Drinkability: nice brew in the warmer months

ctrlfreak, Mar 13, 2004
4.28/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I am not generally a fan of wheat beers, but when they get to this quality, it is hard not to like them. this was on tap at Gingerman in new York. Poured to a beautiful cloudy golden color, it had a decent head which laced nicely. It had a nice bite at the back of the tongue and mouth, but was smooth at the front. There was little after taste, and unlike some wheat beers, this doesn't need lemon to improve it or make it drinkable.

As wheat beers go, this was strong.

TheJudge, Feb 26, 2004
4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

1.94 pint bottle. Cool label...and I LOVE the cork...i just love that whole cork thing, id dig it if every brew came with a cork to pop.

Apperance: Budweiser yellow, but not as clear. The color goes from orange to yellow when you go from natural to artificial light. The head on this brew is just perfect! I love the head here. Cotton white with bursting mountains of foam.

Nose: Orange is so nice from this brew. It isnt your orange peel chicken, this is orange blossom...the flower of the orange tree....yum! Next comes the herbs...I have no clue what kind, but it's herby...or herbacious, whatever.

Taste: My god, the head has lasted the whole time Ive been writting this and into the "taste" section. I could go watch TV and the head will wait for me. It's crisp to the mouth, I taste lemon, orange and then herb.

Notes: Love the cork, love the label, love the head!

travolta, Feb 17, 2004
4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

After drinking a diet of Stouts and Porters for the past several reviews, I decided to visit one of the first styles I had tried, i.e., a wheat style brew. The cloudy, lemon yellow appearance with great lacing invites you to drink. The smell is fruity and yeasty...as my wife aptly put it, almost like pizza dough. The taste is light...with initial fruitiness, followed by a dry, slightly astingent quality that is very crisp. I like this dry, refreshing mouthfeel and could drink types like this all night. Very drinkable...would be an extremely nice brew in the warmer months (if tehy ever come agian!)

edchicma, Feb 07, 2004
3.8/5  rDev -8.4%

The predominant aroma and taste I got from this was apricot. The beer had a nice tang to it, naturally cloudy, and not too carbonated. Could have been a bit more yeasty in flavor, perhaps a little more hops. Just a bit too watery. Overall I enjoyed it.

ChicoraBoy, Feb 06, 2004
4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Pale yellow color with little head that leaves quickly. There is little lacing. This beer has a nice spicy aroma and hints of citrus. There is a hint of hops as well. The taste is a very nice blend of spices and I get a sense of grapefruit and orange flavors. This is a very silky smooth beer that leaves a strong crisp taste in my mouth. This is a quality belgian style wit beer and makes me long for spring time.

stewart124, Feb 04, 2004
4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

Great balance of spice, grain, and orange. Among the most well-integrated beers I've had in general -- wit or not. Finish is smooth, even silky, and makes me long for summer. I would've liked a little more yeast character and more suspension in the glass, but the overall complexity of this beer more than makes up for it.

Relax, relax.
ng

ngandhi, Feb 02, 2004
4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

12 oz bottle at cellar temperature pours into a tulip glass a bright, but hazy, yellow colour. A tightlyknit white head of minute bubbles eventually settles into some sheets of lacing. Aroma is of a Belgian strong ale, minus the alcohol. Banana, lemonzest, yeast, cloves, and coriander. Mouthfeel is smooth and medium bodied, with a tonguebite of pepper and hops. Taste is pleasantly complex, with lemon, musty yeast, wheat grain, and a spice array featuring green peppercorns and coriander. Carbonation is medium and plays into the mix quite well. Aftertaste is clean, with a note of mild pepper. Malts stay subdued in this Allagash, but I can easily understand why this white ale is the flagship of this fine Maine brewery. Very well crafted and easily drinkable.

merlin48, Feb 01, 2004
4.6/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

On tap, presented in a shaker pint.

Pale hazy yellow. Thin white head. Lace, tons of lace, all the way to the bottom.

Nose is spicy, with coriader, pepper & hops.

Tart & lemony, spicy, & plenty of hops. Bone dry finish. So damn good on tap, it should be illegal.

xgrigorix, Jan 26, 2004
4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

I don't know if I would label this is a white, so I am not going to dock it any points for stylistic impuritires. Banana, clove and citrus were quite evident in the aroma and quite balanced. I could see where some people would not appreciate the balance in the beer that is IMO it's strongest point. Soft coriander and zest are quite evident but blend nicely with the sweet wheat flavors. Color was a cloudy yellow that, depending on pour, could clear up nicely. Finish is quick and easy... on the light side but this adds to it's drinkability. High quality brew. Look forward to trying some more Allagash brews.

jreitman, Jan 24, 2004
4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

From a 750ml bottle. Batch 8.

Pours a hazy yellow gold with a frothy ivory head. Smells of citrus and coriander. Some light fruitiness and sweet wheat malt.

Taste is lightly sour and yeasty. Citrus flavors underlying. Tasty wheat malt with a good bit of spiciness. Very light and crisp on the palate. Soft sour aftertaste. A very drinkable beer, easy to finish a 750ml solo. Damn good and it's even better as a summer beer.

ViveLaChouffe, Jan 15, 2004
4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

Medium-sized, white, noisy, dense, foamy head. Hazy, dirty yellow body. Citrus in the nose and just a little peanutty. Nice. Citrus and major pepper in front. Some burnt crackers. Middle turns tangy, sourish, fruity. It's almost a little milky tasting. Bitter finish, more pepper, grains and some burnt toast. Hm. Very bitter at the end. This is really good. It's better with the yeast pour, I think. Quite milky/tasty. More buttery with temperature.

kbub6f, Jan 14, 2004
4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

I've had this countless times but never got around to reviwing it, here goes. Served on tap at Bull Feeny's in a big Allagash tulip glass. Has that wonderful turbid yellow with the white foamy head I've come to love. Smells sweetly of lemon and little bit of grain.

This is the best tasting wit I know. Not that I am the all encompassing wit authority, but this is just delighful. So chewy and grainy, with just the right balance of hop at the end. Lots of citrus and fruit come through with just a hint of spice. Very crisp mouthfeel and highly drinkable.

yankeeheel, Jan 11, 2004
4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

Appearance – Very light yellow in color with a smallish head.

Smell – The light malt character is mixed well with some big orange peel and some stiff spicing. This is a huge Witbier.

Taste – The light malt base is infused with the hearty orange peel and gigantic spicing from the nose. This is more like a BSPA.

Mouthfeel – Lightly carbonated and medium in the body. This one was fluffy and felt great in the mouth.

Drinkability – I really enjoyed this beer, but it would probably be too much for most.

Comments – JohnnyDuvel handed this one to me when I was down in Florida on vacation. He actually gave me two of them – BA Bros are the best!

RoyalT, Jan 11, 2004
4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

I've had this before, but for whatever reason, hadn't rated it. This time I had the small bottle (as opposed to the 750). This is a wonderful, crisp, refreshing wit. As good as any I've had in this style. Ultimately, I prefer their triple, but this is nearly as good. Appearance as you would expect, light golden color, small head with some retention. Fruity, somewhat dry taste. I find that Allagash has a distinctive taste, which is there in all of their styles. Tangy, refreshing beer.

JohnnyDuvel, Jan 08, 2004
3.55/5  rDev -14.5%

The beer pours a very pale gold color with a white spotty lace head. The aroma is of Belgian pale malts and yeast. It seems a bit weak and watery. It does have a fruity scent that is appealing . The taste is decent, but again it seems to be a bit watery and weak. There is a fruity aftertaste that lingers. The mouthfeel is good. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This is a good drinker, but I just don't care too much for Allagash beers. Ommegang is so much better.

WesWes, Jan 01, 2004
3.7/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I have to start by saying that I like any beer that has instructions on the bottle on how to properly pour it.

That being said, I found this Wit to be above average at best. Perhaps I was expecting more being that some of the other reviews liked it a lot. Or perhaps it's because I had it from a bottle and not on tap.

I'll start with the appearance, being that I liked that part best. Poured a hazy bright gold. The yeast cloudiness was enticing looking. 3/4 to 1/2 inch white head that retained well. Pretty big bubbles. Smell was pretty good also. Slight citrus notes, and slight hint of coriander. I expected more though being that the bottle said "beer brewed with spices," on the label. The taste was good. Crisp, slightly spicy, slightly citrus. Nothing overwhelming. Mouth feel was good also, if not a bit thinner than I expected. As to drinkability, it was better than average. Although, I'm going to have to stick with what I said before, this beer looks better than it tastes. It also smelled better to me than it tasted.

As I said earlier, perhaps I expected more based on others reviews. This is not a bad beer by any means, defiantly above average. But I think I let my high hopes get the best of me, and I wound up being underwhelmed.

Ieatlambfries, Dec 27, 2003