Allagash Fluxus 2010 - Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.30% ABV

Beer added by: Brez07 on 08-10-2010

Weighing in at 10.3% ABV, it is one of the strongest beers that Allagash has ever brewed. This beer utilized a unique brewing process that used wort from a smaller brew, as the "water" for mashing the grain for this brew. Maine grown barley was used as the base for this grain bill that also included a blend of three roasted malts and oats. Fluxus was appropriately hopped with both US Saaz and Glacier hops. Just before knock out, fifty pounds of Taza roasted Cacao nibs were added to the whirlpool. The result is a thick, sticky stout with tons of both roasted and chocolate flavors, aromas of tobacco and cocoa, and a surprisingly sweet, creamy finish.
1.93/5  rDev -49.7%

750ml bottle poured into a New Belgium globe.

A; Pours jet black with a two finger tan head. The head settles a bit, but retains at a quarter of an inch. Small clumps of lacing remain.

S: Wet grain, an intense chocolate aroma, some roast and char. Subtle fruity scents of plum and tart cherry. Not a very complex nose; the chocolate seems to weigh it down.

T: Wet grain, lots of roast and char. Smoke. Milk chocolate builds a little. Huge wash of tart cherry crushes everything. There is something very wrong here. Finishes with chocolate and char.

M: Creamy and very smooth, medium body with a nice roundness. Very little in the way of carbonation.

O: This is a beer that I forgot about in my cellar for a long time. It was kept under proper cellar conditions for about two years. At 10.3%, it probably should have fared much better. Something is very wrong with this beer. Infection?

2.25/5  rDev -41.4%

2.27/5  rDev -40.9%

Pours black with a substantial medium brown head that lingers well.

Smell is light roasted malts, fruity esters, and cherry mixed with an off putting medicinal aroma.

Upfront taste is sweet chocolate and roasted malts which follow through to the finish. The finish is an odd combination of fruity esters and chocolate mixed with some medicinal notes and cherry--bittersweet. Quite chocolaty overall.

Medium body with medium carbonation.

Overall not very impressive due to the off smell and flavors. The body could be beefed up a bit too. Not sure what they were going for here.

11/2010

2.32/5  rDev -39.6%

12 oz pour in a tulip. A creamy dense tan head sits atop the dark body. Good retention and plentiful, if drippy, lacing.

Nose and flavor profile are fairly overwhelmed by a combo of bubblegum and buttery diacetyl. Old/oxidized keg or intentional qualities, I'm not sure, but they certainly drown out any "stout" characteristics like roasted/chocolately malts or "Belgian" cloves, fruitiness, etc. On the positive side, a very smooth feel, almost nitro-ish, but this is not something I'd recommend at all.

2.82/5  rDev -26.6%

#26
Poured into my Goose Island stout glass from a 750.

A: poured a nice dark brown, but a huge frothy head overtakes half of the glass. Meh. 3.0

S: Nothing spectacular. Cocoa and a roasty / smokey hint. There's a fruity undertone that is also prevalent. This could be really interesting or a train wreck. 3.5

T: oops. That didn't work. There's a fruit sweetness at the back of my tongue followed by a chocolate flavor, but finishes brutally bitter on the tip. My tongue responded by imploding. There's a lot in this, but unfortunately it does not work well together. 2.5

M/D: Mouthfeel is good, smooth for the style with not nearly the amount of carbonation as expected from the initial pour. Drinkability is tough. I had a 12 oz pour with roughly the same still left in front of me that I'm not sure I can finish. 3.0/2.5

Skip it. For the price, there's a ton of better options.

Cheers,
TJ

2.83/5  rDev -26.3%

Poured into a tulip. This one was a gusher! Lots of tan head on this with a dark brown body.

This smells kind of smokey with a little bit of cocoa to finish off the aroma. Really big dark raosty aroma to this one. Kind of a bitter cocoa flavor; seems to be souring a little bit though. Maybe my bottles a bit off.

The feel is full but the carbonation is a bit explosive. Overall this isn't bad, I'd say I have an off bottle. Wish I had a good one but oh well, this still isn't too bad.

2.88/5  rDev -25%

750mL, Summer 2010.

Dark and ominous with a huge tan head. Nice retention.

The nose is surprisingly fruity for a stout, lots of roast.

Very tangy, borders on sour. Actually, this might be slightly infected. I remember tasting this stuff fresh, and it was magnificently roasty, chocolatey and rich. Now it's kind of a mess. Oddly fruity and pruney. The roastiness still comes through big time, but the sweet, chocolate character is muffled, and the alcohol presence is a bit on the hot side. Carbonation is nice, but for an Imperial Stout this stuff seems thin.

Least impressive beer I've had from Allagash. Oh well.

Thanks to stormking47 for this bottle, which I believe is the last from a fantastic Secret Santa box (or is it? who knows what surfaces when the cellar is stirred...).

Pours black & fizzy for a big, bass-add stout, & a couple ounces are left in the bottom to keep the brew clear of any accumulated yeast. Smells like Belgian yeast, chocolate, foreign-born malts.

Fluxus 2010 is a beer with a lot of gender confusion going on. First impressions are everything, & this beer shook my hand with a raisin, then belched prune in my general direction. What the hell? Underneath this nose-wrinkling quasi-fruit assault, there's a spritz of bitter chocolate & malts flitting in & out of the mess, too. The influence of Belgium is noted as well. Halved this big 750ML bottle with my wife, & half of a bomber is going to be more than enough.

Just a strange beer, & not high on the Appeal Scale. I'm unsure if the prune puree parade is intentional or a byproduct of a failed experiement, but this one just didn't do anything for me. Mediocre.

3.01/5  rDev -21.6%

750mL bottle poured into snifter glass - thanks to cjo for sharing

Pours a viscous black with a thin tanned head, fades quickly to cloudy film with a ring of lacing.

Somewhat unusual nose w cocoa and molasses, a hint of odd funk/bitter.

A little bitter and strong up front with unusually large alcohol immediately. Cocoa with some pine and citrus hops. Some molasses and syrupy sweetness. Finishes with weird citrus and dark sweetness uncomfortably complimented by some boozy warmth.

Full bodied, medium carbonation, smooth and slick. The flavor is weird and off, feels like multiple styles were combined in a bad marriage. Kinda tough to drink for sure.

3.03/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Served in a Duvel tulip glass.

Once again, the only way I'm really able to try this stuff is because of a discounted bottle. Allagash truly needs to rethink their pricing structure... That bit of economics ranting aside, this stuff pours a straight obsidian topped by a finger of tan foam. The nose comprises deep cocoa, roasted malts, and a touch of black smoke way in the back. The cocoa is a bit much, but not enough to tank the experience. The taste brings in more of the same, with the same strength of cocoa, but now it's aged in a bad way, coming across more fruity, more malted-milk-ball-sitting-at-the-bottom-of-the-Halloween-pillow-case. It just doesn't work here. The body is a hefty medium, with a very light moderate carbonation and a slick feel. Overall, I feel the past couple of years hasn't been kind to this stuff, regardless of how the brewers may feel it ages. The cocoa is still strong, but it's like the musclebound geriatric who thinks he can still take you, when the reality is that he's just gonna have a heart attack and die on you. Either way, you're not having a fun day at the nursing home.

3.06/5  rDev -20.3%

Thanks Andrew for sharing this one.

Poured into in NB Globe glass. Pours 1 finger of tan brown head. Color is near black. Good retention with some thick lace.

Aroma: I get an odd flavor from the nose. It is boarder-line smoked. It also has some leather to it. A bit of marshmallows with some vanilla. Chocolate bitterness.

Taste: Cocoa and chocolate powder. Pretty bitter chocolate. Vanilla again. It tastes very Belgian. Also has some fruit flavors to it. Some smoked flavors. Very odd.

Mouthfeel: Bitter, creamy, and a bit velvety. Full bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Ends dry with notes of a cigar.

Overall, this was an odd beer. It had some different flavors going on with it. Somewhat drinkable, but not something I'd seek out.

3.06/5  rDev -20.3%

I went out in pursuit of this brew today, and was able to find it, so good news for me. Anyway, this year's version of Fluxus comes out as pitch black as it gets, with one finger of white/tan heading that lasts after several sips. Alcohol can be detected right away in the nose, along with some metallic notes, and just a hint of cocoa nib. Chocolate is more apparent in the flavor (they must have been using some very bitter Taza product) along with small hints of dark fruit, but still metal and a mild alcohol burn in the background. Mouthfeel is not as large on the palate as I had expected, though it is still pretty hefty. The booze subsides a bit as it warms, but not by much. Still, this makes for a decent sipper. I am not sure where I heard this, but it was said that this should be tried new. I could not disagree more. As Nate from Marty's said, with six months of age, this brew could transition from pretty good to great. Overall, not my favorite from the Fluxus series, (2009 takes that trophy) though once the Fall comes I will definitely be revisiting it to see what has changed. Cheers

3.18/5  rDev -17.2%

I had this one on tap over at Pizza Paradiso in DC.

A: Pitch black, with about a one inch head. The brew was so dark that I honestly couldn't even see if there was any carbonation.

S: Dates, brown sugar, and molasses were very prominent.

T: Not sweet at all, but not bitter either. This one is definitely not a "coffee" IS. I would describe this one as a fairly smooth chocolate milkshake, as opposed to a bitter, dark chocolate dessert drink. I still a bit surprise by how thin this seems compared to most ISs I've tried, and it doesn't have that dark cinnamon afterburn that I've come to expect from the style.

M: Quite a bit of glass lacing, but I never really noticed anything too offensive palate-wise. However, the cigarette "ash" lingering is not pleasant.

D: Fairly smooth, even for the high ABV. I still would not seek this one out.

Overall: I've seen this one in the store, and the price is outrageous relative to the product.

3.25/5  rDev -15.4%

3.32/5  rDev -13.5%

From 32oz growler to Bruges hybrid glass on 2/6/11

A: A reasonably forceful pour yields a one finger head that looks like chocolate mocha froth. As it dissipates, there is an abundance of gorgeous lacing that rims the glass. Rich mahogany in color.

S: Chocolate malts and alcohol esters hit the nose first, and quickly evaporate into an off-putting coppery, ironish and altogether metallic intrusion into my nostrils. I thought it may be my glass, but sadly it's not as I try another vessel with the same outcome.

T: Boozy sweet, malt and hard caramel toffee. As it moves further back on my palate, I get a lot of unsweetened dark baking chocolate. The finish keeps in line, as it's slighty burnt and smoky.

M: Slick like oil. Not quite what I'd expected. The carbonation level is reasonable, though this is not an overly viscous impy stout.

O: Not the badass beer I was hoping for, but it's certainly not a bad brew either. The biggest putoff was the nose - it really kept me from wanting more then a sip here or there. If the Allagash crew could get that worked out, they have the makings for a reasonable stout here.

3.38/5  rDev -12%

Bottle. Poured into a NB tulip glass a dark brown color with a slight tan head. Roasty, chocolate, and slight molasses with some smokiness. Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. The taste is pretty interesting, starts off with a slight sweetness followed by a roasty chocoloate flavor with leather and a bitterness that isn't that great at the end. Both the taste and the aroma has an odd flavor and taste that throws me off and I'm not sure if I like it or not.

3.46/5  rDev -9.9%

750ml bottle into my Stone IRS glass. It poured black in color with a thin tan head covering the top of the beer.

The aroma shows some of the chocolate coming out and mixing with some sweeter, malty flavors. I get some dark fruit flavors adding a little more crisp sweetness along with just a hint of a roasty flavor to it as well.

The taste shows a lot of chocolate to it throughout. I get more of a dark, bitter-sweet chocolate at first, while the finish shows more milk chocolate and sweeter dark fruits. A little bit of a roasty, bitter flavor is there lingering in the finish as well.

The mouthfeel is on the heavier side with carbonation being average for the style. Overall it was a pretty decent beer, but not an outstanding one in the style. The chocolate was nice, but it just didn't seem to have the depth or balance that the great ones of the style achieve. Enjoyable beer to sip on this evening though.

3.46/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Reviewed from notes...Nice pour, jet black big puffy mocha head with grabby lacing. Aroma is confused between coffee, deep cacao, and licorice/vanilla, but these aroma all fight and aren't in harmony. The flavor is much the same. Component flavors cocoa, vanilla, big coffee, and tobacco are there but fight one another and end up being an acrid mess. Super dry with a day long finish that tastes of cigar tobacco and ash. I'm glad my drinking buddy ordered a beer he didn't like and I did cause we traded. Won't be revisiting this one, and Allagash is one of my favorit breweries.

3.48/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

2010 Fresh. 750ml Bottle

A: Came in a 750 with "Allagash Fluxus. Stout brewed with cacao nibs." label. Poured a pretty viscous black into a Beatles pint glass. Produced a toffee-tan thick head from an aggressive pour. The head then reduced to about half a finger. Decent amount of lacing. Not much light shines through this beer.

S: Not particular volatile--subtle nose of figs/currants, warm burnt toast, and deep mocha.

T: More aggressive than expected. Bitter chocolate with some alcohol warmth and a hint of coffee. Some hops come through, but barely detectable. Dark cereals with dark chocolate and bitter chocolate aftertaste.

M: Thick mouthfeel with a light carbonation. Not too smooth.

D: Not very drinkable. I got an occasional bourbon-like burn. Sipping is okay, but definitely not a session beer.

Notes: Beer was alright, but I really think it could do with a little aging to mellow out the flavors. Kicked me in the mouth a little more then I wanted. I actually ended up tossing a scoop of vanilla ice cream into my glass about halfway through (blasphemy!) which GREATLY improved the taste, mouthful, and drinkability.

3.51/5  rDev -8.6%

Allagash is a pretty neat brewery. I have come to know their other beers and especially love the Curieux (so good). I've never had the chance to drink one of the Fluxus beers before so this is my first.

After finding something cool to shoot with the cork I poured myself a glass. A decent head formed and hung around for a bit. While I was waiting I noticed that the beer was not all that fragrant. I had to put my nose to the glass to get a whiff. The beer smelled lighter than the darkness that poured out and it kind of had a little bite of a sour note. Never knowing what to expect flavor wise with Allagash I proceeded with caution. Taking my first sip I was relieved that it was not a sour beer. I like sour beers I just was not in to mood for one. The beer tasted like grapes to me. I don't know maybe my taste buds were messed up but grapes. The taste was also bucking my expectations for a dark beer. The mouth feel was nice and light. While this beer formed a decent head there was not very much carbonation. I said that the first sip tasted like grapes. The end of the beer still tasted a bit fruity mixed with a decent brown.

In conclusion I enjoyed this beer. The flavor was interesting and by interesting I mean enjoyable. I wouldn't put this at the top of my list yet but its pretty darn good so pick one up and try it. My local beer stores in San Diego are selling a big bottle for $18.99.

Allagash Fluxus 2010 from Allagash Brewing Company