Allagash Coolship Balaton - Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Coolship BalatonAllagash Coolship Balaton

Allagash Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Lambic - Fruit |  5.90% ABV

Coolship Balaton was made by aging our spontaneous beer with Maine grown Balaton cherries. This was our first attempt at making our Cerise. Ultimately, we decided to do a cherry blend for that beer, so it is likely that we will not make Coolship Balaton again.

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-24-2011)
Reviews by BearsOnAcid:
4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Light reddish color; dissipating head

This shit smells like fresh cantillon kriek. Spicy/cinnamon/vanilla cherries and dirty funk. Very fragrant.

Big cherry cinnamon flavor combo off the bat. Bitter funky bite. Clean finish. This is like a less sour version of cantillon kriek but more of a spiciness to it. Impressive fruited sour.

4.13/5  rDev -2.4%

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #57 (October 2011):

Most approachable of all the current coolship offerings. There’s a lot of balance here. Very drinkable. The balaton cherries really stand out. Two-plus years of maturing with four-plus months on the local balaton cherries, this one has hit its mark already. Perhaps age can bring it closer to perfection, but right now, it’s damn tasty.

LOOK: Deep rose

SMELL: Medicinal, musty, sweet dark cherry, spice

TASTE: Mildly tart, cherry juice, oaky, dry, green apple, lemon pith, chalky, musty

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Shared a bottle that my wife picked up. She was to eager to wait so naturally I caved as well.

The beer pops with a red tipped cork. Lots of "mist" come out of the top. My bottle must have been a little to cold as it soon erupted out the top. My tasting came quicker then I expected. As the beer subsided I poured into my wife's and my glass.

The beer is opaque, red almost like a red grapefruit. A wispy head forms and dissipates in true fashion.

The aroma is well sour, cherries in the back with a big very natural earthiness. this aroma is complex, more complex then most sours I've come into contact with.

The taste ,well to be honest at first I wasn't impressed. After a minute it hit me, cherries a woody, not barrel but like a fresh tree. The flavor in the end is pleasant and lingers but on the tip of the tongue. the sour taste comes in after the carbonation subsides. Very nice.

I enjoy sours and this was certainly not a letdown. My wife put it best. This is a fun beer I love drinking it, its easy and flavorful, but alas this is not Red.

3.75/5  rDev -11.3%

4.43/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2 of 5 coolship beers shared by dsgolovin. Thanks, David.

Hazy, watery pink with a thin, rapidly vanishing head. Depth of color isn't great compared to real fruit lambic.

Smells really nice, very fruit dominant, tart and sweet, with vanilla and almond beneath the cherries. There's a faint plastic note that seems characteristic of the coolships.

The palate isn't quite as good as the nose, probably more of a 4.25, but it's good enough that I'm inclined to round up. The juicy and tart cherry character is dominant, largely sour with a touch of sweetness. Vanilla and almond provide a nice layer of flavor beneath the fruit. The mouthfeel is better than Coolship Red or Cerise - it feels less watery.

Impressive stuff, one of the best American takes on a kriek I've tried.

4.1/5  rDev -3.1%

Bottled October 2010, been in my personal cellar since

Pours a cloudy orange red color, no head and appears to have very little carbonation at all, no lacing on the glass.

Smell has a nice smell of tart cherries even after all this time, very mild vinegar scent on the nose.

Taste is on the milder side of sours without a very strong acidic/vinegar kick which is nice, the cherries have a large role and add a nice fruity tartness without being sweet, a bit of a musty presence and a mild oak barrel aspect that doesn't overwhelming, carbonation is low but more than present once it hits the mouth.

3.5/5  rDev -17.3%

Served in an Allagash coolship tumbler. Nose is bright cherries and some mild earth. Cherry isn’t overpowering, but is quite nice. Moderately sour and fairly dry. Was glad to get this one alongside the rest of the Coolship Series. It was especially interesting to get the two cherry beers side by side.

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a pinkish color with an off-white head. Strong cherry aroma with a nice fruitiness overall. There’s a bit of berry to it and a mild spice/cinnamon quality to it. A hint of funk, mostly grass. A bit of oak in there as well. The flavor has a pleasant fruitiness and nice cherry qualities. The same mild spice notes which add a good complexity to the beer. Just a touch of water, but good otherwise. Some oak, grass, and lemon peel, too.

4.45/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

thank you a million to Gary for sending these our way...shared with Mike and Scott side-by-side with Red and Cerise.

a - looks just as red as the coolship red but the balaton has a more defined head.

s - cherries. fresh cherry juice.

t - fresh cherry with some sour funk.

m - good carbonation and a bit drying.

o - a very close second to the coolship red. i found this one growing on me the more i drank it and of the three, this is the one i would want another of to hang onto...it is really a wonderful beer.

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%

375 mL bottle into a Grand Bordeaux wine glass: bottled Oct 2010.

A: light reddish pink, like grapefruit, in color. Minimal white head, no lacing. Very unique and I like the look of this beer.

S: very different. Certainly a wild ale. Initially I get some fresh funk consistent with a sour ale, and the it immediately goes to this odd chlorinated smell (honestly, like a swimming pool). Not necessarily bad though. There is some fruit aroma as well, I suspect from the cherries.

T: definitely get sour cherry/sour apple on the palate as well as some funky fresh aroma/taste that is present amongst most wild ales. A good taste but not great or earth shattering.

M: not anything that special, minimal carbonation and not crisp or smooth feeling really. Is more like a juice in terms of mouth feel. No alcohol on the palate at all.

O: This is a very interesting beer and I'm extremely glad to have tried it. I commend Allagash sincerely for pushing this ancient way of brewing with their Coolship releases. However, I'm not totally stoked on this particular beer in terms of it's aroma and taste. I have a few in my cellar: one I will share with my Night Float team next month and the others I will probably trade. A good and interesting beer, nonetheless, and I recommend it.

Allagash Coolship Balaton from Allagash Brewing Company