Allagash FV 13 - Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash FV 13Allagash FV 13

Allagash Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

American Wild Ale |  8.90% ABV

FV 13 marks our first venture into the world of foudre beers. Foudres are giant oak tanks used for aging (this one holds 2700 gallons.) FV 13 is a blend of wild yeast and bacteria, a base beer with lots of malt character, and about four years of patience.

(Beer added by: Jason on 01-09-2013)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Allagash FV 13 Alström Bros
4.29/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

On-tap at Thirsty Monk, Asheville, NC

A: The beer is hazy amber-brown in color. It poured with a thin white head that died down, leaving a thin layer of bubbles on the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Moderately strong aromas of sourness are present in the nose.
T: Like the smell, the overall taste is rather sour, but the sour flavors doesn't quite have the intensity that is exhibited in the sour aromas.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied and quite tart on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: I found this to be a very pleasant drinking wild ale as it wasn't too sour. I would have no problem drinking more than one of these in a sitting.

4.25/5  rDev -0.9%

4.25/5  rDev -0.9%

3.9/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Received via trade with Number45Forever, thanks Bill.

FV13 pours a dark Garnet with red edges. Very bubbles break the surface after an aggressive pour. The aroma is excellent. Dark cherries, sweet malt, acetic, lactic, vinous. The flavors follow the aroma but not nearly as intense. This beer is fairly well balanced with just a hint too much of an Acetic character. I'd have liked a little more Lactic character. This borders on a Flanders Red with the contrasting sweet and sour components.

The mouthfeel was medium to just under full bodied with minimal carbonation.

Overall it was an enjoyable beer but at over $1 per oz, I think I'll skip going for it again.

3.7/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

The beer pours a ruddy orange/red with a big tight creamy yellow/white head of tiny, small packed bubbles. In body the beer appears clean but hazy with lots of bubbles racing to replenish the head. On the nose, the beer smells of funky cherry fruit leather with a smell resting below these scents and adding a malty backbone to the yeast funk. There is a touch of deep funk in this beer as well that I can’t decide if I like it or not… It is prickly on the nose with hints of pineapple, then pine, and then compost, but it is not particularly displeasing, just a little odd. On the tongue, the beer tastes funky acidic and then very oddly bitter. At first I thought I might have an infected bottle, but as I let the beer sit and I sipped it more, some of the off flavors, oddly, mellowed out and the beer became not bad. I have had this beer before on tap, however, and it was far fruitier and more interesting then. In flavor the beer begins with tart green apple but then opens into weird grassy bitter and pear and apricot notes, with funky cherry fruit leather thrown in. The beer then mellows out into smooth malty brown sugar notes with light caramel and funky notes thrown in. Throughout the taste, the bitter occasionally become unappetizingly medicinal with a touch of compost added in, which takes away from the taste. The tart green apple flavors seem to linger in the mouth throughout the taste and then return in the aftertaste to leave a nice pucker along with a lingering bitter medicinal flavoring. In the mouth the beer feels on the heavier side of light with prickly carbonation that is soft and fluffy except for its bite. The mouth is left puckering and oddly bitter with a weird saltiness as well. There is a decent amount of saliva filling the mouth to neutralize the acid. Overall, this is a weird beer. I don’t think this one held up as well in the bottle, and I probably wouldn’t spend the money on it. This is an alright beer but it has off tastes and a weird, chemically bitterness that gets better but is never that great on the tongue. That being said, I only realized now that this beer is 8.9% alcohol, which is impressive. This is an interesting beer. If Allagash can perfect bottling what they served on tap for this beer, then it will be amazing, but as it is, it falls short. An okay beer that I would like to see improve.

4.05/5  rDev -5.6%

375mL bottle poured into an Allagash chalice. Bottled 12/21/12.

A - Pours a nice chestnut brown with a three finger pillow of vanilla head. As the head dies, serious lacing remains. Impressive looking, especially considering how difficult it is to refine the carbonation levels on a beer like this. Well done.

S - Smells of dried banana chips, granny smith apple, and coriander. Some bretty funk plays well off the fruity aroma. Graham cracker malts balance.

T - Lactic sourness hits the tongue first. Contributing notes of cherry, pear, and apple cider vinegar. Vanilla and oak add subtle balance to the powerful sour flavors. The slightest bit of astringency lingers after each sip.

M - Crisp, tannic feel. Carbonation is right where it should be. Bubbly, but not overly so.

O - I can't say I have had a bad beer from Allagash and this is no exception. Powerful fruity sour notes make for a deliciously complex brew. I would rate it higher if not for the slightly astringent aftertaste (I am particularly sensitive to this in some Brett beers). I would recommend this to a friend, but at $1/oz. I probably won't rush back to the store to grab more.

4.44/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Corked and caged 12.7 oz bottle dated 11/29/2012 poured into an Allagash glass.

A: Initially when I poured this it appeared that it was going to be a dark blonde color. As the glass filled up it became a reddish brown color. Looks nice.

S: Smells of oak and some tart. I pick up some green apple and maybe some pear. I didn't really pick up any alcohol, no real hop presence and maybe a little bit of malts.

T: Man, this is delicious. Some tart and green apple are the stars of this show. Some pear is picked up as well. The oak and vanilla really add another dimension to this brew. As someone who is just getting into wild ales, this is a very solid beer. I get the tart from the yeast, as well as the fruit and wood character.

M: A pretty medium mouthfeel. The carbonation is ideal and the finish is dry and crisp. The lack of alcohol present really makes this an enjoyable experience.

Overall: As my first full bottle of the American Wild Ale style, I can truly say that I'm extremely impressed. I'm a supporter of Allagash and everything they do, so it was only natural that my first experience with my style would be brewed by them. Their coolship program is definitely paying dividends and I really can't wait to crack open the Cerise I have.

3.5/5  rDev -18.4%

3.88/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Cost was $16.00 at my go-to bottle shop here in SoCal. 12.7 fl oz brown glass bottle with hood and wire cap over a cork served into a Mitchells of Lancaster flared stem-tulip in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are very high; I believe this is my first Allagash sour (as in sour, not just funky). Bottled 11/29/12; it's about 6 months old now. "Ale aged in oak barrels." 8.9% ABV confirmed.

Served chilled; I don't like my sours too cold. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

As I unwrap the cage, I notice the cork has some artwork on it. Interesting. Cork sits in the bottle until I pull it out. Cork comes out easily by hand, yielding a satisfying pop but the beer doesn't rise; carbonation seems perfect so far.

A: Pours a two finger white colour head. Thickness is okay. No lacing as the head recedes. Light cream. It isn't particularly frothy. The head seems somewhat thin and rather gentle. Retention is decent for the ABV - about 3 minutes. Body colour is a gorgeous vibrant orange-gold. Translucent but not transparent; at best I can see the shadow of my finger on the opposite side of the glass when looking through the beer. It's looking classy and understated for a sour; I'm looking forward to trying it.

Sm: Nice oak - not particularly deep or evocative but unmistakable. Has a definite barrel redolence. Plentiful lacto yeast notes; it doesn't come off as a lambic or a tart sour - just a lacto-bomb. It's pretty timid otherwise; little malt character and no detectable hop notes or alcohol. Hints of light wine - perhaps white wine or a fine sherry. Palpable acidity. Some buried cherry fruit. Fleeting vanilla. What little malt character does come through is just a mellow breadiness - there to support the finer notes but not to draw attention to itself. Not really tart at all. Not all that sour based on the aroma either. Mild in strength. This should be interesting.

T: Luxurious white cherry with some softening vanilla helping to balance the fairly high acidity. Sourness comes from pure lacto; not getting much tartness or funk here. Lightly cidery. Some rustic farmhouse notes on the climax. Bready malts comprise the unobtrusive plain foundation. Oak tones throughout. Notes of sherry/light white wine are subtly executed. Subtlety is definitely the objective here; its character is light and subdued. Not much complexity, but excellent balance. I do wish it were more sour - or at least a biteen tart. Light peach. Well-built for the style, if a bit wanting in terms of sour character. It could bring more to the table in terms of depth of flavour, but it's quite pleasant and enjoyable.

Mf: Moderately dry, evoking both sherry and crisp perry or cider. Perfect carbonation. Fairly high acidity. It's never biting or sharp. Very mellow and drinkable, suiting the flavour profile nicely. Smooth and approachable. Well executed for the style. Complements the flavour profile marvelously, but it doesn't feel custom-tailored to it.

Dr: Increasingly, it's becoming obvious to me that Allagash values subtlety in their "sours"; the subtlety here is masterful. Though it may not be as sour as I'd like, it's a well-balanced and well-executed beer for the style and I'd have it again if it weren't for the high pricetag. Definitely nice to try once, but it didn't blow me away like I hoped. There are better sours with wider availability to be had at a better price. Alcohol is very well concealed. Obscenely drinkable; I can't wait for the next sip. A lovely brew from Allagash, and one I'm glad to have gotten to try.

B+

4.06/5  rDev -5.4%

Thanks to jtd1969 for sharing this one with me.

A - amber with a thin, off white lacing of head

S - apples, tart, sour

T - apple, pear, tart, a little bready, malty

M - medium bodied, well carbonated, crisp

This is a really nice beer. It's richly malty, estery, and tart. It's almost exactly what I want in a Wild Ale. This is definitely worth a try.

Allagash FV 13 from Allagash Brewing Company