König Pilsener - König-Brauerei GmbH

König PilsenerKönig Pilsener

König-Brauerei GmbH visit their website
Germany

German Pilsener |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-24-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of König Pilsener Alström Bros

4.83/5  rDev +28.5%

The King! I wonder if mwa423 has had this yet ... I sprechen ein kleiner du Deutch, so I CAN understand some of what is printed on the CAN.

From the CAN: "Das Konig der Biere (the King of Beer); Purum Laudatur (Purest [Highest] Praise); Gebraut nach dem Reinheitzgebot von 1516 (Brewed According to the Reinheitsgebot [Purity Law] of 1516)".

My glugging pour, following a loud Crack!, produced a finger of fluffy, bone-white head floating atop the beer like clouds drifting overhead. Color was a pale lemon-yellow color with NE-plus clarity that would make any BMC drinker weep for this level of clarity. No boostin'! Nose was Saaz hops to the max! GER Pilsener?!? Not by my reckoning! Bohemian/Czech Pils, more like. I could weep for what Prohibition resulted in for us. AALs are the worst! Mouthfeel was silky with a big, soft hops flavor, like spearmint, on the tongue. Shazam, but this was fantastic! I got some maltiness, but hops were king here. Finish was literally breathtaking. If you have ever smoked a menthol cigarette, you will understand. This was clean, minty, slightly malty, but very dry. Wow! Finish lingered with a minty hoppiness. There was no question that this was hop-driven, but I wonder how well they would have held up in a bottle. This is one instance where I CAN encourage CANphobic drinkers to give a King a chance. I am pushing things around in my cooler to make room even as we speak. See you on the beach!

Photo of
4.72/5  rDev +25.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I love this beer - and I'm not just saying that because it was being sold at my local grocer in 500ML can four-packs (that's two liters of actual european pilsner beer people!) for the princely sum of $4.57. Let me try to explain why this beer rocks: it rocks because it has something other lesser beers typically lack. It has staying power. By that I mean it goes down extremely well on the first luscious gulp, but continues to go down just like that throughout the whole half-liter can. Very few beers manage to achieve that. And for me, it has one of the best combinations of taste and "refrenshing-ness" (if I can coin a term) that I have ever experienced in a pilsner. So, to summarize: go out and get this beer and see for yourself if it isn't really pleasing. I'm pretty confident you'll agree.

4.71/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Crisp, clear, mouth feel.

Not overly carbonated.

Excellent permeation of pils flavor and good to last dreg.

Typically I find this beer on sale at the Piggly Wiggly, in 4 packs.

I consider an excellent pils like this a highly underated beer in a land flowing with mediocre to horrible lagers, and overpriced over ABV'd microbrews. This is the beer you need when you want a beer that goes right down the middle in excellent form.

4.63/5  rDev +23.1%

Appearance - clear straw color with fluffy white head

Smell - grass, wheat, cracker, hint of black pepper

Taste - lemon zest, grassy flavor, wheat, cracker, malt, hint of black pepper

Mouthfeel - crisp, refreshing beer, light end of being medium bodied without being thin, medium carbonation, slightly sweet, hint of bitterness on the end to keep this balanced

Overall - this is an excellent pilsener, the best I've had thus far for consumption at home, I would suggest getting this in a can as this is probably the closest iteration to the true integrity of what this beer is supposed to taste like. Will make this a staple in my fridge

Price Point - $5.99/ 4pk 16.9 oz cans

4.63/5  rDev +23.1%

A classic golden pilsner with about 1 finger of head that settles quickly with a nice lacing. A distinct aroma of grains with a slight hint of citrus. This is a very good tasting beer for the style. I taste perfectly malted grains. None of the skunk that I normally get with the mass market German or Dutch lagers. Probably the best of the German Pilsners I've tried. I really appreciate the creamy texture which is rare for a pilsner style. This is my new go to Pilsner. I wish that I'd found it sooner.

4.63/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

First pour I wasn't so sure, head was not there. I realized then I had a terrible pour. The second pour into a pilsner glass was excellent. A beer needs a good head for aroma and presentation, this fit the bill nicely. Head is excellent, it charges the liguid forming from the head. Nice bright white head with pervasive lacing. Nice deep grainy notes on the nose. For a mass produced beer this is impressive. Quality is top notch, no cutting corners here. I find myself keeping my nose nailed to the glass. Aroma keeps you stationary. Good sign when I habitually keep doing that. The color rendition is beautiful, nice light straw color that doesn't deceive you. Very smooth with light carbonation.There is plenty of desirability here. This is another pilsner on the top.

Awesome beer!

4.6/5  rDev +22.3%

Konig Pilsner has a thick, soapy, white head, and a somewhat hazy yellow straw appearance, with lots of little white floating particles visible throughout the beer. A few streaming bubbles are seen, and a good amount of lacing is left on the glass. The aroma is faint, but one can detect some lightly-roasted malt. Taste is of sweet biscuit, lightly-roasted malt, sweetness, and it closes with an outstanding, grassy hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is light to medium, and Konig Pilsener finishes crisp, clean, refreshing, and mostly dry. This not a perfect beer, but it is not far from it. I insist that you try it!

RJT

4.6/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Bought a 12 oz single for 89 cents at the local liquor mart. Cheaper than bottled water fercrissakes. Said "BIT 07" on the back, so I'm thinking less than a year old.

Appearance was perfectly golden, a nice frothy head with some lacing. A steady column of bubbles from the bottom of my mug. Just what a pilsener should look like.

The smell was of grass and earthiness .. right away I picked up those classic Saaz hop aromas. A little bit of citrus comes out with a few swirls.

The taste was that grass/earthiness of the Saaz, with a sweetness coming at the end from the malt. Nothing too fancy here. Towards the end, the bitterness from the hops came out. Very well-balanced.

I had this really cold and it's already hot here in Texas, so it went down in less than five minutes. Drinkability is off the charts and I'm getting a case tomorrow. A great everyday drinking beer ...

4.6/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

One of the best German Pils brought into the U.S., both on draft and when fresh in bottles. Pours straw/golden with virtually no haze into my 0.5L mug. Glorious carbonation and good size and retention of contrasting white head. Nose is clean, light, lemony, with a whiff of herbal elements. Palate has a great combination of rather clean malty flavors and delightful herbal hoppy flavors to balance things nicely. No skunk. Zero. Finish is more of the herbal hops. Incredibly easy drinking and a great example of the style as far as what we have for options here in the U.S.

4.59/5  rDev +22.1%

16 oz. can poured into pilsener

L: classic light gold, crystal clear; poured it pretty lightly, so the white foam head was minimal, not even half an inch with no stick (nothing to stick)

S: sweet biscuits ... again, all classic stuff here with bread malt sweetness; maybe a hint of grain, toasted grain

T: grassy green hop bite mixed with sweet bread ... some cereal grain in that malty sweetness; the hops are spicy, too, but this thing is fresh-mown grass green

F: with the lighter pour, this thing is fantastic! i'm a sucker for carbonation, and this one is full of it without ripping off your tongue. light and easy without feeling watery

O: i love pilseners, and i love Konig -- there isn't a thing wrong with this brew, and it's one i'll be going back to often

4.58/5  rDev +21.8%

I saw that this was one of the most favorable reviewed pilsners and then to my delight it was on sale at the lcbo so i decided to try it out.

Love the smell, nothing better than popping a can and holding it to your nose and inhaling that sweet, sweet beer aroma.

The colour is nice, similar to most pilsners - the golden colour but slightly darker, with a hint of amber. A thin, light head and nice aroma.

I thought it was a nice fresh tasting smooth beer. It had only a slight bitter taste and nice sharp finsih. The smoothness is the strongest characteristic of this brew.

The finish combined with the smoothness makes it a very drinkable beer which is great if you are going to slam a bunch of them. Another solid session beer from the German Pilseners.

A nice, solid pilsner. One of my favorite styles and this is def. one of my go-tos.

4.56/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The best widely available German Pilsner. The real deal, great with some burgers off the grill or some charcuterie and fromage. I wish they would bring in kegs so we could drink it on tap. Unfortunately for the most part US craft brewers feel the need for too many hops or too much malt to make a classic session style German Pilsner

4.5/5  rDev +19.7%