Arsenalnoye Krepkoye (Strong) - Baltika Breweries

Arsenalnoye Krepkoye (Strong)Arsenalnoye Krepkoye (Strong)

poor

Baltika Breweries visit their website
Russian Federation

Euro Strong Lager |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 06-28-2003)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by Bonhoeffer:
Bonhoeffer

Alabama

2.78/5  rDev +1.5%

Not as bad as it could have been. Like their #9, i purchased it without really knowing what i was getting myself into. Thought it would be maltier than it is.

Anyway, light on flavor and heavy on alcohol. Absolutely nothing impressive, but it's drinkable. Wasn't stinky or nasty. Just not all that great. If i was in Russsia, i could put a few of these down in the absence of anything better. Fortunately, i am able to get much better beer, and i will.

09-03-2005 19:08:36 | More by Bonhoeffer
RoyalT

Appearance – This came out a light urine-orange with no head.

Smell – This beer smells like pee, so I wonder when I take a piss if my urine will smell like beer? I mean, this stuff is just rancid. It smells like it’s been aged under a sunlamp.

Taste – It doesn’t taste like piss, thankfully. It tastes more like regurgitated creamed corn from the can. Actually, I threw up after eating about six yams once when I was a kid and, seriously, this takes me back to my youth.

Mouthfeel – This one is flat with little carbonation that produced a Listerine-like gag reflex. I finally burped . . . but I think I threw up a little.

Sinkability – I’d pour this down the sink except that Farmers threatened to cancel my homeowner’s insurance.

03-29-2005 03:30:05 | More by RoyalT
tigg924

2.9/5  rDev +5.8%

Appearance: minimal head and carbonation, gold in color, clear,

Smell: grass and toasted malt

Taste: grass, toasted malt, and sugar

Mouthfeel: moderately sweet, light bodied and carbonation

Drinkability: An overly sweet Euro lager that is typical of this brewery. Not bad, but probably nothing I am going to try again. Worth trying once.

04-03-2010 16:26:10 | More by tigg924
NeroFiddled

3.03/5  rDev +10.6%

A: Clear golden body. Frothy white head. Good retention. Better than average lacing.
S: Sweet adjunct maltiness. Alcohol. Some minor vegetal or earthy character.
T: Average, sweetish adjunct-laden maltiness. Alcohol is noticeable but not overdone, and generally expected in stronger Eastern European lagers. Mild herbal hops. Solid bitterness. Finishes dry with a light wash of alcohol.
M: Medium bodied with a very fine-bubbled, moderate carbonation.
D: Pretty average.

12-10-2006 03:47:47 | More by NeroFiddled
emerge077

3.5/5  rDev +27.7%

Best Before 9.18.11
"EXTRA LAGER" "ST. PETERSBURG BREWED IN RUSSIA"

From a 16.9 oz. glass bottle, not the plastic 2 liter.
Goofy label, just look at those printed grommets in the shield surrounding the label. Strong like bull!

Bright gold, white foam, sticky lacing. Slow rising carb trails.

Inoffensive sweet floral hop aroma. Wow, hops in a euro lager... don't smell that every day.

Mild flavor, inoffensive again. Tea like, sweet and grainy, mild bitterness. Pleasant aftertaste, slightly caramelly. Eventually dry in the finish, no hint of the 7% abv thankfully. A+ recommend, dziękuję!

08-21-2011 04:34:49 | More by emerge077
alexkor

1.25/5  rDev -54.4%

04-10-2014 02:35:21 | More by alexkor
tclapper

01-14-2012 05:00:45 | More by tclapper
metter98

2.8/5  rDev +2.2%

A: The beer is crystal clear yellow in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a thin bright white head that died down, leaving some bubbles on the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light aromas of apples are present in the nose along with hints of nondescript malts.
T: Much like the smell, the taste has flavors of apples with slight hints of sweetness. No alcohol is perceptible.
M: It feels nearly medium-bodied and clean on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is quite drinkable as the alcohol is very well masked and does not at all detract from the taste.

09-13-2013 00:09:03 | More by metter98
Brent

Kentucky

3.33/5  rDev +21.5%

Essentially malt liquor, but not all that bad. Coppery, leaning toward amber with a short-lived head. A little thin and astringent at first, but some lightly sugared malt flavor follows. Thins out a bit again toward the end, with a pleasingly clean finish. Alcohol does not do much to announce itself, although you can detect a touch of fusel alcohol if you try. Overall, one of the better in this class that I've had an opportunity to try, and better than any US counterpart malt liquor.

04-01-2006 06:12:30 | More by Brent
Noelito76

2.75/5  rDev +0.4%

11-19-2013 09:07:00 | More by Noelito76
MTNboy

Germany

2.98/5  rDev +8.8%

Appearance- It gas a bold golden body with a nice white head that disappears quickly.

Smell- It has strong citric hops aroma. Very crisp.

Taste- It has a very cheap flavor it is adjunct filled for the most part. It has a strange fruitiness to it and some mild citrus and hop tones.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied with average carbonation.

Drinkability- Oddly, it is not too bad.

09-28-2008 13:25:04 | More by MTNboy
Globetrotter

2.58/5  rDev -5.8%

Pours a slightly darker shade of gold, with a big fizzy head that disappears quickly. There is, however, some lace clinging to the side here. The smell is alcohol and a touch of rust, whereas the mouth is a bit heavy. The initial taste is a touch sour, alcohol kicking in as we head towards the finish. The aftertaste is sour. I can't find any hops here. Still, it is not repulsive, as many Russian strong beers are...

06-28-2003 11:26:02 | More by Globetrotter
woodychandler

2.53/5  rDev -7.7%

Holy Beer, Batman! This review is for a 2.5 liter plastic bottle, believe it or don't. I had better REALLY like this since I am going to be spending some serious time with it. No problem, since I have the Wisco/BC Women's Frozen Four on streaming live video to help keep me company.

Amidst all of the Cyrillic lettering on the label is a Bottled On date of 06.10.10 14:26 Best By date of 06.04.11. Oakle doakle!

Lots of carbonation evident and the pour produced a rocky finger of fizzy bone-white head with low retention. Color was a beautiful deep golden-yellow. Nose had a Juicyfruit bubble gum-like quality. Mouthfeel was thin, just above watery, with a powerful grapey-fruity taste in the mouth. Oof. It was not as pronounced as in a Minhas offering, but it was mighty dang close. It had a mild fusel heat to accompany the fruitness as though to add to the ... well, I won't say unpleasantness, but it was not a pleasure to drink this beer, either. Finish left a dry, cloying taste in my mouth and I knew that it was a harbinger of the headache/hangover to come. It was cheap, it was paid for and I wanted a beer for the hockey games, so it was not too bad in total. I would not recommend it as a casual drink but as an intriguing beer, it might be worth a try. I spent an evening with it (in total), watching hockey, so as an accompaniment to sports, it makes it. Otherwise, don't bother.

03-18-2011 22:30:04 | More by woodychandler
crossovert

2.13/5  rDev -22.3%

Big 1.5 liter plastic bottle. Stuck in the freezer for over 2 hours.

It smells like alcohol with some dark grains and sugar.

The taste is of caramel, paper, and alcohol.

Sort of watery, very alcoholic.

Only drink this to get drunk, not to savor it. It beats out 40oz of bmc in that regard and it was cheaper.

02-03-2011 02:07:59 | More by crossovert
WesWes

3.2/5  rDev +16.8%

The beer pours a nice gold color with a thin white head that quickly fades to spotty lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a sweet malty scent. There are no traces of the increased alcohol or any hops. It's clean and crisp. The taste is decent. It has a rich, malty flavor despite it's pale profile. It's quite sweet throughout with just a touch of hops in the finish. The mouthfeel is average. It is a medium/full bodied beer with less than adequate carbonation. This is an average Euro lager. It's way too sweet for me, but I guess it gets the job done for people looking for a quick buzz.

10-19-2007 23:39:17 | More by WesWes
eze153

1.7/5  rDev -38%

Well when I bought this one, I was thinking it was similar to Baltika's Number 6, well I was way off on that. let me tall you about the experience with the beer.

When I poured it there was a decent amount of head and through out the drinking experience there was a small head ever-present. The body was clean and clear... This was the best part of the beer.
The smell was a bit of a skunk, class A. I really thought that I was in for some skunked beer.
The taste was better than a skunked beer but not by much. It tasted like a low quality vodka mixed with beer. I even gagged on the first gulp, and my girlfriend thought that it was like a traditional, National, American Lager. Though I think I would rather drink a Miller lite over this one. I would never drink this beer again nor would I recommend this to anyone else.

01-16-2006 02:15:11 | More by eze153
TheLongBeachBum

2.93/5  rDev +6.9%

Presentation: Bless my little cotton Commie socks. A beer from Baltika which doesn’t have a number! One of the great things about living in LA is the multi-cultural atmosphere I work in, my work colleagues know my love for beer and often I get unexpected gifts from some obscure places, this is one of them from a fellow Engineer formerly of Russia. A metric sized half-litre (500ml) brown glass bottle, labeled as 1 Pint 0.9 fluid ounces for the US market. The label is all foreign to me though, none of this translated “Arsenalnoye” rubbish, my bottle has the word “APCEHAΛБHOE” which translates as “Beer from the Arsenal”, in rough speak above the words “Extra Lager” in a smaller white text. The Arsenal heritage is borne out by the symbol atop the main label, a pair of dueling flintlock pistols crossed over a large letter “A” in a red circle. Main crown cap is red and has the text ““APCEHAΛБHOE ПОВО”. Listed as Alc. 7.0% by Vol. with a Production Date of 03.08.05 and Best before Date of 03.08.06.

Appearance: Tremendous head on the pour, an expansive white jobby which stays at around 1-2” for some time and only slowly collapses, but always leaves a decent covering. Faded golden body with a pale-straw super-lucid clarity. A handful of streamers with average carbonation levels. Soft lacing which soon slides down back into the body of the Lager.

Nose: Low strength aromas, I struggled to get anything at first, but I managed to get a reasonable guess at what was going on before the beer completely disappeared.

Taste: Biscuit malts, pale and lightly toasted with some sweetness and a little grassy bitterness in the finish. Very “middle of the road”, it never strays from the tried-and-tested Lager formula, but there again neither does it suffer the awful “adjunct” laden sweet corn soaked in high alcohol crappy tastes that many East-Euro 5%+ Lagers project. Clean enough to enjoy but simple enough to forget.

Mouthfeel: Never found the alleged 7% alcohol, unless it was asleep and waiting to kick my ass later on. Conditioning was good enough to add a smooth aspect and the lightly chilled body which kept the tastes in check. It felt OK, nothing great but good enough.

Drinkability: I must stay that I really did not mind this one, not mediocre but nothing more than average. Simple enough with a clean profile, and I certainly wouldn’t turn this one away at a Russian BBQ if it were offered.

Overall: Not that bad actually, rather surprised in fact. But still just OK.

06-15-2006 03:17:53 | More by TheLongBeachBum
Zraly

2.58/5  rDev -5.8%

Pours a clear, pale gold with a white head that fizzes down to nothing. Smell of sweet grains and applesauce.

Very sweet and in the vein of Euro-style lagers. Notes of pear and apple predominate. Hops are but a whisper. Carbonation helps lift flavors off of the palate a bit but doesn't carry enough into the finish. Finish is prickly and residual sweetness lingers a bit longer than I'd like. 7% ABV is well-hidden.

At first, I quite liked the way it drank but as I drink it more, my opinion is changing a bit. Not as smooth and well-rounded as I'd like; more hop presence would do this some good. Glad I split it. Even then, we were unable to finish.

01-15-2012 23:43:49 | More by Zraly
Olivander

4.13/5  rDev +50.7%

Appearance - It's got a nice dark golden color with about a 1/2 inch white head that dissipates fairly quickly. It doesn't have a memorable appearance, but it certainly looks good in a glass.

Smell - Nothing special. There was not much of an aroma at all.

Taste- I love the taste of this beer! It's got a prevalent syrupy sweetness to it, almost like a pancake, that is very pleasant. Some might think it's a little too sweet, but I like that in a beer, so it struck me well. For 7% ABV, you can't taste much alcohol. Delicious! Especially for those who aren't big beer drinkers.

Mouthfeel- Pleasant to the touch. Lightly carbonated and goes down easy, especially for 7% ABV.

Drinkability- Very drinkable. The sweetness makes it easy to drink a lot of this stuff.

Overall, considering that I am able to get this stuff at a local liquor store for $0.99 per half liter bottle and mainly care about the last three categories, this is a tremendous buy for me! Experienced beer drinkers will likely consider this beer to be average, but many inexperienced drinkers will find this to be a delight.

12-31-2009 18:39:36 | More by Olivander
ColForbinBC

2.53/5  rDev -7.7%

16.9oz bottle poured into a pint glass

Pours an extremely clear yellow with a one finger bone white cap. The head fell to nothing rather quickly and left a thin collar around the glass.

Aroma of pears and green apples and some floral hops. I think this guy might be a little passed its prime.

The flavor follows the nose. Green apples and pears with some floral hops. A slight metallic taste on the back end.

Light on the palate, easy drinking. Not much in the lines of flavor, but what is there is a little off putting.

This is my first of the style, and I am not sure where this one falls in the mix, but this might not be a style for me.

11-19-2011 04:27:12 | More by ColForbinBC
Derranged

3.2/5  rDev +16.8%

16 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Dark golden in color with a two inch white head.

Smell: This was a pleasant surprise. Sweet, floral notes and hops.. Not kidding, I never thought I'd smell hops in a beer a like this.

Taste- This was not bad at all. Very sweet, bready, white grapes, sugar, slightly metallic, slightly bitter and just a touch of alcohol.

Mouthfeel- Flat, thick and syrupy.

Overall- For what it is, it's pretty good- A cheap buzz with a tolerable and decent taste. It is really really sweet though, I couldn't drink too many of these.

04-19-2011 23:25:17 | More by Derranged
Doodler

Colorado

01-26-2012 03:50:41 | More by Doodler
ybnorml

Rhode Island

3.53/5  rDev +28.8%

A clean yellow/golden yellow beer. Has a big foamy bright white head that leaves a good lace. The aroma is a sweet grass with a hint of lemon and a light biscuit malt in the background. The flavor starts with a strong rush of alcohol into your mouth. Followed by a light malt sweet and a light hop pricklyness on the back of your tongue.

03-20-2005 19:19:59 | More by ybnorml