Arsenalnoye Krepkoye (Strong) - Baltika Breweries

Arsenalnoye Krepkoye (Strong)Arsenalnoye Krepkoye (Strong)

poor

Baltika Breweries visit their website
Russian Federation

Euro Strong Lager |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 06-28-2003)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

1.25/5  rDev -53.5%

1.7/5  rDev -36.8%

Well when I bought this one, I was thinking it was similar to Baltika's Number 6, well I was way off on that. let me tall you about the experience with the beer.

When I poured it there was a decent amount of head and through out the drinking experience there was a small head ever-present. The body was clean and clear... This was the best part of the beer.
The smell was a bit of a skunk, class A. I really thought that I was in for some skunked beer.
The taste was better than a skunked beer but not by much. It tasted like a low quality vodka mixed with beer. I even gagged on the first gulp, and my girlfriend thought that it was like a traditional, National, American Lager. Though I think I would rather drink a Miller lite over this one. I would never drink this beer again nor would I recommend this to anyone else.

1.73/5  rDev -35.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Arsenalnoye Krepkoye is a slightly hazy golden lager with a thin white head that vanishes instantly. It has a very sweet aroma like malt extract and maybe corn syrup. It's medium bodied; dusty and gritty with a watery finish. It tastes very sweet, like malt extract in water. I can't really taste the booze, though. This 51 oz. bottle is trouble. I knew it from the moment I saw it and it didn't let me down. The bottle is plastic, which isn't very effective in a brawl. I just see that as a reasonable safety precaution.

Appearance – This came out a light urine-orange with no head.

Smell – This beer smells like pee, so I wonder when I take a piss if my urine will smell like beer? I mean, this stuff is just rancid. It smells like it’s been aged under a sunlamp.

Taste – It doesn’t taste like piss, thankfully. It tastes more like regurgitated creamed corn from the can. Actually, I threw up after eating about six yams once when I was a kid and, seriously, this takes me back to my youth.

Mouthfeel – This one is flat with little carbonation that produced a Listerine-like gag reflex. I finally burped . . . but I think I threw up a little.

Sinkability – I’d pour this down the sink except that Farmers threatened to cancel my homeowner’s insurance.

2.13/5  rDev -20.8%

Big 1.5 liter plastic bottle. Stuck in the freezer for over 2 hours.

It smells like alcohol with some dark grains and sugar.

The taste is of caramel, paper, and alcohol.

Sort of watery, very alcoholic.

Only drink this to get drunk, not to savor it. It beats out 40oz of bmc in that regard and it was cheaper.

2.53/5  rDev -5.9%

Holy Beer, Batman! This review is for a 2.5 liter plastic bottle, believe it or don't. I had better REALLY like this since I am going to be spending some serious time with it. No problem, since I have the Wisco/BC Women's Frozen Four on streaming live video to help keep me company.

Amidst all of the Cyrillic lettering on the label is a Bottled On date of 06.10.10 14:26 Best By date of 06.04.11. Oakle doakle!

Lots of carbonation evident and the pour produced a rocky finger of fizzy bone-white head with low retention. Color was a beautiful deep golden-yellow. Nose had a Juicyfruit bubble gum-like quality. Mouthfeel was thin, just above watery, with a powerful grapey-fruity taste in the mouth. Oof. It was not as pronounced as in a Minhas offering, but it was mighty dang close. It had a mild fusel heat to accompany the fruitness as though to add to the ... well, I won't say unpleasantness, but it was not a pleasure to drink this beer, either. Finish left a dry, cloying taste in my mouth and I knew that it was a harbinger of the headache/hangover to come. It was cheap, it was paid for and I wanted a beer for the hockey games, so it was not too bad in total. I would not recommend it as a casual drink but as an intriguing beer, it might be worth a try. I spent an evening with it (in total), watching hockey, so as an accompaniment to sports, it makes it. Otherwise, don't bother.

2.53/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

16.9oz bottle poured into a pint glass

Pours an extremely clear yellow with a one finger bone white cap. The head fell to nothing rather quickly and left a thin collar around the glass.

Aroma of pears and green apples and some floral hops. I think this guy might be a little passed its prime.

The flavor follows the nose. Green apples and pears with some floral hops. A slight metallic taste on the back end.

Light on the palate, easy drinking. Not much in the lines of flavor, but what is there is a little off putting.

This is my first of the style, and I am not sure where this one falls in the mix, but this might not be a style for me.

2.58/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours a slightly darker shade of gold, with a big fizzy head that disappears quickly. There is, however, some lace clinging to the side here. The smell is alcohol and a touch of rust, whereas the mouth is a bit heavy. The initial taste is a touch sour, alcohol kicking in as we head towards the finish. The aftertaste is sour. I can't find any hops here. Still, it is not repulsive, as many Russian strong beers are...

2.58/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours a clear, pale gold with a white head that fizzes down to nothing. Smell of sweet grains and applesauce.

Very sweet and in the vein of Euro-style lagers. Notes of pear and apple predominate. Hops are but a whisper. Carbonation helps lift flavors off of the palate a bit but doesn't carry enough into the finish. Finish is prickly and residual sweetness lingers a bit longer than I'd like. 7% ABV is well-hidden.

At first, I quite liked the way it drank but as I drink it more, my opinion is changing a bit. Not as smooth and well-rounded as I'd like; more hop presence would do this some good. Glad I split it. Even then, we were unable to finish.

2.6/5  rDev -3.3%

2.75/5  rDev +2.2%

2.78/5  rDev +3.3%

Not as bad as it could have been. Like their #9, i purchased it without really knowing what i was getting myself into. Thought it would be maltier than it is.

Anyway, light on flavor and heavy on alcohol. Absolutely nothing impressive, but it's drinkable. Wasn't stinky or nasty. Just not all that great. If i was in Russsia, i could put a few of these down in the absence of anything better. Fortunately, i am able to get much better beer, and i will.

2.8/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

A: The beer is crystal clear yellow in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a thin bright white head that died down, leaving some bubbles on the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light aromas of apples are present in the nose along with hints of nondescript malts.
T: Much like the smell, the taste has flavors of apples with slight hints of sweetness. No alcohol is perceptible.
M: It feels nearly medium-bodied and clean on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is quite drinkable as the alcohol is very well masked and does not at all detract from the taste.

2.8/5  rDev +4.1%

The beer pours a nice golden color, slight head that fades fast. The aroma is of slightly sweet amlt and some subtle alcohol. Hop aroma is non-existant. Taste is sweet malt with very little alcohol. Mouthfeel is average, very little carbonation.

This beer is not terrible but I would most likely not purchase it again. A little too sweet, most likely in an attempt to hide the 7% alcohol. There are better export lagers available.

2.85/5  rDev +5.9%

Overall not a bad beer if you are looking to get drunk cheaply and still tell people you are drinking an import

Appearance: Golden color and a little foggy

Smell: it is very fruity, sweet and malty

Taste: Very unoffensive sweet and malty, as has been stated before hard to taste the alcohol once you get a few sips in.

Mouth-feel: Again unoffensive has a fruity flavor/sweet which some like.

Drink-ability: If you are not looking for anything special and want something cheap that will get you ready to head out to the bars then it should work just fine.

Overall not bad not great if you like your drinks a little sweet, malty, and Russian then this is for you.

2.9/5  rDev +7.8%

Appearance: minimal head and carbonation, gold in color, clear,

Smell: grass and toasted malt

Taste: grass, toasted malt, and sugar

Mouthfeel: moderately sweet, light bodied and carbonation

Drinkability: An overly sweet Euro lager that is typical of this brewery. Not bad, but probably nothing I am going to try again. Worth trying once.

2.93/5  rDev +8.9%

Presentation: Bless my little cotton Commie socks. A beer from Baltika which doesn’t have a number! One of the great things about living in LA is the multi-cultural atmosphere I work in, my work colleagues know my love for beer and often I get unexpected gifts from some obscure places, this is one of them from a fellow Engineer formerly of Russia. A metric sized half-litre (500ml) brown glass bottle, labeled as 1 Pint 0.9 fluid ounces for the US market. The label is all foreign to me though, none of this translated “Arsenalnoye” rubbish, my bottle has the word “APCEHAΛБHOE” which translates as “Beer from the Arsenal”, in rough speak above the words “Extra Lager” in a smaller white text. The Arsenal heritage is borne out by the symbol atop the main label, a pair of dueling flintlock pistols crossed over a large letter “A” in a red circle. Main crown cap is red and has the text ““APCEHAΛБHOE ПОВО”. Listed as Alc. 7.0% by Vol. with a Production Date of 03.08.05 and Best before Date of 03.08.06.

Appearance: Tremendous head on the pour, an expansive white jobby which stays at around 1-2” for some time and only slowly collapses, but always leaves a decent covering. Faded golden body with a pale-straw super-lucid clarity. A handful of streamers with average carbonation levels. Soft lacing which soon slides down back into the body of the Lager.

Nose: Low strength aromas, I struggled to get anything at first, but I managed to get a reasonable guess at what was going on before the beer completely disappeared.

Taste: Biscuit malts, pale and lightly toasted with some sweetness and a little grassy bitterness in the finish. Very “middle of the road”, it never strays from the tried-and-tested Lager formula, but there again neither does it suffer the awful “adjunct” laden sweet corn soaked in high alcohol crappy tastes that many East-Euro 5%+ Lagers project. Clean enough to enjoy but simple enough to forget.

Mouthfeel: Never found the alleged 7% alcohol, unless it was asleep and waiting to kick my ass later on. Conditioning was good enough to add a smooth aspect and the lightly chilled body which kept the tastes in check. It felt OK, nothing great but good enough.

Drinkability: I must stay that I really did not mind this one, not mediocre but nothing more than average. Simple enough with a clean profile, and I certainly wouldn’t turn this one away at a Russian BBQ if it were offered.

Overall: Not that bad actually, rather surprised in fact. But still just OK.

2.98/5  rDev +10.8%

Appearance- It gas a bold golden body with a nice white head that disappears quickly.

Smell- It has strong citric hops aroma. Very crisp.

Taste- It has a very cheap flavor it is adjunct filled for the most part. It has a strange fruitiness to it and some mild citrus and hop tones.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied with average carbonation.

Drinkability- Oddly, it is not too bad.

3.03/5  rDev +12.6%

A: Clear golden body. Frothy white head. Good retention. Better than average lacing.
S: Sweet adjunct maltiness. Alcohol. Some minor vegetal or earthy character.
T: Average, sweetish adjunct-laden maltiness. Alcohol is noticeable but not overdone, and generally expected in stronger Eastern European lagers. Mild herbal hops. Solid bitterness. Finishes dry with a light wash of alcohol.
M: Medium bodied with a very fine-bubbled, moderate carbonation.
D: Pretty average.

3.2/5  rDev +19%

The beer pours a nice gold color with a thin white head that quickly fades to spotty lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a sweet malty scent. There are no traces of the increased alcohol or any hops. It's clean and crisp. The taste is decent. It has a rich, malty flavor despite it's pale profile. It's quite sweet throughout with just a touch of hops in the finish. The mouthfeel is average. It is a medium/full bodied beer with less than adequate carbonation. This is an average Euro lager. It's way too sweet for me, but I guess it gets the job done for people looking for a quick buzz.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »