Arsenalnoye Krepkoye (Strong) - Baltika Breweries

Arsenalnoye Krepkoye (Strong)Arsenalnoye Krepkoye (Strong)

poor

Baltika Breweries visit their website
Russian Federation

Euro Strong Lager |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 06-28-2003)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
2.93/5  rDev +8.9%

Presentation: Bless my little cotton Commie socks. A beer from Baltika which doesn’t have a number! One of the great things about living in LA is the multi-cultural atmosphere I work in, my work colleagues know my love for beer and often I get unexpected gifts from some obscure places, this is one of them from a fellow Engineer formerly of Russia. A metric sized half-litre (500ml) brown glass bottle, labeled as 1 Pint 0.9 fluid ounces for the US market. The label is all foreign to me though, none of this translated “Arsenalnoye” rubbish, my bottle has the word “APCEHAΛБHOE” which translates as “Beer from the Arsenal”, in rough speak above the words “Extra Lager” in a smaller white text. The Arsenal heritage is borne out by the symbol atop the main label, a pair of dueling flintlock pistols crossed over a large letter “A” in a red circle. Main crown cap is red and has the text ““APCEHAΛБHOE ПОВО”. Listed as Alc. 7.0% by Vol. with a Production Date of 03.08.05 and Best before Date of 03.08.06.

Appearance: Tremendous head on the pour, an expansive white jobby which stays at around 1-2” for some time and only slowly collapses, but always leaves a decent covering. Faded golden body with a pale-straw super-lucid clarity. A handful of streamers with average carbonation levels. Soft lacing which soon slides down back into the body of the Lager.

Nose: Low strength aromas, I struggled to get anything at first, but I managed to get a reasonable guess at what was going on before the beer completely disappeared.

Taste: Biscuit malts, pale and lightly toasted with some sweetness and a little grassy bitterness in the finish. Very “middle of the road”, it never strays from the tried-and-tested Lager formula, but there again neither does it suffer the awful “adjunct” laden sweet corn soaked in high alcohol crappy tastes that many East-Euro 5%+ Lagers project. Clean enough to enjoy but simple enough to forget.

Mouthfeel: Never found the alleged 7% alcohol, unless it was asleep and waiting to kick my ass later on. Conditioning was good enough to add a smooth aspect and the lightly chilled body which kept the tastes in check. It felt OK, nothing great but good enough.

Drinkability: I must stay that I really did not mind this one, not mediocre but nothing more than average. Simple enough with a clean profile, and I certainly wouldn’t turn this one away at a Russian BBQ if it were offered.

Overall: Not that bad actually, rather surprised in fact. But still just OK.

3.33/5  rDev +23.8%

Essentially malt liquor, but not all that bad. Coppery, leaning toward amber with a short-lived head. A little thin and astringent at first, but some lightly sugared malt flavor follows. Thins out a bit again toward the end, with a pleasingly clean finish. Alcohol does not do much to announce itself, although you can detect a touch of fusel alcohol if you try. Overall, one of the better in this class that I've had an opportunity to try, and better than any US counterpart malt liquor.

1.7/5  rDev -36.8%

Well when I bought this one, I was thinking it was similar to Baltika's Number 6, well I was way off on that. let me tall you about the experience with the beer.

When I poured it there was a decent amount of head and through out the drinking experience there was a small head ever-present. The body was clean and clear... This was the best part of the beer.
The smell was a bit of a skunk, class A. I really thought that I was in for some skunked beer.
The taste was better than a skunked beer but not by much. It tasted like a low quality vodka mixed with beer. I even gagged on the first gulp, and my girlfriend thought that it was like a traditional, National, American Lager. Though I think I would rather drink a Miller lite over this one. I would never drink this beer again nor would I recommend this to anyone else.

2.78/5  rDev +3.3%

Not as bad as it could have been. Like their #9, i purchased it without really knowing what i was getting myself into. Thought it would be maltier than it is.

Anyway, light on flavor and heavy on alcohol. Absolutely nothing impressive, but it's drinkable. Wasn't stinky or nasty. Just not all that great. If i was in Russsia, i could put a few of these down in the absence of anything better. Fortunately, i am able to get much better beer, and i will.

Appearance – This came out a light urine-orange with no head.

Smell – This beer smells like pee, so I wonder when I take a piss if my urine will smell like beer? I mean, this stuff is just rancid. It smells like it’s been aged under a sunlamp.

Taste – It doesn’t taste like piss, thankfully. It tastes more like regurgitated creamed corn from the can. Actually, I threw up after eating about six yams once when I was a kid and, seriously, this takes me back to my youth.

Mouthfeel – This one is flat with little carbonation that produced a Listerine-like gag reflex. I finally burped . . . but I think I threw up a little.

Sinkability – I’d pour this down the sink except that Farmers threatened to cancel my homeowner’s insurance.

3.53/5  rDev +31.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A clean yellow/golden yellow beer. Has a big foamy bright white head that leaves a good lace. The aroma is a sweet grass with a hint of lemon and a light biscuit malt in the background. The flavor starts with a strong rush of alcohol into your mouth. Followed by a light malt sweet and a light hop pricklyness on the back of your tongue.

2.58/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours a slightly darker shade of gold, with a big fizzy head that disappears quickly. There is, however, some lace clinging to the side here. The smell is alcohol and a touch of rust, whereas the mouth is a bit heavy. The initial taste is a touch sour, alcohol kicking in as we head towards the finish. The aftertaste is sour. I can't find any hops here. Still, it is not repulsive, as many Russian strong beers are...

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »