Baltika #9 Extra (Strong) - Baltika Breweries

Baltika #9 Extra (Strong)Baltika #9 Extra (Strong)

poor

good

Baltika Breweries visit their website
Russian Federation

Euro Strong Lager |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-08-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Baltika #9 Extra (Strong) Alström Bros
1.03/5  rDev -62.8%

Ok first off, this came in a PLASTIC bottle, dead giveaway that its gonna be hairy. By "extra strong", I'm assuming it meant extra malt. The aroma was acrid. Imagine malt vinegar you put on boardwalk fries, but on crack&steroids. Yes, its THAT overpowering. The appearance was that of malt vinegar. I could barely get over the disgusting smell before I took a swig. After I swallowed it, the fumes were just too much&it came right back out. I don't mean to bash this product, this is just my firsthand experience when I drank it. Judging by the bottle itself, I'm assuming this is the Russian equivalent to a 40 oz of malt liquor here in the States. To wrap this up, if you wanna say "I drank a Russian 40" and are feeling frisky, by all means try it. If not, its no loss. Just an oddity more or less. (801 characters)

1.06/5  rDev -61.7%

Purchased a relatively fresh can from a Russian Supermarket.

Immediately upon opening, a chemical smell wafted from the can. I have never smelled this in a beer.

The first taste magnified the chemical overtones. Absolutely no malt character. Can only taste the alcohol. Perhaps it's added alcohol that gives this such a bad smell and taste.

This is easily the worst beer I have had in decades/ (399 characters)

1.14/5  rDev -58.8%

1 liter bottle poured into a tulip. Thanks to BeerFMAndy for sharing this one?

(A)- Pours a clear pale orange color. Not much head to speak of, but some white bubbles.

(S)- A dry, literally sugary sweet sugar water aroma.

(T)- Same as the smell. Its like drinking sugar water; and alot of sugar at that.

(M)- A low carbonation level. Only flavor that I can detect in this is sugar and alot of it at that.

(D)- Again, its like drinking an alcohol driven, dry sugar water. Almost flavorless and downright almost undrinkable for me. (534 characters)

1.15/5  rDev -58.5%

Appearance: Pale champagne-straw. Fizzy white head breaks down into a cratered, quivering froth, and then into nothing.

Smell: Rock candy, sweet corn. Muffled whisper of dandelion. Mild skunky and sulfuric aromas poke through the sweetness. Slight rubbing alcohol character emerges as it warms.

Taste: Oh my god, who put vodka in my MGD?

Mouthfeel: Sharp, watery, numbing, and abrasive.

Drinkability: This beer is nightmarish. Maybe it would be passable if you drink it ice cold, but otherwise... ugh! (513 characters)

1.16/5  rDev -58.1%

I bought a huge PLASTIC bottle of this for 99 cents as a goof.

The label reads "Extra Strong Lager" in huge letters and also the word "ale" in small print in the upper right hand corner.

Took this over to my friend's house. Bear in mind, either one of us would have been perfectly happy with ice cold PBR.

Wow, this beer is fuckin' disgusting. Smells like witch hazel. Taste is putrid... kinda like bud light mixed with gasoline and cough syrup. We took 2 sips each and flushed the rest down the toilet.

Blech. (517 characters)

1.18/5  rDev -57.4%

Malt Liquor at its worst, an awful beer that gained a vast popularity in the skid rows all over Old World. Generally, it's possible to brew a really strong pale lager, and there are some very successful examples of the style. In St. Petersburg the brewers (or, more likely, managers) were busy only with packing their product with alcohol. Well, they succeeded and offered us a horrible brew. Thanx, no! (403 characters)

1.2/5  rDev -56.7%

Looks like ___, smells like ____.

Tastes like sugar, chalk, flour, ginseng root.

I would rather drink Olde English, not sure about this being better than any 40oz.

I was like hmm 1.99, in with the bombers, maybe they know something cool on the cheap...

Can't even pretend to be cool with this one.

I just take the loss, full responsibility, I need a BMC to bring my taste buds back. (388 characters)

1.22/5  rDev -56%

Medium sized capped bottle poured into a pint.

Pale yellow, voluminous white head that drops quite quickly, leaving no lacing. It starts looking great, but dissipates rather quickly warning of what is coming.
It smells and tastes like sweetened alcohol; something like very cheap vodka with some sort of soda. Very difficult to qualify any better.
Absolutely horrible, a straight drainpour. (393 characters)

1.22/5  rDev -56%

A- 2 inch white foamy head, dissipates slowly. No lacing, golden straw color. Very clear, champaign like appearance. Well carbonated beer, not very attractive overall.
S- very unappealing aroma, smells like your typical college drinking beer, colors, bud light, miller light, some malt and corn characteristics come out, very plain.
T- very very disappointing. I didn't have high expectations for this brew but was hoping for something slightly enjoyable. Metallic aftertaste, slight bitterness, lingering metallic taste after every sip, slight malt flavor stands out. Alcohol is very resent for only being 8% abc.
M- light mouthfeel, very sticky, terrible metallic aftertaste.
O- well what can I say, first beer in 9 months and it has to be one of the worst beers I've ever had, if not the worst. Metallic aftertaste that lingers. This is a beer that I will never drink again. (879 characters)

1.23/5  rDev -55.6%

I have to say that this beer does make for a good presentation in my lager glass. It's straw in color, but not as pale as I had feared it would be. The head is impressive, billowing out to a good 2.5 inches and rising above the glass rim. It's slightly off-white and has the look of marshmallow...not right from the package but from when you scorch the crap out of it over a campfire and then pull off the burnt part. The stuff still stuck to the stick...that's what it looked like before it went bye bye. At least it was nice enough to leave behind a bit of lacing.

The smell is horrid. It smells of the kind of plastic that action figures are made of. You also get some corn and Saaz hops (I think, it's hard to tell). I certainly hope this tastes better than it smells. It doesn't...if at all possible it tastes worse. Take the above and add rubbing alcohol (or acetone) and you'll get the taste. The mouthfeel is even bad...oily with a chemical astringency tearing at the back of your throat. I cannot finish this...it may be only the second or third beer ever that I've poured. I fear that if I do finish this that it will be a sign of alcoholism and that I'll be standing up in the backroom of a church introducing myself. No thank you. (1,243 characters)

1.25/5  rDev -54.9%

Date: 24.12.11

A: Crystal clear yellow. Almost no head at all.

S: Grain, very mild overall. Hard to get a good sniff with so little carbonation going on.

T: Dry cardboard, with a harsh whiskey finish. Did they just brew weak beer and mix in some cheap whiskey to make it stronger? That's exactly what it tastes like.

M: Almost no carbonation. Mouth is numbing like I've been having shots of whiskey. After just a few sips I already feel a hangover coming on.

O: If you like beer mixed with whiskey, give this a shot. Otherwise, just go have a lot more fun doing shots. (573 characters)

1.28/5  rDev -53.8%

I bought this beer in a 51 ounce plastic bottle mostly because I had never seen such a creature and partially because I wanted to reuse the bottle to bottle homebrew. It's got a hazy yellow-brown appearance with barely any head at all. It smells weird. It smells like old peaches and hay. Or perhaps an 11-year-old Jolly Rancher that nobody wanted to eat because it was apricot. It tastes sickeningly sweet and coats my tounge with an unpleasant chemical-like fruity, dry, hatred. Uuhhhh... I don't know how I'm going to finish this crap... (540 characters)

1.33/5  rDev -52%

I wish I could say thanks to my buddy Jeff for sharing this one the other night, but this is quite possibly the worst beer I've ever had in my mouth. I've never had to spit a beer back out, but there is a first time for everything, and this is it for me. Review is from notes taken on 7/31/2010 and poured from the bottle to a tulip.

Appearance: Pour is actually the color of urine (I'm not being snarky or overly sarcastic here -- it's the first thing that came to my mind when I saw it and it was all down hill from here); starts with a 1/2 finger of white head that fades to a full, but uneven, skim; body is clear and shows tons of sick looking sediment floating throughout.

Smell: Light graininess and some barley, but it's sickly sweet as well and it is very cloying, even in the nose.

Taste/mouthfeel/drinkability: OK, this is pretty much the end of this one -- it literally tastes like perfume and hay... I couldn't keep this in my mouth. I'd continue on to talk about the mouthfeel, but the taste was so bad I couldn't keep it in long enough to make any strong determinations about this. Based upon everything else about this beer, the drinkability is awful. I never want to be near this drink again. (1,213 characters)

1.38/5  rDev -50.2%

A - Clear yellow with a decent head. doesn't appear to be much really

S - like dry malt sweetness but not much

T - Holy atrocious beer batman... this seriously tastes like a cheap malt mixed with popov or some other cheap vodka. horrible horrible taste

M - to be honest I couldn't keep it in long enough to figure this out. bubbly...

D - put it this way... i feel bad for my sink because I have to dump 49 of the original 51oz down the drain because this is so terrible. If you like vodka and would for some reason like the taste of it mixed with a cheap malt liquor then be my guest, but I will use this only to pull pranks on others... just plain horrible (662 characters)

1.38/5  rDev -50.2%

Very light gold color. Small head. Aroma is slightly malty and sweet. Its very sweet, lots of corn added?. The corn flavor is balanced by a strong alcohol flavor. No hops to speak of, yet there is some bitterness whose origin I don't really want to know. This stuff is really awful. Mouthfeel is full. Finish is clean. Aftertaste is chemical and bitter. (353 characters)

1.39/5  rDev -49.8%

A: The pour is a very pale straw/yellow color with a thin layer of white foam.

S: Smells damp and moldy with some possible fecal notes. Rotting vegetables and a bit time corn aroma. Sickly sweet and cloying. Lots of butter, because we couldn't have a truly excellent beer without that.

T: Cloying sugar and corn sugar. Oh goodness is this bad. Grape juice, cooked vegetables, butter, just awful. Some definite booze flavors, too.

M: Pretty heavy, unnecessarily so, with a moderate level of carbonation.

D: Jesus Christ. (523 characters)

1.43/5  rDev -48.4%

Holy crap, no wonder the USSR collapsed. This stuff could bring down an empire. Best part was the fizzy yellow pour, just a touch of white head. Only a slight malt aroma, but wow, it’s like doing shots of grassy vodka in every quaff. Very mediciney with a nasty, burning finish.

Well, I made it through the entire 500ml bottle, no drain pour for me! Well, only paid $2 for it (plus shipping), so not much of a loss. Now if I can keep it down past an hour without batching, I’ll be OK. (489 characters)

1.46/5  rDev -47.3%

Pours out pale straw and stis light, bright gold in the glass with a large white head, fading fast to a light skim, moving to the sides.

Aroma is pure malt and grass. Dried, decaying banana peel, and soft, bruised apples. Leafy hops dangle in the background, mildly spicy.

Tastes faintly sweet, almost sickeningly so when combined with its rather harsh, dry spicing, and alcoholic warmth. Like sucking on a twig that's been drenched in vodka. Destroys all sense of taste...and that's the best thing it has to offer; relief.

Light, watery and suitably carbonated. No reason to keep it in your mouth for very long, swallow and get it over with.

This beer has it's niche in the market of those who enjoy drinking swillish beers that look more sophisticated than Budweiser or Coors. I personally couldn't tell the difference and would rather have kept this one in the bottle. (883 characters)

1.48/5  rDev -46.6%

Pours gold with a small head leaving some lacing.
Nose show sweet corn and rich with white wine characters. Somehow cloying.
More corn and rice as flavours along with cereal. Very sweet. Noticeable alcohol. Sickening.
Carbonation is pretty high.
I only got through about a quarter of this bottle, which has never happened before. (329 characters)

1.51/5  rDev -45.5%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

51 oz(!) *plastic* bottle. 8% brew. Damn. Yes, there is freshness info..

Pour starts out with a head, then it disappears *completely.* Looks lite-golden, very clear, and innocent. Smell is heavy white sugar and green apple, kinda like my first batch of Mr. Beer - on 'roids. Also, a rather pleasant, toasty malt scent. But then some rubbing alcohol has to come spoil the party. Taste is a lot of phenols and bitterness. A good deal of those malts, but with bitter-beer face to follow. Possibly alcohol-face as well. Finishes strong, like a punch to the liver. A sickeningly sweet aftertaste that you just have to wash down with more Baltika #9. Speaking of, will this pass Magic Hat in the beer lexicon popularity of said number? I doubt it. And I don't think there's any damn way I can finish this behemoth mutant of a bottle on my own.. (839 characters)

1.51/5  rDev -45.5%

Light medium gold yellow pour with little white head. Smell is an odd mix of Alcohol, yeastiness, and a chemically smell, so in other words, not great. Taste was similar with a bit of bitterness, sort of malty sweetness I guess, and a cheap, hot alcoholic. Not very good, and wouldn't get again. (295 characters)

1.56/5  rDev -43.7%

Baltika # 9 had the taste of malt vinegar. A real strong taste real bitter. The color was a dark brown. Mouth Feel was the same as the taste. I was not impressed with this brew. I will not be buying this brew any more. This had to be the roughest brew I ever had. If you like your brew with a ton of malt this is for you. I is not for me overall I give it a 2. (360 characters)

1.56/5  rDev -43.7%

Ghastly. Essentially, this is imported bad malt liquor. Cidery malt, with an overwhelming fusel alcohol presence. Phenolic medicinal notes. A strong lager can be done well, or, as this demonstrates, very, very badly. I've had a couple of beers from this brewery that weren't too bad, so I wonder how they can crank this stuff out - perhaps this works with the local taste. (372 characters)

1.59/5  rDev -42.6%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Picked up a pint beer of this on a whim from a Sprouts store. I was intrigued....

The pour looked okay, having a kind of Foster's hue to it.

The head was white and foamy, but quickly fizzled out.

The aroma smells very weird and off; almost like a cleaner or something.

The taste is very astringent and has a lot of off flavors.
The lacing was pretty non existent after the foam fizzled out.

There's not many beers I won't finish, but I had to toss this one. (467 characters)

1.6/5  rDev -42.2%

I CANnot understand why it has taken The CANQuest (TM) so long to review this beer in a CAN. There was a brief period where some reviews got lost/deleted/purged and I CAN only assume that was the case here. I am certain that I have had this beer in a CAN previously, but this means an opportunity to correct a possible oversight. CAN you dig it?

The Crack & Glug created a finger of foamy, bone-white head with low retention. It was falling as fast as I could type and was soon just a memory. Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity and next to me, King Midas began to drool in envy. Nose smelled like it had been made in Monroe, WI, not St. Petersburg, Russian Federation. This had Minhas-stink all over it, from the bubble gum sweetness to the plastics factory interior and even a little gasoline thrown in for good measure. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was Russian for "Cyberman". Oh, kill me now! It was the all-too-familiar taste of overworked yeast, adjuncts and fusel alcohol. It pains me that one of the primary tenents of The CANQuest (TM) states that "In order to qualify for inclusion, the entirety of the CAN's CANtents MUST be CANsumed. If a drain pour occurs, the quester MUST open a new CAN and drink its CANtents." I really hate whoever wrote these rules ... Finish was gaspingly dry and I was looking around to make sure that there were no open flames in the house. This is dangerous beer, to say the least. I generally like Baltika's beers and they evoke a sense of nostalgia for me, from when the late owner of the Bloomfield Bridge Tavern, Stosh, and I would drink Baltika # 8 like it was going out of style. # 9 needs to go out of production! (1,685 characters)

Baltika #9 Extra (Strong) from Baltika Breweries