Baltika #9 Extra (Strong) - Baltika Breweries

Baltika #9 Extra (Strong)Baltika #9 Extra (Strong)

poor

good

Baltika Breweries visit their website
Russian Federation

Euro Strong Lager |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-08-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Baltika #9 Extra (Strong) Alström Bros
beerluvr

Ontario (Canada)

3.68/5  rDev +31.9%

Pours with a creamy large white head that settled over unusually bright yellow/gold liquid with just a touch of haziness. The nose is sweet sugary maltiness mixing with sharp bitter smelling hops. The taste is pretty much as the nose was described...very sweet malt, almost saccharine sweet followed by strong hop bitters and some palpable alcohol in the throat. Finishes long and bitter with a sweet flourish...nice to enjoy as a one-off, but not as a session brew.

08-30-2005 00:14:54 | More by beerluvr
Bonhoeffer

Alabama

2.35/5  rDev -15.8%

Eh. I had no idea what i was buying when i picked this up. Didn't realize there was even a category for "Euro Strong Lager." I saw that it was a Russian lager at 8% ABV, and i thought it would be interesting. Whoops. Basically, this is Russian malt liquor. Olde English for Eastern Europeans.

Pale straw color. Decent aroma. Not skunky or medicinal or anything. A little bit of spicy hops come through. But very thin on the taste. Alcohol hits you in the nose. Just one dimensional and boring.

I'm really disappointed, because i guess i was hoping there was something like a Russian doppelbock and this was it. Nope. Bleh.

08-29-2005 02:12:55 | More by Bonhoeffer
dungaree

2.95/5  rDev +5.7%

Corn, corn, corn! It smelled like corn, taste like corn. Poured light golden, like corn. Tasted some stale hops. I got the impression that they were doing their best to cover the high alcohol content, but I could definitely taste the alcohol. Of course, the first thing I tasted was corn, then the alcohol would poke through. Not a bad mouthfeel, lots of bubbles. Russians are known for vodka, not beer, so I guess this is a notable try at brewing. Reminded me of Budweiser with lots more alcohol.

08-27-2005 18:17:18 | More by dungaree
DogFood11

2.8/5  rDev +0.4%

This is a malt liquor I don't care what the label says. I sampled a king cobra today and this tastes like a clone.

head retention is decent, crystal clear super filtered and straw pale yellow color. mixed carbonation that sizzles in the mouth.

crispy up front with some biscuity,wheat taste that fades rapidly into a slight slight hop finish. An odd drying spicyness in the middle slammed together with a massive carbonation smacks the palate around abit. This one could get you crocked fast at 8% and the bonus is that this beer is fairly cheap for an import and has maximum warming without the coarse feel of some local malts. I kinda wish there was one more ranking category "price vs quality"

08-22-2005 22:51:09 | More by DogFood11
rajendra82

Georgia

3.25/5  rDev +16.5%

Clear, pale yellow body, fizzy and active carbonation, and an inch thick head combine to form an attractive looking lager. The larger than average size of 500 ml. necessitated poring into an imperial pint glass, which also aided in the appearance. Aroma was lemony, perfumey, alcoholic, and slightly vegetal, but overall not a bad smell for the style. Taste was rather simplistic due to the excessively sweet and underattenuated body. The hops were present, and evident, but not in a quantity sufficient to offset the sweetness. Unlike the domestic malt liquors, I could not detect any harsh adjunct flavors. There was a nice lemon twist sourness imparted by the clean lager yeast strain. Alcohol was not too obtrusive either. The bottle had a best before date of 4 September 05, so I guess the ageing on the shelves of Green’s did this beer some good. Either that, or I just like this one better than most of you.

08-16-2005 03:52:23 | More by rajendra82
SkeeterHawk

2.93/5  rDev +5%

Appearance: Super clear light straw color with an active 1/2" of head at first pour. The head fell pretty quickly, but was sustained by quite a few bubbles rising.

Aroma: Some malt and corn in the aroma. No hops to speak of.

Taste: It is rather balanced. There are a little bittering hops here to cut the malt, but just that much. There are a little hops to contribute to the flavor, but it is really reserved. It finishes a bit on the sweet side, which I believe is due to the corn.

Opinion: Well, this is an OK beer. I would put it in with the American lager category. It has a good bit of adjuncts, but manages to retain some flavor while still reaching 8%ABV. You have to give it credit for that. It's not one that I would seek out, but it's worth a shot someday.

08-15-2005 00:05:20 | More by SkeeterHawk
Vancer

1.43/5  rDev -48.7%

Holy crap, no wonder the USSR collapsed. This stuff could bring down an empire. Best part was the fizzy yellow pour, just a touch of white head. Only a slight malt aroma, but wow, it’s like doing shots of grassy vodka in every quaff. Very mediciney with a nasty, burning finish.

Well, I made it through the entire 500ml bottle, no drain pour for me! Well, only paid $2 for it (plus shipping), so not much of a loss. Now if I can keep it down past an hour without batching, I’ll be OK.

08-09-2005 12:38:44 | More by Vancer
MUSHROOMCLOUD

2.3/5  rDev -17.6%

Baltika #9 (labeled Pale Lager here in TX) is a very pleasing beer to the eye. It is a bright gold with a 1 1/2" white head that has great retention. Thousands of bubbles create "laser light show" (too much Floyd) patterns as they race to the top. Awesome lacing down the whole glass from start to finish.

OK, it went downhill from there!

The nose is dominated by alcohol (almost like rubbing alcohol). There is some basic beer aroma, some malt and maybe some hops. Nothing enough to overtake the alcohol.

The taste is also hot with alcohol. Something grainy, like some kind of adjunct in there (corn??). Some sweetness.

The body is thin and this beer is not very drinkable IMO. I have had and enjoyed their wheat (very nice and I will have it again) and their dark beer (good, much like an oktoberfest) in the last few weeks but this one, no thank you comrade!!

07-26-2005 01:42:10 | More by MUSHROOMCLOUD
TastyTaste

1.7/5  rDev -39.1%

This was pretty much your run of the mill storng euro lager. Fizzy gold color, almost headless, with visible carbonation. Smell was grass and alcohol, not vvery well concealed. Bland, but very strong alcohol. Mouthfeel is well carbonated but that neither helps nor hurts this beer. This is a very skippable beer.

07-20-2005 23:26:22 | More by TastyTaste
danielharper

2.08/5  rDev -25.4%

Purchased from Strong Bors. Liquor Store, Fayetteville, TN.

Has a fairly decent pour, a light dingy yellowish brown with a full head in my pint glass. As the beer settles and the head dissipates, it leaves nice thick lacing around the top of the glass. Head could last a bit longer, and the beer could be a bit more clear, though.

Nose is fairly bad, with a kind of grassy aroma up front along with some vaguely "skunky" and woodsy scents that are hard to classify. Fairly innocuous (i.e. not very strong and easy to ignore) but I find myself actively disliking the nose here -- not something I want more of at all.

The taste actually reminds me a bit of Dead Guy Ale, although it's more like Dead Guy mixed with water and left out in the sun for awhile. The same kind of full-fledged maltiness that you get with Dead Guy, with some of the same bitter finish, but without the pleasant balance from the Rogue beer. It's drinkable, I suppose, but I don't really enjoy it at all. Deep swigs give me a jittery feeling, almost as if I have to force it down -- I probably should've popped this one when it was a bit colder to let me get used to it.

Mouthfeel is moderate, much thicker than a pilsener (which is what this sort of looks like to me) but much thinner than a stout or even a strong ale like Arrogant Bastard. I generally like a thicker body on beers, but here I think this should be much thinner (i.e. easier to drink) so that I can get past the taste a little quicker. Still, I'm giving it a moderate rating here, as it seems unfair to beat the mouthfeel with the taste.

I don't like this beer, and don't plan on having it again. Bought it at Strong Bros. without having read the reviews on BA, and regretted the purchase ever since. It's been sitting in my fridge for a month or so -- I'm glad I tried it (if nothing else than to get a taste of what people are drinking in Russia) but this is much worse than what I'd normally buy. I'd take a Budweiser over this any day.

07-20-2005 00:45:29 | More by danielharper
ryantupy

4.15/5  rDev +48.7%

Pured a slightly hazy strawish golden color with very little head. Smell was a little weak but there was hints of hops and alchol. Tasted nice clean and crisp. It had hints of very sweet hops and malts. Slightly bitter and its higher alchol content makes it a very strong beer. Personally I enjoyed it and would reccomend it highly.

07-18-2005 21:22:22 | More by ryantupy
BuckSpin

Maine

3.48/5  rDev +24.7%

Finally, a beer that I can use a pilsner/flute with! Its been driving me nuts that I have this glassware, but everything I like usually requires pints.

A pale, straw gold in color, it bubbled nicely from the glass bottom up to a 1" head of tight white foam that formed broken lace on the glass sides. Nose is soft, lightly sweet, with wisps of malt, yeast and crackers while its cold.

Its crisp, faint with honey sweetness, some hints of a malt body, even. The body/base is more pronounced on the pallette, and the finish is slightly dry with a slight hop kick. Afterwards lingers a echo of some bitterness, mild sweet tones on the tongue.

This isn't bad. I have certainly had worse, and its one of the few beers that I have tried that actually got less appealing as it warmed - most of the beer genres I enjoy get better as they warm. I would drink this again if offered, and it would be a very good cold one to slake a thirst on a hot day, or with some simple foods. If you can get this cold, give it a try.

07-10-2005 18:52:34 | More by BuckSpin
Gagnonsux

2.58/5  rDev -7.5%

Baltika #9 is a weak pale yellow in color with an average-sized, bright white head. Carbonation levels are decent. The aroma is lightly sweet and grassy. An adjunct smell is all over here. Taste is sweet with plenty of adjunct flavor. A touch of alcohol astringency is tasted in the finish. The overall character of the beer is very similar to an American malt liquor, however this is a little better than most because of a higher amount of malt flavor. I can't really recommend #9, try it if you have a thing for lagers with higher alcohol content.

06-28-2005 16:41:55 | More by Gagnonsux
packetknife

Idaho

2.2/5  rDev -21.1%

Why does the label now say "Pale Ale", are they insane or was this a really bad translation? Light yellow with an overly aggressive frothy white head that laced, looked like it'd be a refreshing advertisment. Very very light cornbread on the nose but perhaps the head was masking everything. The alcohol and carbonation attack your tongue and overwhelm any taste but I get a bit of grain, cashews, and I'm almost certain they put some grain alcohol in this at some point (silly but feels that way). Finish is sharp. Toward the end of the glass I got a distinctly different beer but at that point I wasn't paying enough attention. Not something I'll buy again.

06-23-2005 10:48:05 | More by packetknife
BrewMaven

3.38/5  rDev +21.1%

Poured a clear gold with a white head that bid a hasty adieu.
Smell was grainy. Tasted initially like an average macro or even a malt liquor and as it warmed slightly taste was dominated by alcohol from start to finish. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't, at least for me, a deterrent to my enjoyment of this brew. Medium bodied with ample carbonation. Not one of the better Baltikas I've had but I'd probably give it another go at my next backyard BBQ.

06-20-2005 15:19:29 | More by BrewMaven
ALESwhatCURESya

Wisconsin

2.25/5  rDev -19.4%

I can already feel a headache coming on this one!!!! I feel like I am drinking 40 oz's of Hurricane Malt Liquor again back in my high school days. The gross alcohol is all that makes up this beer. If you are looking to get blitzed, cheap, at a frat party, but still want to look cultured, go get yourself a few of these. There is nothing to this beer other than a massive alcohol backbone, and a nice pretty golden color.

06-12-2005 18:50:18 | More by ALESwhatCURESya
allengarvin

2.17/5  rDev -22.2%

Another pale lager from Baltika. This one has a better head and some fine streaming bubbles though. Nose is decent, some light, flowery hop aroma and pleasant malt. The flavor, though, is downright unpleasant, sweetish and harshly alcoholic, with a grainy flavor and no balancing bitterness. Taste resembles a malt liquor, with no balance and no redeeming character. Light bodied and dry.

Very disappointing beer, the worst so far from this brewery.

06-09-2005 02:35:28 | More by allengarvin
RBorsato

Clear straw color with a nice white head and good carbonation. Light sweet malt grain aroma and flavor ... taste leans pretty sweet with no hop character. Medium bodied with a smooth creamy character ... malt liquor city.

Overall: Blah !

Label states: "Baltika Extra Pale Beer" & www.baltika.ru

Best Before: 03/20/05
Tasted: 05/03/05

(16.9 oz) (Ron)

05-10-2005 20:55:18 | More by RBorsato
arguemaniac

2.28/5  rDev -18.3%

Appearance: A pale, dull golden color with a thin quickly disappearing head and very little lace.

Aroma: A big whiff of alcohol with some grain too. Can’t detect any hop aroma.

Taste and Mouthfeel: An unusually strong alcohol taste; there’s even a slight burn on the way down with the first couple sips. A sweet, grainy maltiness but, as with the aroma, no hops. The mouthfeel is a bit oily with medium carbonation.

If you like malt liquor, then you can’t miss this one! But, if you don’t, you might want to steer clear of it. While there is some mildly decent maltiness (really, though, its only barely adequate) and the mouthfeel is ok, this beer fails to impress thanks to the total lack of hop aroma or flavor and the strong alcohol taste (at 8%, there’s not really THAT much alcohol in this one, just nothing else to mellow it out). In fact, I might have some trouble finishing it off. Not recommended.

04-22-2005 06:16:06 | More by arguemaniac
clvand0

Kentucky

1.93/5  rDev -30.8%

It pours a very clear yellow color with a small head that falls fast and doesn't leave much lacing on the glass. The aroma has a lot of lemon character in it as well as a little corn-like graininess. The flavor was terrible. Cardboard and chemicals, as kmpitz2 said. I had to pour this one out.

04-18-2005 14:46:12 | More by clvand0
kmpitz2

Tennessee

1.98/5  rDev -29%

This brew pours an ultra pale yellow color with a small head that sits nicely over top. The nose is grainey, slightly sweet and lemony, wtih a whiff of alcohol. The flavor is awful. I don't think it is oxidized, but it has this cardboard and chemical flavor to it that just really is offensive. The feel is moderate with an active carb. I don't think I will be finishing this one. The flavor is just not all that great and keeps it from being worth any more sips.

04-17-2005 02:18:10 | More by kmpitz2
mmmbeer

1.75/5  rDev -37.3%

Didn't really know what this was until I brought it home and looked up some reviews. Seems to be a Russian malt liquor. 500 mL bottle, best before Nov. 13, 2005 - served in a pilsner glass. It actually looks OK. Kind of a pale yellow with lots of carbonation and a 1 finger head that leaves a decent amount of lace. Smells of sweet, metallic corn with a bit of alcohol - very macroish. The taste isn't very pleasant. It's thick, tastes the same as the smell and has no hops to speak of. Mouthfeel isn't impressive and as far as drinkability, it's the closest I've come to dumping a beer I'm reviewing down the drain.

04-12-2005 06:21:27 | More by mmmbeer
donnebaby

1.73/5  rDev -38%

Very clear, gold body, watery-looking and possibly thin. Filmy, dry haze is sticky. Nose is sweet, with an edge of stankness and minerals, but not betraying the level of booze.

Is this a malt liquor???

Taste is macroswill with a definite touch of booze. Unbalanced and really pretty unpleasant to drink. More stank, more minerals, strip-mined from the malts. Lightly sweet in the after.

04-08-2005 06:44:12 | More by donnebaby
RoyalT

3.13/5  rDev +12.2%

Appearance – This one is maybe even lighter than the #3 with a head that was just as big and white.

Smell – The grain here is not quite as big as its little brother “Classic”, but there’s a presence of alcohol from this 8.0% ABV monster.

Taste – Yes, the booze trumps the modest grain leaving this one tasting like mild ghetto juice.

Mouthfeel – This lager is light to medium-bodied with some light carbonation and a sharp alcohol sting.

Drinkability – This went down a litter rougher than the #3. I can enjoy and appreciate a stiff, boozy brew but this was a bit harsh for my preferences.

04-07-2005 02:43:20 | More by RoyalT
ybnorml

Rhode Island

2.8/5  rDev +0.4%

A clean light yellow/straw colored beer. Has big tightly bubbeled bright white head. The aroma is light malt /biscuit with a hint of grassiness in the background. Almost no real flavor at all. Some hints of a biscuity malt in there (very light) and also the hops are only hinted at in the finish. It doesn't taste bad and if you want a buzz this will give you one.

03-20-2005 19:56:14 | More by ybnorml