Baltika #9 Extra (Strong) - Baltika Breweries

Baltika #9 Extra (Strong)Baltika #9 Extra (Strong)

poor

good

Baltika Breweries visit their website
Russian Federation

Euro Strong Lager |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-08-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Baltika #9 Extra (Strong) Alström Bros
2.25/5  rDev -19.6%

16.9 ounce bottle. Baltika 9 pours out a clear yellowish color with a white head. It leaves an intricate pattern of lacing on my glass. Cloyingly sweet grain aroma with some corn. Decent grain flavor. Very simple, with little off flavor. Alcohol is very noticable, and hides any flavor there may be. Mouthfeel is a little bit thick. I wasn't a big fan of this beer, but I suppose it could be worse. Drinkability is poor. It's no easy task to finish a bottle of this stuff.

3.03/5  rDev +8.2%

A clear yellow color…unremarkable, with a moderate, fluffy head. The aroma is alcohol and sugary-sweetness. There’s a cereal and grainy quality of the aroma as well, but the alcohol smell is unshakable. Despite the initial smell, the beer is actually drier than expected. Moderate to heavy body. The finish is bitter, with a serious alcohol quality. Three’s really not a lot else going on with this one. I’ve been impressed with other beers from this brewery, but this one is simply uninspiring.

Pale golden with a thin but sticky layer of suds remaining after 2-3 minutes.

Aroma of pale malt, slightly peppery.

Taste: A definite note of alcohol leads the way here, appearing again as the sip ends with a warming, yet not overly unrefined presence. Medium-bodied light malt bridges the gap, with a very light lemon zesty flavor.

Nothing here that would appeal to another sample, but if you feel the urge to get tipsy on a couple bottles of Russian beer, this would do it.

3.5/5  rDev +25%

It doesn't look like much. Maybe the Russian lettering is going to worry you some, but this is exactrly as advertised and how many strong lagers are you going to find? Well maybe a few if your lucky but this is the only one I've had access to.

Lager = chilled fermentation. Chilled fermentation to 8% ABV results in a crisp flavor that lets the strength of the brew go directly to the taste buds. This is a drink for those who like the taste of alcohol. If you like this drink you might also be fond of pouring shots of Scotch into lawnmower beers (this can be pretty yummy BTW).
EDIT: others don't detect the alcohol. This could be the case for the majority of drinkers (read below) but it's not a problem for me to taste the alcohol. I think these other folk are associating alcohol with bitters, this beer isn't bitter. It reminds me a strong pilsner, honestly.

My best experience with this is bringing a case to a NYE party and seeing that it was the right call! We all wanted that big ass bottle and it drinks really well in a party atmosphere. That's Baltika in a nutshell, good at parties. In fact it was my favorite brew in Santigao, Chile, where parties ran long and late into the night.

3.1/5  rDev +10.7%

Had this brew while visiting with a neighbor who happens to be a chef. He was given this as a gift by some of his Russian Co-workers who held this up as an example of Russian beer supremacy. "Much stronger than your American Beers". So followed some beer advocacy as he put down his Bud to share this with me. I pointed out the pale straw color and the white head that left some nice lacing on the glass the fairly faint aroma of alcohol and floral hops as well as some sweet malt. The very sweet taste up front with a short mildly dry finish. Fairly light bodied for it's gravity and overall we both agreed that it was very drinkable.

I found most of this exchange ironic as he was sharing some fine red-wines including Pinot Noir, Shiraz and some bold Cabernets...yet he was drinking Bud and was unable to identify anything in the flavor profile that he liked or disliked apart from wet and cold...

2.35/5  rDev -16.1%

Pours a very pale gold. Nice amount of carbonation and head to go along with it.
Smell is plain except for a slight bit of honey. But thats about it.
Taste was like a carbonated water not much flavor at all just a slight hint of sweetness. Cant really detect the 8%abv either though.
Overall kinda bland.

2.8/5  rDev 0%

Pours a pale gold color with not much head. First thing you notice with this brew is the malt sweetness followed by a not so lovely corn flavor. Wasn't expecting much from this brew and I wasn't suprised by the outcome. The only saving grace of this beer is the 8% alc. Probably won't be picking this up again in the near future.

2.25/5  rDev -19.6%

Bottle: Poured a clear golden color ale with a big bubbly white head with average retention. Aroma of sweet malt with a dose of cough medicine. Taste is more enjoyable then I was expecting with a nice base of sweet malt, limited amount of corn or adjunct is detectable and then cough medicine appears at the end to ruin it all. Could have been worse but could have been a lot better.

3.1/5  rDev +10.7%

Head is big, white, noisy, fluffy. Beer is very clear gold. Pretty. Sweet fruit and some spice share the nose with a little barbershop. The beer starts fruity sweet with some alcohol. Middle is thick and fruity: a little cherry syrupy. Finishes sweet with peanuts and anise. Alcohol sours the mix a little. Again, not really bad. Some decent spice, sweet fruit. But alcohol and some syrupy cloy detract.

2.05/5  rDev -26.8%

Pale cornmeal yellow with huge bubbles clinging to the bottom and sides of the glass. The cap looks incredible, especially for such a high-ABV beer. It's blindingly bright white and as sticky as all get out. Multiple bridges of foam have formed from head to glass and look like a taffy pull when they break. Quite a bit of lace helps what is already a good looking beer.

#9 Extra smells like an especially rough, raw, alcoholic malt liquor. Grain soaked in grain alcohol pretty much covers it. I have a feeling that words like complex, subtle and refined won't apply from here on out. Offensive? Not quite. Appealing? Not in the least.

It isn't quite as bad on the palate, but then I knew what was coming. As far as the flavor is concerned, I don't know that I'll be able to improve upon the 'rough, raw, alcoholic malt liquor' comment, so I think I'll use it again. It tastes like the brewers wanted to cut corners and just added a copious quantity of rubbing alcohol to Baltika #3.

I can usually get past an overwhelming alcohol presence and delve into the underlying beer, but I'm finding that task especially difficult in this case; mostly because ethanol is such a large part of the flavor profile. I've had a few Euro strong lagers that were decent, so I know it's possible to brew such a beer. Baltika missed the boat with this one though. Some of the better American malt liquors are nectar compared to this stuff.

The finish is sweet and hot. I'm beginning to get hot as well and feel like I've just done a few shots of Stoli. The mouthfeel is indistinguishable from Baltika #2 or #3 (both EPLs), lending credence to my theory that this is simply a higher alcohol version of those beers. Drinkability would be higher if I'd retire this pint glass and break out a shot glass.

Prior to today, my assigning of scores to Baltika products was directly proportional to the number on the label. From #2 and #3 on the low end to #8 (wheat) on the high end. Baltika #9 shoots that relationship all to hell. This is an ethanolic mess of a beer that I can't recommend under any circumstances. Homies in Red Square would be better served by a mass importation of Steel Reserve High Gravity.

2.98/5  rDev +6.4%

Different label than shown, all-English for the US market. Half-liter, labeled as "Extra Lager" (whatever that means), best before date 18.04.06.

Pours a light clear gold with a medium white head with some staying power. Aroma is corn and watery grass, not far off from an American malt liquor. Very fine carbonation rises throughout.

Taste is sweet and a bit fruity without being too off-putting. The hops are faint but present, mostly a grainy sweetness dominates. Finish is dry with just a touch of alcohol. Nothing offensive or revolting, just not my cup o'tea.

Mouthfeel is a little heavy, not surprising. I would definitely characterize this as a malt liquor, although a shade better than the US brands. Interesting, possibly worth a second look, not sessionable though.

3.68/5  rDev +31.4%

Pours with a creamy large white head that settled over unusually bright yellow/gold liquid with just a touch of haziness. The nose is sweet sugary maltiness mixing with sharp bitter smelling hops. The taste is pretty much as the nose was described...very sweet malt, almost saccharine sweet followed by strong hop bitters and some palpable alcohol in the throat. Finishes long and bitter with a sweet flourish...nice to enjoy as a one-off, but not as a session brew.

2.35/5  rDev -16.1%

Eh. I had no idea what i was buying when i picked this up. Didn't realize there was even a category for "Euro Strong Lager." I saw that it was a Russian lager at 8% ABV, and i thought it would be interesting. Whoops. Basically, this is Russian malt liquor. Olde English for Eastern Europeans.

Pale straw color. Decent aroma. Not skunky or medicinal or anything. A little bit of spicy hops come through. But very thin on the taste. Alcohol hits you in the nose. Just one dimensional and boring.

I'm really disappointed, because i guess i was hoping there was something like a Russian doppelbock and this was it. Nope. Bleh.

2.95/5  rDev +5.4%

Corn, corn, corn! It smelled like corn, taste like corn. Poured light golden, like corn. Tasted some stale hops. I got the impression that they were doing their best to cover the high alcohol content, but I could definitely taste the alcohol. Of course, the first thing I tasted was corn, then the alcohol would poke through. Not a bad mouthfeel, lots of bubbles. Russians are known for vodka, not beer, so I guess this is a notable try at brewing. Reminded me of Budweiser with lots more alcohol.

2.8/5  rDev 0%

This is a malt liquor I don't care what the label says. I sampled a king cobra today and this tastes like a clone.

head retention is decent, crystal clear super filtered and straw pale yellow color. mixed carbonation that sizzles in the mouth.

crispy up front with some biscuity,wheat taste that fades rapidly into a slight slight hop finish. An odd drying spicyness in the middle slammed together with a massive carbonation smacks the palate around abit. This one could get you crocked fast at 8% and the bonus is that this beer is fairly cheap for an import and has maximum warming without the coarse feel of some local malts. I kinda wish there was one more ranking category "price vs quality"

3.25/5  rDev +16.1%

Clear, pale yellow body, fizzy and active carbonation, and an inch thick head combine to form an attractive looking lager. The larger than average size of 500 ml. necessitated poring into an imperial pint glass, which also aided in the appearance. Aroma was lemony, perfumey, alcoholic, and slightly vegetal, but overall not a bad smell for the style. Taste was rather simplistic due to the excessively sweet and underattenuated body. The hops were present, and evident, but not in a quantity sufficient to offset the sweetness. Unlike the domestic malt liquors, I could not detect any harsh adjunct flavors. There was a nice lemon twist sourness imparted by the clean lager yeast strain. Alcohol was not too obtrusive either. The bottle had a best before date of 4 September 05, so I guess the ageing on the shelves of Green’s did this beer some good. Either that, or I just like this one better than most of you.

2.93/5  rDev +4.6%

Appearance: Super clear light straw color with an active 1/2" of head at first pour. The head fell pretty quickly, but was sustained by quite a few bubbles rising.

Aroma: Some malt and corn in the aroma. No hops to speak of.

Taste: It is rather balanced. There are a little bittering hops here to cut the malt, but just that much. There are a little hops to contribute to the flavor, but it is really reserved. It finishes a bit on the sweet side, which I believe is due to the corn.

Opinion: Well, this is an OK beer. I would put it in with the American lager category. It has a good bit of adjuncts, but manages to retain some flavor while still reaching 8%ABV. You have to give it credit for that. It's not one that I would seek out, but it's worth a shot someday.

1.43/5  rDev -48.9%

Holy crap, no wonder the USSR collapsed. This stuff could bring down an empire. Best part was the fizzy yellow pour, just a touch of white head. Only a slight malt aroma, but wow, it’s like doing shots of grassy vodka in every quaff. Very mediciney with a nasty, burning finish.

Well, I made it through the entire 500ml bottle, no drain pour for me! Well, only paid $2 for it (plus shipping), so not much of a loss. Now if I can keep it down past an hour without batching, I’ll be OK.

2.3/5  rDev -17.9%

Baltika #9 (labeled Pale Lager here in TX) is a very pleasing beer to the eye. It is a bright gold with a 1 1/2" white head that has great retention. Thousands of bubbles create "laser light show" (too much Floyd) patterns as they race to the top. Awesome lacing down the whole glass from start to finish.

OK, it went downhill from there!

The nose is dominated by alcohol (almost like rubbing alcohol). There is some basic beer aroma, some malt and maybe some hops. Nothing enough to overtake the alcohol.

The taste is also hot with alcohol. Something grainy, like some kind of adjunct in there (corn??). Some sweetness.

The body is thin and this beer is not very drinkable IMO. I have had and enjoyed their wheat (very nice and I will have it again) and their dark beer (good, much like an oktoberfest) in the last few weeks but this one, no thank you comrade!!

1.7/5  rDev -39.3%

This was pretty much your run of the mill storng euro lager. Fizzy gold color, almost headless, with visible carbonation. Smell was grass and alcohol, not vvery well concealed. Bland, but very strong alcohol. Mouthfeel is well carbonated but that neither helps nor hurts this beer. This is a very skippable beer.

2.08/5  rDev -25.7%

Purchased from Strong Bors. Liquor Store, Fayetteville, TN.

Has a fairly decent pour, a light dingy yellowish brown with a full head in my pint glass. As the beer settles and the head dissipates, it leaves nice thick lacing around the top of the glass. Head could last a bit longer, and the beer could be a bit more clear, though.

Nose is fairly bad, with a kind of grassy aroma up front along with some vaguely "skunky" and woodsy scents that are hard to classify. Fairly innocuous (i.e. not very strong and easy to ignore) but I find myself actively disliking the nose here -- not something I want more of at all.

The taste actually reminds me a bit of Dead Guy Ale, although it's more like Dead Guy mixed with water and left out in the sun for awhile. The same kind of full-fledged maltiness that you get with Dead Guy, with some of the same bitter finish, but without the pleasant balance from the Rogue beer. It's drinkable, I suppose, but I don't really enjoy it at all. Deep swigs give me a jittery feeling, almost as if I have to force it down -- I probably should've popped this one when it was a bit colder to let me get used to it.

Mouthfeel is moderate, much thicker than a pilsener (which is what this sort of looks like to me) but much thinner than a stout or even a strong ale like Arrogant Bastard. I generally like a thicker body on beers, but here I think this should be much thinner (i.e. easier to drink) so that I can get past the taste a little quicker. Still, I'm giving it a moderate rating here, as it seems unfair to beat the mouthfeel with the taste.

I don't like this beer, and don't plan on having it again. Bought it at Strong Bros. without having read the reviews on BA, and regretted the purchase ever since. It's been sitting in my fridge for a month or so -- I'm glad I tried it (if nothing else than to get a taste of what people are drinking in Russia) but this is much worse than what I'd normally buy. I'd take a Budweiser over this any day.

4.15/5  rDev +48.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pured a slightly hazy strawish golden color with very little head. Smell was a little weak but there was hints of hops and alchol. Tasted nice clean and crisp. It had hints of very sweet hops and malts. Slightly bitter and its higher alchol content makes it a very strong beer. Personally I enjoyed it and would reccomend it highly.

3.48/5  rDev +24.3%

Finally, a beer that I can use a pilsner/flute with! Its been driving me nuts that I have this glassware, but everything I like usually requires pints.

A pale, straw gold in color, it bubbled nicely from the glass bottom up to a 1" head of tight white foam that formed broken lace on the glass sides. Nose is soft, lightly sweet, with wisps of malt, yeast and crackers while its cold.

Its crisp, faint with honey sweetness, some hints of a malt body, even. The body/base is more pronounced on the pallette, and the finish is slightly dry with a slight hop kick. Afterwards lingers a echo of some bitterness, mild sweet tones on the tongue.

This isn't bad. I have certainly had worse, and its one of the few beers that I have tried that actually got less appealing as it warmed - most of the beer genres I enjoy get better as they warm. I would drink this again if offered, and it would be a very good cold one to slake a thirst on a hot day, or with some simple foods. If you can get this cold, give it a try.

2.58/5  rDev -7.9%

Baltika #9 is a weak pale yellow in color with an average-sized, bright white head. Carbonation levels are decent. The aroma is lightly sweet and grassy. An adjunct smell is all over here. Taste is sweet with plenty of adjunct flavor. A touch of alcohol astringency is tasted in the finish. The overall character of the beer is very similar to an American malt liquor, however this is a little better than most because of a higher amount of malt flavor. I can't really recommend #9, try it if you have a thing for lagers with higher alcohol content.

2.2/5  rDev -21.4%

Why does the label now say "Pale Ale", are they insane or was this a really bad translation? Light yellow with an overly aggressive frothy white head that laced, looked like it'd be a refreshing advertisment. Very very light cornbread on the nose but perhaps the head was masking everything. The alcohol and carbonation attack your tongue and overwhelm any taste but I get a bit of grain, cashews, and I'm almost certain they put some grain alcohol in this at some point (silly but feels that way). Finish is sharp. Toward the end of the glass I got a distinctly different beer but at that point I wasn't paying enough attention. Not something I'll buy again.

Baltika #9 Extra (Strong) from Baltika Breweries