Baltika #3 Classic - Baltika Breweries

good

Baltika Breweries visit their website
Russian Federation

Euro Pale Lager |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-07-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Baltika #3 Classic Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +50.5%

4.5/5  rDev +50.5%

Appearance - Very pale light yellow colour, very clear with lots of carbonation, Nice thick white head.

Smell - Wheat and light hop smell

Taste - Light malt taste

Overall - It was a very nice light tasting lager. It's different than most lagers with the surprising hint of malt in it. Very good. I would highly recommend.

4.28/5  rDev +43.1%

Actually, I grew up on this beer ... I had it on a regular basis since I was about 16-17 till I was 23, then I moved to US and did not have it for quite a while. After seeing it in the store I've decided to try it and find out if I'd like it now, when I'm not a foolish youngster anymore ... I'm glad to day, I was not disappointed. This is a very nice, very balanced lager, not too bitter, not too sweet, with a mild pleasant smell. It's hard to find something really distinct about it but that's because nothing overwhelms and nothing turns you off. Yes, it is highly carbonated, but I like that.

4.2/5  rDev +40.5%

Yes, The CANQuest (TM) CANtinues to seek out CANned beer, wherever it may originate. When I was a sailor, I bedded so many different countries' women that I felt as though I might join the United Nations as am ambassador. Now, I have drank so many different countries' beers that I feel as though I am equally qualified. Or not.

I used to put away Baltika in its many numbers, in bottle form, with the late Stosh, owner of Pittsburgh's Bloomfield Bridge Tavern and our fave was # 9, the Baltic Porter. RIP, bro! This review is for you.

Wotta jugga beer! 1L in a CAN! CAN I get all of it in me? That's what many of them ask of me the first time. ;=) Hello, Mother Russia! I am going to be spending some time with this one.

A 1L CAN has an appropriate heavy-duty pop-top and by the point that I punched through for the Crack, I was exhausted! As I set it down to take a breath, I swear that it made the same noise as a 55GL drum being set on the deck. F**in' industrial, man! The Glug garnered a finger of fluffy French Vanilla head with decent retention. Color was pure gold, as though King Midas himself had touched the glass. NE-plus quality clarity. I CAN see into my neighbor's house with the X-Ray Spex quality of the clarity in some of these beers. Nose was lager. Pure and simple. Simon pure. Lager. Accept NO substitute. Lager, lager, lager on the label, label, label means that you will like it. The mouthfeel was thin-to-medium with a clean, unadulterated mildly malty flavor that screamed LAGER to me. I am telling you now - if you have nevrer had any Lager other than an AAL, do yourself a favor and try some. Water is not this pure when done right. Finish was clean and refreshingly dry. I was put in mind of standing on a glacier or a mountain and taking a deep breath. Phew!

The cooler needs some multi-cultural status, plus what hot Russian babe doesn't dig Baltika?

4.08/5  rDev +36.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the foiled 500 mL brown bottle into a Guinness pint glass. Surprising amount of head. I had to stop pouring about 2/3 of the way through because the glass was a solid 1/2 foam. It settles quite slowly and becomes more and more dense as it falls. It leaves sticky lacing on the sides of the glass. The beer itself is very clear with a pale yellow tint. Much like an American Lager. I have to say that this is a good looking lager. The smell is of pale malts that show signs of having a decent amount of body, and grassy hops. Slight fruit comes through. White grape juice and apple. Very slight corn aroma. The flavor is surprisingly full. The body is much like a cream ale with a definitive malt undertone with grassy and crisp hop highlights. The carbonation stays active the entire time keeping it light and quenching. It is very sessionable, has no funky aftertaste, and it only cost me $.89.

This is a great beer for the style.

I'm going to buy more.

4.08/5  rDev +36.5%

I think this Russian Pale Lager is one of my favorite beers by far. It has a lot to offer in every aspect and is super refreshing. Here's my breakdown:

A - Appears to be a very clear pale golden yellow color that almost resonates with/defines the word "crisp" looking. It's begging to be drank and it is just a great looking beer.

S - Typical slightly skunky Eastern Euro Pale Lager smell, but not dominating like some can be. It is attractive to the nose, and gives you a 2nd reason to get drinking this wonderful beer.

T - This is where the party starts. The malts present in this beer are extremely tasty, with a bread-like character that really dries up in your mouth nicely, but not so much as to give you "cottonmouth". The flavor is perky, and has very pleasant fruit notes that really make even the aftertaste a very good experience. It tastes even more crisp than it looks, and it is the perfect match with any dish you would usually drink a regular lager with (Think pizza, pasta, breads, chinese food). This beer went beyond my expectations in the taste department and keeps me super refreshed and is my beer of choice on hot summer days when a light beer wont cut it, and a porter or stout is obviously too heavy to drink in such succession (just my opinion though).

M - Nothing offensive whatsoever. Very pleasant and full of flavor throughout with moderate carbonation that is super appealing to the tastebuds.

D - I'm giving near-full points on this one because if you told me this was the last beer left on earth, I would not be one bit disappointed. I'll drink one, I'll drink ten. Much love for this beer.

Overall, this one is my favorite Eastern Euro Lager thus far. Great example of what this category should taste like, in my opinion.

Purchased this at a local liquor store, along with an Armenian beer I cannot add nor review because I haven't enough reviews under my belt as yet, alas.

This beats the unnamed Armenian beer hands-down, though. This is quite nice. Surprisingly drinkable, not at all corny (the Armenian beer was an american adjunct lager naturally, and cornier than Paper Lace's 'The Night Chicago Died'. That's pretty corny, y'all.)

I'd say this was a fine example of a euro pale lager. Very drinkable, nice maltiness, nice little hops dryness going but with a sweetish finish, and a nice fullish mouthfeel. I could session these pretty easily. And if I find myself at that liquor store's vicinity again, I could even see myself buying again. Or another of this same brewery's offerings.

Baltika 3, not a bad brew for the buck. Far worse ways to spend your money than this.

3.98/5  rDev +33.1%

Baltika 3 has a thin, white head, a clear, yellow-golden appearance, and just a touch of lacing left on the glass. The aroma is straightforward: malty, cracker, sweetness, and bread. Taste is similar, with mild hop bitterness present as well. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Baltika 3 finishes crisp, clean, refreshing, highly drinkable, and mostly dry. Overall, this beer is a simple pleasure, and I recommend try it.

RJT

3.95/5  rDev +32.1%

local beer store brought this in at my request and i'm delighted they did. excellent lager pours the typical light pilsner straw colour yet has considerably more taste, crisp and clean from start to finish. another please barkeep.

excellent session beer i could drink this stuff all day long, and accordingly gets the maximum drinkability score available. lager category limits smell/ taste score but i still would give strong points for taste and finish, ability to quench thirst. baltika do a fine job on other offerings too.

3.93/5  rDev +31.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Had a sample of this beaut at the Vintage Cellar for the Friday beer tasting they do. At any rate, this was a very nice beer. Started out kind of average, nothing special was happening, but then a nice wheat/malt/hop taste came about. Had it at room temp, so I think that helped it's taste along too. Very clean and crisp, very easy to drink. Would be a very nice beer to have a hot sunny day.

3.88/5  rDev +29.8%

I like this beer, not too over the top in any area, but it is seems to do everything quite well. It has a pleasant flavor it is slightly sweet. Fairly low alchohol level 4.8 makes it very drinkable. I would buy this again when I am in the mood for something a bit better than the typical American/Canadian Lagers.

3.85/5  rDev +28.8%

A- Pours a fluffy white head, 1 finger in height and recedes to a thin cap after about 3 minutes. Ample carbonation bubbles dance around the golden body with plenty of small yeast floaties.

S- Not bad at all. Some clean graham cracker notes, a bit of grassiness, a bit of citrus and some light hopiness.

T- Stats out quite heavy with a salty/peppery note. From there it has some nice heavy maltiness (for the style) with some slight banana notes bits of citrus, and a drying finish from the hops. Not bad honestly.

M- There is quite a bit of carbonation going on here and this is actually heavy for a pale lager.

D- Quite drinkable given the ABV and what it has to offer. Will drink again.

3.8/5  rDev +27.1%

It's a yellow/golden beer with a fair amount of white head, little lacing.

It smells ok, nothing special, just ok and just a hint of hops.

it does taste good, I'm tempted to call this a "Russian IPA Light"

Well, if it taste good it has to go down good!... nice aftertaste of Russian hops?

I might have 1 more, but that would be about it (after the novelty wore off!).

3.78/5  rDev +26.4%

poured a thick 2 fingered head that retained rather well.
Smell was vague but pleasant,sweet slightly phenolic aroma, but didn't smell like cheap beer.
taste was smooth as silk,light hops and malt, well balanced,
Mouth was full and creamy definitely one of this beers best assets.
drinkability is fine, I found nothing off-putting on this one, one of the better beers of this genre IMO, would have no problem drinking again, very enjoyable!

3.73/5  rDev +24.7%

Pours a clean yellow gold with visible carbonation. No head, no lacings.

Pleasant aroma of grassy hops with some light sweet malt behind.

Grassy hops right up front provide a nice crispness. Grainy malt follows on and leaves a honey sweetness in its wake. Hops wrap things up with some nice refreshing dryness.

Thin mouth, but standard euro lager feel.

Very drinkable, quality beer. You could do worse for the style.

3.68/5  rDev +23.1%

Clear, watery pale yellow look with great lacing and a thin, patchy head. Aromas were a bit weak with some grassy tones. Great bitter-sweet taste with a somewhat citrus flavoring to it. Very refreshing with a good, solid carbonation. Overall, the best of the Baltika series I have had so far.

3.68/5  rDev +23.1%

1pt into pilsner glass.

Crystal clear straw hue with a pearl white frothy head that slowly settles to a thick cap. Plenty of fas rising bubbles. Stringy lacing.

The aroma is a light sweet malt aroma with the slightest hint of some grassy hops.

Light white bread like malts with a very light fruit flavor. Light bodied with high carbonation. The finish is a light bitterness from the light hop flavor.

This is another Euro Pale Lager that isn't going to get rave reviews just because of what it is. But, I find this one refreshing without having any horrible flavors. What else can it do? It' a good beer for the style. Recommended, if you're mowing the lawn or something.

3.65/5  rDev +22.1%

Pours a clear light golden yellow with a decent white frothy head. Aroma is sweetish, pale grains and very light grass. Lots of active carbonation throughout.

Taste is light, barely toasted pale malt. Light grassy notes, some minor bitterness but not too hoppy, more sweet than bitter. Finish is a little complex, more grainy than grassy. In the last half, the flavors yield their sweetness and move more towards a dry grain. Not sweet enough to have much of a corn presence, as with a lot of Eurolagers.

Mouthfeel is thin and clean, very drinkable and thirst quenching. A good example of a standard lager, nothing earth-shattering but quite refreshing. This is something I could drink all day outside watching a ball game. (ABV 5.0%, as per the label.)

3.65/5  rDev +22.1%

My first of the Russian beers. Drunk straight from the bottle, so I'm not entirely sure of the appearance.

The flavor was pretty light and dry, and slightly bitter. The aftertaste was its real distinguishing character - sweet, yeasty, and creamy. Overall, this beer was decent, and I especially liked how unique it was.

3.63/5  rDev +21.4%

The largest brewery in Russia produces 9 different brews of which I've tried 4 and enjoyed 3 of them very much.
This lager pours a very pale golden yellow with a full two finger snow white head that melts slowly to a nice white ring of lacing.
Typical lager yeast in the aroma but much less intense than other lagers. I don't care for the smell of lager yeast so this is a good thing.
Mouthfeel is slightly creamier than most lagers.
Flavor is lightly sweet pale malt with a nice mild bite of sharp hops blending well with it. There is almost a wheat-sharp character to the flavor although no wheat is in the beer.
Aftertaste is clean, fresh, and drying.
One of the better pale lagers I've ever had.
Skol!