Zhiguljovskoje - Baltika Breweries

poor

Baltika Breweries visit their website
Russian Federation

Euro Pale Lager |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: GCBrewingCo on 07-04-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Zhiguljovskoje Alström Bros
1.75/5  rDev -40.1%

2.05/5  rDev -29.8%

A - Slightly darker than yellowish orange with a third of an inch of nice white head.

S - Sweet, almost a cider aroma. Brown sugar and sweet cereal. Far too sweet.

T - Much malt with sweet cereal making up the most of the flavor. The flavor is too sweet for my liking.

M - The feel is rather soft for a lager. However, the feel does aid the flavor in allowing the beer to flow down easily. This is good in my case considering I don't care for the taste.

~ Overall I have to say this one doesn't do it for me. I've enjoyed other beers brewed by this brewer and have been impressed. Unfortunately, this brew falls short.

2.2/5  rDev -24.7%

This was reviewed blind as part of the Blind Beer BIF #5

Bottle #8 from johnbjaeger

A - Pours a clear golden yellow with a nice big white foamy cap on top that slowly receded leaving some nice lacing down the glass

A - The aroma is alot of corn, lemon, dish soap,

T - well the taste is well, i'm not sure. sugary sweet, corn, vegetable flavor. its like a light lager, not alot of flavor and whats there is not that enjoyable.

M - syrupy and just not enjoyable. I feel like i'm in the parking lot of a July concert and the beer has gotten too warm and it takes all of me to get it down.

D - I think the beer won out in this one and I am going to stop now. I have a few left and I don't want to ruin my enjoyment of beer before I get to them.

4/2.5/2/2/2

So lets tear the paper off
Oh hell, after doing some searching since I can type the label, its Zhiguljovskoje Fomr Baltika Brewing in Saint Petersburg, Russia.
Its cool to try a beer from Russia, but I'll stick to vodka and leave this one on the shelf.

2.25/5  rDev -22.9%

This is actually Munich Helles, at least it says so on the German version of the label.

The beer is pale golden with some head with rather good retention, almost no lacing. Aroma is weak sweet malt.

Taste is watery sweet and corny malt, mouthfeel is light with prickly carbonation.

Overall, if it was not so cheap (just slightly above the price of water), I would say that it was certainly money wasted. It even seems, judging from the German label that the beer is exported there. I wonder who would ever buy this beer in Germany...

2.4/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 1pint .9 oz. glass bottle into a frosted glass - Produced 2.20.08 Best Before 2.20.09

Pour: A tall white foam head which did not last long, and almost no lacing. Beer turned flat after the head settled

Smell: While the foam lasted, it smelled like a skunked Budweiser, but as the foam settled so did the scent. I do get a whiff of malt, but it is not overly present. After it sits for 2 minutes, it is a stagnant beer. I have read "rotted grain" in other reviews, and I would agree.

Taste: A light acidic flavor with a someone citrus fruity hint. A bit of caramel and malt left behind on the tongue after a sip.

Drinkability: Although this beer started with an aggressive disply of foam, it ended up being flat and not very exciting. It almost acted like it was an a very old beer. Considering the distance it had to travel to get to my house, it is possible it had the character beaten out of it. Based on this one tasting, I am not overly impressed.

2.42/5  rDev -17.1%

A: Light copper-colored brew. half inch head disappears in 2 seconds.

S: Could only smell sweet diacetyl funk, or corny grains.

T: Shit...is this beer? Or is it grain flavored water. I can't really pick anything out except corn, sweetness, and blah.

M: Dasani dosed with corn syrup and alcohol.

D: Nyet!!

This must be some left over Soviet-era abortion that Baltika kept around for sentimental reasons. It must have been Brezhnev's PBR...well they missed the mark, and that is freakin' sad comrade! haha

2.58/5  rDev -11.6%

A - Pours pale yellow with white head that dissipates quickly.
S - Sweet malt, corn, slight hops.
T - Sweet and corny. Slight sour aftertaste.
M/F - Little heavier than light - I guess light/Medium. Carbonation is rather light.
D - It's just OK...at best. The more I drank the less I wanted to.

2.65/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Brown half litre bottle obtained from a Russian shop in Antwerp (Belgium). Best before 15th Oct 2010, drank 26th July 2010.

Poured (three times) into one of my small Veltins Pilsner glasses.

The beer is a mid-range pilsner/helles/lager golden yellow, the regular pure white foaming head appeared on each pour. Bright, clear and what you'd expect from a Helles Bier.

The aroma was fairly sweet, and floral (sweetpea?).

The initial taste was also on the sweet side, however a tinny/metallic taste came along in the aftertaste.

The beer was more enjoyable when I was hot and the beer cold, but as I cooled and the beer warmed, my mood changed and I had trouble with the final sips.

2.68/5  rDev -8.2%

50cl brown bottle with a freshness date.

Quick to foam to the top of the glass, great head retention and the pale golden color is very clear. Faint spicy lemony hop, cooked veggies and salty grain. Crispness struggles, nearly lands flat. Cooked veggies (cabbage), weak wet grain flavor and muted hops. Finishes with a mineral dryness.

This beer had potential, a bit cleaner with some crispness behind it ... it would be half decent.

2.68/5  rDev -8.2%

Light beer but surprisingly heavy body. Strange thick malt liquor taste, but very low alcohol. Bitterness seems to be missing, though there is a touch of dirty cardboard that might be hops. Looks nice, pleasant head, all the elements of beeriness. Just very sweet with no redeeming flavors. The stuff is drinkable enough, apparently clean tastes, but I have to mark it down as a poor representative of this category. Personally I think we need an International Adjunct Lager category for these low-rent specimens.

In the interest of research I gave a 21 year old female a couple of glugs, and she liked it. But then she thinks Olympia is too hoppy.

2.7/5  rDev -7.5%

My wife bought me this as a joke after I had expressed horror that it was in a plastic bottle.
This beer pours a very unattractive brownish golden color and has plenty of carbonation. It carries an equally unattractive head that quickly fades. The aroma is of slightly sweet bready malt, a hint of saaz hops and maybe a bit of caramel. Surprisingly, the flavor is not so bad. No real hop flavor to speak of, bready malt, and a touch of caramel or toffee. It is not a good beer by any stretch of the imagination, but I would gladly drink it over your standard BMC. The mouthfeel is light and watery with a fairly dry finish. Pretty drinkable. Would make a good conversation piece at a college party. Also, it would be good for Edward forty hands since the plastic bottle is lighter than a glass one.

2.7/5  rDev -7.5%

pours a clear golden yellow with a medium size white head that goes away quickly, lively carbonation, some lacing.

smell of roasted grain, malt, some citrus.

taste is somewhat sweet, grain, malt, lemon, ends oily and a slight tart bite to it, leaves a thick film on the tongue.

2.75/5  rDev -5.8%

Doesn't taste great, but it appeals to my senses in its low abv state and my high abvc(consumed) state.

It's actually got a nice head with good lacing, it's clear, but a bit murky for being such a light lager. Smell is very basic, there's not much to it, in fact. Taste is also very easy. Ultimately, it's got some hops, a little bitterness, and not much else. Sawdust finish. Very light.

It's drinkable, and with a light to medium body, I suppose it could be consumed in mass. But I'm not sure if I would want to...

2.9/5  rDev -0.7%

Zhiguljovskoje is a very clear light copper lager with a small white head that fades to a film. It has OK lacing. It has a sweet aroma, like brown sugar, maple syrup and honey. It's light bodied and pretty watery. It has a very sweet flavor! There are notes of maple, honey, caramel and sorghum, but not really any hops. Hey, kids would appreciate this! It's not too bad, actually. I bet it'd make good cooking beer. I got a big plastic 1.5 liter bottle for $1.98!
(rated Sep 26, 2008)

2.93/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

A: The beer is clear yellow in color and has a moderate amount of carbonation. It poured with a finger high bright white head that died down, consistently leaving a thin head covering the surface and a coating of bubbles down the sides of the glass.
S: Light aromas of apples and bits of sweet malts are present in the smell.
T: The taste is similar to the smell and also has some hints of corn and bits of sweetness. No bitterness is perceptible.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied, smooth and rather clean on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is quite drinkable but is lacking when it comes to the aroma and flavor department.

2.93/5  rDev +0.3%

A: Pours a golden yellow with little head and a good amount of carbonation. Head goes away quickly. Very transparent.

S: Has a strong wheat smell. Impressive considering how light the beer appears.

T: For a beer that I was not expecting much from it did have a definite corn, wheat, yeast taste to it. The taste and carbonation went away quickly as the beer warmed slightly.

M: Was nothing to be impressed with. Could feel the carbonation on your tongue a little but it was nothing much to note.

O: For what I expected, I was impressed there was a noticeable wheat taste. It was a very average beer that I would put in the same class as many national beers.

2.98/5  rDev +2.1%

Yikes! Lager in a big plastic bottle! From Russia! Why is it I'm imagining this stuff being brewed on a street corner in a 50 gallon drum?

Production date of 05.05.10...best by date of 05.11.10? Only fresh for 6 days?

A - Pours a clear gold in color, topped by a few frothy bubbles. No head to speak of so no lacing either.

S - There seems to be a certain lemon soapiness to the aroma, with a minute touch of hops. Very strange smell for a Pale Euro Lager, but it smells good I guess.

T & M - A very watered down, sweet cooked vegetable flavor. The hop flavor is very mild toward the back end. Almost a sweet bready beer. Carbonation was on the low end, and it didn't finish especially crisp.

D - This beer isn't one I would recommend, but it does have some good things going in its favor. I think if it had a touch more flavor and was a bit more crisp, it would be a solid brew.

Appearance: 1/4 inch head that goes quick, golden in color, clear, high carbonation

Smell: honey is all I get

Taste: honey and light breadiness

Mouthfeel: high carbonation, light bodied ,super sweet

Overall: A typical Euro lager. I do like the sweetness here, but outside of that nothing I would really pick up again. Not offensive, but not overly memorable either.

Zhiguljovskoje from Baltika Breweries