2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Baltika #6 Porter - Baltika Breweries

Baltika #6 PorterBaltika #6 Porter

good

Baltika Breweries visit their website
Russian Federation

Baltic Porter |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-28-2003)
View: Beers (37) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Baltika #6 Porter Alström Bros
Ratings: 759 | Reviews: 562 | Show All Ratings:
Daredevil

Switzerland

4.01/5  rDev +10.8%

glass used: original Duvel glass

Eye: opaque, almost black, foamy very firm head

Nose: dark roasted malts, coffee

Palate: dark (belgian) chocolate, espresso, some hints of elderberry, all well integrated

a very dry, full bodied brew of high quality

03-15-2014 21:57:02 | More by Daredevil
fx20736

4.21/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bought a single bottle from Beers of the World for $ 1.99 on 2/23/14. Poured into a Samuel Smith's pint glass, served cool.

Appearance:Deep, dark blackish brown with a few reddish highlights at the bottom with a 1 finger khaki head, lacing doesn't last very long.

Smell: very deep roasted Barley and then more roast and then more, maybe a touch of fusel.

Taste: Barley syrup, followed by licorice, lots of licorice.

Mouthfeel: solid, good

Overall: good looking, intoxicating aroma, rich yummy taste, decent mouthfeel. Drink. Enjoy.

02-23-2014 23:57:34 | More by fx20736
flyingpig

United Kingdom (Scotland)

4.03/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

500ml Bottle from BeersOfEurope website (£2.29):
Mahogany brown with a finger sized, tan coloured head that is quite bubbly looking and also quite creamy, managing to maintain its size well.

Lively sweet notes initially & sugar presence with some caramel and chocolate malts coming through as well. The beer has some of the characteristics of a Foreign Export Stout but these are subtle hints with the bread and biscuit aromas more noticeable here and the sweetness, although present not coming across so strong.

Sweet, dark malts with a solid caramel and chocolate base kick things off, followed by some biscuit malts and a hot of sugar as well. There is a taste of coffee too but this is a mild one with the sweetness covering it for the most part along with some roasted malts and a nice bitterness to it.

Medium bodied and quite lively, particularly at the start when the beer is first poured. There is a mild bitterness from about the middle onwards and the mouthfeel is quite creamy.

A very nice porter that had a good balance with the relatively high abv. well hidden and the mouthfeel a good one. Initially it started quite sweet, almost like FES but this settled some not long after and the darker malts made themselves known.

12-23-2013 08:58:31 | More by flyingpig
Beric

Indiana

3.71/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Serving: 500mL bottle into tulip
Enjoyed: 17 Nov 2013

Appearance: Pitch black with a solid two finger head after pouring that rather quickly dissipates into just a sheen of bubbles, likely due to the high(er) ABV in this one. The head is originally a dirty brown colored foam that looks great. Eventually, head collapses into bubbles around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Slight roasted malt smells coming through- some smokiness, bitter coffee and chocolate notes, but nothing too notable. The smell is quite muted, actually, and is easily the weakest point of this beer.

Taste: My first taste was rather astringent- I tasted deep caramel notes similar to a doppelbock originally, but after a few more sips, and certainly after most of the bottle was gone, I was picking up on some good roasted flavors. Roasted malt, black coffee, and bitter cocoa were all coming out, though none were extremely assertive. Not as much flavor as an imperial stout, but also nothing as muted as a Guinness Draught. A good in-between.

Mouthfeel: This one isn't carbonated that much, and as a result, and feel rather thin at times, especially after it starts warming up. I would have liked to see just a pinch more carbonation in this one to help carry some effervescence through the whole beer rather than being lost about 3/4ths of the way through the bottle.

Overall: Not a bad beer, but by no means anything special. Good because it's cheap (only $2 for a 500mL bottle!) and does have plenty more flavor than comparable low-cost options, such as Guinness Draught.

11-18-2013 00:58:59 | More by Beric
77black_ships

3.71/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Early 2013 Rating. 500 ml. bottle @ home. Bottled on 12.10.2012. Picked up in one of those “Russian”-type of stores / deals. Pours a touch lighter shade of black with a non-lasting mocha head. Nose is sweet syrup, light licorice, roasted malts, overripe dark fruits and a touch of chocolate. Taste is sweet syrup, light bitterness, coffee, licorice, iron bitterness / pale lager hop extracts style, caramel, light roast, black bread, cocoa, hopextract and syrup being listed as ingredients comes as no surprise. Bit thin, touch syrup body. Almost like a fine dunkel. In a beer wasteland this stuff must be divine. Probably what a beer geek would drink if for some odd reason he wound up in Russia.

10-23-2013 17:34:42 | More by 77black_ships
brurevu

3.61/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I have often seen the inexpensive Baltika beers at the store and viewed them as a cheap higher alcohol beer with not much to offer. A friend turned me on to the Baltika 6 a told me that it is actually a really good porter and one they covet. I figured for two bucks it was worth a try! The Baltika 6 is a Baltic Porter which are typically strong and sweet and the 6 is no exception. It poured a dark brown to black with a thin tan head. The first taste was instantly molasses, dark and sweet. The sweetness remained as it warmed, but the molasses relaxed a bit with a fuller malt profile. An impressive beer nonetheless.

10-16-2013 17:51:57 | More by brurevu
BWED

3.11/5  rDev -14.1%

500 ml bottle poured into a pint glass.

A- Very dark brown body, with highlights resembling red wine. Light brown and fizzy head sits on top but dissipates after a few gulps.

S- Roast, caramel and cocoa. Some booze hints, and even dark fruits.

T- Roasty. Semi-sweet cocoa is in there too. There is a bit of an ashy taste at the end along with a slight twinge of hop.

M- Full body, but smooth, and a very mild bitter finish.

O- Fairly impressive. It doesn't taste cheap, like the #4. Besides the ashtray kind of taste this is a decent porter.

08-24-2013 03:31:43 | More by BWED
Vonerichs

3.23/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Dark brown with a considerable amount of tan head.

Smells of raisins and light smoke.

Slightly smoky, roasted malt. Raisin. There's a bad soapy aftertaste (and no, this glass has not been in the dishwasher or washed with soap for quite some time.)

Mouthfeel is on the lighter side of medium with prickly carbonation.

Eh. Not much good to say about it. Looks pretty good but I don't like the flavor or over carbonation.

08-23-2013 01:10:42 | More by Vonerichs
Aaron_Ramson

2.75/5  rDev -24%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Pours a dark reddish black with no lacing and a 2 finger head that flattens immediately. The nose is booze, dark roast acidity, molasses,raisins, some leather. The taste is a big letdown with booze and burnt coffee dominating the flavors. The aftertaste is astringent and bitter like tea bags. Dry and unpleasant. The mouthfeel is very thin and feels over carbonated. Not at all impressed with this porter and I will not be having it again.

08-09-2013 04:23:35 | More by Aaron_Ramson
middletonman2001

Maryland

3.83/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

A: Dark coffee like color, with the right amount of head, that dissipates to a layer 1/6 of an inch of lace.

S: Very malty and grainy smell to it, which is not surprising for a porter.

T: Malty, not to strong for 7%, fairly smooth, not bad, but not the best tasting porter i've had.
M: Thick but not to thick.

O: Bottom line Its a good porter, and at 7% it doesn't tastes strong, its malty and yummy.

08-02-2013 22:01:28 | More by middletonman2001
BeerWithMike

Nebraska

4.16/5  rDev +14.9%

Pours a dark hazy black, with a tan head that dissipates fast that leaves close to 1/2 finger tan head with nice lacing. Aroma is of chocolate and coffee. Taste is very smooth actually with a nice sweet finish. Really liked this one and my first Russian beer!

07-26-2013 21:20:51 | More by BeerWithMike
barczar

Kentucky

3.89/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Pours an opaque brown black with a frothy dense tan head that lingers.

Aroma is extremely nutty and toasty, with hints of dark fruit, chocolate, and alcohol. Notes of plums and dates are masked a bit by alcohol esters.

Flavor is equally nutty, with rich caramel malt becoming a touch bitter at the finish. There's a hint of roast, and an underlying smoky character. Rum-soaked fruits, dark cherries and plums, add intrigue. Notes of tar and dark chocolate emerge as it warms.

Body is smooth and full, with low carbonation and high alcohol warmth.

A bit over the top in alcohol flavor and aroma, but nice, rich malt character. The esters are slightly overwhelming, and chocolate flavor is lacking. Not a bad brew, though. May lay one down a couple years to see what happens.

07-20-2013 02:12:47 | More by barczar
VictorWisc

3.79/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

1/2L bottle, bottled on/best by date 20.11, so just over half-way there.

Pours dark, very opaque. Cola colored when in front of light, but not translucent. Good soft tan head but dissipated much quicker than other reviewers describe. No lacing, but left a bit of bubble edging in the glass.
Malt aroma of pumpernickel and fresh-roasted coffee. A bit of yeasty wineyness, but just a hint.
Flavor is a bit mineral water, followed by coffee and caramel, then pumpernickel. Leaves substantial alcohol warmth on the tongue, but unfortunately followed by cheap-malt sour aftertaste. Some people might like it but for me it drags down the score. Petty good body and mouthfeel, but aftertaste is inescapable.

A decent Baltic porter, certainly one of the better Russian beers. But there is room for improvement, even at $2.19 for 1/2L bottle.

06-29-2013 03:30:21 | More by VictorWisc
SteveTheDog

3.74/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I first had all the Baltikas when I was travelling in Russia and the numbering system was great since we didn't speak much Russian. I distinctly remember liking #'s 6 & 9 and a friend found the 6 and brought it over to relive the experience. It was as good as I remember and nice to know it actually was a porter since I was just guessing. I like the color and aroma - I get a few hits of cocoa and coffee in the taste and I think the finish is nice and smooth and even a little thick - I pleasantly try to suck some of the flavor off the sides of my mouth. I like this one and I think it's my favorite out of Russia.

06-10-2013 19:55:38 | More by SteveTheDog
FLima

Brazil

3.61/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Black Color with lots and lots of thick caramel head with good retention and leaving laces. Good presentation card.
Grainy aroma with hints of toasted malts, dark fruits and earthy hops.
Sweet grains and toasted malts flavor with a good deal of earthy and floral hops. Hints of condiments, chocolate and tobacco. Dry and astringent aftertaste with a lingering sweetness.
I would recommend it (as opposed to some others from the Baltika family), careful not to compare this to turbinated US Baltic porters or similar Brewdogs.

04-18-2013 21:44:56 | More by FLima
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

3.8/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a fairly opaque black color with a huge tan head that persists forever in fact it tried to escape from the bottle when I pried the cap off. The aroma is dark fruity with caramel and burnt sugars and a hint of chocolate with a touch of alcohol. Sweet grainy honey like pilsener malt surprisingly shines through. The flavor follow the aroma quite well. Sweet grainy pilsner with some dark and burnt sugars touched off with some chocolate and some sweet sugar coated dark fruits. Long lingering sweet finish with a touch of ethanol. Medium body with a sweet slick mouthfeel and a moderate level of carbonation. Not a bad porter, certainly not over the top flavored like some Americanized versions, but kind of nice with it's subtleties.

04-02-2013 23:17:48 | More by johnnnniee
harrymel

Washington

3.34/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 2 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Bottled 10NOV12
Best by 10NOV13

Dark near black with little foam at all - not attractive really. Smells of raisin, malt, cocoa, and some toasted malts, kinda sweet but I like it. Bread, rye, more plum than anything, some toasted malts, some tobacco and a touch of turbinado. Medium on thin with low carb and an off dry finish. Overall not bad, I would drink again.

03-28-2013 07:15:59 | More by harrymel
rickyleepotts

Arizona

3.66/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

This is our last beer from Baltika, but there are only two beers on the list. I am a big fan of their #9, a Euro pale lager. It has a high ABV and a nice sweet flavor, and is only $2.49 a bottle! But today we are drinking their baltic porter, the #6. I feel like I had had this before, but I will need to check my Untappd account. Regardless, I am hooked on dark/thick beers. I like to let these warm up a little bit, so I am excited to see how this tastes. However, baltic porters (not sure what makes them "baltic") usually have a metallic flavor at the end. Hopefully this one doesn't, but I won't hold my breath.

(Sorry, had to answer the door. My new Mizuno golf bag is here! I am getting all new Mizuno golf clubs and I am STOKED for this and the next delivery. The next delivery is… the clubs! I haven't opened the box yet, but I will. I want to record it for YouTube… the unveiling, if you will!)

Now I am excited. Let's drink.

In the Glass: The beer poured nice and thick from the bottle, and is pitch black in the glass. There are a lot of bubbles, though. In a porter, I usually don't expect to see a lot of carbonation. However, this one looks to be extremely carbonated at first. There isn't much lace, either. It's thin what is there. I wonder what this smells like…

Nose: This has a very earthy aroma… and I am getting a hint of that metallic aroma that I was talking about. Sheryl just said, "It smells like chocolate." I disagree. If it does, all I am getting from there is a hint of sweetness. What chocolate might be there is dark chocolate. More burnt sugars than anything. But that metal aroma keeps coming back. Maybe my mind is set on what a baltic porter is supposed to smell like. I will shut up… let's drink!

Flavor: Yeah, there is that metallic flavor I remember. I need to look up where the name baltic comes from. At least in regards to a beer. I am not saying this is bad, but the flavor is compromised. It tastes like it smells, which is rare for a good craft beer. Plus, this bottle traveled from Russia, so there's that! One thing I don't want a porter to be is drinkable… and this one is. It's too thin to be a porter.

Mouthfeel: This is actually quite nice. It is thing. Very thing. By it being thin, it makes the beer even that more drinkable. Not sure that is a good thing. I don't want to feel like I am tearing this beer apart… because I am not. I am just excited about my new golf bag and I am really thirsty! My pint is almost gone! My favorite part of this beer is the aftertaste. (The burp is actually nice, too. It brings those candied sugars back to the surface, and makes another sip even more desirable.)

Aftertaste: This is my favorite part of the beer. The chocolate flavors that Sheryl was talking about remind me of sugars and burnt sugars that remind me of an ice cream shop. Like the sugar cookies and the cones they make right there. Great, now I want ice cream! Speaking of ice cream, I bet this beer would make a great float. The beer is cheap, so maybe I will grab some ice cream on the way home tonight!

The beer is good, but not great. It is a daily drinking porter, and I would buy this again, but only for the price. It's a good example of baltic porter, but I don't have a ton of experience with these. Every brewing company makes a porter… but few make a baltic porter. Maybe this is a European thing. I will do some digging before we get to our next baltic porter. Cheers!

02-25-2013 21:30:42 | More by rickyleepotts
jmdrpi

3.13/5  rDev -13.5%

500 ml bottle, printed on label is 21.02.12 and 21.02.13, which I interpret as that it was brewed February 21 2012, which a best by of a year.

appears black, opaque. thick khaki colored head. good head retention. smells like milk chocolate, maybe some earthy hops. mild aroma. taste is just a slightly roasted flavor.very smooth and mild, one flavor note. medium thick body, medium to higher carbonation. overall - just okay.

01-26-2013 04:47:27 | More by jmdrpi
jimmah120

3.05/5  rDev -15.7%

cool looking bottle, into guinness pint

look is a dark murky amber-brown. almost no head. smell is very faint roasted malts and cocoa powder. taste is very sweet red malt, finishing slightly dry and bitter. very subdued roasted/smoky flavors. feel is medium and bubbly. alcohol is undetectable.

very average. would be a good session beer, but kind of a let down. still blows their #9 out of the wAter tho.

12-23-2012 09:11:44 | More by jimmah120
AllenS90

2.93/5  rDev -19.1%

Poured from a bottle dated 06/13/12

A - muddy brown, black with a quickly dissipating beige head. Not that bad.

S - very metallic, uninviting. Some very faint notes of chocolate.

T - an acerbic chocolate taste up front. Faint caramel throughout. A sweet, sticky finish.

M - decent carbonation, although a tad watery.

O - a very average porter.

10-27-2012 20:41:36 | More by AllenS90
mscudder

Georgia

3.25/5  rDev -10.2%

Poured into a snifter. Best by 1/8/12 :(.

A - A deep almost plum hue with a deep tan head, two fingers width. The hue has me intrigued.

S - Pinch of chocolate , some hops and a bit of malts. Very, very subtle.

T - Dark malts with a touch of roasted sugar. A bit of bitterness on the back but all around a bit bland, lacking character. As the beer gets warmer I do detect a bit of molasses lurking around.

M - Medium plus body with an slick-oily composition. Some carbonation gives it a nice little kick.

O - Pretty basic brew, perhaps the 7 months past due had a negative effect on the favor. I would return to it given the right occasion because hell; its $2 a bottle.

09-13-2012 04:26:50 | More by mscudder
Megahertz

Missouri

3.53/5  rDev -2.5%

16.9 oz bottle into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass. Best before 30-SEP-12.

A - Plum-highlighted hazy black with a massive brown meringue-like head with good retention. Much lacing. Very nice.

S - Moderate prune with a subtle roasted coffee aroma. Very mild.

T - Deep raisiny esters with honey-like malt sweetness fades into a very subtle cocoa and roasted flavor in the rear. Finish is sweet.

M - Heavy body with medium carbonation. Malt sticks to the roof of your mouth.

O - A very smooth, fruity, honey sweet strong porter.

09-09-2012 02:45:51 | More by Megahertz
TheSixthRing

3.45/5  rDev -4.7%

Appearance - Pours a near jet black with cola brown edging. The head is a light tan color and 2 fingers thick. Retention is decent, leaving in it's absence a lace that's spotty and semi-sticky.

Smell - Aromas are apt; notes of coffe, chocolate, toffee, hints of booze and some dry, euro hoppiness. Maybe the strongest aspect of the beer.

Taste - Taste is primarily sweet caramel and toffee, with underlying notes of roasted coffee and chocolate. Doesn't quite hit the depths of roasted bitterness that it should. Nice to drink for a while, but becomes fairly cloying, sip after sip.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied and decently carbonated. Smooth and drinkable. Dry finish.

Overall - Not a particularly strong Baltic porter, and it could benefit from more pronounced darker flavors, but it's the smoothest Baltic I've had to date. Unfortunately that smoothness does little when it becomes too rich to enjoy.

08-23-2012 04:20:11 | More by TheSixthRing
djura

Serbia

3.73/5  rDev +3%

A-Dark ruby color,with coffee foam,lasting few minutes leaving nice lacing. Looks very rich in the bottle.

S-Caramel,coffee,fruits.

T/M-Creamy rich taste,caramel,bitter aftertaste. Almost no carbonation. Very balanced porter.

O-This is good beer,i will drink it often.

08-18-2012 08:39:56 | More by djura