2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Baltika #6 Porter - Baltika Breweries

Baltika #6 PorterBaltika #6 Porter

good

Baltika Breweries visit their website
Russian Federation

Baltic Porter |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-28-2003)
View: Beers (37) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Baltika #6 Porter Alström Bros
Ratings: 759 | Reviews: 562 | Show All Ratings:
BeerWithMike

Nebraska

4.16/5  rDev +14.9%

Pours a dark hazy black, with a tan head that dissipates fast that leaves close to 1/2 finger tan head with nice lacing. Aroma is of chocolate and coffee. Taste is very smooth actually with a nice sweet finish. Really liked this one and my first Russian beer!

07-26-2013 21:20:51 | More by BeerWithMike
barczar

Kentucky

3.89/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Pours an opaque brown black with a frothy dense tan head that lingers.

Aroma is extremely nutty and toasty, with hints of dark fruit, chocolate, and alcohol. Notes of plums and dates are masked a bit by alcohol esters.

Flavor is equally nutty, with rich caramel malt becoming a touch bitter at the finish. There's a hint of roast, and an underlying smoky character. Rum-soaked fruits, dark cherries and plums, add intrigue. Notes of tar and dark chocolate emerge as it warms.

Body is smooth and full, with low carbonation and high alcohol warmth.

A bit over the top in alcohol flavor and aroma, but nice, rich malt character. The esters are slightly overwhelming, and chocolate flavor is lacking. Not a bad brew, though. May lay one down a couple years to see what happens.

07-20-2013 02:12:47 | More by barczar
VictorWisc

3.79/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

1/2L bottle, bottled on/best by date 20.11, so just over half-way there.

Pours dark, very opaque. Cola colored when in front of light, but not translucent. Good soft tan head but dissipated much quicker than other reviewers describe. No lacing, but left a bit of bubble edging in the glass.
Malt aroma of pumpernickel and fresh-roasted coffee. A bit of yeasty wineyness, but just a hint.
Flavor is a bit mineral water, followed by coffee and caramel, then pumpernickel. Leaves substantial alcohol warmth on the tongue, but unfortunately followed by cheap-malt sour aftertaste. Some people might like it but for me it drags down the score. Petty good body and mouthfeel, but aftertaste is inescapable.

A decent Baltic porter, certainly one of the better Russian beers. But there is room for improvement, even at $2.19 for 1/2L bottle.

06-29-2013 03:30:21 | More by VictorWisc
SteveTheDog

3.74/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I first had all the Baltikas when I was travelling in Russia and the numbering system was great since we didn't speak much Russian. I distinctly remember liking #'s 6 & 9 and a friend found the 6 and brought it over to relive the experience. It was as good as I remember and nice to know it actually was a porter since I was just guessing. I like the color and aroma - I get a few hits of cocoa and coffee in the taste and I think the finish is nice and smooth and even a little thick - I pleasantly try to suck some of the flavor off the sides of my mouth. I like this one and I think it's my favorite out of Russia.

06-10-2013 19:55:38 | More by SteveTheDog
FLima

Brazil

3.61/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Black Color with lots and lots of thick caramel head with good retention and leaving laces. Good presentation card.
Grainy aroma with hints of toasted malts, dark fruits and earthy hops.
Sweet grains and toasted malts flavor with a good deal of earthy and floral hops. Hints of condiments, chocolate and tobacco. Dry and astringent aftertaste with a lingering sweetness.
I would recommend it (as opposed to some others from the Baltika family), careful not to compare this to turbinated US Baltic porters or similar Brewdogs.

04-18-2013 21:44:56 | More by FLima
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

3.8/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a fairly opaque black color with a huge tan head that persists forever in fact it tried to escape from the bottle when I pried the cap off. The aroma is dark fruity with caramel and burnt sugars and a hint of chocolate with a touch of alcohol. Sweet grainy honey like pilsener malt surprisingly shines through. The flavor follow the aroma quite well. Sweet grainy pilsner with some dark and burnt sugars touched off with some chocolate and some sweet sugar coated dark fruits. Long lingering sweet finish with a touch of ethanol. Medium body with a sweet slick mouthfeel and a moderate level of carbonation. Not a bad porter, certainly not over the top flavored like some Americanized versions, but kind of nice with it's subtleties.

04-02-2013 23:17:48 | More by johnnnniee
harrymel

Washington

3.34/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 2 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Bottled 10NOV12
Best by 10NOV13

Dark near black with little foam at all - not attractive really. Smells of raisin, malt, cocoa, and some toasted malts, kinda sweet but I like it. Bread, rye, more plum than anything, some toasted malts, some tobacco and a touch of turbinado. Medium on thin with low carb and an off dry finish. Overall not bad, I would drink again.

03-28-2013 07:15:59 | More by harrymel
rickyleepotts

Arizona

3.66/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

This is our last beer from Baltika, but there are only two beers on the list. I am a big fan of their #9, a Euro pale lager. It has a high ABV and a nice sweet flavor, and is only $2.49 a bottle! But today we are drinking their baltic porter, the #6. I feel like I had had this before, but I will need to check my Untappd account. Regardless, I am hooked on dark/thick beers. I like to let these warm up a little bit, so I am excited to see how this tastes. However, baltic porters (not sure what makes them "baltic") usually have a metallic flavor at the end. Hopefully this one doesn't, but I won't hold my breath.

(Sorry, had to answer the door. My new Mizuno golf bag is here! I am getting all new Mizuno golf clubs and I am STOKED for this and the next delivery. The next delivery is… the clubs! I haven't opened the box yet, but I will. I want to record it for YouTube… the unveiling, if you will!)

Now I am excited. Let's drink.

In the Glass: The beer poured nice and thick from the bottle, and is pitch black in the glass. There are a lot of bubbles, though. In a porter, I usually don't expect to see a lot of carbonation. However, this one looks to be extremely carbonated at first. There isn't much lace, either. It's thin what is there. I wonder what this smells like…

Nose: This has a very earthy aroma… and I am getting a hint of that metallic aroma that I was talking about. Sheryl just said, "It smells like chocolate." I disagree. If it does, all I am getting from there is a hint of sweetness. What chocolate might be there is dark chocolate. More burnt sugars than anything. But that metal aroma keeps coming back. Maybe my mind is set on what a baltic porter is supposed to smell like. I will shut up… let's drink!

Flavor: Yeah, there is that metallic flavor I remember. I need to look up where the name baltic comes from. At least in regards to a beer. I am not saying this is bad, but the flavor is compromised. It tastes like it smells, which is rare for a good craft beer. Plus, this bottle traveled from Russia, so there's that! One thing I don't want a porter to be is drinkable… and this one is. It's too thin to be a porter.

Mouthfeel: This is actually quite nice. It is thing. Very thing. By it being thin, it makes the beer even that more drinkable. Not sure that is a good thing. I don't want to feel like I am tearing this beer apart… because I am not. I am just excited about my new golf bag and I am really thirsty! My pint is almost gone! My favorite part of this beer is the aftertaste. (The burp is actually nice, too. It brings those candied sugars back to the surface, and makes another sip even more desirable.)

Aftertaste: This is my favorite part of the beer. The chocolate flavors that Sheryl was talking about remind me of sugars and burnt sugars that remind me of an ice cream shop. Like the sugar cookies and the cones they make right there. Great, now I want ice cream! Speaking of ice cream, I bet this beer would make a great float. The beer is cheap, so maybe I will grab some ice cream on the way home tonight!

The beer is good, but not great. It is a daily drinking porter, and I would buy this again, but only for the price. It's a good example of baltic porter, but I don't have a ton of experience with these. Every brewing company makes a porter… but few make a baltic porter. Maybe this is a European thing. I will do some digging before we get to our next baltic porter. Cheers!

02-25-2013 21:30:42 | More by rickyleepotts
jmdrpi

3.13/5  rDev -13.5%

500 ml bottle, printed on label is 21.02.12 and 21.02.13, which I interpret as that it was brewed February 21 2012, which a best by of a year.

appears black, opaque. thick khaki colored head. good head retention. smells like milk chocolate, maybe some earthy hops. mild aroma. taste is just a slightly roasted flavor.very smooth and mild, one flavor note. medium thick body, medium to higher carbonation. overall - just okay.

01-26-2013 04:47:27 | More by jmdrpi
jimmah120

3.05/5  rDev -15.7%

cool looking bottle, into guinness pint

look is a dark murky amber-brown. almost no head. smell is very faint roasted malts and cocoa powder. taste is very sweet red malt, finishing slightly dry and bitter. very subdued roasted/smoky flavors. feel is medium and bubbly. alcohol is undetectable.

very average. would be a good session beer, but kind of a let down. still blows their #9 out of the wAter tho.

12-23-2012 09:11:44 | More by jimmah120
AllenS90

2.93/5  rDev -19.1%

Poured from a bottle dated 06/13/12

A - muddy brown, black with a quickly dissipating beige head. Not that bad.

S - very metallic, uninviting. Some very faint notes of chocolate.

T - an acerbic chocolate taste up front. Faint caramel throughout. A sweet, sticky finish.

M - decent carbonation, although a tad watery.

O - a very average porter.

10-27-2012 20:41:36 | More by AllenS90
mscudder

Georgia

3.25/5  rDev -10.2%

Poured into a snifter. Best by 1/8/12 :(.

A - A deep almost plum hue with a deep tan head, two fingers width. The hue has me intrigued.

S - Pinch of chocolate , some hops and a bit of malts. Very, very subtle.

T - Dark malts with a touch of roasted sugar. A bit of bitterness on the back but all around a bit bland, lacking character. As the beer gets warmer I do detect a bit of molasses lurking around.

M - Medium plus body with an slick-oily composition. Some carbonation gives it a nice little kick.

O - Pretty basic brew, perhaps the 7 months past due had a negative effect on the favor. I would return to it given the right occasion because hell; its $2 a bottle.

09-13-2012 04:26:50 | More by mscudder
Megahertz

Missouri

3.53/5  rDev -2.5%

16.9 oz bottle into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass. Best before 30-SEP-12.

A - Plum-highlighted hazy black with a massive brown meringue-like head with good retention. Much lacing. Very nice.

S - Moderate prune with a subtle roasted coffee aroma. Very mild.

T - Deep raisiny esters with honey-like malt sweetness fades into a very subtle cocoa and roasted flavor in the rear. Finish is sweet.

M - Heavy body with medium carbonation. Malt sticks to the roof of your mouth.

O - A very smooth, fruity, honey sweet strong porter.

09-09-2012 02:45:51 | More by Megahertz
TheSixthRing

3.45/5  rDev -4.7%

Appearance - Pours a near jet black with cola brown edging. The head is a light tan color and 2 fingers thick. Retention is decent, leaving in it's absence a lace that's spotty and semi-sticky.

Smell - Aromas are apt; notes of coffe, chocolate, toffee, hints of booze and some dry, euro hoppiness. Maybe the strongest aspect of the beer.

Taste - Taste is primarily sweet caramel and toffee, with underlying notes of roasted coffee and chocolate. Doesn't quite hit the depths of roasted bitterness that it should. Nice to drink for a while, but becomes fairly cloying, sip after sip.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied and decently carbonated. Smooth and drinkable. Dry finish.

Overall - Not a particularly strong Baltic porter, and it could benefit from more pronounced darker flavors, but it's the smoothest Baltic I've had to date. Unfortunately that smoothness does little when it becomes too rich to enjoy.

08-23-2012 04:20:11 | More by TheSixthRing
djura

Serbia

3.73/5  rDev +3%

A-Dark ruby color,with coffee foam,lasting few minutes leaving nice lacing. Looks very rich in the bottle.

S-Caramel,coffee,fruits.

T/M-Creamy rich taste,caramel,bitter aftertaste. Almost no carbonation. Very balanced porter.

O-This is good beer,i will drink it often.

08-18-2012 08:39:56 | More by djura
rangerred

Tennessee

3.2/5  rDev -11.6%

Poured into a pint glass out of a 22oz bottle.

Pours a rich nearly opaque reddish brown with a one finger brown head. Fairly good head retention and lacing on this beer.

Aroma of coffee, prunes, raisins, and a little bit of smoke.

The fruit really comes through in the taste lending to a sweetness that gets to be a bit much at times. A little bit of caramel is there too but not as much in the way of coffee that I picked up on in the nose. Hops are barely present with very little in the way of bitterness.

Overall, an ok porter but it leaves quite a bit to be desired. The flavors are pretty muted and it is a little too sweet for my tastes. Gets to be a bit cloying after awhile. Glad I was able to try this although I doubt I will pick it up again.

07-25-2012 00:46:54 | More by rangerred
dbrauneis

3.7/5  rDev +2.2%

A: Pours a clear very dark brown in color (in fact, almost black until you hold it up to the light) with light amounts of visible carbonation near the edges of the glass. The beer has a finger tall creamy tan head which slowly reduces to a medium patch of very thin film with a thicker ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate to significant amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light to moderate aromas of roasted and dark roasted malts with subtle hints of anise/licorice.

T: Light flavors of dark roasted malts with some lighter hints of licorice and coffee.

M: Light to medium bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation. Almost prickly from the high amounts of carbonation.

O: Very thin in body for a baltic porter and seems to lack the vinous notes that I expect for the style. The taste of this beer is quite pleasant and the alcohol is well hidden. Easy to drink and enjoyable.

07-23-2012 22:24:22 | More by dbrauneis
metter98

3.7/5  rDev +2.2%

A: The beer is clear but very dark brown in color. It poured with a finger high dense tan head that quickly died down, leaving a large collar around the edge of the glass.
S: There are light to moderate aromas of licorice in the nose.
T: The taste is similar to the smell and also has some hints of roasted malts.
M: It feels medium-bodied and somewhat thin on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is quite light in body and watery compared to other beers in the style, but this makes it relatively easy to drink. No traces of alcohol are present in the taste.

07-22-2012 20:58:02 | More by metter98
bmwats

Louisiana

3.58/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured from a 500 ml. bottle into a footed tulip.

A: Very dark brown or black. Pours about a 1 and a half finger, foamy, tan head. Settles slowly, leaving a blanket of froth and a sticky ring. Sporadic, but well defined, spider web lacing.

S: Lightly roasted malt tone, with almond, and just a little dark chocolate.

T: Roasted espresso, unsweetened cocoa, walnut and pecan, and a subtle indistinct sweetness.

M: Thick and heavy. Pungent throughout, with a slightly bitter and dry finish. Has a certain synthetic-feeling sweetness that lingers on the palette.

D: Sipping brew, but goes down easy. A bit of an off-putting aftertaste though.

Atmosphere is pretty good. Really nice dark appearance with a dense and substantial foamy head, and some fair lacing. Nose is roasted malt with nutty and chocolate components. Flavor is heavy combination of roasted coffee, cocoa, and nuts. Pungent with a funky lingering aftertaste. Overall, this is a good quaff.

07-22-2012 04:01:54 | More by bmwats
falloutsnow

3.2/5  rDev -11.6%

Bottle from Hyvee in Council Bluffs, IA
Bottled on 01.08.11, best by 01.08.12
Poured into a tulip glass

Baltika's porter focuses on dark fruit esters and toffee with secretive nods towards roasted malt flavors. The beer itself was fairly average, with few particularly stand-out flavors or changes in interpretation over time; that is, no new flavors developed. I don't think I'd seek this beer out again: that few things stood out to me make it fairly forgettable.

Pours a tall (>3cm) head of medium-dark tan color that fades in about two minutes to a thin ring around the glass and a modest island of residual foam atop the body. Head leaves some interesting lacing along the sides of the glass as it descends.

Aroma of toffee, toasted nuts, and dried fruit esters, particularly prunes and black mission figs. Perhaps a bit of roasted malt, but it's subtle and in the background. Definitely on the eastern European axis of baltic porter style, focusing on sweetness and fruit esters rather than roasted malt concepts.

Tip of tongue picks up fairly generic dark malts, a balance between roasted and sweet flavors that seems to cancel much of the two out. Front of the palate picks up dried fruit esters, notably prunes and black figs, along with very mild roasted malt sweetness. Mid-palate of toffee, some bread, and continued fruit esters, though milder. Back of palate mixes roasted malts with dried fruit esters, with a slight ethanol. Aftertaste of lingering roasted, somewhat acrid, malts.

Beer is medium-bodied with medium to medium-low intensity of carbonation. Resulting mouthfeel is generally smooth and slightly creamy. Beer closes out with a semi-dry finish and some mild stickiness on the palate and lips.

06-27-2012 22:29:55 | More by falloutsnow
bark

Sweden

4.3/5  rDev +18.8%

The colour is black (100 EBC), the liquid is clear. The very high warm brown head is compact. It sinks slowly leaving no lacing.

The smell got notes of dark chocolate, figs, clean alcohol, roasted malts (no burned flavours) and some clean bitterness. It is quite smooth and dry.

The taste is semi-sweet with discreet notes of dried fruits, figs and raisins. There are soms quickly passing salty notes that gives the beer flavours some depth. The malts are booth roasted and a bit burned. Light refreshing clean bitter notes, no hop flavours. Medium body. The alcohol slowly grown in the aftertaste as well as a smooth raisin sweetness.

The carbonation is mild to medium, the small bubbles smooth. The liquid is semi-dry.

A fine example of the Baltic Porter style: It is not heavy, and the focus is on the malts.

06-10-2012 18:24:58 | More by bark
Jwale73

Rhode Island

3.3/5  rDev -8.8%

500ml bottle served in a standard pint glass. 27.06.11 indicated on the back label. Pours the color and clarity of cola with a 1.5 inch khaki-colored head that sizzles and pops and slowly recedes into a sudsy skim. Nose expresses dark, vinous fruits, lager yeast and a hint of oxidation. Taste follows nose; however, it all comes off a bit watered down with a very assertive German-lager skunk that lingers between quaffs. There's also a trace of toffee and roast mixed into the flavor profile. Mouthfeel is medium-light in body with a pleasant, even carbonation and a slight acidity. Overall, decent and drinkable. Not the best example of the style, but I certainly wouldn't turn one down if offered. I'd like to try this again with a fresher bottle as the label suggests that its best by date is 27.06.12, which is only a few weeks away.

06-03-2012 01:29:48 | More by Jwale73
janubio

Spain

3.43/5  rDev -5.2%

500 ml. bottle, pours a dark colour, brown hints when hold to the light, and a big brownish head that fades quickly. Smell of cofee, chocolate and cherries, though it's not really a strong smell. Maybe too light body for the style, taste of caramel and coffee, with hints of cherries. Too sweet. Not bad, but nothing special either.

05-29-2012 19:44:37 | More by janubio
MammothTarantula

Oklahoma

2.93/5  rDev -19.1%

Picked this up at a local liquor store after having it recommended to me by a friend. The bottle is uniquely shaped and looks really cool. Poured it into a Samuel Smith pint glass.

A: A very solid looking beer. Very very dark brown in color, nearly opaque. Towering tan head stuck around for awhile. Moderate lacing.

S: Typical porter scent. Dark roasted malts, hints of coffee. Nothing too special here.

T: Tastes pretty much how it smells. Maybe a little woody elements. As I drank this, it seemed like the flavors were coming together to do something big, but it never materialized. It was frustrating.

M: Really creamy and moderately carbonated. Very enjoyable. Mouthfeel is easily the best aspect of this beer.

O: Average. I'll drink it again, but won't actively seek it. I'd probably recommend it, if not just for the fact that it isn't a bad beer.

04-13-2012 19:29:10 | More by MammothTarantula
LuthersMug

3.65/5  rDev +0.8%

A - Dark chocolate in color with a large tan creamy and a bit fizzy head. Lacing was good.

S - Chocolates, Coffee, and some oak.

T - Toasted breads, chocolate, and some coffee.

M - A very smooth and creamy porter, that felt good going down. Carbonation was good.

O - Enjoyed very much.