Baltika #6 Porter - Baltika Breweries

good

Baltika Breweries visit their website
Russian Federation

Baltic Porter |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-28-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Baltika #6 Porter Alström Bros
Sixpack595

Pours an opaque black with a full tan head. Aroma of dark fruits, roasty and coffee-like. Medium mouthfeel and light carbonation. Taste is of bittersweet chocolate, slightly fruity without being cloying. Overall a good, drinkable beer. My only real complaint is that it could stand to be a bit more robust. A bit more aroma, a bit more mouthfeel, and a bit stronger taste. Not much, just a touch.

02-17-2004 10:15:48 | More by Sixpack595
Lauthaha

4.25/5  rDev +17.7%

Poured from a half-liter bottle into a half-liter beer glass.

Appearance: Slightly viscous, it pours a nearly-opaque cola color. Two-finger caramel colored head recedes very slowly, leaving pretty heavy lacing on the glass as it does so. Really great head retention.

Smell: Medium-thick bready scent accented with licorice, coriander maybe. Buttery and bitter notes dot the fragrance; some dark chocolate could be the culprit there.

Taste/Mouthfeel: This beer is slightly oily, with a very limited carbonation. The head adds a nice dimension to the beer, and gives it a little more character. Definitely some bitter chocolate in the mix. It tastes amazing, but that oiliness is just a little tough to get used to.

Drinkability: Aesthetically pleasing and also pleasing on the palate. I could drink one of these every night during the colder months.

I like Porters, and this is a good example.

10-24-2010 01:49:05 | More by Lauthaha
engagechad

3.53/5  rDev -2.2%

Purchased as a single from Wine and Beer Westpark in Glen Allen, VA - tulip

Pours a very dark mahoghany brown with a little red light on the edges. Massive head and decent lacing. Smells of brown sugar and cookies, but a little funky. Taste is nice and smooth but finishes thin and stingy.

Overall this is a good beer however not really a beer that I would seek out again.

07-29-2011 21:45:40 | More by engagechad
BerkeleyBeerMan

3.65/5  rDev +1.1%

Darkest brown with reddish undertones. Nice creamy brown espresso head with light lacing.

Flavor of cocoa and molasses with vanilla port wine and slight licorice. Damp earthy.

Thick syrupy and slightly dry. I enjoy this beer and it's ridiculously cheap. Pair with chocolate.

12-06-2011 06:43:38 | More by BerkeleyBeerMan
jwhawkins81

2.78/5  rDev -23%

Bottled on 4/24/2009 tasted on 2/19/2010

Aroma - Slight roast with a dark fruit sweetness. This is a very good and complex aroma.

Appearance - Dark with a very big light brown head.

Taste - Sweet and slightly earthy. Noticeable absence of roasted malt flavors. Too sweet to be enjoyable really.

Notes - Medium mouthfeel

04-17-2010 19:22:07 | More by jwhawkins81
rallyr32

12-03-2012 00:32:45 | More by rallyr32
cambabeer

07-20-2014 20:31:32 | More by cambabeer
BWED

3.11/5  rDev -13.9%

500 ml bottle poured into a pint glass.

A- Very dark brown body, with highlights resembling red wine. Light brown and fizzy head sits on top but dissipates after a few gulps.

S- Roast, caramel and cocoa. Some booze hints, and even dark fruits.

T- Roasty. Semi-sweet cocoa is in there too. There is a bit of an ashy taste at the end along with a slight twinge of hop.

M- Full body, but smooth, and a very mild bitter finish.

O- Fairly impressive. It doesn't taste cheap, like the #4. Besides the ashtray kind of taste this is a decent porter.

08-24-2013 03:31:43 | More by BWED
BeefyMee

Connecticut

2.55/5  rDev -29.4%

Appearance: Pretty solid here. A nearly black body with a good sized head and a little bit of lacing.

Smell: A malty sweetness accompanied by some alcohol. The alcohol aroma becomes more prevalent in the last half of the glass.

Taste: Good at first but this did not last long. It initially gave me this strong Samuel Smith vibe, like a Nut Brown mixed with a Taddy Porter. The nutty flavor was very noticeable, but this soon gave way to a taste of strong alcohol that was biting in the aftertaste. The nuttiness remains but is dominated by the alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Kind of thin with a bit of acidity on the tongue.

Drinkability: I'll finish this one, but...well let's just say I'm not upset that I didn't buy another.

Beef Notes: It wouldn't take much to make this an above average brew. Some of that alcohol taste just needs to go away. I still don't understand why it tastes so much like alcohol when it's only 7%. I won't be returning to this one until someone tells me they've changed the recipe.

02-24-2004 05:09:47 | More by BeefyMee
webbcreative

Oklahoma

Poured dark brown, almost black, with light tan 1 finger head that disappeared quicker than a cupcake at Kirstie Alley's house. Smell is of sweeet malt and some spiciness - like from the alcohol maybe. It really reminds me alot of the Shiner Commemorator.

Taste is the same - Really sweet with some grainy type spiciness. Dark fruits also make an appearance of the plum, raisiny variety.

Mouthfeel is right about where I would expect an Porter to be - med to thin.

Overall this a good beer - not great - but very good - Would be a bit more drinkable if it were a bit less sweet. I think this would be a great cold weather porter though. I will probably be picking this one up more just because of theses great home brewing bottles they come with. and all for around $2 - not too shabby.

05-02-2010 21:20:00 | More by webbcreative
Daredevil

Switzerland

4.01/5  rDev +11.1%

glass used: original Duvel glass

Eye: opaque, almost black, foamy very firm head

Nose: dark roasted malts, coffee

Palate: dark (belgian) chocolate, espresso, some hints of elderberry, all well integrated

a very dry, full bodied brew of high quality

03-15-2014 21:57:02 | More by Daredevil
tjthresh

Indiana

16.9 Fl. Oz.
Best Before 26.09.05

Appearance: Awesome. Poured with a nice long lasting beige head. Started at about an inch then faded to 1/4 in. Clung to the sides of the glass. Dark brown with garnet highlights.

Smell: Dark chocolate, rasins, and caramel. No hops. All malt baby. Alcohol.

Taste: Reminds me a lot of one of the Reisen candys. Subtle sweetness, with some dark chocolate and coffee. Some hop bitterness. Very easy to drink.

Mouthfeel: Med-full body. Carbonation level give a very 'mouth-fillng sensation.

Drinkability: Outstanding nightcap. I think I may start keeping a couple of these around the house. At 7%, its just enought to enjoy the full pint and give you that sleepy feeling.

04-24-2005 16:49:56 | More by tjthresh
brewQ

Missouri

3.9/5  rDev +8%

I am liking Baltika's lne up!
A good value.

This pours deep and black with a thick tan head that stays.
Smells of coffee and some indiscernible spice.

It's a meal that laces the glass nicely.

For $1.99 the half liter this works well and is certainly drinkable- tho at 7% I may not stick with it all evening!

A nice way to support the Russian economy.

05-17-2007 01:51:11 | More by brewQ
drperm

3.63/5  rDev +0.6%

’m discovering that Baltic/Eastern European porters and stouts seem to be either a hit or a miss. This one was a clear hit.

Most noteworthy is the palate/mouthfeel and finish, which indeed sets it off from its more harsh cousins. It goes down smooth like silk. It's incredibly easy drinking (especially for its darkness and strength) and enjoyable to partake. It's no Old Rasputin, but I'd gladly have it again.

A great dessert beer.

01-23-2008 13:55:02 | More by drperm
marley2112

3.25/5  rDev -10%

07-22-2013 04:17:45 | More by marley2112
Ellbert

4.35/5  rDev +20.5%

A: The appearance is very dark black, almost a stout. The head left something to be desired.

S: Very roasted and sweet in the nose.

T: A lot of burn caramel and alcohol spice. Very good and balance. A nice sweetness works its way in the taste.

M: A little slick and full.

A great beer.

07-30-2006 03:23:05 | More by Ellbert
natelocc787

4.05/5  rDev +12.2%

Poured black with a big, tall graham colored head. Nice lacing and nose. All roasted barley, black maltyness, a little coffee bean and milk chocolate. The taste has a unique flavor to it, like they made the chocolate character very creamy, not bitter and burnt. Hops are put mostly to the side in this example. The mouthfeel was a tad thin even though the bubbles were small enough to get close to the silky texture they were no doubt shooting for. Overall a nice example and a unique creamy milk chocolate/mocha type sweetness that isn't overdone but just right. I was expecting an average beer but happily I got something much better. Only a $1.99 for a pint bottle and 7% abv makes this one affordable and practical.

11-28-2009 04:52:51 | More by natelocc787
nickss

3.95/5  rDev +9.4%

Pours a pitch black with a faint ruby hue around the edge. The head starts off as about a 1" beige beauty, but quickly fades to just a cap.

Aromas of caramel and roasted malts float off of this one. Barely perceptible chocolate as it warms. What I can smell is nice, but it needs more oomph.

Chocolate, nuttiness, caramel, and fig. Much bigger flavor than the aroma would lead you to believe. Quite delicious.

Big and thick with a tight finish. Perhaps a bit much on the carbonation, but really a small complaint.... pretty much spot on.

One of the more drinkable baltic porters I have come across... makes me long for the days of Perkuno's Thunder.

All in all a very solid brew, and one I would certainly not mind purchasing again... especially for the price.... definitely a steal.

08-15-2008 22:00:55 | More by nickss
eberkman

3.5/5  rDev -3%

poured out of a 550 ml (2 for 4 bucks).

Very dark, opaque, almost black body with a deep tan head that is substantial at first but diminishes a little quicker than I'd like. Smells of dark, roasted coffee, chocolate, caramel, toffee and hints of dark fruits. Taste is similar. Almost over-the-top sweet with huge coffee notes and some dark fruit in the background. Cloyingly sweet finish and a somewhat strong lingering chalky, pasty sensation. A little bit of bitterness to balance things to an extent. Nice, full body and pretty drinkable.

Good on a cold night with grilled bangers and stewed lentils. Good for a late night winding-down sipper as well.

10-31-2007 04:38:56 | More by eberkman
rickyleepotts

Arizona

3.66/5  rDev +1.4%

This is our last beer from Baltika, but there are only two beers on the list. I am a big fan of their #9, a Euro pale lager. It has a high ABV and a nice sweet flavor, and is only $2.49 a bottle! But today we are drinking their baltic porter, the #6. I feel like I had had this before, but I will need to check my Untappd account. Regardless, I am hooked on dark/thick beers. I like to let these warm up a little bit, so I am excited to see how this tastes. However, baltic porters (not sure what makes them "baltic") usually have a metallic flavor at the end. Hopefully this one doesn't, but I won't hold my breath.

(Sorry, had to answer the door. My new Mizuno golf bag is here! I am getting all new Mizuno golf clubs and I am STOKED for this and the next delivery. The next delivery is… the clubs! I haven't opened the box yet, but I will. I want to record it for YouTube… the unveiling, if you will!)

Now I am excited. Let's drink.

In the Glass: The beer poured nice and thick from the bottle, and is pitch black in the glass. There are a lot of bubbles, though. In a porter, I usually don't expect to see a lot of carbonation. However, this one looks to be extremely carbonated at first. There isn't much lace, either. It's thin what is there. I wonder what this smells like…

Nose: This has a very earthy aroma… and I am getting a hint of that metallic aroma that I was talking about. Sheryl just said, "It smells like chocolate." I disagree. If it does, all I am getting from there is a hint of sweetness. What chocolate might be there is dark chocolate. More burnt sugars than anything. But that metal aroma keeps coming back. Maybe my mind is set on what a baltic porter is supposed to smell like. I will shut up… let's drink!

Flavor: Yeah, there is that metallic flavor I remember. I need to look up where the name baltic comes from. At least in regards to a beer. I am not saying this is bad, but the flavor is compromised. It tastes like it smells, which is rare for a good craft beer. Plus, this bottle traveled from Russia, so there's that! One thing I don't want a porter to be is drinkable… and this one is. It's too thin to be a porter.

Mouthfeel: This is actually quite nice. It is thing. Very thing. By it being thin, it makes the beer even that more drinkable. Not sure that is a good thing. I don't want to feel like I am tearing this beer apart… because I am not. I am just excited about my new golf bag and I am really thirsty! My pint is almost gone! My favorite part of this beer is the aftertaste. (The burp is actually nice, too. It brings those candied sugars back to the surface, and makes another sip even more desirable.)

Aftertaste: This is my favorite part of the beer. The chocolate flavors that Sheryl was talking about remind me of sugars and burnt sugars that remind me of an ice cream shop. Like the sugar cookies and the cones they make right there. Great, now I want ice cream! Speaking of ice cream, I bet this beer would make a great float. The beer is cheap, so maybe I will grab some ice cream on the way home tonight!

The beer is good, but not great. It is a daily drinking porter, and I would buy this again, but only for the price. It's a good example of baltic porter, but I don't have a ton of experience with these. Every brewing company makes a porter… but few make a baltic porter. Maybe this is a European thing. I will do some digging before we get to our next baltic porter. Cheers!

02-25-2013 21:30:42 | More by rickyleepotts
Dylanjf

3.5/5  rDev -3%

05-17-2014 00:10:53 | More by Dylanjf
Jips

Kansas

3.6/5  rDev -0.3%

17 oz bottle to pint glass

Poured thickest head I've had on a porter/Imperial stout: 2+ fingers of tan foamy frothy goodness, nice amber-dark brown color.

Smelled of light sweet malts: heavily sugar'd up coffee and caramel.

A little watery mouthfeel, but the taste makes up for it.

Tastes like it smells plus more dark sweet malt flavors (milk chocolate, molasses, brown sugar). No aftertaste, flavor is all upfront with no lingering alchy burn despite the 7%. The sweetness would normally be sickeningly sweet to me but the hops (though their flavor isn't distinct) or maybe the malt blend makes the taste just right.

Just the right amount of sweetness for a non-coffee or roast dominant flavor porter, nice change of pace from my usual preference. Will definitely try Baltika's other dark offerings.

09-11-2010 04:09:39 | More by Jips
speter

4.33/5  rDev +19.9%

Bottle purchased in Bahetle in Kazan, Russia. Bottle has both a bottling date (03.01.10) and a best-by date (03.01.11).

A: Pours a deep mahogany with an impressive two-finger tan head. Head fades to good lacing.

S: Roast malt, caramel, raisins and burnt sugar.

T: This is one of the better porters I've had, and one of the best Russian beers overall. The taste is on the dry end of the porter range. (I find most porters too sweet.) In spite of the dryness, there's quite a but of fruity esters going on. Raisins, cherries, etc.

M: Beautiful full body without the excessive pinprick carbonation of other Russian beers.

D: I split this half-liter bottle with my wife, but I could easily have one (or two!) by myself. I suspect the alcohol would sneak up eventually.

07-18-2010 13:57:33 | More by speter
tvv375ia

Iowa

3.85/5  rDev +6.6%

poured from 500ml bottle into imperial pint glass

A-dark sienna witha a 2 finger tan head that faded quickly without much lacing

S-chocolate with a little coffee and carmel

T-light chocolate flavors with some carmel malts follwed up with a hint of alcohol

M-kind of thin but otherwise well carbonated

O-had a brewed on date of 9-2-11 so it is fresh and good flavors I might get a few of these to keep on hand

09-20-2011 22:31:46 | More by tvv375ia
steinlifter

4.47/5  rDev +23.8%

This poured dark as night, almost pitch black...big frothy tan head, that left broken lacing all the way down.
Smell: Was of coffee, and molasses.
Taste: Beautiful,...initial hop presence...mellowing to a slightly bitter coffee flavor...that continues to mellow to a slight molasses-like sweetness...finishes nice and smooth!
Mouthfeel...is bubbly crisp...good creaminess comes in, again, smooth finish.
Drinkability....just wonderful!..way better than I had even hoped for....easily the best beer from this brewery that I have had...a good solid quality Porter!

09-02-2006 23:05:00 | More by steinlifter