Baltika #8 Wheat - Baltika Breweries

poor

Baltika Breweries visit their website
Russian Federation

Hefeweizen |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Naerhu on 12-24-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Baltika #8 Wheat Alström Bros
1.55/5  rDev -56.2%

Baltika No. 8

Appearance: Light yellow with a large head and little to no lacing.

Smell: A hint of wheat and yeast.

Taste: Bland wheat and yeast water.

Mouthfeel: Medium and semi-smooth.

Bottom line:
This is one of the most bland beers I've ever had. It makes Bud Light seem complex. If you've never had a Russian beer, don't start with this one.

1.75/5  rDev -50.6%

1.75/5  rDev -50.6%

Believe it or not, this was my first wheat beer ever. It had two features I noticed that distinguish it from other styles of beer:
1) The flavor was really weird (I can't even compare it to anything else.) I'm not sure if that's unique to this particular brew, or if all wheat beers taste the same way. I'm not sure I want to find out, either.
2) It had a very sticky, clinging texture.

Overall, this was not something I'd want to drink again, but it was interesting having an unfiltered beer.

2.25/5  rDev -36.4%

2.28/5  rDev -35.6%

Bought in Melbourne, bottle resembles the one in the photo but with a paper collar instead of foil and perhaps a longer neck.

Poured into an Erdinger glass, a large fluffy head formed which broke down reasonably quickly into a thin retained head with lacing. Fairly dark yellow but not amber. A good amount of small bubbles. This is my first beer of the style - I thought this was a Russian take on a Bavarian Hefeweizen but the flavour is different. For a Weizen the appearance is below average.

Smell: Bizarre. I'd like to know what esters/acids are responsible for that whisky malt-like aroma, because as soon as I opened the bottle that smell pervaded the room. It wasn't very appealing since it's 43 degrees in Canberra today and I was after a cool refreshing Weissbier, not a nip of Scotch. On the upside, no adjunct aromas are present, although there is some bubblegum and something smelling a bit like burning plastic bag. If I'd known this brew was going to smell like this I would have served it colder... not a flattering comment.

Taste: Not too offensive, apart from an unpleasant, indefinable aftertaste on the palate. Maybe some lemon, malt and tart, unpleasant yeast notes... Can't elaborate on it too much. I don't know if it's the style I don't like - seeing as though this resembles a Hefe crossed with a bad English wheat ale: merely a bastardised form of one of my favourite styles, or if it's just a mediocre brew. In any case, it's not for a lack of a distinct flavour, just that the flavour is wrong.

The beer seems a little bit flat in the mouth too. As I get down to the bottom of the glass, my mouth isn't happy and it's starting to refuse to swallow. As for drinkability - this deserves an even lower score. I wouldn't drink another one of these if offered, unless under extenuating, extreme-thirst-inducing circumstances.

This brew got worse the more I drank. Probably wouldn't be too bad if drunk really cold. Still, more texture and depth to it than any other Russian beer I've had.

2.3/5  rDev -35%

Straw coloured, tending to a light greenish. Abundant, creamy, white head.
Weizen smell, quite banana, not unpleasant. Quite sweet, but not too much.
The taste slips away a little, nothing to remember.
No defects, but not really interesting.
Wheta notes, and cloves.
Sweetish aftertaste, average persistence.

2.48/5  rDev -29.9%

A: Pale and cloudy yellow. A frothy white head forms that recedes fast. Just a touch of lace.
S: A musky fruity smell. I am not impressed at all.
T: Metallic and harsh. A bit of banana, coriander, and some spices.
M/D: Thin, watery, and just blah in the mouth. This is not a hard beer to drink, but whats the point?

A disappointing beer that is thin and week all around. Avoid.

2.55/5  rDev -28%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #54 (July 2011):

Muddled light amber beige color, with a decent lacing on top. Strong overripe fruit, yeast, wet bread and very faint cheap wine ... not sure where this beer is going, but the nose is way out there. Smooth and creamy with a medium- size body. Some breadiness but the fruitiness takes over; vinous with nearly rotten fruit and an odd warming alcohol. A chore to drink, this beer needs to be cleaned up, as the potential is there.

2.55/5  rDev -28%

Large discolored floaties in a beautiful apricot colored body, with large pure white body and pure white head.

Creamy citrus aroma.

Zero aftertaste and barely any fruit flavor. What little there was, was banana, ginger.

Exceedingly thin, harsh husk mouthfeel.

I was very upset when I tried to pass this off on my wife, and she refused. I had to finish the whole one by myself before I could get to my Brooklyn Dark Chocolate Stout.

2.58/5  rDev -27.1%

500ml bottle into a weizen glass.

Pours a hazy brownish-orange with a thick foamy head. Head retention is ok but there is absolutely no lacing at all.

Aroma is fairly straight forward for a hefeweizen. Plenty of banana and cloves along with a pleasant yeasty-ness.

The flavor is where things go a bit awry. It all starts out good with the typical hefe flavors you would expect: banana, clove, and yeast. However these flavors tend to be pretty weak and do not last. The mouthfeel is very watery and not at all full and smooth like I expect a wheat beer to be. The finish is pretty sticky which is kind of odd for a beer lacking mouthfeel.

Overall, a decent attempt but it just doesn't quite come together.

2.63/5  rDev -25.7%

Appearance: bright golden-yellow in color, one inch head, cloudy, high carbonation

Smell: banana, wheat, and clove

Taste: Wheat dominates...There are touches of bananas, clove, and a bit of honey

Mouthfeel: very light bodied, high carbonation, very very sweet

Drinkability: Light and weak for the style. Lately I have had the pleasure of trying complex hefes and this is not one. This is not a bad beer and I would have this again if offered--maybe even down a couple. However, in the style, there are much better.

2.63/5  rDev -25.7%

Presentation: 1pint 0.9oz brown bottle poured into my 0.50L-marked tall Paulaner mug.

A - Pours a cloudy pale yellow and, even with a gentle pour, a huge, creamy, dense head of very small bubbles that lasts forever. Not much lacing.

S - Very dry wheaty/grainy smell (reminds me of Heineken, actually...) with lemon and a slight hint of banana hidden waaayyy in the background. No noticeable clove. Not as full of an aroma as I tend to like.

T/M - It tastes like a combination of Heineken and an American hefe. First I get the pleasant wheat flavor with a pleasant yeastiness from the sediment. Then the finish and after taste are very Heineken to me; dry, grainy and sharp. The lemon zest flavor is quite nice. There's an aggressive carbonation of very fine bubbles; champagne-like, but not quite and calms down as you go. Body is pretty typical of a wheat; maybe on the thin side of average.

D - Not entirely unpleasant. Goes down easy, very refreshing. Light, but not too light....but that damned after taste just won't cut it for me. I'm glad I only bought one. If someone offered me one, I'd take it, but not something I'd buy again. Plenty of better Hefes out there.

Baltika #8 Wheat from Baltika Breweries