Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Baltika #8 Wheat - Baltika Breweries

Baltika #8 WheatBaltika #8 Wheat

good

poor

Baltika Breweries visit their website
Russian Federation

Hefeweizen |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Naerhu on 12-24-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Baltika #8 Wheat Alström Bros
1.6/5  rDev -55.8%

Baltika No. 8

Appearance: Light yellow with a large head and little to no lacing.

Smell: A hint of wheat and yeast.

Taste: Bland wheat and yeast water.

Mouthfeel: Medium and semi-smooth.

Bottom line:
This is one of the most bland beers I've ever had. It makes Bud Light seem complex. If you've never had a Russian beer, don't start with this one. (351 characters)

1.97/5  rDev -45.6%

Believe it or not, this was my first wheat beer ever. It had two features I noticed that distinguish it from other styles of beer:
1) The flavor was really weird (I can't even compare it to anything else.) I'm not sure if that's unique to this particular brew, or if all wheat beers taste the same way. I'm not sure I want to find out, either.
2) It had a very sticky, clinging texture.

Overall, this was not something I'd want to drink again, but it was interesting having an unfiltered beer. (494 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -37%

Bought in Melbourne, bottle resembles the one in the photo but with a paper collar instead of foil and perhaps a longer neck.

Poured into an Erdinger glass, a large fluffy head formed which broke down reasonably quickly into a thin retained head with lacing. Fairly dark yellow but not amber. A good amount of small bubbles. This is my first beer of the style - I thought this was a Russian take on a Bavarian Hefeweizen but the flavour is different. For a Weizen the appearance is below average.

Smell: Bizarre. I'd like to know what esters/acids are responsible for that whisky malt-like aroma, because as soon as I opened the bottle that smell pervaded the room. It wasn't very appealing since it's 43 degrees in Canberra today and I was after a cool refreshing Weissbier, not a nip of Scotch. On the upside, no adjunct aromas are present, although there is some bubblegum and something smelling a bit like burning plastic bag. If I'd known this brew was going to smell like this I would have served it colder... not a flattering comment.

Taste: Not too offensive, apart from an unpleasant, indefinable aftertaste on the palate. Maybe some lemon, malt and tart, unpleasant yeast notes... Can't elaborate on it too much. I don't know if it's the style I don't like - seeing as though this resembles a Hefe crossed with a bad English wheat ale: merely a bastardised form of one of my favourite styles, or if it's just a mediocre brew. In any case, it's not for a lack of a distinct flavour, just that the flavour is wrong.

The beer seems a little bit flat in the mouth too. As I get down to the bottom of the glass, my mouth isn't happy and it's starting to refuse to swallow. As for drinkability - this deserves an even lower score. I wouldn't drink another one of these if offered, unless under extenuating, extreme-thirst-inducing circumstances.

This brew got worse the more I drank. Probably wouldn't be too bad if drunk really cold. Still, more texture and depth to it than any other Russian beer I've had. (2,027 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -35.6%

Straw coloured, tending to a light greenish. Abundant, creamy, white head.
Weizen smell, quite banana, not unpleasant. Quite sweet, but not too much.
The taste slips away a little, nothing to remember.
No defects, but not really interesting.
Wheta notes, and cloves.
Sweetish aftertaste, average persistence. (313 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -32%

A: Pale and cloudy yellow. A frothy white head forms that recedes fast. Just a touch of lace.
S: A musky fruity smell. I am not impressed at all.
T: Metallic and harsh. A bit of banana, coriander, and some spices.
M/D: Thin, watery, and just blah in the mouth. This is not a hard beer to drink, but whats the point?

A disappointing beer that is thin and week all around. Avoid. (378 characters)

2.54/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #54 (July 2011):

Muddled light amber beige color, with a decent lacing on top. Strong overripe fruit, yeast, wet bread and very faint cheap wine ... not sure where this beer is going, but the nose is way out there. Smooth and creamy with a medium- size body. Some breadiness but the fruitiness takes over; vinous with nearly rotten fruit and an odd warming alcohol. A chore to drink, this beer needs to be cleaned up, as the potential is there. (485 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -29.6%

Large discolored floaties in a beautiful apricot colored body, with large pure white body and pure white head.

Creamy citrus aroma.

Zero aftertaste and barely any fruit flavor. What little there was, was banana, ginger.

Exceedingly thin, harsh husk mouthfeel.

I was very upset when I tried to pass this off on my wife, and she refused. I had to finish the whole one by myself before I could get to my Brooklyn Dark Chocolate Stout. (444 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -28.2%

500ml bottle into a weizen glass.

Pours a hazy brownish-orange with a thick foamy head. Head retention is ok but there is absolutely no lacing at all.

Aroma is fairly straight forward for a hefeweizen. Plenty of banana and cloves along with a pleasant yeasty-ness.

The flavor is where things go a bit awry. It all starts out good with the typical hefe flavors you would expect: banana, clove, and yeast. However these flavors tend to be pretty weak and do not last. The mouthfeel is very watery and not at all full and smooth like I expect a wheat beer to be. The finish is pretty sticky which is kind of odd for a beer lacking mouthfeel.

Overall, a decent attempt but it just doesn't quite come together. (709 characters)

2.64/5  rDev -27.1%

Presentation: 1pint 0.9oz brown bottle poured into my 0.50L-marked tall Paulaner mug.

A - Pours a cloudy pale yellow and, even with a gentle pour, a huge, creamy, dense head of very small bubbles that lasts forever. Not much lacing.

S - Very dry wheaty/grainy smell (reminds me of Heineken, actually...) with lemon and a slight hint of banana hidden waaayyy in the background. No noticeable clove. Not as full of an aroma as I tend to like.

T/M - It tastes like a combination of Heineken and an American hefe. First I get the pleasant wheat flavor with a pleasant yeastiness from the sediment. Then the finish and after taste are very Heineken to me; dry, grainy and sharp. The lemon zest flavor is quite nice. There's an aggressive carbonation of very fine bubbles; champagne-like, but not quite and calms down as you go. Body is pretty typical of a wheat; maybe on the thin side of average.

D - Not entirely unpleasant. Goes down easy, very refreshing. Light, but not too light....but that damned after taste just won't cut it for me. I'm glad I only bought one. If someone offered me one, I'd take it, but not something I'd buy again. Plenty of better Hefes out there. (1,175 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -26.5%

Appearance: bright golden-yellow in color, one inch head, cloudy, high carbonation

Smell: banana, wheat, and clove

Taste: Wheat dominates...There are touches of bananas, clove, and a bit of honey

Mouthfeel: very light bodied, high carbonation, very very sweet

Drinkability: Light and weak for the style. Lately I have had the pleasure of trying complex hefes and this is not one. This is not a bad beer and I would have this again if offered--maybe even down a couple. However, in the style, there are much better. (518 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

550 ml bottle. Pours a golden yellow a large white slowly fading head. Aroma and Taste of wheat, some grassy notes, lightly fruity and slightly barn yard. Palate is a medium body, with moderate carbonation. Finishes with a taste of wheat, grassy notes, light fruity. Basically a fairly boring brew, very non descript. ok for a hot summer day. (342 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -21.8%

It is clear golden straw with good head retention. Looks more like a crystalweizen. It smells of honoey and lemongrass, fairly standard for the style. It is malt dominant with caramel notes. It really doesn't taste like a wheat beer. It feels heavy and slick. It's fairly drinkable but an acrid note in the aftertaste really limits it. OK if you're looking for a one night stand. Not a beer for a lifelong relationship. (419 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -21.8%

baltika #8 wheat

A - brownish tan, murky very big head (hard to control on pour)

S - a little like a german hefe-weizen; it was a little fruity, but nothing overly special.

T - had hints of banana but tasted almost like a mix of a good german hefe-weizen and a cheap pislener. nothing remarkable, a bit bland.

M - tingly with a fairly dry finish

D - Fairly average. If I was served it, I would drink it out of politeness, but I doubt I'll ever purchase this beer again. (474 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -21.5%

Baltika is one of the best value imports I have come across, this is my fourth from their line and two have been great and the other two, including this one have been so-so. Faint aroma of malted wheat with the banana and clove scents. Poured great into my glass, shiny golden yellow-orange with a pillowy white head and good yeast cloudiness. Creamy mouthfeel extremely full. Flavor is decent but not as powerful as I like my hefe's to be. Good beer, highly drinkable, but not close to being near the best. (507 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -21.3%

30 ml bottle apparently dated Feb. 2011. Most sediment added.

Pours with a small whitish head that quickly disappears and leaves no lacing. rather clear amber-copper tone.

Has a very sweet and fruity aroma with a clear suggestion of banana and clove. Beyond these it is also yeasty. These aromas also appear in the taste, including the rather high sweetness, along with allspice, apple juice and wheat.

Light body; crisp with medium carbonation; semi-dry.

O: Clearly appropriate for style but I find this style mostly unappealing. Nonetheless, I did find this to be moderately refreshing and drinkable. (609 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -21.3%

I find it interesting that Baltika has so many different varieties on the shelf and that so many of them are so similar. Variations on a theme. There are exceptions to that, this beer being one. It's definitely un-lagerlike. It looks quite a bit like a hefeweizen except that the yeast sediment came out of the bottle in big floppy sheets instead of fine sediment like a classic hefe. It has a big fluffy white head and hazy orange-gold color like a hefeweizen. The aroma and flavor come off considerably more like an American wheat beer than a German. It's drinkable, sure, but not outstanding. One thing that Baltika has going for it is that it's generally quite a bit cheaper than other .5-liter bottles on the shelves. (722 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -21%

Foil covered top with triple label. Back label quote: "Unfiltered wheat beer contains special yeast which gives it cloudiness and creates a peach taste. This beer is brewed for you." Best before 27.06.05.

Foggy golden straw pour with 2 inch pillowy meringue excellent head retention, but leaves no lace. The second pour contains some suspended stormy scrod chunks.

Suppressed aroma of grainy adjunts under a monster froth.

First swigs: Metallic raw wheat grain. Bland overall with a lingering slightly vegatal leafy lettuce and celery note. Actually reminds me of corn flakes cereal.

Medium bodied and thick for an sdjunct. Soft shush sponge and tawdry single dimension narrows the drinkability factor. Pass on another.

Last swigs: Metallic corn grain. 5% ABV is the good part. Yum yum...yawn. Props for $1.60 at Circle Liquors Ewing, NJ. No more no less.. It's fun to drink Russian beers, otherwise, watch Rocky III for your U.S.S.R. kicks and grab a Bud. Ugh!

Forgetable but not regretable. (1,011 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -20.4%

A: 1 pint bottle. 2 finger head, light lacing, gold color, somewhat

S: heavy strong wheat aroma iwtha touch of sweetness

T/M: served cold light body. tasted fruity, average carbonation. watery, wheat flavor

D: basic standard wheat beer, nothing to write home about (268 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -20.4%

Pours a hazy pale golden yellow color with a huge creamy head that slowly falls to a half inch cap. Smell is pretty straight forward with sweet wheat and spicy clove and banana dominating. The taste is as the smell would indicate though I get a metallic taste which is distracting. The mouthfeel is very nice effervescent and smooth. Body is light.

If it wasn't for the metallic taste I would say that this is a pretty tasty brew. (431 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -20.2%

Got this at the Slavic shop down the road.

From a bottle into a Weizen glass.

APPEARANCE: Pours a big 3+ finger, but thin white head. A lot of carbonation evident; bubbles flying up all over the place. Colour is amber-orange and partially cloudy. Not quite as opaque as others. Head is pretty persistent; levels out to a decent film but disappears and looks flat the last third of the pint. No real lacing to speak of. Definately below par.

SMELL: A decent nose of wheat malt, banana and lemon, and a little bubble gum as well.

TASTE: Some wheat malt and banana undertones, but a strong lemon taste is more prevalent. Quite sweet as well. The aftertaste is mild and lingering, and includes sweet malt and an ever so slight touch of bread and bubble gum. Not bad, but nothing special.

PALATE: Thin body and lighter on the palate. Higher end carbonation, goes down easy smooth and finishes rather dry. Could be a little thicker and have less carbonation for the style.

OVERALL: You wouldn't know it wasn't German by the taste of it. A decent drinkable brew, but not memorable or spectacular. A bit too much carbonation and a little too thin on the palate, but definitely smells and tastes the part for sure. Id have it again, but I wouldn't go out of my way. (1,268 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Great Lenin's ghost! Straight from Mother Russia I finally found a bottleshop that stocks Baltika #8. I had a (non-beer connoisseur) friend describe it as the most banana tasting beer that they had ever tried. Ever. And that was incentive enough for a Weizen-lover like myself to purchase a trio of bottles, perhaps more in future if it lives up to this promise.

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a Weizen glass.

A: Presentation of the body is a hazy gold/yellow, dare I say 'banana' coloured? Yes I went there. With a fairly boisterous foamy white head that soon eases to a half centimetre lace.

S: The aroma is of banana, of course, cloves, bread yeast with a hint of red apple-peel lurking about in the background. It's a very barnyardy Weizen, not that there's anything wrong with that. In fact some of my favourite beers are barnyardy and Weizeny.

T: Flavour is a bit of a let-down. That banana flavour my friend promised tastes a bit like a chemical banana additive like in a Perky Nana, don't get me wrong I like a Perky Nana but it's a bit distracting as a flavour in my beer. The rest of the taste is a struggle between some overt bread yeast and some zesty spice (clove and cardamom are the notable ones).

M: Bit flat for a Weizen, but that could be more to do with my fridge being on the fritz than the brew. Body is a touch watery for a Weizen as well.

D: It's alright, nothing to write home about, yet here I am. If I'm honest the slightly cheaper Schofferhofer is a better Weizen, a staple in my fridge not likely to become usurped by this upstart renegade Russian wheat beer. I actually wish I hadn't bought 3 of these instead of 3 Weihenstephaners (which were on sale cheaper than this), oh well lesson learned.

Food match: I could only just imagine how good a big cold bowl of Borscht and large warm crusty roll would go with this.... Mmmmother Russia. (1,874 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -19.9%

A: 1 pint bottle. 1 finger head, light lacing, sorta cloudy, light yellow in color.

S: Strong sweetness of wheat and honey for smell.

T/M: Light body, water like. Small amount of fruit and honey, medium carbonaito, very full wheat flavor.

D: Standard wheat beer, was way better ice cold, alcohol was well hidden. (316 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -19.3%

Sampled the Baltika Wheat out of a 16.9 oz. bottle poured into a standard pint glass.

Fine white bubbles formed a medium sized head that did not last very long. The beer is a hazy golden color.

There is the prominent banana smell to this beer typical of most European Hefeweizen but not much else stands out.

Banana comes through on the palate and there is a little tropical fruit - possibly papaya evident also. A touch of spice comes through as well.

The finish is smooth but a little watered down for a hefeweizen. Not overly impressed with the #8. (555 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -19.1%

Bottle poured into weizen glass

Three finger head: looks like a weissbier

Smells of cloves, ripe fruit, especially bananas

T: Just alcohol

M: Watery and weak

Overall: I'm glad I tried one of Russia's beers, but frankly I don't ever see myself offering this to anyone for something refreshing. This beer is definitely one that would be better if the taste was more complex and if it felt like an ale not a water.

I'll probably not have this again. (452 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -17.7%

A: Pours a hazy gold with a pillowy white head that gradually recedes into a thin, creamy mousse.

S: Harsh aromas of grain and minerals initially dominate the nose, but after a couple of seconds, aromas of yeast, spices, and banana become noticeable.

T: A sweet, mellow entry presents notes of cream, vanilla, bubblegum, minerals, overripe banana, wheat toast, butter, and clove. There is also a fine, grassy hop backtaste present that is most noticeable around mid-palate. The finish is clipped and mellow with notes of bubblegum and banana.

M: On the lighter side of medium in body and quite smooth. Unfortunately, the carbonation is a bit weak after the entry, rendering this beer thinner and more watery than it should be.

O: As is, this is a mediocre hefeweizen, but it clearly has the potential to be more than that. All of the components are there, but the final product is just a bit too muddled and bland to really be a winner. (940 characters)

Baltika #8 Wheat from Baltika Breweries