Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Baltika #8 Wheat - Baltika Breweries

Baltika #8 WheatBaltika #8 Wheat

good

poor

Baltika Breweries visit their website
Russian Federation

Hefeweizen |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Naerhu on 12-24-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Baltika #8 Wheat Alström Bros
firstprev| 151-175 | 176-200 | 201-225  | next → last
4.13/5  rDev +14.1%

Presentation: Picked up a Bottle of the Baltika #8 during a recent trip to BevMo in Pasadena. I’m used to seeing the #3, #4, #6 and #9 around but I have never sent his one before….a Wheat as well…gotta give this on a whirl me thinks.

A metric sized half-litre (500ml) brown glass bottle, labeled as 16.9 fluid ounces for the US market. Metallic gold, yellow, cream and dark blue label, with a similarly colored foil covered neck, yet unlike other offering the foil does not cover the crown cap. Labeled across the middle of the label as BALTIKA, whilst the English wording states “Unfiltered” and “Wheat Ale” are above and below. Listed at Alc. 5.0% Vol. The back label has a Best Before Date of 04.09.05; I hope that’s a Euro style date.

Appearance: Superb rolling head forms a 3” thick but uniform capped covering which slowly rescinds to a dense 1” head. Solid large bubbled carbonation races around and helps to create a smattered lacing when the brew is swirled. Milky pale yellow body has some residual yeast floaties but not many. Looks supreme in the straight sided Pint glass I have to say especially as it has a long lasting head, really the biz in the looks department.

Nose: Aromas leap out as soon as this is poured. Wheat laded lemons and yeasty bananas with some citric tones. Heavy fruity banana in the nose though, pungent and volatile the odors were discernable some distance from my Glass. Beautiful nose.

Taste: Lovely soft cloves invade the entrance with a big banana hit in the middle. Bold yeasty tastes and wheaty flavors, fruity middle and finish, some lemon acidity in the back end lends a balance to the mushy banana feel that starts and finishes this beer. This is quite the Wheat Ale!!

Mouthfeel: Solid carbonation and a high level fruity body give the mouthfeel a depth of character that defines this Wheat Ale. Above average feel throughout with a creamy texture of mashed bananas that nevertheless benefits from swathes of sharp tangy lemons.

Drinkability: Wow, I literally demolished this bottle in no time. Is this really a Baltika product…probably my first Russian Wheat Ale and I have to say its bloody drinkable stuff. Nicely put together and highly quaffable.

Overall: Damn, this is pretty good stuff…..well worth the investment. A nice surprise and one of the better Baltika products for my money. I would buy this again for sure, in fact I may pick up a few of these next time I’m at BevMo. Recommended. (2,477 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -15.2%

0.5 liter bottle for 50 rubles. Pretty OK as these Russian beers go. Poured from the bottle, I got a thick rocky head that left a little lace as it dwindled. Color is hazy straw. There’s a brisk hefe smell, with some subdued banana that comes back in the, um, belch. Well balanced hop profile. Doesn’t stand up to other hefes, but for $1.67 at a hotel bar, whadaya want? (372 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

this one pours a cloudy yellow color. the head is HUGE but i did pour it vigorously. even after settling, the head lingers a while and leaves a little lacing. would also like to add that they're are a LOT of yeast settlings in this bottle. DEFINITELY swirl this one cause there's a lot.
smells mainly of wheat, hops, and maybe a little corn. lemon might be there as well but it's kinda complex so it's hard to tell.
taste is pretty good. wheat, citrus, and a hint of hops. maybe even a hint of malt in there as well but not too noticeable.
mouthfeel is just about right. not too thick and not too thin and the carbonation level feels just right for the body of the brew.
drinkability is high as well due to the fact that it is smooth, tastes good, and isn't extremely potent. (779 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +12.4%

Thanks to kmpitz2 for this one. Pours a cloudy yellow color with a tall head that has ok retention and leaves a little lacing on the glass. I didn't have high hopes for this one, but it surprised me. The aroma has some spicy notes as well as hints of banana and clove. Very nice. The flavor has all the characteristics of a good hefe - fruits, wheat, spicy yeast. The body could use a little more thickness, but this is a really nice beer overall. (447 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Found this on my most recent trip to Champaign, IL. This pours a hazy testaceous color with a big bellowing 4 finger head that settles very slowly. The aroma is...HOLY SHIT...full of banana and spicey clove and a bit of the wheaty malt as well. What a positive let-down. I was expecting this half-assed american wheat with no character. I would have used a nice erdinger glass had I know this was the real deal. The flavor is a little weak. the banana and clove is there, it just all seems a little waterd down. The feel is much the same, missing the creamy thick texture. Overall, this is a very pleasant surprise for me. The flavors are very nice, the feel is just a bit off, but not bad. This is definately a beer worth checking out. (736 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +13.3%

Very hazy, yellow pour, with a huge fluffy head that soon settled to around a quarter inch. Typical wheat beer odor; pleasant, a little fruity. The flavors seemed to become much more apparent as the beer warmed. Good wheaty flavor at first sip, with the banana element quickly following behind. Very little in the way of aftertaste; this is an extremely drinkable beer! Given the low price and the Russian maker, I wasn't expected such a good hefe. I'd hold this up favorably against most of the Germans. (504 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +11.9%

A brilliant white head tops a cloudy, murky liquid. The color ranges from a light gold to a very deep, burnt amber, while the head, initially mammoth, falls into a sustained 1/3 inch blanket. Nice lacing. There are lots of floaties in this one. Aroma is yeasty, phenolic, and full of banana, clove, and lemon. The smell is right-on, and very appetizing. Lots of carbonation. Relatively bitter, and very clean. Wheat flavors flow throughout. The bottom line: pretty good, maybe one of the best Baltika’s that I’ve had. (519 characters)

Quote from the label: "Unfiltred (sic) wheat beer. Countains (sic) special yeast which gives it cloudness (sic) and creates a reach (sic) head."

Pours a hazy yellow with a blossoming, milk white head.
Nose of banana, clove and vanilla, with backing mineral hardness and sea salt.
Begins with a mushy wheat hull note that straddles the line between dry and sweet. Gains the hefeweizen hallmarks of clove and banana and vanilla. Tiny squeals of lemon rind before yielding to hard water, metallic astringency...but one that is not upsetting or out-of-whack in the least. The triumvirate of banana, clove and vanilla reforms around the swallow.
Medium bodied, creamy and purposefully structured. It's got a bit of an industrial feel to it, but that's part of the allure. This is tons better than I thought it would be.
A solid second-tier hefeweiss. (854 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +2.2%

Pale, straw yellow color, very light haze, massive head, fluffy, snow-white, very long-lasting.
Big aromatics, yeasty, slightly citric, defintite banana, with a gentle hit of clove. Banana cream cookie.
Nice, smooth mouthfeel, briskly dancing on the palate, delivering that banana-y/citric, lightly spicy, easy drinking. Very light in body, with a diminishing finish. Not bad, but not the sort of weizen I'd reach for when I really, really want a weizen. Just a few inches away from being better than merely good. (515 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pours a very nice head, not as long lasting as Bavarian wheats. Beer is a hefe but when in the glass the bee ris not as cloudy as expected. Wheaty aroma, a little lemony. Taste is a little sweet, bubblegum, not really clovey. It was very surprising to find a Russian wheat beer. Very tasty and drinkable. (304 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +13.3%

Nice suprise! As much as I enjoy their porter, I didn't expect too much from the wheat beer. This one leaps out with a fruity, lemony flavor (quite reminiscent of Ayinger). Nice full body and taste. I can't find anything negative to say. I'm going back tomorrow to get some more, as the store where I found this is the only place I've seen it. Try it if you see it, this is a high quality wheat beer. (400 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours out straw yellow with a very thin fizzy white head. Tastes of wheat. Sweet and strong and to the point. This is a nice wheat brew with an excellent kick. Alcohol flavor does come through ever so slightly. One of the best maacro beers I've had from eastern europe. Certainly this is the Baltika beer to seek out. (317 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -4.4%

Russian Hefe... Why the hell not! I've noticed some of the reviews for their other beers and buying this lesser known wheat beer got me thinking twice of buying it, but I really can't complain about this offering. Poured out a honey color with a huge head that took awhile for it to settle down. Smell could have been a little better. It was mostly cloves with nothing else to come out from behind. A little bit of lemon, but that was about it. Taste was decent. Cloves, bananas, wheat and some yeast all come together in this brew. Those bananas seem to last in the aftertaste which was nice to see. Perhaps a little bit too thin, but I think that's from the huge carbonation in this beer. A little too much I thought. But overall not a bad offering at all. Pick up some. (772 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +13.3%

Appearance: Cloudy apricot orange hue with a white creamy head forming that leaves lacing evenly around the glass. Aroma: Banana, clove, and vanilla tones aromatic as all hell light but a standout sharp sweetness makes for a great hefeweizen. Taste: Good mix of yeast deriven esters with banana, clove, and vanilla tones an excellent Russian brewed authentic hefe, very nice. Mouthfeel: Light refreshing semi spritzy somewhat fluffy texture, overall smooth, very smooth. Drinkability: Wow, summer brew from Russia that impresses me whole heartedly, I could definitely go for a few more of these. (595 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

it pours a hazy golden-yellow, the color of half and half (lemonade and iced tea.) And explosive four-plus fingers of soft white head swells then settles slowly to a spongy quilt of froth. Fine fingers of lacing wind around the glass.

The aroma delivers a grassy, grain semi-sweetness, along with a mild lemony perfume. A sour yeast tartness swims nimbly, and vague spice notes carry to the finish.

On first sip, a blunt grainy sweetness quickly slips away, yielding to a spicy blend of coriander and mustard. Light berry notes mingle throught the middle in concert with a buttery trace. A puckery yeast tang fills out the finish. Nothing especially remarkable to start with, the mustardy misstep holds it back a bit.

Just short of medium bodied, it slips and slides, coating fleetingly, and leaving little legacy of its presence.

I wasn't sure what to expect, and I was neither impressed nor disappointed. The acerbic spice profile worked against what would otherwise have been a nicely refreshing experience. And in this case, that flavor faux pas also works directly against making it drinkable. But I don't want to overstate this, because it's not a truly oppressive negative, but rather a noticeable one. Things pretty much cancel out here, leaving a "blah" overall identity. Ask me if I want another, and I might not holler, "Nyet," but the "Da" won't be resounding either. (1,395 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -29.6%

Large discolored floaties in a beautiful apricot colored body, with large pure white body and pure white head.

Creamy citrus aroma.

Zero aftertaste and barely any fruit flavor. What little there was, was banana, ginger.

Exceedingly thin, harsh husk mouthfeel.

I was very upset when I tried to pass this off on my wife, and she refused. I had to finish the whole one by myself before I could get to my Brooklyn Dark Chocolate Stout. (444 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Baltika Wheat 8

Poured a cloudy yellowish with a thick white head that lasted to the last sip.
Smelled of bananas. Not a bad aroma.
Taste was actually very pleasent. Fruity with some spices present. No bitterness and no sharpness on the carbonation.
Mouthfeel was very smooth and went down nicely.

Even though I'm not a fan of Wheat beers Baltika 8 was a good beer that was quite refreshing. The best Wheat beer I've had to date. Worth buying! (452 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +9.1%

This is a fine version of a style I am not fond of. It poured a nice, cloudy gold, thanks to being unfiltered. The head was classic wheat - off white, firm, plenty of contours like clouds as seen from above in an airplane. The smell was fresh and fruity, the mouthfeel plenty prickly from the carbonation. The taste was light and fruity like a good wheat should be. Baltika has done a great job with this style. (411 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +34%

This was my first wheat beer, and it hooked me. I tried it while I was in Russia and was disappointed when I could not find it in the United States. I have not found an equal. The beer had a fairly strong banana smell, quite refreshing. The taste was wonderful (even while room temperature). It went down so smooth I could drink it any day any time. If anyone knows of a place where I can buy it please tell me. (411 characters)

firstprev| 151-175 | 176-200 | 201-225  | next → last