Khlebny Kray - Baltika Breweries

Khlebny KrayKhlebny Kray

Baltika Breweries visit their website
Russian Federation

Kvass |  1.20% ABV

(Beer added by: womencantsail on 06-27-2010)
2.72/5  rDev -5.6%

hhollins11, Sep 26, 2014
3.75/5  rDev +30.2%

Gottesverachter, May 26, 2014
2.96/5  rDev +2.8%

Had this one a bit ago, Poured out as the traditional brown color with a thin white head on top that fades rapidly. The smell of this is of dark fruits and molasses. The taste is primarily the same things as the nose with a touch of bread in there as well. The mouthfeel of this is much like a soda, generously carbonated and thin feeling. Overall it's a pretty standard Kvass, not one that I would have to seek out in the future.

Knapp85, Dec 26, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -47.9%

t0rin0, Dec 08, 2012
3.5/5  rDev +21.5%

msubulldog25, Jul 09, 2012
3.48/5  rDev +20.8%

Poured from the can into a nonic pint glass. Much thanks to WoodyChandler.

Cola looking body, with big pinhead bubbles. Tan honey colored like head disintegrates fast, snapping sounding, looks totally like cola, doesn't even leave a collar.

Nose is a raisiny sweet, but a little dry ripping grain and some ripping cocoa powder. Real interesting. I like it.

Faint bread action, sweet pruney raisin, chocolate comes through, but also very carbonated.

This is quite tasty but it feels too much like soda pop to me. I really do like the nose on this and hint of dry bread.

smakawhat, Feb 24, 2012
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Shared this bottle with JLindros after receiving it in a trade from WoodyChandler. Gotta love Lindros's review. Reviewed from notes.

A - Pour was a dark cola/molasses with a fizzy white soda-esc head that fades to leave nothing.

S - Yikes. Aroma is of sweet raisins and gerbil cage. Almost cloyingly sweet with that earthy hay rank nose.

T - Taste is of raisin bread and sweet malts. Lots of candi molasses. Super sweet.

M - Much lighter and not as syrupy as other kvass beers.

O - Overall, while I really don't know what to make of this style I left my personal taste out of this. This beer IS better than average as far as Kvass goes. I still don't like it, but it is a better one. I'd rather drink any american adjunct over this and I have no idea how people can drink a whole can of this.

rudzud, Feb 08, 2012
2.28/5  rDev -20.8%

Thanks... or maybe I should say no-thanks to Rudzud for this one. I hadn't even heard of this, although faintly familiar with kvass style but not much.

The can thwops open. The beer pouring out is darker than I expected, like a dark molasses coca cola, scratch that, Sam's Choice cola brown syrupy looking almost black beer. The faint looking head... wait... did the head actually exist or not. I can't tell. I blinked and suddenly there was no head. I'm not quite sure if there ever was a fizzy faint head or my mind is playing tricks on me. It could also be hints of lacing left over from the previous beer that I didn't rinse out well enough.

Holy mother of all that is unholy! Nose smells like dog food with a little bit of straw. Seriously dog food, or a crazy gerbil cage ass aroma with dankness. That is actually how it smells. A little bit of straw and bready malt aromas give it more of a dog biscuit like smell, and maybe a hint of dark raisin like fruit. If I had a dog I could imagine feeding this beer to it, and having the dog curl away in horror. As I try to lean in for a sip the horrid stench fills my entire soul and I continue to balk at sipping it. I'm really afraid to sip it. Well, holding my nose and reluctantly (for science) I move in. I wanted to give the smell a negative rating, but BA forces me to give at least a 1.0.

Taste is very sweet, and not as bad as I expected (considering the nose like a goblin). Big time raisin and date smothered in molasses, man is it sweet. Considering it's only 1.2% its like they threw the yeast in to let it carbonate (partially) then the yeast just committed suicide once it had to smell the beer. It's bready, like a slight dark rye bread filled with raisins and molasses of course. Sweetness really takes over with the bread and fruits and I can't really taste anything else. It's almost like Shasta syrup or maybe Dr. Pepper, but just the syrup. Little sticky, light earthy straw like flavor too with hints of dog biscuit and hamster shavings. Can't believe I made it to the finish, finishes pretty sweet still more corn syrup like a light corn stalk chewy chalky almost flavor and sweetness with a gerbil food like flavor, as well as some lingering dark fruits raisin, fig, date, etc.

Mouth is sticky sweet syrupy like a cola syrup gone bad, and no carbonation which doesn't help it's cause as the sticky putrid syrupy coagulate just sits on the tongue, festering like last weeks tooth in cola science experiment gone bad.

Overall... just... I don't even have words to describe it. I wouldn't even call this beer, and I'm not sure how they can get away with it. It's like very partially fermented mash of rye bread, raisins, corn stalk, molasses, gerbil ass, dog biscuit, and the lost souls of Genghis khan and his horse, all blended until fermentation was about to start when the yeast just died of asphyxiation. Although, I would recommend giving it a try, it's at least a step up from Sam Adams Triple Bock.

jlindros, Dec 09, 2011
2.83/5  rDev -1.7%

Acquired via trade from woodychandler so a big “Thank You” goes out to him. Poured from a 500ml can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep reddish brown color, with no head at all and no lace.

S: The aroma contains raisins, honey, wheat, spices and caramelized malts.

T: The taste starts out very sweet with flavors of raisins, caramel, honey and some spices. Then there’s some breadiness from wheat and a hearty but not too heavy malt character. The after-taste is very sweet.

M: Syrupy but a little smooth, medium body, medium-to-high carbonation despite the lack of any head, finish is sticky.

D: A little flavorful, goes down ok, not too filling, extremely mild kick, decent representation of style, it has what you look for in the style but there are other choices in the style that are a bit better.

TheManiacalOne, Oct 24, 2011

My second Kvass. Thanks again to Woody Chandler for hooking me up. I liked this one better than the Ochakovskiy I tried before. Comes in a colorful 16.9 oz can with an ad-on nutritional sticker from the importer in Brooklyn NY.

Poured it into a pint glass. Dark brown, ruby highlights throughout when held to the light. Light tan fizzy head that disappears as fast as the head on a hard poured soda. No lacing

Smell is mild, sweet bready malt. Taste is sweet malt as well with some raisins and prunes added in. Unlike the other Kvass, there is no soda pop/Dr.Pepper flavor. That flavor was a bit annoying. This is a mild, malty drink.

Mouthfeel is less watery than the Ochakovskiy. Absolutely no carbonation after the fizzy head dies down.

A pretty average experience for a beer, but unusual and not a bad thirst quencher.

JayQue, Jul 10, 2011
2.65/5  rDev -8%

Pours A nice ruby brown. Almost no head to speak of. Pretty though. Definitely not a bad looking beer. Smells.... Interesting.awful at first but improves as it warms up. Taste sweet and wonderful. Lots of rye and raisin. Vry thin though. The mouthfeel kind of ruins the beer. Overall... Odd... But not very good

Urbancaver, May 27, 2011
2.38/5  rDev -17.4%

Thanks to WoodyChandler for this ticking treat.

A. Pours very dark with a touch of ruby and no carbonation.

S. Musty. Terrible. My wife described this as laundry that she left in the washer too long.

T. Like a cherry flavored cola.

M. Very thin body.

D. This is pretty terrible. The flavor is much better than I expected from the aroma.

BeerAndBourbon, May 27, 2011
2.5/5  rDev -13.2%

Many thanks to woodychandler for introducing me to the world of Kvass. Poured from a 16.9 oz. can. Has a dark cola like color with no head at all, some carbonation. Smell is of molasses, very sweet. Taste is way to sweet for my liking, lots of molasses, some fruit notes, kind of like the Malta drink sold at the Dominican/Puerto Rican restaurant around the corner from my job, only much sweeter. Feels syrupy in the mouth and I was not impressed overall.

tone77, Mar 30, 2011
3.53/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Baltika's Khlebny Krai (Granary Land)

Khlebny Krai pours a very dark mahogany brown with clear, deep russet brown accents with a ruby cast. The short lived head rises up nicely, displaying a dark tan color. Once the head has receeded little lacing is left behind.

The aroma is subdued for the style, and it expresses soft molasses, bread, and some mild dark-skinned fruits.

The flavor follows suit, and it's surprisingly smooth in character. The maltiness and fruitiness combine, and what you get is like light molasses with raisin and cherry. It's very subtly tart, and not very sticky in the end. It's quite polished, and rather well balanced.

Overall it's a decent enough kvas that's really well made, but I yearn for a little more of the traditional character - flaws and all.

NeroFiddled, Mar 29, 2011
3.2/5  rDev +11.1%

A two-fer: Kvass in a KAN to further both The KANKWest (TM) and the Kvass Kick! Kan you dig it, Kamarad? I'm headed to the Kit Kat Klub after this.

The Crack went off without any issues and the Glug produced a fizzy finger of deep-tan head with limited retention. Wave bye-bye! Color was a deep-reddish brown with ruby or garnet highlights. Beautiful! Nose gave off notes of drying tobacco, prunes and raisin bread. Mouthfeel was fuller than I remember from the bottle and it had an oddly slightly sour taste on the tongue. It was very dried-fruit like in its flavor, think raisins and prunes with an underlying cola flavor, but accompanied by a slight sourness. Wild. Finish was rather dry with a taste like raisin bread that absolutely lingered. There are only three (3) KANned Kvasses, AFAIK, so I will reserve judgment on its Kooler Worthiness until I have tried them all.

woodychandler, Mar 28, 2011

500ml can.

It pours with a fizzy brown/tan head that quickly dissipares with no lacing.

The smell isn't bad. It is chock full of rye bread and raisins, not much else, but it isn't offensive.

The flavor is again, rye bread and raisins, this time with a kick of sugar/caramel. It has a highly carbonated dry/tart mouthfeel.

It is a bit sweet but other than that it is pretty easy to drink.

My first Квас, definitely looking forward to more.

crossovert, Jan 25, 2011
2.5/5  rDev -13.2%

Thrown in as an extra by drabmuh - what a nice guy!

Appearance -- Pours a dark, ruddy amber with essentially no head even after a vigorous pour. One would assume this is a soft drink from a glance.

Smell -- Lots of bready malt with molasses and burnt sugar. Remarkably reminiscent of malta soft drinks. Also, a bit of a wet hay note.

Taste -- Follows the nose: lots of malt sweetness akin to molasses and cola, husky grain, and some spicy notes.

Mouthfeel -- Light in body with faint prickly carbonation akin to cola. Dry, tannic finish.

Drinkability -- This taste a lot like Malta India - a beer-like soft drink that I have mixed feelings about. However, maltas don't wear on the palate like this beverage does. It's reminiscent of sucking out a Coca-Cola spilled on the back deck. Doubt I'll ever seek out another.

yeahnatenelson, Aug 19, 2010
2.3/5  rDev -20.1%

I shared a can of this with drabmuh at my house last Sunday. Thanks Matt! This was one of the coolest, most thoughtful, worst tasting beer gifts I have yet received.

The appearance is brown with a thin head that quickly fades, leaving no lacing. The aroma is sweet malts with sugary caramels. The taste is just overbearing. Ridiculously sweet and instantly cloying, I just couldn't get more than a few ounces down. It was really cool to try a kvass for the first time, but I did not find this beer, or perhaps even this style, to my liking.

Huhzubendah, Jul 28, 2010
2.2/5  rDev -23.6%

Yet another Kvass, they are all about the same. Super sweet and thin and impossible to finish. Sigh.

Beer is brown and clear and forms a thin head of big bubbles that does not leave any lacing on the glass. At the corners its nearly ruby, carbonation is moderate. It looks fine.

The aroma is interesting and probably one of the best things about this beer. Its bready (duh) and sweet with some caramelization in the nose as well. It smells OK.

Beer is thin and super sweet. Difficult to drink. Oddly bitter and jaw hurting. I eventually give up and pour the rest out. Still haven't figured out the appeal.

drabmuh, Jul 27, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +37.2%

Bottled shared at woodshop 5.1

Poured a maroonish brown with a thin head and left very little lacing on the glass. The nose consisted of a variety of grains, slight dark fruits, some sugar sweetness and faint bready notes. The flavors on this brew reminded me of iced tea with grains, prunes, and a sticky malty presence. The beer was medium body with a low amount of carbonation that had a sweet and grainy finish. I honeslty did enjoy this beer and would definitely try to get more beer of this style. Overall it was a decent beer and drank exceptionally well for me and had coming back for seconds since there was plenty of it due to the big liter bottle offering.

Gobzilla, Jul 20, 2010
3.08/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I suppose I should thank Bobby for sharing this one, but I'm not really sure if I can do that...

A: The pour is a nice mahogany color with absolutely no head.

S: I had zero expectations of this coming in, but the nose put me off right away. A strong note of prunes and a noticeable sweetness. A bit of an herbal smell that I pick up with some of these "traditional" beers (ie. Sahti, Gruit).

T: The flavor is quite sweet and cola-like, especially up front. The dark fruit and plenty of sweet prune juice follows. In retrospect, it's more along the lines of Dr. Pepper.

M: The body is semi-syrupy with a low carbonation and medium body.

D: I tried this because I was interested in trying the style, but I do not have any burning desire to try it again. I just was not a huge fan of this one.

womencantsail, Jul 08, 2010