Khlebny Kray - Baltika Breweries

Khlebny KrayKhlebny Kray

Baltika Breweries visit their website
Russian Federation

Kvass |  1.20% ABV

(Beer added by: womencantsail on 06-27-2010)
2.65/5  rDev -8%

Pours A nice ruby brown. Almost no head to speak of. Pretty though. Definitely not a bad looking beer. Smells.... Interesting.awful at first but improves as it warms up. Taste sweet and wonderful. Lots of rye and raisin. Vry thin though. The mouthfeel kind of ruins the beer. Overall... Odd... But not very good

2.38/5  rDev -17.4%

Thanks to WoodyChandler for this ticking treat.

A. Pours very dark with a touch of ruby and no carbonation.

S. Musty. Terrible. My wife described this as laundry that she left in the washer too long.

T. Like a cherry flavored cola.

M. Very thin body.

D. This is pretty terrible. The flavor is much better than I expected from the aroma.

2.5/5  rDev -13.2%

Many thanks to woodychandler for introducing me to the world of Kvass. Poured from a 16.9 oz. can. Has a dark cola like color with no head at all, some carbonation. Smell is of molasses, very sweet. Taste is way to sweet for my liking, lots of molasses, some fruit notes, kind of like the Malta drink sold at the Dominican/Puerto Rican restaurant around the corner from my job, only much sweeter. Feels syrupy in the mouth and I was not impressed overall.

3.53/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Baltika's Khlebny Krai (Granary Land)

Khlebny Krai pours a very dark mahogany brown with clear, deep russet brown accents with a ruby cast. The short lived head rises up nicely, displaying a dark tan color. Once the head has receeded little lacing is left behind.

The aroma is subdued for the style, and it expresses soft molasses, bread, and some mild dark-skinned fruits.

The flavor follows suit, and it's surprisingly smooth in character. The maltiness and fruitiness combine, and what you get is like light molasses with raisin and cherry. It's very subtly tart, and not very sticky in the end. It's quite polished, and rather well balanced.

Overall it's a decent enough kvas that's really well made, but I yearn for a little more of the traditional character - flaws and all.

3.2/5  rDev +11.1%

A two-fer: Kvass in a KAN to further both The KANKWest (TM) and the Kvass Kick! Kan you dig it, Kamarad? I'm headed to the Kit Kat Klub after this.

The Crack went off without any issues and the Glug produced a fizzy finger of deep-tan head with limited retention. Wave bye-bye! Color was a deep-reddish brown with ruby or garnet highlights. Beautiful! Nose gave off notes of drying tobacco, prunes and raisin bread. Mouthfeel was fuller than I remember from the bottle and it had an oddly slightly sour taste on the tongue. It was very dried-fruit like in its flavor, think raisins and prunes with an underlying cola flavor, but accompanied by a slight sourness. Wild. Finish was rather dry with a taste like raisin bread that absolutely lingered. There are only three (3) KANned Kvasses, AFAIK, so I will reserve judgment on its Kooler Worthiness until I have tried them all.

3.08/5  rDev +6.9%

500ml can.

It pours with a fizzy brown/tan head that quickly dissipares with no lacing.

The smell isn't bad. It is chock full of rye bread and raisins, not much else, but it isn't offensive.

The flavor is again, rye bread and raisins, this time with a kick of sugar/caramel. It has a highly carbonated dry/tart mouthfeel.

It is a bit sweet but other than that it is pretty easy to drink.

My first Квас, definitely looking forward to more.

2.5/5  rDev -13.2%

Thrown in as an extra by drabmuh - what a nice guy!

Appearance -- Pours a dark, ruddy amber with essentially no head even after a vigorous pour. One would assume this is a soft drink from a glance.

Smell -- Lots of bready malt with molasses and burnt sugar. Remarkably reminiscent of malta soft drinks. Also, a bit of a wet hay note.

Taste -- Follows the nose: lots of malt sweetness akin to molasses and cola, husky grain, and some spicy notes.

Mouthfeel -- Light in body with faint prickly carbonation akin to cola. Dry, tannic finish.

Drinkability -- This taste a lot like Malta India - a beer-like soft drink that I have mixed feelings about. However, maltas don't wear on the palate like this beverage does. It's reminiscent of sucking out a Coca-Cola spilled on the back deck. Doubt I'll ever seek out another.

2.3/5  rDev -20.1%

I shared a can of this with drabmuh at my house last Sunday. Thanks Matt! This was one of the coolest, most thoughtful, worst tasting beer gifts I have yet received.

The appearance is brown with a thin head that quickly fades, leaving no lacing. The aroma is sweet malts with sugary caramels. The taste is just overbearing. Ridiculously sweet and instantly cloying, I just couldn't get more than a few ounces down. It was really cool to try a kvass for the first time, but I did not find this beer, or perhaps even this style, to my liking.

2.2/5  rDev -23.6%

Yet another Kvass, they are all about the same. Super sweet and thin and impossible to finish. Sigh.

Beer is brown and clear and forms a thin head of big bubbles that does not leave any lacing on the glass. At the corners its nearly ruby, carbonation is moderate. It looks fine.

The aroma is interesting and probably one of the best things about this beer. Its bready (duh) and sweet with some caramelization in the nose as well. It smells OK.

Beer is thin and super sweet. Difficult to drink. Oddly bitter and jaw hurting. I eventually give up and pour the rest out. Still haven't figured out the appeal.

3.95/5  rDev +37.2%

Bottled shared at woodshop 5.1

Poured a maroonish brown with a thin head and left very little lacing on the glass. The nose consisted of a variety of grains, slight dark fruits, some sugar sweetness and faint bready notes. The flavors on this brew reminded me of iced tea with grains, prunes, and a sticky malty presence. The beer was medium body with a low amount of carbonation that had a sweet and grainy finish. I honeslty did enjoy this beer and would definitely try to get more beer of this style. Overall it was a decent beer and drank exceptionally well for me and had coming back for seconds since there was plenty of it due to the big liter bottle offering.

3.08/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I suppose I should thank Bobby for sharing this one, but I'm not really sure if I can do that...

A: The pour is a nice mahogany color with absolutely no head.

S: I had zero expectations of this coming in, but the nose put me off right away. A strong note of prunes and a noticeable sweetness. A bit of an herbal smell that I pick up with some of these "traditional" beers (ie. Sahti, Gruit).

T: The flavor is quite sweet and cola-like, especially up front. The dark fruit and plenty of sweet prune juice follows. In retrospect, it's more along the lines of Dr. Pepper.

M: The body is semi-syrupy with a low carbonation and medium body.

D: I tried this because I was interested in trying the style, but I do not have any burning desire to try it again. I just was not a huge fan of this one.

Khlebny Kray from Baltika Breweries