1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Khlebny Kray - Baltika Breweries

Khlebny KrayKhlebny Kray

Baltika Breweries visit their website
Russian Federation

Kvass |  1.20% ABV

(Beer added by: womencantsail on 06-27-2010)
View: Beers (37) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 19 | Reviews: 17 | Show All Ratings:
woodychandler

3.2/5  rDev +12.7%

A two-fer: Kvass in a KAN to further both The KANKWest (TM) and the Kvass Kick! Kan you dig it, Kamarad? I'm headed to the Kit Kat Klub after this.

The Crack went off without any issues and the Glug produced a fizzy finger of deep-tan head with limited retention. Wave bye-bye! Color was a deep-reddish brown with ruby or garnet highlights. Beautiful! Nose gave off notes of drying tobacco, prunes and raisin bread. Mouthfeel was fuller than I remember from the bottle and it had an oddly slightly sour taste on the tongue. It was very dried-fruit like in its flavor, think raisins and prunes with an underlying cola flavor, but accompanied by a slight sourness. Wild. Finish was rather dry with a taste like raisin bread that absolutely lingered. There are only three (3) KANned Kvasses, AFAIK, so I will reserve judgment on its Kooler Worthiness until I have tried them all.

03-27-2011 23:13:37 | More by woodychandler
crossovert

3.08/5  rDev +8.5%

500ml can.

It pours with a fizzy brown/tan head that quickly dissipares with no lacing.

The smell isn't bad. It is chock full of rye bread and raisins, not much else, but it isn't offensive.

The flavor is again, rye bread and raisins, this time with a kick of sugar/caramel. It has a highly carbonated dry/tart mouthfeel.

It is a bit sweet but other than that it is pretty easy to drink.

My first Квас, definitely looking forward to more.

01-25-2011 20:31:47 | More by crossovert
yeahnatenelson

2.5/5  rDev -12%

Thrown in as an extra by drabmuh - what a nice guy!

Appearance -- Pours a dark, ruddy amber with essentially no head even after a vigorous pour. One would assume this is a soft drink from a glance.

Smell -- Lots of bready malt with molasses and burnt sugar. Remarkably reminiscent of malta soft drinks. Also, a bit of a wet hay note.

Taste -- Follows the nose: lots of malt sweetness akin to molasses and cola, husky grain, and some spicy notes.

Mouthfeel -- Light in body with faint prickly carbonation akin to cola. Dry, tannic finish.

Drinkability -- This taste a lot like Malta India - a beer-like soft drink that I have mixed feelings about. However, maltas don't wear on the palate like this beverage does. It's reminiscent of sucking out a Coca-Cola spilled on the back deck. Doubt I'll ever seek out another.

08-19-2010 01:29:46 | More by yeahnatenelson
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

2.3/5  rDev -19%

I shared a can of this with drabmuh at my house last Sunday. Thanks Matt! This was one of the coolest, most thoughtful, worst tasting beer gifts I have yet received.

The appearance is brown with a thin head that quickly fades, leaving no lacing. The aroma is sweet malts with sugary caramels. The taste is just overbearing. Ridiculously sweet and instantly cloying, I just couldn't get more than a few ounces down. It was really cool to try a kvass for the first time, but I did not find this beer, or perhaps even this style, to my liking.

07-28-2010 17:24:23 | More by Huhzubendah
drabmuh

Maryland

2.2/5  rDev -22.5%

Yet another Kvass, they are all about the same. Super sweet and thin and impossible to finish. Sigh.

Beer is brown and clear and forms a thin head of big bubbles that does not leave any lacing on the glass. At the corners its nearly ruby, carbonation is moderate. It looks fine.

The aroma is interesting and probably one of the best things about this beer. Its bready (duh) and sweet with some caramelization in the nose as well. It smells OK.

Beer is thin and super sweet. Difficult to drink. Oddly bitter and jaw hurting. I eventually give up and pour the rest out. Still haven't figured out the appeal.

07-27-2010 15:34:27 | More by drabmuh
Gobzilla

3.95/5  rDev +39.1%

Bottled shared at woodshop 5.1

Poured a maroonish brown with a thin head and left very little lacing on the glass. The nose consisted of a variety of grains, slight dark fruits, some sugar sweetness and faint bready notes. The flavors on this brew reminded me of iced tea with grains, prunes, and a sticky malty presence. The beer was medium body with a low amount of carbonation that had a sweet and grainy finish. I honeslty did enjoy this beer and would definitely try to get more beer of this style. Overall it was a decent beer and drank exceptionally well for me and had coming back for seconds since there was plenty of it due to the big liter bottle offering.

07-20-2010 17:18:50 | More by Gobzilla
womencantsail

3.08/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I suppose I should thank Bobby for sharing this one, but I'm not really sure if I can do that...

A: The pour is a nice mahogany color with absolutely no head.

S: I had zero expectations of this coming in, but the nose put me off right away. A strong note of prunes and a noticeable sweetness. A bit of an herbal smell that I pick up with some of these "traditional" beers (ie. Sahti, Gruit).

T: The flavor is quite sweet and cola-like, especially up front. The dark fruit and plenty of sweet prune juice follows. In retrospect, it's more along the lines of Dr. Pepper.

M: The body is semi-syrupy with a low carbonation and medium body.

D: I tried this because I was interested in trying the style, but I do not have any burning desire to try it again. I just was not a huge fan of this one.

07-08-2010 16:21:23 | More by womencantsail