Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Dominion Oak Barrel Stout - Old Dominion Brewing Company

Dominion Oak Barrel StoutDominion Oak Barrel Stout

Old Dominion Brewing Company visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Stout |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-12-2001

We use smoked and peated malts to create an intricate malt foundation. Our method of dry hopping with vanilla beans and oak chips pushes the depth of this stout’s flavor spectrum even further.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dominion Oak Barrel Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 678 | Hads: 1,417
2.98/5  rDev -24%

Dark colour, good smell to chocolate and some vanilla but not very strong, light bodied, light carbonation, and average stout, it's ok but I have tried better ones. Maybe I was expecting something more after reading the reviews, I don't think I'll have it again.

4.38/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Oliver Twist!

Pours a ver, very dark beer thats almost black with some red edges. There is a finger thick foam that rappidly dissipates and leaves a cobweb of lacing on top, nice!

Smell is fruity, vanilla, grapes and some tones of wine. There is perhaps some chocolate and burned barley or coffee in there aswell.

Taste is smooth, nice and wonderful. Really smooth like velvet and starts with chocolate together with vanilla and a bourboun like taste. Then comes fruits like cherries and grapes, wine hits you and in the end there is a nice sweetness clinging on together with vanilla, a small bitterness and a oaky dry chocolate finish.

This beer is just damn smoot, like velvet and like candy. Really drinkable, really delicious, sadly not my favourite stout-type though ;(

3.37/5  rDev -14%

Pours a black with a pretty big tan head that leaves pretty good lacing. The nose is of roasted malt, sweet vanilla, and coffee. The taste is strong of vanilla, with a healthy dose of coffee and some roasted malt. Its a little to sweet for me, and not one of the best stouts ive had, but an alright beer and definitely worth trying. Nice creamy mouthfeel but not extremely drinkable.

4.3/5  rDev +9.7%

Poured a dark brown/black color with a nice one inch tan head, didn't last long but nice. Good lacing.

Smells great with roasted malts dominating. Dark fruits, toffee, and cocoa. Maybe a little coffee but none of the oak that I was expecting.

Taste is smooth with the roasted malts coming in first, then the fig/cocoa/choc/coffee coming in a smooth blended wave. Nice American stout but I still get none of the oak. I do get a little of the vanilla flavor towards the finish.

Mouthfeel is a little heavy for an American stout but I like them a little heavy.

Overall I would recommend this one. Bottled 02-17-11 and was amazingly smooth. Tasted as if it had some age on it. Complex and smoooth.

3.88/5  rDev -1%

Poured from the brown glass 12 oz. bottle into my straight sided pint glass tumbler. Very dark color as well as dark head. Label indicates beer is dry hopped with added vanilla bean flavor. Neither are apparent in the nose. Roast malt dominates the flavor, without much obvious hop balance. A good stout if not a great one. Mouthfeel is good and the drinkability is better than some more interesting stouts.

just a thought,

3.83/5  rDev -2.3%

picked up a six of this on a whim... glad i did.

a - chestnut brown under obsidian black with a rocky head that dissipates into a thin lacing. with a few swirls, the head bounces back and dissipates back into the thin lacing. could be from the oils in the vanilla. quality.

s - medium to light roast dominates then fades to a resinous oak and mellow vanilla. aroma reminds me of lightly roasted coffee beans, vanilla sugar and fresh cut wood. none of which dominates and allows for a well balanced aroma. beings that this is a stout, i would hope for a bit more roast in the aroma... note that there is sufficient roast but on the lower end of the style.

t - the aromas come alive the in flavor as lightly roasted coffee mingles a slight sweetness of vanilla and confectioners sugar with a hearty helping of resinous oak. each flavor evokes balance and makes for a perfect seasonal brew.

m - a bit on the dry side with very mild carbonation. this beer could benefit from the presence of more dextrins but isn't far off from where it is. there is no astringency and no harsh or overbearing flavors.

d - this is a great craft beer to keep around for the holidays. this beer emits balance but progressive craft flavors in a well crafted way. this is an extremely drinkable brew for craft aficionados and newbees alike. highly recommended.

2.87/5  rDev -26.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

In high hopes for this beer died as soon as I poured it. The head was almost non-existent, had almost no aroma, and tasted very gland in general. Got better as it warmed up, but not at all the beer that it surely would like to be. I didn't detect even the slightest hint of the vanilla beans that were mentioned, and that was possibly the most interesting part of the description.

4.2/5  rDev +7.1%

On tap at Smokin' Joe's in the Soutside of Pittsburgh.

Poured a nice dark color with thick creamy browish head that lasted to the very end. The smell was of vanilla, roasted malts, and some caramel. The taste was supurb. A wonderfuld blending of vanilla and woody flavors from the oak fade into a nice malty balance near the end. The mouthfeel was thick and creamy, just the way I like 'em! I would have to say that this is very drinkable. I enjoyed several that night. Very good beer.

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%

wow, wasnt sure what to expect with this one but it had a nice dark pour with littl froth that stick to the glass, smell?, taste slight bitter aftertaste, feel nice and smooth

4.73/5  rDev +20.7%

My new favorite beer. This is an awesome brew and absolutely MUST be tried.

Appearance - Pours out a black body with a delicious loking tan head. Looks aren't everything, so I was, of course, cynical, but it does look beautiful.

Smell - A wonderful mix of nuts, chocolate, grains, and just plain beer goodness.

Taste - Incredible. Nutty, chocolaty, grainy, sweet, but not overly. An explosion of a stout that completely blew me away. I am a stout lover, but this one really broke the mold and shines through.

Mouthfeel - Just like any micro stout...smooth as a baby's ass.

Drinkability - I can say this is one beer that makes me drop anchor. I was trying to order something different every beer and had to keep ordering these. An excellent beer to drink for an evening.

Overall - Get this beer. It's truly a testament to stouts.

2.28/5  rDev -41.8%

I picked up a six pack of this while I was down in Washington D.C. for a trip a few weeks back. I had a couple while I was there, and brought a couple with me to review later on. Honestly I'm not quite sure why I brought it with me, because I'm really not impressed with this beer.

Coloring is black as a stout should be with a less than vigorous head. Sort of wispy and light. While the coloring is right, there's a creamy, smooth visual character that good stouts have - such that you see it's more viscous and thick than normal beers. This does not have that. It appears more watery.

There's something weird with the smell. Possibly this is the oak aging and the vanilla so touted on the bottle, but it sort of smells like the underside of a pier, if you ask me. There's a salt-water sort of funk underlying. Notes of molasses and smoke in there, but the other thing really comes on strong. Almost like too many smells got locked in a room and one of them stabbed the other - a week ago.

The taste is again too much with too many and none of them are all that good. Initially I taste "vanilla" (tm), which is closely followed by a somewhat acrid wood character. That funky smell is there in the taste too, but not as much. I find myself wanting hold my nose when I taste it - that is generally not a good thing. The surprising characteristic, though, is how hollow the taste is. There are big initial notes that pop up and then disappear, leaving very little middle to provide continuity. Lacks balance.

Watery mouthfeel - A stout should have a certain viscous bigness.

I did not like this beer.

3.23/5  rDev -17.6%

Got this as an eztra

12oz bottle poured into a firestone walker teku glass.

A- pours a tobacco brown and rests a rich black. Pours with a frothy just off white head that sticks around and fades into some lively lacing.

S-Nothing much going on with the nose. A faint touch of vanilla bean and a hair of cold coffee. Like I said pretty dull. Nothing jumps out at you

T- light roasted chocolate malts, rich vanilla.

M- light body, strong carbonation, light finish

O- Decent beer. I felt like it was missing a lot. It claims to be oak barrel aged and then they say they use oak chips. I couldn't find either of those in this beer. The vanilla stands out nicely though. Crisp clean lighter styled stout.

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

P: 12oz bottle into a DFH signature glass.

A: Black as can be with a nearly two finger dark tan head that doesn't hang around very long. Lacing is sparse but it sticks.

S: Dark roasted malt with some vanilla, caramel and wood. Very pleasing.

T: This beer has a lot more going on than the smell would lead you to believe. Lots of roasted malt with an awesome vanilla finish. Some wood or earthy tones and I'm getting some bourbon/whiskey although I thought it might be more pronouced. There seems to be a hint of smokiness in here as well. A bitter finish accented with the vanilla makes me want to take another sip. The vanilla comes through even more as the beer warms, I recommend letting this one sit out for a good 10 or 15 minutes before serving.

M: Smooth with lots of tiny bubbles in the carbonation which adds a refreshing quality to the beer. Not as heavy as some stouts can be but it still has some body. The body, like the vanilla, seems to become more pronounced as the beer warms.

D: A very drinkable and complex stout. Maybe it's the small distribution from Old Dominion but this is a beer that I would expect more people to be talking about, it's among the best stouts I've ever tasted. It's an easy beer to enjoy any time of the year.

2.73/5  rDev -30.4%

A friend of mine served me a bottle of this brew this afternoon. I must say that I was not impressed.

The beer pour from the chilled bottle like cold coffee, with a similiar smell. The tall dark airy head that formed quickly went away.

The aroma was of chocolate and coffee with a hint of alcohol.

The first sip ws mainly coffee with a hint of chocolate -- and a very slight tint of alcohol. All remaining sips followed suit.

Mouthfeel was not impressive. I was expecting a more creamy feeling beer with a slight carbonation. Neither was present, unfortunately. I may as well have had coffee flavored tap water swishing around.

Oh, well. Nothing tasted, nothing tasted.

I would not recommend this beer.

2.61/5  rDev -33.4%

a - dark black, not the blackest of black though. Whispy head, beige.

s - Malty stout, not overwhelming. It's cold. Not much vanilla but we'll see. Some coffee.

t - Light, agressive mouthfeel, harsh flavors. Thin, not creamy or chewy. Low FG I think. Dissappointing. No oak flavors, not much of any flavors. If I gulp it I can get past some CO2 to taste a hint of vanilla. Overall, thin.

m - agressive carbonation and thin body = selzer-like afterfeel.

d - I didn't like it enough to reach for another. It's like the second runnings of a beer I want to try.

I don't understand how this can get an A-. I'm wondering if I got a bad bottle somehow, too much CO2, overattenuated? I have a six pack, if I try again and it's different I'll update.

4.18/5  rDev +6.6%

From a growler, Dominion Oak Barrel Stout pours with minimal dark brown foam into a pint glass. The foam is rather coarse and sticks to the sides of the glass. Based on appearance alone, this looks to be a bold brew.

Bourbon (with its characteristic sensation of alcohol) and coffee dominate the nose. Bringing the aroma through to the mouth heightens the alcohol’s presence.

Like the nose, the first sip is almost all bourbon and coffee. Roasted malts come to play as the beer warms. As the beer warms toward the finish, this stout tastes more like a liquor/beer mixture than a pure beer. It’s unusual but pleasing.

This is a very fine beer. While I have difficulty treating it like a pure stout (it tastes more like an imperial stout, and given the aging process it would be better classified as a hybrid), I would recommend it to anyone who wants to try something quite unique.

4.05/5  rDev +3.3%

A- Pours a very very dark color that is very inviting. One finger very thick off white head that clings finely to the glass.

S- You can smell the vanilla immediately from the glass. Underneath there is a finer burnt smell with some chocolate.

T- The initial taste is one of the burnt charcoaly flavor and that is subdued by the vanilla at the end of the taste. Very good and pleasant taste. Goes well with food and alone.

MF- Very smooth beer, easy to drink,the malts float out of the taste. Little carbonation with a pleasant aftertaste of vanilla

D- Easy to drink for a stout. It is much better to drink slowly and enjoy. I would only drink 2 at the very most at once.

4.51/5  rDev +15.1%

This pours the perfect black with a hint of ruby around the edges. The smell is of burnt grain with a touch of vanilla and oak. The taste is of roasted grain with an oak taste dominating in the middle, and a nice vanilla mixed with a mild burnt taste in the finish.
This is my favorite stout, and is very drinkable and complex. A work of art.

3.97/5  rDev +1.3%

Thin, tan head, very dark brown with some ruby highlights at the bottom of the glass.

Aroma of roastiness and some hints of sweet chocolate - no hops. Taste is quite enjoyable - I think that is where I'm getting a bit of the oak character, the roastiness is obviously present with perhaps some toastiness, and a bit more sweetness than I expected - a pleasant surprise. A hint of hops balances the brew pretty well, but this is a malt-dominated ale.

Nice, creamy mouthfeel, full-bodied, but not overly heavy.

Overall - very drinkable, especially for stout lovers. Not extreme, not super hoppy, not over-the-top, but an enjoyable brew - I'd have another if made available again.

3.51/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A pretty solid Irish Stout. Pours dark as night with a thin head that dissipated quickly. The nose gives off vanilla, roasted malt, and a hint of coffee. Tasted solid, but not spectacular. Leaves a little to be desired in the mouth, almost slightly undercarbonated even for the style.

Overall a very drinkable Stout with some interesting flavors that make this a worthwhile try.

4.67/5  rDev +19.1%

Looks like a stout, very dark brown with brown characteristic stout head.

A little lactic on the nose, with some cocoa, roasty malts, and vanilla

Roasted almond and macadamia nut with a deep chalky chocolate flavor. Many different levels of dark and bitter chocolate flavors in this one. Oak flavor comes through and adds to the extremely rich and creamy texture of this beer. Curious notes of vanilla in the background. This beer is truly a masterpiece. Humbling. This beer retains a softness to it and has no flavors that would prevent me from drinking it often and in succession. It also shows how a big ABV is not needed to make an exceptional beer. The subtleties in this beer are exceptional and perhaps may not be detectable with more alcohol.

One for the ages, I am blown away.

3.58/5  rDev -8.7%

A - Nice coffee black look with a soft tan head.

S - Coffee, chocolate, vanilla. Not the strongest aromas that I've ever experienced.

T - Again, the coffee, chocholate and vanilla stand out. I was a bit let down by the lack of oakiness. It is there, but not as strong as I was anticipating.

M - Soft and smooth. Lightly carbonated.

D - I can do a bunch of these. The flavors meld together well and one doesn't overpower the other. The lighter ABV allows you to have a few. Could use a bit more oak flavor but I'd still go for this one again.

4.09/5  rDev +4.3%

12oz bottle poured in a glass. Note; The ABV on my bottle (dated 11-25-14) is listed at 6.% not the 5.50% listing for this beer

Pours a creamy one inch head (that goes away rather quickly) over a very dark coffee color.
The head forms in an slightly "guinness" sort of way (that entertaining little dance of tan carbonation as the head builds) Decent lacing... Can't say enough about the look of this stout! Had to give it a 5 ...

Smell; Coffee... and vanilla.... a hint of oak

Taste; Toffee, Toffee, Toffee ! It's the vanilla over oak that gives it a toffee sort of taste ... Like a Heath Bar with hops !!

Feel was good but maybe a bit over carbonated for my taste

Overall: A very enjoyable stout...Wish the beer of the month club had sent more of this one !

3.9/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Black and opaque with rich lingering dark tan head. Looks like a real brew.

S: Smells like sweet roasted coffee.

T: Tasty but perhaps a little conservative. Roasted malty sweetness, some vanilla, and a clear finish. Flavorful, but not intense or exceptional.

M: Rich and creamy, with low carbonation. Rolls around thickly in the mouth.

D: For a dark, tasty stout, this is very drinkable. This, of course, comes at a cost of flavor. A decent, but mild rendition.

3.13/5  rDev -20.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a snifter.

A: Really dark, still-looking, with little bubbling and no capping. A rich brown. Aeration gives a very temporary coffee-colored head.

S: Oak, vanilla, light coffee are all present. Slight roasty aromas linger about without asserting themselves overmuch.

T: Hershey's Dark Chocolate and vanilla extract. Oaky flavors are not as present as I expected. Roastiness reigns around the middle, as much as anything can dominate in this very mild beer. Coffee/espresso visits briefly, then leaves. Interesting flavors, but light, and not in an oak-aged way. Given that it was only oak chips that were used rather than aging in a oak barrel, I wonder if the lightness and mellowness is supposed to convey a faux-aged sensibility.

M: Mild, almost weak or watery. Does not have stout presence at all; feels like flat cola, if anything. Really a disappointment from a local brewery.

D: One of the only stouts I could describe as light and refreshing. You could easily drink this in summer--in fact, better than in winter. Not so much stout, as slightly husky.

Dominion Oak Barrel Stout from Old Dominion Brewing Company