Dominion Oak Barrel Stout - Old Dominion Brewing Company

Dominion Oak Barrel StoutDominion Oak Barrel Stout

Old Dominion Brewing Company visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Stout |  6.10% ABV

We use smoked and peated malts to create an intricate malt foundation. Our method of dry hopping with vanilla beans and oak chips pushes the depth of this stout’s flavor spectrum even further.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dominion Oak Barrel Stout Alström Bros
4.47/5  rDev +13.7%

I was surprised to see this on the menu at Summits in Sandy Springs. Personally, I really love the oak/bourbon style of stouts. The aroma was very oaky, but not overpowering. Thhis was very easy to drink; very creamy with minimal carbonation. I hope that I can find some of this in a bottle. I could drink a lot of these on a cold winter day.

doubleipa, Feb 13, 2006
4.7/5  rDev +19.6%

This is a good beer in bottled form, but exceptional on-tap.
Appeared an opaque, viscous black color with a soft, tan colored head that didn't remain but left behind some nice lacing. Aromas of wood, alcohol, vanilla, and roasted sugar seemed to come out very nicely. The taste was just an explosion of sweetness with a roasted/smoky character upfront and a honey & vanilla finish. The flavors of this beer on-tap are much more prominent and aggressive than in the bottled verison which is much much more subtle and gentle. The dominating flavors work very well together and generate a lingering sweetness that feels more like root beer or an ice cream float than a stout. I felt my tongue coated after every sip with an almost bready/chewy texture. So rich and so smooth I could have this all day, though eventually the sweetness might rot my teeth.

jaluria, Feb 06, 2006
3.08/5  rDev -21.6%

The Dominion Oak Barrel Stout, fermented with vanilla beans and oak chips, pours from the longneck bottle a nice deep, dark black with a small tan head that falls to a ring around the glass. Aromas of big vanilla upfront alongside a roasty, somewhat lactic chocolate. Some bitter coffee works into the mix and I can get hints of the oak as I inhale as well. However, it all seems to collide on the way to my nose.

First sip brings a dark roasted malt upfront with hints of cocoa and mellow coffee tones. The blast of vanilla flavor isn't far behind and works its way across the length of the palate. I get a bit of sour lactic twang halfway through each sip. Subtle woodiness is there but it's more of an afterthought in the brew. The vanilla gets to be a bit overwhelming for me.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a spritzy carbonation. It's a little thinner than I'd like for a stout, but still manages to carry itself well. Unfortunately, this really doesn't stand up against true barrel aged stouts. It's a bit muddled and somewhere along the line the flavors just don't do it for me. Check it out for yourself, as your mileage may vary.

Music: Luomo - Tessio (Moonbootica Radio Edit)

orbitalr0x, Feb 05, 2006
3.95/5  rDev +0.5%

La Cave Du Vin in Cleveland had this on tap this week. I tried a small glass.

Looked like a run-of-the-mill stout (dark brown-to-black color, thin beige head, etc). But the flavors were a little more original. The biggest surprise to me was the vanilla bean flavor. I think this could have been improved by being made less thin and watery though.

Not bad, but not great. Just different.

TurdFurgison, Jan 28, 2006
3.93/5  rDev 0%

12 Oz bottle Sampled through the efforts of Boxing Day BIF and Pentathlete. Bottling Date 10/28/05.

Pours a deep brown colored beer with a fast fading tan head.

Smell is sweet with an aroma of chocolate and nuts laced with a bit of coffee. There is a rather sharp scent of acid from the dark roasted malt used. Strong roasted coffee scent here that is very pleasant.

Taste is sweet and smoky at the start. Fairly neutral background flavor that accentuates the chocolate, smoke and coffee. The acid level works well here to brighten the coffee flavors like a medium roasted Kona coffee.

Mouthfeel is OK, but not that good.

Pleasant and tasty stout with a very moderate alcohol level. As close to a session beer as stouts ever really get.

Zorro, Jan 12, 2006
3.63/5  rDev -7.6%

Very dark brown with a short, medium tan head. Quickly reduced to a ring and left a bit of spotty lace behind. Lots of malt and chocolate covered cherries in the aroma. Mild roast and vanilla. Same malt character in the flavour, but with chocolate in front. Slightly acidic with muted cherry and weak vanilla. There's a bit of woodiness in the finish. Soft carbonation and silky texture with some lingering dryness. Medium bodied. Solid beer, but I think I was expecting more from the advertised vanilla and oak. Thanks northyorksammy!

DrJay, Jan 12, 2006
4.28/5  rDev +8.9%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer pours a dark black opaque body with a thin fizzy head of tan bubbles that doesn't last through the pour.

S- The smell of smoky wet oak and vanilla is a nice compliment to the slightly sweet graham cracker and dark roasted malts.

T- This beer has a nice deep dark malt flavor with some notes of crystal malt and black patent also. This is enhanced by a nice oak flavor with a hint of smoke and faint vanilla notes. The finish has a slight oatmeal tangy to it. As this beer warms there are some notes of fresh coffee in the malt.

M- This beer has a medium-full mouthfeel with some slipperiness in the texture.

D- This beer has a nice character with a good quality stout that is enhanced by the wood and vanilla. They are not to strong and not to soft. Very nice beer.

rhoadsrage, Jan 04, 2006
3.93/5  rDev 0%

Thanks to lostbearbrew for this one...
Almost black in color with no light passing thru...a half a finger of tan colored head which disappears within minutes.
No real lacing to speak of.
Pleasant in the nose...vanilla, butterscotch, chocolate and a definite oak/woody character.
Taste is real nice once it hits right around room temperature...more vanilla with a hint of robust coffee, almonds and an overall, well-balanced malt to hop experience.
Mouthfeel is a tad thin, but the carbonation is where I enjoy it and it is easily consumed with a fairly low abv (for me)...would love to try this one on cask, as the oak age flavors are nice but would really shine as a real ale IMO.

warriorsoul, Dec 28, 2005
3.03/5  rDev -22.9%

(Sure looked like a nitro pour, not 100% sure).

Appearance: what can you say about a stout? The beer is black, the head is tan and sticks around a while.

Aroma: dominated by oaky sweetness... rum or bourbon? Definitely one or the other.

Taste: again overwhelmed by oak and sugar, now I'm willing to commit to calling it rum. In fact now that it occurred to me, I'm having trouble tasting anything but rum. Sure there's some roast flavor somewhere in there, but it's taking a back seat to the oak flavor for sure.

Mouthfeel: Definitely full-bodied and creamy like a nitro stout should be. tha'ts nice at least.

Overall, it was hard to score this stout because the middle scores imply "average," which this wasn't. But the rummy oak flavor kind of clobbered everything else, and I couldn't really give it many more points on that account.

PeatReek, Dec 27, 2005
4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

My roommate just asked why I was so chipper. A better question would have been, what's not to be chipper about? The sun is shining (at least where I am), it's a beautiful day, delicious food is plentiful, we have our health, the world keeps turning, a wide variety of music is available for our listening enjoyment, and we have friends and family who we love to keep us company!

Also, I'm enjoying an Old Dominion Oak Barrel Stout!

Appearance: Dark black body with a ruby undertone (if you look closely) topped with a solid, tan head.

Smell: The vanilla is easily perceptible in the nose, but there's also plenty of roastiness to be found as well. The scent of bourbon is present, but definitely has a lightly sweet-smelling, smokey quality to it.

Taste: "You see, it's all very clear to me now. The whole thing. It's wonderful." An earthy roasted malt flavor balanced with a modest amount of sweetness. Hop flavor is elusive, but provides a slight bitterness. The vanilla, originally so full of promise and potential in the smell isn't really detectable for me in the taste. Same it true for the bourbon. Pity.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body with a generous amount of carbonation keeps the beer feeling light in the mouth and altogether smooth. There's a persisting chariness in the finish.

Drinkability: Considerably smooth and pleasantly flavorful. I'd have preferred a substantial body, but overall it's a pretty good beer.

Again, I ask you... what is NOT to be chipper about?!

ChainGangGuy, Dec 17, 2005
4.47/5  rDev +13.7%

Dark brown bordering on black liquid. A rocky tannish head.

Coffee, vanilla, and chocolate in the nose.

Vanilla coffee taste. Just sweet enough to get you ready for the next sip.

Mouthfeel is silky.

A delicious brew that I will drink again. It could even be a session brew.

ggroller, Dec 12, 2005
2.25/5  rDev -42.7%

I picked up a six pack of this while I was down in Washington D.C. for a trip a few weeks back. I had a couple while I was there, and brought a couple with me to review later on. Honestly I'm not quite sure why I brought it with me, because I'm really not impressed with this beer.

Coloring is black as a stout should be with a less than vigorous head. Sort of wispy and light. While the coloring is right, there's a creamy, smooth visual character that good stouts have - such that you see it's more viscous and thick than normal beers. This does not have that. It appears more watery.

There's something weird with the smell. Possibly this is the oak aging and the vanilla so touted on the bottle, but it sort of smells like the underside of a pier, if you ask me. There's a salt-water sort of funk underlying. Notes of molasses and smoke in there, but the other thing really comes on strong. Almost like too many smells got locked in a room and one of them stabbed the other - a week ago.

Anyway.

The taste is again too much with too many and none of them are all that good. Initially I taste "vanilla" (tm), which is closely followed by a somewhat acrid wood character. That funky smell is there in the taste too, but not as much. I find myself wanting hold my nose when I taste it - that is generally not a good thing. The surprising characteristic, though, is how hollow the taste is. There are big initial notes that pop up and then disappear, leaving very little middle to provide continuity. Lacks balance.

Watery mouthfeel - A stout should have a certain viscous bigness.

I did not like this beer.

FirstMan, Dec 03, 2005
4.53/5  rDev +15.3%

This pours the perfect black with a hint of ruby around the edges. The smell is of burnt grain with a touch of vanilla and oak. The taste is of roasted grain with an oak taste dominating in the middle, and a nice vanilla mixed with a mild burnt taste in the finish.
This is my favorite stout, and is very drinkable and complex. A work of art.

unknownlamer, Nov 17, 2005
4.8/5  rDev +22.1%

Deep mahogany blck pour, with a five inch tan head. Hot damn! Lace all around.

Oak spiciness dominates the smell. Underlying roast and vanilla.

Rich chocolate roast taste to begin. Ends with an astringent vanilla beauty.

Rich and full bodied, this beer is delicious and at only 5% is very sessionable and complex. The drink by dat is April 2004. Disregard that, this beer is very cellarable. Excellent beverage.

nortmand, Nov 17, 2005
3.58/5  rDev -8.9%

12 ounce bottle. This beer pours out nearly black with a small head. Stale hop aroma along with just a little bit of roasted malt. After the boring aroma, I was surprised how tasty this beer is. Starts of malty and woody. Slightly astringent. Vanilla flavor comes in near the finish, and there is a little sweetness. The flavor is very subtle for an oak aged beer. Mouthfeel is a little too light. Decent drinkability. Not as good as I was hoping, but still pretty tasty.

beveragecaptain, Nov 04, 2005
3.98/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured into a pint glass froma 12oz bottle.

A - Semi-opaque brown/black with a tight tan head. Good retention and solid lacing.
S - Wow, the vanilla hits you right away. Very pleasant. There are also notes of smokiness, along with dark coffee and chocolate. Very rich.
T - This is very good, with many flavors competing for attention here. Dry oak, in a bourbon sort of way ... heavy vanilla mingled with chocolate as well. Aftertaste is almost a strong coffee, hop bitterness. Complex and challenging.
M - Thich but not too much so. Fills the mouth with a myriad of flavors that finish very smoothly.
D - This beer surpassed it's expectations in my view ... this is truly one of the better stouts I've tried. The vanilla and oak characteristics are dominant, almost to the point of forgetting that this is a beer. This could be a dessert in itself. I like this one and would order it again for sure.

beerphilosopher, Nov 03, 2005
3.6/5  rDev -8.4%

Pours a nice dark coffee... creamy long laced head... Overwhelming french vanilla nose. It was almost tough to find anything else floating around in there because the vanilla was so overpowering.

First sip was coffee, chocolate and malt balls! A nice tongue coater, and more oak and vanilla come out as you get closer to the bottom of the glass.

raven3131, Oct 21, 2005
4.68/5  rDev +19.1%

This is beer is incredible. From the thick dark coloring to the sweet oak vanilla malt aroma, to the oak infested chocolate vanilla coffee taste. When I tried this beer for the first time it found it's way around to about 10 of my friends and we finished off the bars entire supply of it in one night. Has a lot of drinkability if you like stouts. This beer is definately a keeper.

bds1313, Oct 19, 2005
4.2/5  rDev +6.9%

So what I gather from the bottle is that this beer isn't barrel-aged, but instead flavored with oak chips and vanilla beans. Whatever, it sounds good.

It pours a very deep brown color, just a hint of blood red at the bottom, with a small, short-lived beige head. Smells intensely of vanilla beans. Strong taste of smoky wood with some sweet vanilla, but the flavor is fairly brief, mostly silent except for a bit of a roasted finish. I guess I'm just wondering where the OTHER flavors are--the basic stout flavors. If this beer just had a strong oatmeal stout center of chocolate and coffee, the vanilla and oak garnishes would be wonderful, but as it is, they seem lonely. Also, the vanilla dominates in the nose, while the oak dominates the flavor. All in all, tastes good, and very interesting, but lacking. Could be a truly great beer.

A hearty thanks to Px2GrafX for surprising me with this brew.

battlekow, Sep 30, 2005
4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours black with a somewhat thin tan head. Aroma of vanilla, oak, and bourbon. Flavor is roasty and sweet, with a dry nutty finish. A bit of sour acidity creeps in and balances nicely with the other flavors. A nice chocolate and spruce bitterness mix in the finish as well. Complex flavor, but not over the top in any respect. Just a nice, well crafted stout.

BlastTyrant, Sep 24, 2005
3.68/5  rDev -6.4%

Black body, lone highlight across the bottom of the glass. Smallish tan head runs from dark to light, and does a fine Rice Krispies impression. Good lacing shows quickly.

Nose has vanilla, wood, a bit of coffee and chocolate, but the whole thing is a bit less impressive than I had anticipated after having sampled the brewpub edition years ago.

Nice roasted notes in the taste, coffee and chocolate a little more noticeable, but not huge, and the "extras" (the vanilla and the oak chips) are more blended than in the nose.

Good mouthfeel, not thick but enough for a bit of substance. A stout you can have a couple of in a session.

A good attempt at bringing an affordable version of their brewpub only classic to a wider audience. It's not as good as the original version, but not bad either. Not bad at all.

RonfromJersey, Sep 11, 2005
4.47/5  rDev +13.7%

Pours a molasses color. No head or lace. Smell is smokey burnt wood and malt--exceptional. The taste is a little dry but its quite pleasant. It is also sweet upfront and finishes with a rich leatherry wood-like character. Maybe I can tell the Fall is coming because this beer seems to fit real well right now where it might not be as desireable in the middle of July. The mouthfeel is amazing--just like silk in your mouth. A little too much to have more than a couple of these but this beer is excellent. I like it a lot.

rousee, Sep 08, 2005
3.9/5  rDev -0.8%

Well I tried this beer again and I must say it has changed a bit since the first time I had it. I am not sure if it is a new batch or just some left-overs, but it is definately better than my first review stated. The aroma has really come along and there is a woody vanilla to the roasty stout. The taste was much much more even and even a little milk stout-ish, a nice roasty flavor that gives way to a oaky (read slight tannin) and vanilla flavor with a bit of lactic sweetness. The body is well rounded but a little gelatin like, slick almost in the finish of the beer. Overall a good breakfest for what is going to be a trying day.

Higravity, Sep 07, 2005
3.88/5  rDev -1.3%

I've had a number of these and I see that I never wrote a review.

Dark opaque with a large head that falls very quickly. Smell is cloyingly vanilla (my wife loves this beer, so there) with a roasty malt underneath. Taste is sweet, some coffee notes, just a slight oak flavoring, and the vanilla tends to dominate. Mouthfeel is medium and drinkability is fine but this is for people who like sweet stouts.

Readily available throughout Richmond. Usually on-tap at Capital Ale. Goes for about $7 to $8 per six-pack.

pentathlete, Aug 28, 2005
3.75/5  rDev -4.6%

Presented in a chilled 12 oz. brown bottle this Saturday night.
Poured a beautiful black, with just a bit of carbonation on the sides of the glass. A thick and juicy dark brown head slowly rose. Excellent retention and lacing.
Roasted malts, some vanilla, and just some hop bitterness in the aroma.
Smooth and creamy light bodied stout. The vanilla soda like effects are here, slightly weighted down with some dark roasted malts. There was too much sugarness going on to really detect much of the wood--plus, I didn't let it warm up too much before I finished the bottle.

We had just finished out at a scrappy county crab feast, and stopped off in Little Italy on the way home for a light dessert. The vanilla and chocolate accents of the stout went perfectly with canollis and tira misu. A light drinking, but full bodied, stout that would be worth several.

Dithyramb, Aug 15, 2005