Dominion Oak Barrel Stout - Old Dominion Brewing Company

Dominion Oak Barrel StoutDominion Oak Barrel Stout

Old Dominion Brewing Company visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Stout |  6.10% ABV

We use smoked and peated malts to create an intricate malt foundation. Our method of dry hopping with vanilla beans and oak chips pushes the depth of this stout’s flavor spectrum even further.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-12-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dominion Oak Barrel Stout Alström Bros
1.45/5  rDev -63.1%

A - Not a bad looking stout. Deep black cherry body with cranberry highlights. Fine khaki head with nice lace and retention.

S - A potato vinegar off-note ruins the nose, but there's a layer of caramel molasses and gingerbread beneath the funk.

T - Unfortunately the vinegar carries through to the the flavor profile. Astringent vinegar, raisin, and black molasses. The vinegar lingers deep into the aftertaste.

M - medium light body.

O - I bought this bottle at a wegmans, and I'm not sure if anyone else had quality problems with the bottles they bought from there but I wouldn't recommend it.

1.73/5  rDev -56%

Close to black. Fizzy, airy big brown head. Seems overcarbonated. Is this a sign of bad things to come?? It has been for me in the past with other beers. Aroma is weak and has very little to do with stout or bourbon. Well, the mouthfeel IS overcarbonated and very gaseous. Hard to swallow. The flavor is off. After cutting through all of the CO2, there's a sourness to be found and that's about it. Like watered down lemon juice. This is not good. Don't think I'll finish it.

Thanks for the effort anyway marc77.

1.95/5  rDev -50.4%

Reviewed on 9/20/08. Bottle courtesy of sloth, bottled 6/10/04. Pours black with a minute tan head. Aroma and flavor of Raisinettes and vinegar. I'm not sure if this beer went bad or if it's supposed to taste like this, but either way, yuck! Hopefully I can get a fresher bottle of this to re-rate.
3/3/4/2/9 (2.1/5)

1.98/5  rDev -49.6%

Thanks to dbexpert. Bottled on 01/17/2011 on label. 12oz bottle poured into a snifter.

Pours a solid black with a thin tan cap for a head. The head dissipates almost immediately, leaving the thinnest of a tan ring around the glass.

The aroma is not strong at all. In fact, it's quite weak. There is a bit of smokiness when inhaled deeply. Perhaps a touch of wood but you really have to look for it in order to find it.

The taste isn't much better. Pretty bland. Some slight char and wood. No oak to speak of. There is a touch of sweetness, toffee or caramel. The flavors are there but they certainly aren't all that strong. Nothing stand out and each flavor is gone almost as soon as it's recognized.

Thin bodied with high carbonation. It's very thin and watery. Doesn't feel like a stout at all. Far from it.

The label says that it was bottled on 01/17/2011 and it was reviewed on 03/18/2011 but the beer didn't seem up to par, to me anyway. I haven't had a known fresh sample of it so I'm not sure that it was stale but my experience doesn't really follow along with the others.

2.03/5  rDev -48.3%

Ok this has to be the worst BA beer I have ever had. And so far I think I have had my fair share.

Pours a deep black and no matter how hard I poured there was no head. No ring nothin. It almost looked like flat angels share.

Aroma is off. I smell oak but there is something off I can't put my finger on it.

Taste is not good. I'll probably dump it. Tastes nothing like a stout. Maybe a little roastyness but not much. Really I have no idea where the flavor went.

Mouthfeel is terrible. Tastes super thin and flat. Not good at all.

This has to be one of the worst beers I have had. Usually I can choke it down. I usually can say each beer I have had I can drink but could just improove or is just bland. This beer just needs a complete overhaul. It does not appear that I have a bad bottle so I feel this is a fair review. It does not taste infected.

2.05/5  rDev -47.8%

I must have a seriously off bottle, because I just can not get into this, and I'm not hard to please. The predominant flavor of this bottle is scorched French Roast coffee. There's little carbonation, the mouthfeel is thin, and there's little nose to speak of.

It simply HAS to be an off bottle, because I can't see my tastes being so contrary to others' experiences, when I agree almost always on other reviews.

F (for FAILED)(note: I'm not prone to grade inflation, as in: "This beer really sucked, it was thin, watery, with no character. A minus)

2.15/5  rDev -45.3%

Bottle to pint glass. Bottled 3/10/10. Five months old when reviewed.

A: Three fingers of a medium brown creamy/frothy head is long lasting. The body is the darkest brown possible if it isn't purely black and no light comes through. Only a spare amount of lacing finds it's way to the glass, which is to the detriment of the rating, especially given the style.

S: Less than impressive amount of malts. Dark chocolate first, coffee second, both medium roasty. No discernible hop or yeast contribution. Light hints of vanilla are only noticeable when the beer warms a bit.

T: There is a fruity component from the middle to the back end of the palate that I don't find particularly complimentary. Almost no trace of any vanilla or wood, the wood having a bigger impact on the mouthfeel. Tangy/sour notes throughout. Not what I'm looking for in an oak-aged, vanilla flavored stout. At all, really.

M: Somewhat similar to a dry stout. Starts out with a full body that thins out considerably as it passes over the tongue. Aggressively carbonated with a very dry, astringent finish.

D: No ABV is indicated on the label. My guess (while drinking) is that the Dominion Oak Barrel Stout lands somewhere in between 4.5-5.5% and Beer Advocate's listing confirms it. Hate to say it, but this beer is not very good.

[EDIT] Recently got to try one of the early vintages of this brew. It was very solid. What's produces nowadays...ehhh...not so much.

2.2/5  rDev -44%

2.23/5  rDev -43.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

The bartender said it had a hint of vanilla. It looked like a good beer. Nice color and head. BUT this was an overpowering flavor of vanilla. The tap handle said oak barrel stout, but it should have read vanilla flavored beer. Not good. I guess it would be appealing to women and those who love the vanilla, but when you put a beer to your lips and expect to taste beer and get this...Well lets just say I was not impressed. I wouldn't order this again.

2.23/5  rDev -43.3%

I'm not even going to go through the usual list. Sorry, but this beer is not worth buying. Stay away. Bourbon barrel beer...this is not. Stout...this is not. Watery charred crap it is. If you think this is world-class or excellent or even good, stick with your Coors Light. Wow! Only redeeming quality is some silkiness. Look at my other stout reviews. This is not one to sit back and enjoy. Almost...a drain pour!

2.25/5  rDev -42.7%

2.25/5  rDev -42.7%

I picked up a six pack of this while I was down in Washington D.C. for a trip a few weeks back. I had a couple while I was there, and brought a couple with me to review later on. Honestly I'm not quite sure why I brought it with me, because I'm really not impressed with this beer.

Coloring is black as a stout should be with a less than vigorous head. Sort of wispy and light. While the coloring is right, there's a creamy, smooth visual character that good stouts have - such that you see it's more viscous and thick than normal beers. This does not have that. It appears more watery.

There's something weird with the smell. Possibly this is the oak aging and the vanilla so touted on the bottle, but it sort of smells like the underside of a pier, if you ask me. There's a salt-water sort of funk underlying. Notes of molasses and smoke in there, but the other thing really comes on strong. Almost like too many smells got locked in a room and one of them stabbed the other - a week ago.

Anyway.

The taste is again too much with too many and none of them are all that good. Initially I taste "vanilla" (tm), which is closely followed by a somewhat acrid wood character. That funky smell is there in the taste too, but not as much. I find myself wanting hold my nose when I taste it - that is generally not a good thing. The surprising characteristic, though, is how hollow the taste is. There are big initial notes that pop up and then disappear, leaving very little middle to provide continuity. Lacks balance.

Watery mouthfeel - A stout should have a certain viscous bigness.

I did not like this beer.

2.32/5  rDev -41%

2.58/5  rDev -34.4%

a - dark black, not the blackest of black though. Whispy head, beige.

s - Malty stout, not overwhelming. It's cold. Not much vanilla but we'll see. Some coffee.

t - Light, agressive mouthfeel, harsh flavors. Thin, not creamy or chewy. Low FG I think. Dissappointing. No oak flavors, not much of any flavors. If I gulp it I can get past some CO2 to taste a hint of vanilla. Overall, thin.

m - agressive carbonation and thin body = selzer-like afterfeel.

d - I didn't like it enough to reach for another. It's like the second runnings of a beer I want to try.

I don't understand how this can get an A-. I'm wondering if I got a bad bottle somehow, too much CO2, overattenuated? I have a six pack, if I try again and it's different I'll update.

Dominion Oak Barrel Stout from Old Dominion Brewing Company