1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Dominion Oak Barrel Stout - Old Dominion Brewing Company

Dominion Oak Barrel StoutDominion Oak Barrel Stout

Old Dominion Brewing Company visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Stout |  6.10% ABV

We use smoked and peated malts to create an intricate malt foundation. Our method of dry hopping with vanilla beans and oak chips pushes the depth of this stout’s flavor spectrum even further.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dominion Oak Barrel Stout Alström Bros
4.43/5  rDev +12.7%

Very creamy and overall a great beer. I had this as part of the Beer of the month a while back and then again at Eulogy in Philadelphia PA. Pours nice and smells great. I have not been able to find any in NJ or PA to pick up a case. The vanilla finish is great.

Hughesed, Feb 21, 2006
3.65/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I would like to point out that this is my first review on the site and I'm happy to be a part of it.

Appearance - pours to a black with brown tints with a brown head (which there isn't much of) and really no lacing.

Smell - Like a mild mix of vanilla, chocolate, and oak.

Taste - This is where the OAK in the title comes through to me, that with a bit of vanilla make for a pretty sweet taste

Mouthfeel - surprisingly light to me*

Drinkability - I find this to be a pretty solid offering with a pleasantly sweet taste.

I say this because the stout I would mostly drink (until recently) is Ginness so I'm not as used to traditionally carbonated stouts.

jimiejams, Jan 03, 2010

I had this on tap at the Nuclear Free Beer Festival. The aroma and even the taste brought early childhood memories back. There was a store on M St in Georgetown called the Georgetown Coffee and Tea Shop, that is what it reminded me of. I would go in there every Sunday after church and I always loved the smell. It was nice and balanced and finished like a good espresso.

bayinghound, Oct 18, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -4.6%

shrtstp2, Apr 28, 2012
3.75/5  rDev -4.6%

Appearance: Pour into a pint glass yielded a deep, dark brown body with a light brown two finger head.

Smell: Oak, vanilla, and malts in that order.

Taste: The oak barrel has lent a great deal of flavor to this brew, and its taste definitely dominates at first. After a few seconds it fades yielding to malt flavors with undertones of vanilla.

Mouthfeel: It is thinner than many stouts, but that lends it an uncommon drink-ability for the style.

Overall: Not necessarily what I was expecting to get, but a good beer that I would buy again nonetheless.

scohen, Jun 30, 2011

dbus08, Dec 26, 2011

tedan, Jul 06, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +20.9%

Oakinsola, Aug 04, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

JGVT, Aug 26, 2013
4.68/5  rDev +19.1%

This is quite possibly my favorite stout ever. This is the first beer my father and I shared together as adults. He took me to his favorite watering hole it happend to be Old Dominion brewery.

From draft, its near perfect. It has extreme vanilla on the first nose. Inhaling deeper you get a very woody scent straight from the oak barrels it came from. It's so deep brown its near black. Caramely(maybe not a real word) head. Rich in color as in smell. Taste is like pure heaven. It is a real vanilla stout with bourbon hanging on everytaste bud with out killing the vanilla. The vanilla despite its strength, is not over powering as well. Leaving a very smooth stout. So enjoyable you can have it for breakfast of dessert. This is a beer you must seek while in Virginia. You might not be a stout person but it is something you will remember always. That's how important this stout is to me. I remember when Jason and Todd both privileged to have it on draft, had their first taste. It was like watching a kid try something sweet for the first time in their life. It truly is an amazing beer. It is one of the first beers that made me understand why beer is so great. Between that and Arrogant Bastard.

Cfahooligan, Dec 04, 2004
3.9/5  rDev -0.8%

I really, really enjoyed this beer. (yes, deserves both really's)
It poured a dark handsome shade of black. It had a slight malty aroma nothing over powering. It’s a dark beer but not too heavy, and what sets it apart for me is that vanilla mouth feel and after taste. The drinkabilty is through the roof. If this were any higher in abv it could be really dangerous... damn I could use another!

BigMart42, Sep 27, 2007

SDoc, Apr 02, 2014
3.8/5  rDev -3.3%

vudu77, Sep 09, 2014

willthend, Aug 20, 2014
4.68/5  rDev +19.1%

This is beer is incredible. From the thick dark coloring to the sweet oak vanilla malt aroma, to the oak infested chocolate vanilla coffee taste. When I tried this beer for the first time it found it's way around to about 10 of my friends and we finished off the bars entire supply of it in one night. Has a lot of drinkability if you like stouts. This beer is definately a keeper.

bds1313, Oct 19, 2005
4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

Had it on tap at Dulles airport in DC at the Old Dominion pub next to gate B14. Pours beautifully with a nice head. Slight sweetness with hints of vanilla and even a little chocolate. It is not overly bitter which makes it very easy to drink. It may be a little to sweet for some, but I am a big fan.

kirchnak, Sep 21, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -0.8%

Served chilled in a pint glass.

A - Motor oil black with a minimal light tan head.

S - Not as over powering as some other stouts out there. Chocolate and coffee with hints of caramel and vanilla.

T - Almost no carbonation. Coffee and vanilla stand out.

M - Silky smooth due to the low abv.

O - Very good American stout overall. Could become my go to local stout. Highly recommend.

kindahungover, Jun 23, 2011

TennesseeTim, Mar 29, 2012

CrowdedMill, Sep 20, 2012

Jermc777, Jan 30, 2014
4.13/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I really like stouts, and this has been one of my favorites for a couple years now. I picked it up at Martin's this time.
A- Can't see through it, and it pours a great looking 1' froth.
S- Nothing crazy here, just a hint of vanilla like the bottle advertises.
T- A great, smooth taste that hits you with that vanilla flavor. It's so smooth but still has that roasted flavor of a stout.
Overall, like I said before it is one of my favorites, and it's always easy to find here in Virginia so I pick it up pretty often.

DanLane, May 13, 2014
3.76/5  rDev -4.3%

Shaynee111, Aug 31, 2014
4.78/5  rDev +21.6%

Pours a very dark opaque black with brown head. (I'm talking black to the point where my mag-lite couldn't be seen through it except for a tint of ruby) Has decent head retention. Smell is sweet, mostly roast and vanilla. Taste is well-balanced with the vanilla coming to the forefront. Also has a cocoa-ish taste to it. Extremely smooth to drink. I have to say this is one of the few stouts I think I could sit down and just drink gallons of. I drove 2 hours to the store where I picked this up and I must say the trip was not wasted. A must try. One day I hope to try it on tap.

eby, Jun 12, 2004
2.05/5  rDev -47.8%

I must have a seriously off bottle, because I just can not get into this, and I'm not hard to please. The predominant flavor of this bottle is scorched French Roast coffee. There's little carbonation, the mouthfeel is thin, and there's little nose to speak of.

It simply HAS to be an off bottle, because I can't see my tastes being so contrary to others' experiences, when I agree almost always on other reviews.

F (for FAILED)(note: I'm not prone to grade inflation, as in: "This beer really sucked, it was thin, watery, with no character. A minus)

hippiekinkster, Jun 28, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This is my first beer review. Luckily, however, this is not my first beer.

The beer pours pitch black with slight red hues near the bottom of the glass. The head is a normal tan and has lingered for quite awhile. The lacing is very pronounced, almost sticky.

The smell is more pronounced in the bottle, but when poured there are hints of oak, coffee, and almost a general nutty sweetness to the beer.

The taste is complex with pronounced flavors of oak and coffee with a very slight hint of bitterness in the finish. The slightly thick and smooth mouth feel is a definite highlight and the carbonation is perfect.

Overall, this is a great brew and thus far, a highlight in my beer journey, however limited that may be.

cblackwell44, Dec 26, 2008