Dominion Oak Barrel Stout - Old Dominion Brewing Company

Dominion Oak Barrel StoutDominion Oak Barrel Stout

Old Dominion Brewing Company visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Stout |  6.10% ABV

We use smoked and peated malts to create an intricate malt foundation. Our method of dry hopping with vanilla beans and oak chips pushes the depth of this stout’s flavor spectrum even further.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dominion Oak Barrel Stout Alström Bros
4.35/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured into a grand pilsner this stout is wonderfully dark with a nice light brown head. The vanilla and oak used in the fermenting bring out a tasteful almost caramel flavor. Has similar smell and taste characteristics to root or birch beers.

Drinkability is high. Because of it's dark color it looks thick but is actually very light and goes down very smooth. This makes for a great after dinner or late night dessert. I'm almost tempted to add vanilla ice cream and make a nice Oak Barrel Float.

Bottoms Up!!!

Mattalmond, Jul 11, 2014

averse, Jul 06, 2013

El_Flippo, Jan 01, 2013
3.63/5  rDev -7.6%

Very excited to give this one a shot. In my eyes, pretty much any stout is worth a shot and this particular beer piqued my interest.

A - Pours a deep brown, almost black color with a decent head, slight lacing.

S - Oak aroma with a touch of sweetness.

T - Oak follows through initially with vanilla to follow, slightly sweet but certainly not overwhelming. Less bitterness than I had expected on the back end.

M - Here is where I believe things head south. For a stout, this beer is certainly on the lighter end. I was hoping for something a little bit bolder and heavier, but was somewhat disappointed. There is average carbonation, which doesn't help or hinder the overall experience in my opinion.

O - Overall I think this beer looks better than it tastes which not optimal in my opinion when being forced to choose one over the other. The aroma helps the overall experience but doesn't follow through to the mouth. I would say it's worth a shot, but I don't think I would go back for a second one with so many great options available.

letsdrink, Apr 18, 2013

Chasmill70, Aug 05, 2014
4.28/5  rDev +8.9%

JoeLaurito, Aug 23, 2014
4.2/5  rDev +6.9%

A: A dark amber coloration.The pour produced a 1finger head that held up well.
S: Woody,vanilla coffee flavors.
T: Yea,...I"m takin a likin to this! Roasted dark chocalate with sour apple notes.A nice, faintly sweet vanilla finish.
M: I'd say medium bodied.Velvety,yet crisp.
D: Highly sessionable stout.I enjoyed this very much.Kinda reminds me of a beer that I had in Ireland,...Beamish.

cixelsydima, Apr 26, 2007

ByrdBrain, Oct 14, 2012

bobtopich, Oct 03, 2012
4.12/5  rDev +4.8%

FillingMouths4Money, Aug 18, 2014
4.43/5  rDev +12.7%

Very creamy and overall a great beer. I had this as part of the Beer of the month a while back and then again at Eulogy in Philadelphia PA. Pours nice and smells great. I have not been able to find any in NJ or PA to pick up a case. The vanilla finish is great.

Hughesed, Feb 21, 2006
3.65/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I would like to point out that this is my first review on the site and I'm happy to be a part of it.

Appearance - pours to a black with brown tints with a brown head (which there isn't much of) and really no lacing.

Smell - Like a mild mix of vanilla, chocolate, and oak.

Taste - This is where the OAK in the title comes through to me, that with a bit of vanilla make for a pretty sweet taste

Mouthfeel - surprisingly light to me*

Drinkability - I find this to be a pretty solid offering with a pleasantly sweet taste.

I say this because the stout I would mostly drink (until recently) is Ginness so I'm not as used to traditionally carbonated stouts.

jimiejams, Jan 03, 2010

I had this on tap at the Nuclear Free Beer Festival. The aroma and even the taste brought early childhood memories back. There was a store on M St in Georgetown called the Georgetown Coffee and Tea Shop, that is what it reminded me of. I would go in there every Sunday after church and I always loved the smell. It was nice and balanced and finished like a good espresso.

bayinghound, Oct 18, 2010

shrtstp2, Apr 28, 2012
3.75/5  rDev -4.6%

Appearance: Pour into a pint glass yielded a deep, dark brown body with a light brown two finger head.

Smell: Oak, vanilla, and malts in that order.

Taste: The oak barrel has lent a great deal of flavor to this brew, and its taste definitely dominates at first. After a few seconds it fades yielding to malt flavors with undertones of vanilla.

Mouthfeel: It is thinner than many stouts, but that lends it an uncommon drink-ability for the style.

Overall: Not necessarily what I was expecting to get, but a good beer that I would buy again nonetheless.

scohen, Jun 30, 2011

JGVT, Aug 26, 2013
3.8/5  rDev -3.3%

vudu77, Sep 09, 2014
4.68/5  rDev +19.1%

This is quite possibly my favorite stout ever. This is the first beer my father and I shared together as adults. He took me to his favorite watering hole it happend to be Old Dominion brewery.

From draft, its near perfect. It has extreme vanilla on the first nose. Inhaling deeper you get a very woody scent straight from the oak barrels it came from. It's so deep brown its near black. Caramely(maybe not a real word) head. Rich in color as in smell. Taste is like pure heaven. It is a real vanilla stout with bourbon hanging on everytaste bud with out killing the vanilla. The vanilla despite its strength, is not over powering as well. Leaving a very smooth stout. So enjoyable you can have it for breakfast of dessert. This is a beer you must seek while in Virginia. You might not be a stout person but it is something you will remember always. That's how important this stout is to me. I remember when Jason and Todd both privileged to have it on draft, had their first taste. It was like watching a kid try something sweet for the first time in their life. It truly is an amazing beer. It is one of the first beers that made me understand why beer is so great. Between that and Arrogant Bastard.

Cfahooligan, Dec 04, 2004