2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Dominion Oak Barrel Stout - Old Dominion Brewing Company

Dominion Oak Barrel StoutDominion Oak Barrel Stout

Old Dominion Brewing Company visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Stout |  6.10% ABV

We use smoked and peated malts to create an intricate malt foundation. Our method of dry hopping with vanilla beans and oak chips pushes the depth of this stout’s flavor spectrum even further.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-12-2001)
View: Beers (29) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dominion Oak Barrel Stout Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 576-600 | 601-625 | 626-650  | next › last »
Ratings: 1,114 | Reviews: 646 | Show All Ratings:
PhilDaBrewer

Indiana

This one pours dark, dark, brown with shallow, frothy head that isn't going anywhere. Aroma is vanilla and roasted chocolate - taste to match. Smooth, thick mouth-feel. Overall, a very enjoyable beer that I would seek out again. Don't hesitate to give this one a try.

06-13-2013 22:57:25 | More by PhilDaBrewer
Nate139

4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

A - creamy light brown head, completely black in color

S - dark malts with hints of chocolate and vanilla

T - strong roasted and vanilla flavors with hints of coffee and chocolate

M - medium-light in body, very smooth

O - Great beer, definitely recommend giving this a try

01-30-2014 06:36:17 | More by Nate139
JoeNobody

4.35/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured into a grand pilsner this stout is wonderfully dark with a nice light brown head. The vanilla and oak used in the fermenting bring out a tasteful almost caramel flavor. Has similar smell and taste characteristics to root or birch beers.

Drinkability is high. Because of it's dark color it looks thick but is actually very light and goes down very smooth. This makes for a great after dinner or late night dessert. I'm almost tempted to add vanilla ice cream and make a nice Oak Barrel Float.

Bottoms Up!!!

02-26-2005 18:10:50 | More by JoeNobody
JClarson

3.46/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A- Dark tan head. Black in color with an amber tinge.

S- Smokey oak hits the nose then follows with chocolate and caramel candies.

T- Roasted/chocolate malt follows all the way through. Slight vanilla and oak at the finish.

M- Creamy with a lingering smokey aftertaste.

O- If you see this in the store pick it up and try it you won't be disappointed. The oak and vanilla dry hopping give this beer a unique taste that is not too overwhelming and doesn't take over your palate.

02-12-2013 21:45:45 | More by JClarson
letsdrink

3.63/5  rDev -7.9%

Very excited to give this one a shot. In my eyes, pretty much any stout is worth a shot and this particular beer piqued my interest.

A - Pours a deep brown, almost black color with a decent head, slight lacing.

S - Oak aroma with a touch of sweetness.

T - Oak follows through initially with vanilla to follow, slightly sweet but certainly not overwhelming. Less bitterness than I had expected on the back end.

M - Here is where I believe things head south. For a stout, this beer is certainly on the lighter end. I was hoping for something a little bit bolder and heavier, but was somewhat disappointed. There is average carbonation, which doesn't help or hinder the overall experience in my opinion.

O - Overall I think this beer looks better than it tastes which not optimal in my opinion when being forced to choose one over the other. The aroma helps the overall experience but doesn't follow through to the mouth. I would say it's worth a shot, but I don't think I would go back for a second one with so many great options available.

04-18-2013 22:42:26 | More by letsdrink
cixelsydima

4.2/5  rDev +6.6%

A: A dark amber coloration.The pour produced a 1finger head that held up well.
S: Woody,vanilla coffee flavors.
T: Yea,...I"m takin a likin to this! Roasted dark chocalate with sour apple notes.A nice, faintly sweet vanilla finish.
M: I'd say medium bodied.Velvety,yet crisp.
D: Highly sessionable stout.I enjoyed this very much.Kinda reminds me of a beer that I had in Ireland,...Beamish.

04-26-2007 00:01:18 | More by cixelsydima
jimiejams

3.65/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I would like to point out that this is my first review on the site and I'm happy to be a part of it.

Appearance - pours to a black with brown tints with a brown head (which there isn't much of) and really no lacing.

Smell - Like a mild mix of vanilla, chocolate, and oak.

Taste - This is where the OAK in the title comes through to me, that with a bit of vanilla make for a pretty sweet taste

Mouthfeel - surprisingly light to me*

Drinkability - I find this to be a pretty solid offering with a pleasantly sweet taste.

I say this because the stout I would mostly drink (until recently) is Ginness so I'm not as used to traditionally carbonated stouts.

01-03-2010 04:48:58 | More by jimiejams
bayinghound

Maryland

I had this on tap at the Nuclear Free Beer Festival. The aroma and even the taste brought early childhood memories back. There was a store on M St in Georgetown called the Georgetown Coffee and Tea Shop, that is what it reminded me of. I would go in there every Sunday after church and I always loved the smell. It was nice and balanced and finished like a good espresso.

10-18-2010 03:06:48 | More by bayinghound
scohen

3.75/5  rDev -4.8%

Appearance: Pour into a pint glass yielded a deep, dark brown body with a light brown two finger head.

Smell: Oak, vanilla, and malts in that order.

Taste: The oak barrel has lent a great deal of flavor to this brew, and its taste definitely dominates at first. After a few seconds it fades yielding to malt flavors with undertones of vanilla.

Mouthfeel: It is thinner than many stouts, but that lends it an uncommon drink-ability for the style.

Overall: Not necessarily what I was expecting to get, but a good beer that I would buy again nonetheless.

06-30-2011 01:32:02 | More by scohen
Cfahooligan

Colorado

4.68/5  rDev +18.8%

This is quite possibly my favorite stout ever. This is the first beer my father and I shared together as adults. He took me to his favorite watering hole it happend to be Old Dominion brewery.

From draft, its near perfect. It has extreme vanilla on the first nose. Inhaling deeper you get a very woody scent straight from the oak barrels it came from. It's so deep brown its near black. Caramely(maybe not a real word) head. Rich in color as in smell. Taste is like pure heaven. It is a real vanilla stout with bourbon hanging on everytaste bud with out killing the vanilla. The vanilla despite its strength, is not over powering as well. Leaving a very smooth stout. So enjoyable you can have it for breakfast of dessert. This is a beer you must seek while in Virginia. You might not be a stout person but it is something you will remember always. That's how important this stout is to me. I remember when Jason and Todd both privileged to have it on draft, had their first taste. It was like watching a kid try something sweet for the first time in their life. It truly is an amazing beer. It is one of the first beers that made me understand why beer is so great. Between that and Arrogant Bastard.

12-04-2004 05:03:42 | More by Cfahooligan
BigMart42

3.9/5  rDev -1%

I really, really enjoyed this beer. (yes, deserves both really's)
It poured a dark handsome shade of black. It had a slight malty aroma nothing over powering. It’s a dark beer but not too heavy, and what sets it apart for me is that vanilla mouth feel and after taste. The drinkabilty is through the roof. If this were any higher in abv it could be really dangerous... damn I could use another!

09-27-2007 22:14:51 | More by BigMart42
bds1313

4.68/5  rDev +18.8%

This is beer is incredible. From the thick dark coloring to the sweet oak vanilla malt aroma, to the oak infested chocolate vanilla coffee taste. When I tried this beer for the first time it found it's way around to about 10 of my friends and we finished off the bars entire supply of it in one night. Has a lot of drinkability if you like stouts. This beer is definately a keeper.

10-19-2005 11:40:18 | More by bds1313
Hughesed

4.43/5  rDev +12.4%

Very creamy and overall a great beer. I had this as part of the Beer of the month a while back and then again at Eulogy in Philadelphia PA. Pours nice and smells great. I have not been able to find any in NJ or PA to pick up a case. The vanilla finish is great.

02-21-2006 23:05:48 | More by Hughesed
kirchnak

South Carolina

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

Had it on tap at Dulles airport in DC at the Old Dominion pub next to gate B14. Pours beautifully with a nice head. Slight sweetness with hints of vanilla and even a little chocolate. It is not overly bitter which makes it very easy to drink. It may be a little to sweet for some, but I am a big fan.

09-21-2009 15:54:46 | More by kirchnak
kindahungover

Delaware

3.9/5  rDev -1%

Served chilled in a pint glass.

A - Motor oil black with a minimal light tan head.

S - Not as over powering as some other stouts out there. Chocolate and coffee with hints of caramel and vanilla.

T - Almost no carbonation. Coffee and vanilla stand out.

M - Silky smooth due to the low abv.

O - Very good American stout overall. Could become my go to local stout. Highly recommend.

06-23-2011 22:32:00 | More by kindahungover
Rons35

4.03/5  rDev +2.3%

Had this beer out of a Founders snifter. Pours very dark, with a slight brownish/coffee colored head that settled quickly into a thin band around the glass. The smell of sweet chocolate is faint but noticeable. Also, the smell of oak and a little smoke mixes in nicely. Towards the end of the glass, the smell of the bourbon really stands out.

This beer has a very sweet, but very drinkable taste that leaves you wanting more. This is where the vanilla bean comes into play. Not really noticing any of the bourbon flavor you typically find in a barrel aged stout, but you can taste a hint of the oak. It's a very light drinking beer, I'd prefer if it had a little more thickness, but it is only a 6%er, so I'll let that slide.

Overall this is a very good stout that I was very surprised with. For the price (about $10 per 6), it's tough to beat. It's not an overpowering stout, but it's definitely one that I'll have again and recommend to fellow beer drinkers.

08-26-2012 00:15:11 | More by Rons35
eby

4.78/5  rDev +21.3%

Pours a very dark opaque black with brown head. (I'm talking black to the point where my mag-lite couldn't be seen through it except for a tint of ruby) Has decent head retention. Smell is sweet, mostly roast and vanilla. Taste is well-balanced with the vanilla coming to the forefront. Also has a cocoa-ish taste to it. Extremely smooth to drink. I have to say this is one of the few stouts I think I could sit down and just drink gallons of. I drove 2 hours to the store where I picked this up and I must say the trip was not wasted. A must try. One day I hope to try it on tap.

06-12-2004 20:39:40 | More by eby
cblackwell44

Alabama

4.2/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This is my first beer review. Luckily, however, this is not my first beer.

The beer pours pitch black with slight red hues near the bottom of the glass. The head is a normal tan and has lingered for quite awhile. The lacing is very pronounced, almost sticky.

The smell is more pronounced in the bottle, but when poured there are hints of oak, coffee, and almost a general nutty sweetness to the beer.

The taste is complex with pronounced flavors of oak and coffee with a very slight hint of bitterness in the finish. The slightly thick and smooth mouth feel is a definite highlight and the carbonation is perfect.

Overall, this is a great brew and thus far, a highlight in my beer journey, however limited that may be.

12-26-2008 07:54:32 | More by cblackwell44
hippiekinkster

Georgia

2.05/5  rDev -48%

I must have a seriously off bottle, because I just can not get into this, and I'm not hard to please. The predominant flavor of this bottle is scorched French Roast coffee. There's little carbonation, the mouthfeel is thin, and there's little nose to speak of.

It simply HAS to be an off bottle, because I can't see my tastes being so contrary to others' experiences, when I agree almost always on other reviews.

F (for FAILED)(note: I'm not prone to grade inflation, as in: "This beer really sucked, it was thin, watery, with no character. A minus)

06-28-2009 04:30:15 | More by hippiekinkster
dmcclurejr

4.28/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Glad to see that this is available in Ohio again!
Had a pint on tap at Brews Cafe in Granville, OH.

A: Thin, dark tan head, which settled quickly. Beer is black.

S: Some smoke. Vanilla is present, but doesn't jump out. Hints of coffee and chocolate.

T: Initially, malt sweetness is apparent. Woody, smoky, and roasted malt notes follow. Vanilla flavor is somewhat pronounced. Rich taste considering the ABV. Finish is significantly more dry than it was a few years ago when previously sold in OH or than the case we picked up in VA a couple of years ago.

M: Very smooth. Certainly does not have the heavy or thick mouthfeel of an imperial, but definitely heavier than the common dry stouts.

O: Excellent beer overall. Somewhat complex and satisfying taste. Very nice to have a reasonably complex and rich stout for a reasonable price. I also find it refreshing to have a rich and rewarding stout that isn't overly alcoholic. I would very much like to see more rich stouts in the 5 to 6.5% ABV range. This is probably my favorite American stout. I especially love that it is session friendly. I just wish the finish wasn't quite so dry.

11-08-2012 16:35:59 | More by dmcclurejr
cxs285psu

4.39/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A very dark color with a thin light brown color head. I have had a more frothy head before, so I am wondering if there is carbonation issues or if time in the bottle effected this. Non-the-less, the Aroma is clearly vanilla and chocolate with a light roasted smell. The taste brings out a light oak flavor with the vanilla and chocolate dominating. Very smooth feel. The vanilla is quite an enjoyable change up for a stout. A thoroughly enjoyable beer that I will certainly have again.

07-08-2013 20:18:36 | More by cxs285psu