Dominion Oak Barrel Stout | Old Dominion Brewing Company

Dominion Oak Barrel StoutDominion Oak Barrel Stout

Old Dominion Brewing Company
Delaware, United States | website

Style: American Stout

We use smoked and peated malts to create an intricate malt foundation. Our method of dry hopping with vanilla beans and oak chips pushes the depth of this stout’s flavor spectrum even further.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-12-2001

Reviews: 692 | Ratings: 1,468
3.92/5  rDev 0%

I picked up a bottle of this local offering as part of a systematic review of domestic stouts. This one has much to offer. The pour is slightly thick, producing a modest head that dissipated quickly. Color is almost black with essentially no light passing through. Mild carbonation. The smell is complex and aligns well with the taste. Not much bitterness, and not much cooked coffee flavor. Nice maltiness in the heart of the flavor, and some pleasant sweetness, as well. The brewer states that the beer is dry-hopped with fresh vanilla beans and "toasted oak" chips to simulate a bourbon barrel aging. That may be, but I did not get a significant oak or vanilla experience from this brew - they're probably in there somewhere contributing to the overall flavor, but I was surprised these flavors were not prominent since the label touts them front and back.

This beer is not much like Guinness because it lacks the strong burnt coffee and salty components of Guinness, which may be a plus or a minus depending on how much you like the Irish icon. Oak Barrel is a good stout, pleasant and inoffensive. I would enjoy it again, though it does not rank among the leading American stouts in my opinion.

4.21/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

i've never tried this until now i was out looking for old dominion's oatmeal stout (then i found out they were bought out by Anheuser-Busch and was discontinued and this was suggested) dark appearance and average smell. but the taste is excellent a nice roasted coffee taste with a light chocolaty finish (i love it) almost creamy mouthfeel but not too heavy. i really love this stout. i could drink this on a regular basis.

-RR

4.37/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured black with a nice head that lingered longer than expected.

Smells roasty with caramel vanilla background. Subtle without being simple.

I was impressed with the taste. Has a nice toasted malt base with notes of vanilla, toffee, and molasses. The oak is underlying but definitely present.

This is a bit thin for a stout, but only a bit. Still plenty of substance to it.

This isn't too strong and the taste doesn't lean too much towards one thing, so I could easily drink 6 of these in an evening.

4.92/5  rDev +25.5%

Got lucky enough to get stuck at BWI airport in Baltimore and went to Ram's Head. Tried the Copperhead first and liked it. Next I tried this wonderful stout. Extremely smooth and very flavorful. Of course the malts were just right. Each drink left that leveled effect that the commercials are telling about. I hope to get stuck at BWI again soon.

4.07/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A :: Pours a thick black with a one finger creamy tan head. It reduced to nothing within minutes.
S :: Oak, dark malt, chocolate
T :: A little woodiness from the oak with the chocolate and malt showing through the most. This leaves a long lasting bitterness in your mouth.
M :: Thinner than I expected for this stout. Medium-heavy carbonation
D :: The flavors are balanced and I could definitely enjoy a few of these. Again, a little thinner than I would like, but still good overall.

4.3/5  rDev +9.7%

12oz bottle poured into a stout glass.

A - It poured nice and dark with almost no head and very few rising bubbles, leaving almost zero lacing while consumed.

S - The vanilla really jumps out with some malt. It also smells a little darker than it looks.

T - Surprisingly I can taste the oak a lot more than the vanilla. If I attempt to smell while drinking the vanilla becomes more prevalent, but the oak is definitely the stringer of the tastes.

M - Nice and smooth, better than other stouts I've had recently.

D - I love stouts but this is really nice for a change of pace. The vanilla flavor is nice, but I really enjoyed the oak taste, they really compliment each other well. I could drink this beer all night long.

4.57/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: The body is black with some dark reddish-brown color on the sides.
The head is thick and tan in color. And recedes to a creamy look.
The lace is only minor.

Smell: Scent of toffee, caramel, coffee, oak, and vanilla. A very pleasant smell.

Taste: Dark malts upfront that were roasted and crisp with a little bitterness to them.
In the middle was a sweetness that was balanced but complex. Notes of
chocolate, coffee, caramelized toffee, and vanilla that mix together
perfectly. Ends with a light roasted flavor that is smooth.

Mouthfeel: Silky smooth and full body. In the middle it has an acidic crisp feeling when
all of the complex flavors mixes.

Overall: I love everything about this stout. My favorite thing is the complex flavors
and how smooth it is. A very interesting brew. One of my favorite stouts.

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

Ive had this on tap several times

L: very dark, looks black, brown tints in light; tan creamy head, wish it lasts longer

S: malts; roasted toasty ,smoke; oak; some vanilla; smells great

T: sweet on the start with roasted toasty malts bitterness coming in and balancing it; hints of oak (not overpowering but id like more oak, Smoke hickory flavors, some hop flavor at the end, but not a lot to me; good oak stout overall, that's doesn't feel too heavy.

4.03/5  rDev +2.8%

A - Jet black. Completely opaque. Small brown head from a rough pour, otherwise no head.

S - The vanilla really comes through on the smell. Can smell the sweat malts.

T - Lots of character, vanilla, spicy wood, very sweet.

M - A very light mouthfeel for a stout. I was hoping for it to be a little heavier.

D - Could drink a few of these very quickly. Great for winter.

4.17/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours black with a somewhat thin tan head. Aroma of vanilla, oak, and bourbon. Flavor is roasty and sweet, with a dry nutty finish. A bit of sour acidity creeps in and balances nicely with the other flavors. A nice chocolate and spruce bitterness mix in the finish as well. Complex flavor, but not over the top in any respect. Just a nice, well crafted stout.

4.85/5  rDev +23.7%

On a tour of the OD brewery, I was lucky enough to encounter this big beer on a nitro tap. it is fabulous. Don't fall for imitations that come out of a bottle, there is nothing like this baby on tap and nitro. It is smooth and creamy like a guiness, but a slight bit more seductive on the tongue, a bit less scorched, and a tang more vanilla. Dark as pitch, I didn't even try to see through...a frothy, but contained head which didn't disappear no matter how long i waited. I couldn't stop drinking it...um, and neither could the 6 odd other people with me -- or the sales guy that brought us on the tour.

Bottles (I've had it) just don't do justice to this beer. i could rate it as one of the all time best darks...It is a reason for not attempting a dark homebrew unless I get myself a nitro tap. it is worth the trip...400+ miles from here.

4.77/5  rDev +21.7%

Appearance: Dark Amber pour, virtually non-transparent, as a stout should be

Smell: Sweet, Malty, Oak Barrel

Taste: Roasted Malt character, then slowly melts away with a sweet buttery vanilla finish

Mouthfeel: Smooth

Drinkability: Good drinkability, however it can fill you up fast

3.4/5  rDev -13.3%

Bought this stout off the shelf and slowly cooled to 57*F. bottled stamp date: 5-30-07. Chose a (clean)snifter in anticipation of a heavy aroma to enjoy. It poured dark with 1/4" head. Sat so dark in the glass that you cannot see light through it-at all! Aroma was of smokey burnt wood with a sweet caramel background. I expected more with the taste based upon the prelude. The taste was toasty/nutty with a bitter aftertaste. I couldn't get away from the bitterness throughout the beer and seemed to intensify as it warmed. Mouthfeel was surprisingly smooth and clean for such a dense beer.
Overall, I expected more. The head completely dissapeared 1/2 way through and the flatness prevailed. I didn't sense any of the vanilla in the taste either which I would've liked. I would drink this again but not back to back. I'll pair one bottle with food next time.

4.78/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a rich dark brown, almost black with a hint of russet highlights. The half-inch head faded quickly but left a heavy lacing. The aroma is a lovely sweet smokiness with notes of coffee and charred oak. The taste is smooth, smooth, smooth! Coffee, smoky malts, a hint of dark chocolate. There is a hint of bitterness in the finish but it doesn't linger. Medium carbonation doesn't interfere with the flavor. What else can I say? It's delightful.

4.12/5  rDev +5.1%

I had this from a bottle poured in to a Samuel Adams glass. This stout was black as night with a beautiful tan head that reduces to a nice thin lace on top. This has smell of a robust coffee. The first sip is of coffee with a hints of vanilla at the end. Overall this is a really flavorful stout. This stout is smooth drinking, definitely on of my favorites. Very tasty!

3.85/5  rDev -1.8%

Black with a moderate chocolate head.

Bourbon is the most predominate smell, followed by oak, and vanilla. These three smells overpower a hint of roasted malt.

Oak and vanilla at first, followed by sweetness and the warmth of the alcohol. Tons of flavor. Mouthfeel is thinner than expected compared to the strong aromas and complex flavor. I recommend to those who enjoy oak aged beers. Something different with the vanilla.

Good beer to relax in the evening after a long day. I don't think I would want to drink more than 2 in evening.

4.11/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I really like stouts, and this has been one of my favorites for a couple years now. I picked it up at Martin's this time.
A- Can't see through it, and it pours a great looking 1' froth.
S- Nothing crazy here, just a hint of vanilla like the bottle advertises.
T- A great, smooth taste that hits you with that vanilla flavor. It's so smooth but still has that roasted flavor of a stout.
Overall, like I said before it is one of my favorites, and it's always easy to find here in Virginia so I pick it up pretty often.

look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 4.5

definitely has a burnt oak smell, but I detect almost a cascade dry hop with vanilla finish. very interesting.
mine appears to be pushed with co2, would be better if pushed with nitrogen to smooth it out.
I liked it, just didn't like the help cleaning thefloors while I was trying to taste.

3.65/5  rDev -6.9%

Smells outstanding poured directly from the bottle. Slightly sweet and quite toasted. The head disappears quite quickly leaving a dark pleasing baking chocolate color beer. This great start is somewhat let down once you get the beer into your mouth however. The prominent toasty oakiness in the smell is very subtle in the flavor which is lighter than many beers in this style and flees the pallet quite abruptly. The negligable mouthfeel and aftertaste makes this beer easy to drink which I guess is a plus. It's not bad but I won't be recommending it to anyone who is looking for an oak aged stout.

this beer had become a fav myself and my wife and a few freinds first tried this beer at the brewery in dover de,,,
it was truly amazing,,,the color smell teste.was just awsome..i do suggest if u get this beer in the bottle let it rest b4 drinking...i found this to be better but thats just me...enjoy

I got this as an extra in a trade. I'm not much of a stout drinker, but this one was tasty. Super smooth and easy to drink. There is a wonderful oakiness which I know was intended and just a slight hint of vanilla over the roasted malt body. I am impressed...this beer may have just opened a new door for me.

3.03/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

(A)ppeance - nice brown color when poured, settling to a dark brown. Nice head that lingered with some good lace.
(S)mell - very light, no real roasty aroma, but some slight floral notes from the hops.
(T)aste - light roasty taste but no other real flavors, light coffee like Folgers...light not dark.
(M)outh feel - thins and watered down, not like stout but more like a schwartzbier.
(O)verall - good, but not great...liked the head and could actually detect the hops, but body and taste were a bit thin and underwhelming for a stout.

Of all the stouts except Imperial Stouts I like this one best. Creamy and malty full of wonderfull bourbon aromas this stout is not as dry as a typical Irish Stout. The bitterness of BlackPatent malt is subdued and balanced tho' dry not excessive. Best enjoyed on tap.

4.7/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours Very Black (like coke)and rich with a nice dark head. The smell and taste of oak is very noticeable. The beer has a very earthy smell and taste. It is a great beer for the price. May be my favorite beer in this category. It is a great bridge beer between lighter beers and hard core stouts. I hope AB INC's marketing takes this beer to more markets to show it's true potential.

3.66/5  rDev -6.6%

Very excited to give this one a shot. In my eyes, pretty much any stout is worth a shot and this particular beer piqued my interest.

A - Pours a deep brown, almost black color with a decent head, slight lacing.

S - Oak aroma with a touch of sweetness.

T - Oak follows through initially with vanilla to follow, slightly sweet but certainly not overwhelming. Less bitterness than I had expected on the back end.

M - Here is where I believe things head south. For a stout, this beer is certainly on the lighter end. I was hoping for something a little bit bolder and heavier, but was somewhat disappointed. There is average carbonation, which doesn't help or hinder the overall experience in my opinion.

O - Overall I think this beer looks better than it tastes which not optimal in my opinion when being forced to choose one over the other. The aroma helps the overall experience but doesn't follow through to the mouth. I would say it's worth a shot, but I don't think I would go back for a second one with so many great options available.

Dominion Oak Barrel Stout from Old Dominion Brewing Company