Join our email list →

Old Dominion Brewing Company
Delaware, United States | website

American Stout | 6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-12-2001

We use smoked and peated malts to create an intricate malt foundation. Our method of dry hopping with vanilla beans and oak chips pushes the depth of this stout’s flavor spectrum even further.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dominion Oak Barrel Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 685 | Hads: 1,453
4.07/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A :: Pours a thick black with a one finger creamy tan head. It reduced to nothing within minutes.
S :: Oak, dark malt, chocolate
T :: A little woodiness from the oak with the chocolate and malt showing through the most. This leaves a long lasting bitterness in your mouth.
M :: Thinner than I expected for this stout. Medium-heavy carbonation
D :: The flavors are balanced and I could definitely enjoy a few of these. Again, a little thinner than I would like, but still good overall.

4.3/5  rDev +9.7%

12oz bottle poured into a stout glass.

A - It poured nice and dark with almost no head and very few rising bubbles, leaving almost zero lacing while consumed.

S - The vanilla really jumps out with some malt. It also smells a little darker than it looks.

T - Surprisingly I can taste the oak a lot more than the vanilla. If I attempt to smell while drinking the vanilla becomes more prevalent, but the oak is definitely the stringer of the tastes.

M - Nice and smooth, better than other stouts I've had recently.

D - I love stouts but this is really nice for a change of pace. The vanilla flavor is nice, but I really enjoyed the oak taste, they really compliment each other well. I could drink this beer all night long.

4.57/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: The body is black with some dark reddish-brown color on the sides.
The head is thick and tan in color. And recedes to a creamy look.
The lace is only minor.

Smell: Scent of toffee, caramel, coffee, oak, and vanilla. A very pleasant smell.

Taste: Dark malts upfront that were roasted and crisp with a little bitterness to them.
In the middle was a sweetness that was balanced but complex. Notes of
chocolate, coffee, caramelized toffee, and vanilla that mix together
perfectly. Ends with a light roasted flavor that is smooth.

Mouthfeel: Silky smooth and full body. In the middle it has an acidic crisp feeling when
all of the complex flavors mixes.

Overall: I love everything about this stout. My favorite thing is the complex flavors
and how smooth it is. A very interesting brew. One of my favorite stouts.

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

Ive had this on tap several times

L: very dark, looks black, brown tints in light; tan creamy head, wish it lasts longer

S: malts; roasted toasty ,smoke; oak; some vanilla; smells great

T: sweet on the start with roasted toasty malts bitterness coming in and balancing it; hints of oak (not overpowering but id like more oak, Smoke hickory flavors, some hop flavor at the end, but not a lot to me; good oak stout overall, that's doesn't feel too heavy.

4.03/5  rDev +2.8%

A - Jet black. Completely opaque. Small brown head from a rough pour, otherwise no head.

S - The vanilla really comes through on the smell. Can smell the sweat malts.

T - Lots of character, vanilla, spicy wood, very sweet.

M - A very light mouthfeel for a stout. I was hoping for it to be a little heavier.

D - Could drink a few of these very quickly. Great for winter.

3.99/5  rDev +1.8%

One of my all time favorite stouts from way back this one gets much praise and admiration. If you are looking for a good all around dark beer this is always a good one to drink.

Appearance:
Nothing extremely different, or unexpected here. It is extremely black with a tan head. It is a thin head with not much lacing.
Smell:
This is the one place where some might deduct points. The smell is a faint roasty, burned, woody almost skunky aroma. It is not a good smell, but I don't find many stouts with good smells if any.
Taste:
The main taste I get is a roasted coffee flavor that I gather comes from the roasted barley. It is malty, toffee, slight sweetness and then a dry lovely finish with an aftertaste that sticks with you. The aftertaste is more roasted coffee. If you are reaching and trying hard to find it you might get some vanilla. They say that they brew it with vanilla, but I can never get any of that out of it. I just taste a nice sweetness and it is incredibly smooth.

Feel: extemely smooth and silky wonderful.

Pick a day when you are in the mood for a dark beer and have at it,

Craig

4.17/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours black with a somewhat thin tan head. Aroma of vanilla, oak, and bourbon. Flavor is roasty and sweet, with a dry nutty finish. A bit of sour acidity creeps in and balances nicely with the other flavors. A nice chocolate and spruce bitterness mix in the finish as well. Complex flavor, but not over the top in any respect. Just a nice, well crafted stout.

4.85/5  rDev +23.7%

On a tour of the OD brewery, I was lucky enough to encounter this big beer on a nitro tap. it is fabulous. Don't fall for imitations that come out of a bottle, there is nothing like this baby on tap and nitro. It is smooth and creamy like a guiness, but a slight bit more seductive on the tongue, a bit less scorched, and a tang more vanilla. Dark as pitch, I didn't even try to see through...a frothy, but contained head which didn't disappear no matter how long i waited. I couldn't stop drinking it...um, and neither could the 6 odd other people with me -- or the sales guy that brought us on the tour.

Bottles (I've had it) just don't do justice to this beer. i could rate it as one of the all time best darks...It is a reason for not attempting a dark homebrew unless I get myself a nitro tap. it is worth the trip...400+ miles from here.

4.77/5  rDev +21.7%

Appearance: Dark Amber pour, virtually non-transparent, as a stout should be

Smell: Sweet, Malty, Oak Barrel

Taste: Roasted Malt character, then slowly melts away with a sweet buttery vanilla finish

Mouthfeel: Smooth

Drinkability: Good drinkability, however it can fill you up fast

3.4/5  rDev -13.3%

Bought this stout off the shelf and slowly cooled to 57*F. bottled stamp date: 5-30-07. Chose a (clean)snifter in anticipation of a heavy aroma to enjoy. It poured dark with 1/4" head. Sat so dark in the glass that you cannot see light through it-at all! Aroma was of smokey burnt wood with a sweet caramel background. I expected more with the taste based upon the prelude. The taste was toasty/nutty with a bitter aftertaste. I couldn't get away from the bitterness throughout the beer and seemed to intensify as it warmed. Mouthfeel was surprisingly smooth and clean for such a dense beer.
Overall, I expected more. The head completely dissapeared 1/2 way through and the flatness prevailed. I didn't sense any of the vanilla in the taste either which I would've liked. I would drink this again but not back to back. I'll pair one bottle with food next time.

4.12/5  rDev +5.1%

I had this from a bottle poured in to a Samuel Adams glass. This stout was black as night with a beautiful tan head that reduces to a nice thin lace on top. This has smell of a robust coffee. The first sip is of coffee with a hints of vanilla at the end. Overall this is a really flavorful stout. This stout is smooth drinking, definitely on of my favorites. Very tasty!

3.85/5  rDev -1.8%

Black with a moderate chocolate head.

Bourbon is the most predominate smell, followed by oak, and vanilla. These three smells overpower a hint of roasted malt.

Oak and vanilla at first, followed by sweetness and the warmth of the alcohol. Tons of flavor. Mouthfeel is thinner than expected compared to the strong aromas and complex flavor. I recommend to those who enjoy oak aged beers. Something different with the vanilla.

Good beer to relax in the evening after a long day. I don't think I would want to drink more than 2 in evening.

3.65/5  rDev -6.9%

Smells outstanding poured directly from the bottle. Slightly sweet and quite toasted. The head disappears quite quickly leaving a dark pleasing baking chocolate color beer. This great start is somewhat let down once you get the beer into your mouth however. The prominent toasty oakiness in the smell is very subtle in the flavor which is lighter than many beers in this style and flees the pallet quite abruptly. The negligable mouthfeel and aftertaste makes this beer easy to drink which I guess is a plus. It's not bad but I won't be recommending it to anyone who is looking for an oak aged stout.

this beer had become a fav myself and my wife and a few freinds first tried this beer at the brewery in dover de,,,
it was truly amazing,,,the color smell teste.was just awsome..i do suggest if u get this beer in the bottle let it rest b4 drinking...i found this to be better but thats just me...enjoy

look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 4.5

definitely has a burnt oak smell, but I detect almost a cascade dry hop with vanilla finish. very interesting.
mine appears to be pushed with co2, would be better if pushed with nitrogen to smooth it out.
I liked it, just didn't like the help cleaning thefloors while I was trying to taste.

I got this as an extra in a trade. I'm not much of a stout drinker, but this one was tasty. Super smooth and easy to drink. There is a wonderful oakiness which I know was intended and just a slight hint of vanilla over the roasted malt body. I am impressed...this beer may have just opened a new door for me.

Of all the stouts except Imperial Stouts I like this one best. Creamy and malty full of wonderfull bourbon aromas this stout is not as dry as a typical Irish Stout. The bitterness of BlackPatent malt is subdued and balanced tho' dry not excessive. Best enjoyed on tap.

4.7/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours Very Black (like coke)and rich with a nice dark head. The smell and taste of oak is very noticeable. The beer has a very earthy smell and taste. It is a great beer for the price. May be my favorite beer in this category. It is a great bridge beer between lighter beers and hard core stouts. I hope AB INC's marketing takes this beer to more markets to show it's true potential.

3.66/5  rDev -6.6%

Very excited to give this one a shot. In my eyes, pretty much any stout is worth a shot and this particular beer piqued my interest.

A - Pours a deep brown, almost black color with a decent head, slight lacing.

S - Oak aroma with a touch of sweetness.

T - Oak follows through initially with vanilla to follow, slightly sweet but certainly not overwhelming. Less bitterness than I had expected on the back end.

M - Here is where I believe things head south. For a stout, this beer is certainly on the lighter end. I was hoping for something a little bit bolder and heavier, but was somewhat disappointed. There is average carbonation, which doesn't help or hinder the overall experience in my opinion.

O - Overall I think this beer looks better than it tastes which not optimal in my opinion when being forced to choose one over the other. The aroma helps the overall experience but doesn't follow through to the mouth. I would say it's worth a shot, but I don't think I would go back for a second one with so many great options available.

4.11/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I really like stouts, and this has been one of my favorites for a couple years now. I picked it up at Martin's this time.
A- Can't see through it, and it pours a great looking 1' froth.
S- Nothing crazy here, just a hint of vanilla like the bottle advertises.
T- A great, smooth taste that hits you with that vanilla flavor. It's so smooth but still has that roasted flavor of a stout.
Overall, like I said before it is one of my favorites, and it's always easy to find here in Virginia so I pick it up pretty often.

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured into a grand pilsner this stout is wonderfully dark with a nice light brown head. The vanilla and oak used in the fermenting bring out a tasteful almost caramel flavor. Has similar smell and taste characteristics to root or birch beers.

Drinkability is high. Because of it's dark color it looks thick but is actually very light and goes down very smooth. This makes for a great after dinner or late night dessert. I'm almost tempted to add vanilla ice cream and make a nice Oak Barrel Float.

Bottoms Up!!!

4.17/5  rDev +6.4%

A: A dark amber coloration.The pour produced a 1finger head that held up well.
S: Woody,vanilla coffee flavors.
T: Yea,...I"m takin a likin to this! Roasted dark chocalate with sour apple notes.A nice, faintly sweet vanilla finish.
M: I'd say medium bodied.Velvety,yet crisp.
D: Highly sessionable stout.I enjoyed this very much.Kinda reminds me of a beer that I had in Ireland,...Beamish.

4.42/5  rDev +12.8%

Very creamy and overall a great beer. I had this as part of the Beer of the month a while back and then again at Eulogy in Philadelphia PA. Pours nice and smells great. I have not been able to find any in NJ or PA to pick up a case. The vanilla finish is great.

3.68/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I would like to point out that this is my first review on the site and I'm happy to be a part of it.

Appearance - pours to a black with brown tints with a brown head (which there isn't much of) and really no lacing.

Smell - Like a mild mix of vanilla, chocolate, and oak.

Taste - This is where the OAK in the title comes through to me, that with a bit of vanilla make for a pretty sweet taste

Mouthfeel - surprisingly light to me*

Drinkability - I find this to be a pretty solid offering with a pleasantly sweet taste.

I say this because the stout I would mostly drink (until recently) is Ginness so I'm not as used to traditionally carbonated stouts.

I had this on tap at the Nuclear Free Beer Festival. The aroma and even the taste brought early childhood memories back. There was a store on M St in Georgetown called the Georgetown Coffee and Tea Shop, that is what it reminded me of. I would go in there every Sunday after church and I always loved the smell. It was nice and balanced and finished like a good espresso.

Dominion Oak Barrel Stout from Old Dominion Brewing Company