Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Dominion Oak Barrel Stout - Old Dominion Brewing Company

Dominion Oak Barrel StoutDominion Oak Barrel Stout

Old Dominion Brewing Company visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Stout |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-12-2001

We use smoked and peated malts to create an intricate malt foundation. Our method of dry hopping with vanilla beans and oak chips pushes the depth of this stout’s flavor spectrum even further.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dominion Oak Barrel Stout Alström Bros
firstprev| 601-625 | 626-650 | 651-675  | next → last
Reviews: 675 | Hads: 1,405
3.65/5  rDev -6.9%

Smells outstanding poured directly from the bottle. Slightly sweet and quite toasted. The head disappears quite quickly leaving a dark pleasing baking chocolate color beer. This great start is somewhat let down once you get the beer into your mouth however. The prominent toasty oakiness in the smell is very subtle in the flavor which is lighter than many beers in this style and flees the pallet quite abruptly. The negligable mouthfeel and aftertaste makes this beer easy to drink which I guess is a plus. It's not bad but I won't be recommending it to anyone who is looking for an oak aged stout. (600 characters)

this beer had become a fav myself and my wife and a few freinds first tried this beer at the brewery in dover de,,,
it was truly amazing,,,the color smell teste.was just awsome..i do suggest if u get this beer in the bottle let it rest b4 drinking...i found this to be better but thats just me...enjoy (302 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +1.8%

One of my all time favorite stouts from way back this one gets much praise and admiration. If you are looking for a good all around dark beer this is always a good one to drink.

Appearance:
Nothing extremely different, or unexpected here. It is extremely black with a tan head. It is a thin head with not much lacing.
Smell:
This is the one place where some might deduct points. The smell is a faint roasty, burned, woody almost skunky aroma. It is not a good smell, but I don't find many stouts with good smells if any.
Taste:
The main taste I get is a roasted coffee flavor that I gather comes from the roasted barley. It is malty, toffee, slight sweetness and then a dry lovely finish with an aftertaste that sticks with you. The aftertaste is more roasted coffee. If you are reaching and trying hard to find it you might get some vanilla. They say that they brew it with vanilla, but I can never get any of that out of it. I just taste a nice sweetness and it is incredibly smooth.

Feel: extemely smooth and silky wonderful.

Pick a day when you are in the mood for a dark beer and have at it,

Craig (1,123 characters)

I got this as an extra in a trade. I'm not much of a stout drinker, but this one was tasty. Super smooth and easy to drink. There is a wonderful oakiness which I know was intended and just a slight hint of vanilla over the roasted malt body. I am impressed...this beer may have just opened a new door for me. (308 characters)

Of all the stouts except Imperial Stouts I like this one best. Creamy and malty full of wonderfull bourbon aromas this stout is not as dry as a typical Irish Stout. The bitterness of BlackPatent malt is subdued and balanced tho' dry not excessive. Best enjoyed on tap. (268 characters)

look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 4.5

definitely has a burnt oak smell, but I detect almost a cascade dry hop with vanilla finish. very interesting.
mine appears to be pushed with co2, would be better if pushed with nitrogen to smooth it out.
I liked it, just didn't like the help cleaning thefloors while I was trying to taste. (290 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours Very Black (like coke)and rich with a nice dark head. The smell and taste of oak is very noticeable. The beer has a very earthy smell and taste. It is a great beer for the price. May be my favorite beer in this category. It is a great bridge beer between lighter beers and hard core stouts. I hope AB INC's marketing takes this beer to more markets to show it's true potential. (383 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured into a grand pilsner this stout is wonderfully dark with a nice light brown head. The vanilla and oak used in the fermenting bring out a tasteful almost caramel flavor. Has similar smell and taste characteristics to root or birch beers.

Drinkability is high. Because of it's dark color it looks thick but is actually very light and goes down very smooth. This makes for a great after dinner or late night dessert. I'm almost tempted to add vanilla ice cream and make a nice Oak Barrel Float.

Bottoms Up!!! (519 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -6.6%

Very excited to give this one a shot. In my eyes, pretty much any stout is worth a shot and this particular beer piqued my interest.

A - Pours a deep brown, almost black color with a decent head, slight lacing.

S - Oak aroma with a touch of sweetness.

T - Oak follows through initially with vanilla to follow, slightly sweet but certainly not overwhelming. Less bitterness than I had expected on the back end.

M - Here is where I believe things head south. For a stout, this beer is certainly on the lighter end. I was hoping for something a little bit bolder and heavier, but was somewhat disappointed. There is average carbonation, which doesn't help or hinder the overall experience in my opinion.

O - Overall I think this beer looks better than it tastes which not optimal in my opinion when being forced to choose one over the other. The aroma helps the overall experience but doesn't follow through to the mouth. I would say it's worth a shot, but I don't think I would go back for a second one with so many great options available. (1,043 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I really like stouts, and this has been one of my favorites for a couple years now. I picked it up at Martin's this time.
A- Can't see through it, and it pours a great looking 1' froth.
S- Nothing crazy here, just a hint of vanilla like the bottle advertises.
T- A great, smooth taste that hits you with that vanilla flavor. It's so smooth but still has that roasted flavor of a stout.
Overall, like I said before it is one of my favorites, and it's always easy to find here in Virginia so I pick it up pretty often. (519 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

We got this beer to pair with a New Orleans dinner and specifically to pair with oysters. It paired really well with them. Beer has a nice dark color to it with a head that settles well. (186 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +6.4%

A: A dark amber coloration.The pour produced a 1finger head that held up well.
S: Woody,vanilla coffee flavors.
T: Yea,...I"m takin a likin to this! Roasted dark chocalate with sour apple notes.A nice, faintly sweet vanilla finish.
M: I'd say medium bodied.Velvety,yet crisp.
D: Highly sessionable stout.I enjoyed this very much.Kinda reminds me of a beer that I had in Ireland,...Beamish. (393 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +12.8%

Very creamy and overall a great beer. I had this as part of the Beer of the month a while back and then again at Eulogy in Philadelphia PA. Pours nice and smells great. I have not been able to find any in NJ or PA to pick up a case. The vanilla finish is great. (261 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I would like to point out that this is my first review on the site and I'm happy to be a part of it.

Appearance - pours to a black with brown tints with a brown head (which there isn't much of) and really no lacing.

Smell - Like a mild mix of vanilla, chocolate, and oak.

Taste - This is where the OAK in the title comes through to me, that with a bit of vanilla make for a pretty sweet taste

Mouthfeel - surprisingly light to me*

Drinkability - I find this to be a pretty solid offering with a pleasantly sweet taste.

I say this because the stout I would mostly drink (until recently) is Ginness so I'm not as used to traditionally carbonated stouts. (657 characters)

I had this on tap at the Nuclear Free Beer Festival. The aroma and even the taste brought early childhood memories back. There was a store on M St in Georgetown called the Georgetown Coffee and Tea Shop, that is what it reminded me of. I would go in there every Sunday after church and I always loved the smell. It was nice and balanced and finished like a good espresso. (371 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -3.8%

Appearance: Pour into a pint glass yielded a deep, dark brown body with a light brown two finger head.

Smell: Oak, vanilla, and malts in that order.

Taste: The oak barrel has lent a great deal of flavor to this brew, and its taste definitely dominates at first. After a few seconds it fades yielding to malt flavors with undertones of vanilla.

Mouthfeel: It is thinner than many stouts, but that lends it an uncommon drink-ability for the style.

Overall: Not necessarily what I was expecting to get, but a good beer that I would buy again nonetheless. (555 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +17.9%

This is quite possibly my favorite stout ever. This is the first beer my father and I shared together as adults. He took me to his favorite watering hole it happend to be Old Dominion brewery.

From draft, its near perfect. It has extreme vanilla on the first nose. Inhaling deeper you get a very woody scent straight from the oak barrels it came from. It's so deep brown its near black. Caramely(maybe not a real word) head. Rich in color as in smell. Taste is like pure heaven. It is a real vanilla stout with bourbon hanging on everytaste bud with out killing the vanilla. The vanilla despite its strength, is not over powering as well. Leaving a very smooth stout. So enjoyable you can have it for breakfast of dessert. This is a beer you must seek while in Virginia. You might not be a stout person but it is something you will remember always. That's how important this stout is to me. I remember when Jason and Todd both privileged to have it on draft, had their first taste. It was like watching a kid try something sweet for the first time in their life. It truly is an amazing beer. It is one of the first beers that made me understand why beer is so great. Between that and Arrogant Bastard. (1,205 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -1.5%

I really, really enjoyed this beer. (yes, deserves both really's)
It poured a dark handsome shade of black. It had a slight malty aroma nothing over powering. It’s a dark beer but not too heavy, and what sets it apart for me is that vanilla mouth feel and after taste. The drinkabilty is through the roof. If this were any higher in abv it could be really dangerous... damn I could use another! (396 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +18.6%

This is beer is incredible. From the thick dark coloring to the sweet oak vanilla malt aroma, to the oak infested chocolate vanilla coffee taste. When I tried this beer for the first time it found it's way around to about 10 of my friends and we finished off the bars entire supply of it in one night. Has a lot of drinkability if you like stouts. This beer is definately a keeper. (381 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +14.3%

Had it on tap at Dulles airport in DC at the Old Dominion pub next to gate B14. Pours beautifully with a nice head. Slight sweetness with hints of vanilla and even a little chocolate. It is not overly bitter which makes it very easy to drink. It may be a little to sweet for some, but I am a big fan. (300 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -1%

Served chilled in a pint glass.

A - Motor oil black with a minimal light tan head.

S - Not as over powering as some other stouts out there. Chocolate and coffee with hints of caramel and vanilla.

T - Almost no carbonation. Coffee and vanilla stand out.

M - Silky smooth due to the low abv.

O - Very good American stout overall. Could become my go to local stout. Highly recommend. (386 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +21.2%

Pours a very dark opaque black with brown head. (I'm talking black to the point where my mag-lite couldn't be seen through it except for a tint of ruby) Has decent head retention. Smell is sweet, mostly roast and vanilla. Taste is well-balanced with the vanilla coming to the forefront. Also has a cocoa-ish taste to it. Extremely smooth to drink. I have to say this is one of the few stouts I think I could sit down and just drink gallons of. I drove 2 hours to the store where I picked this up and I must say the trip was not wasted. A must try. One day I hope to try it on tap. (580 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -47.4%

I must have a seriously off bottle, because I just can not get into this, and I'm not hard to please. The predominant flavor of this bottle is scorched French Roast coffee. There's little carbonation, the mouthfeel is thin, and there's little nose to speak of.

It simply HAS to be an off bottle, because I can't see my tastes being so contrary to others' experiences, when I agree almost always on other reviews.

F (for FAILED)(note: I'm not prone to grade inflation, as in: "This beer really sucked, it was thin, watery, with no character. A minus) (551 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This is my first beer review. Luckily, however, this is not my first beer.

The beer pours pitch black with slight red hues near the bottom of the glass. The head is a normal tan and has lingered for quite awhile. The lacing is very pronounced, almost sticky.

The smell is more pronounced in the bottle, but when poured there are hints of oak, coffee, and almost a general nutty sweetness to the beer.

The taste is complex with pronounced flavors of oak and coffee with a very slight hint of bitterness in the finish. The slightly thick and smooth mouth feel is a definite highlight and the carbonation is perfect.

Overall, this is a great brew and thus far, a highlight in my beer journey, however limited that may be. (724 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A very dark color with a thin light brown color head. I have had a more frothy head before, so I am wondering if there is carbonation issues or if time in the bottle effected this. Non-the-less, the Aroma is clearly vanilla and chocolate with a light roasted smell. The taste brings out a light oak flavor with the vanilla and chocolate dominating. Very smooth feel. The vanilla is quite an enjoyable change up for a stout. A thoroughly enjoyable beer that I will certainly have again. (485 characters)

firstprev| 601-625 | 626-650 | 651-675  | next → last