Dominion The Chief’s Imperial Elixir - Old Dominion Brewing Company

pDev: n/a
Old Dominion Brewing Company visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Double / Imperial Pilsner |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: RBorsato on 09-28-2005)
4.72/5  rDev n/a
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer comes out as a beautiful, cloudy, golden hue. The smell is nearly all hops, noble as the description at the Old Dominion Brew Pub says. Not pine or citrus hops, wonderfully fragrant noble hops

The taste backs that up, with a great hop bite backed up by some clean lager malts and the alcohol just slightly peeks out.For the amount of hops, the beer is not overly bitter. Fresh on tap it's just plain wonderful if you like the double Pilsner style. I finished the pint quite easily and wish I could have had more; sadly, my time there was up and I had to make my way out. Don't miss this on-tap. It's very different from their filtered bottled Imperial Pilsner (often as their Spring Brew), even as good as that is.

4.33/5  rDev n/a

A – hazy straw, very small head that faded quickly

S – spicy hop aroma, some malt/caramel smell

T – low bitterness but great hop flavor, this beer really comes on smoothly and then hits you with a great spicy/noble hop flavor at the end. Has some fruity tastes, maybe pineapple, but very clean with some lingering bitterness.

M – medium to heavy. Definitely heavier mouthfeel than would be expected from a pilsner.

D – I could drink this all day. It really hides the higher alcohol. I had the Spring Brew from Old Dominion too long ago to really remember it, but I think this is hoppier and has a higher abv than it did. Reminds me of the Prima Pils from Victory or the Small Craft Warning from Clipper City. I wish I could get bottles of this beer, because I would get it all the time.

3.48/5  rDev n/a

Growler filled 10/11/06 at the Old Dominion Brew Pub.
Keller style Imperial Pilsner, brewed with 40 lbs of Saaz, Tettang and Hallertau hops in a 25 bbl batch. ABV is listed at 7.5%.

Appearance: Poured aggressively into the glass, The Chief is light, honey gold in appearance, clear with a big, billowy, white head that dissipates to a thick lacing on top of the pilsner. Large splatterings of sticky lacing coat the glass.

Smell: Big aroma of spicy hops dominate the nose along with an underlying, malt sweetness that I can't put my finger on. Spicy and grassy with a fresh bread like quality.

Taste: Starts smooth with the Noble hops picking up and giving it that distinctive Pils like bitterness, the middle is slightly sweet, honey like that finishes unremarkably. Honey and a very mild hop finish linger on the tongue. I was expecting more hops in the finish along with the distinctive dryness usually associated with a Pils. alcohol well hidden.

Mouthfeel: Medium to somewhat creamy, sort of slick in the mouth. Again, missing the crispness that I was looking for.

Drinkability/Notes. The Chief Elixer is not a bad double Pils but compared to Old Dominion's Spring Brew it doesn't quite stand up. It has a very nice nose with plenty of spicy hops but they do not carry over to the flavor profile like I was expecting, also has a distinctive honey like sweetness. Mouthfeel was also missing the crisp, dryness that is usually expected from a Pils. Overall, not a bad beer, but given Old Dominion's other Pilsner offerings like Tuppers Hop Pocket Pils and Spring Brews this one is third in line. Worth a try.

4.58/5  rDev n/a

I took notes as I sat at the brewpub sampling beers. My first word in the notes for this brew was "wow!". It poured a deep, crystal clear yellow, with a largish white head that stuck around for awhile. It is unfiltered, per the bartender, so it must have been lagered a good while to drop this clear.

The nose on this one had the same slight sulfer smell I detected in other lagers I had there. It certainly isn't bad. Must be the yeast. I also detected a slight hint of caramel, but it must be my mind playing tricks on me, and the bartender (who created this recipe, he says), states there's no actual caramel in it, just CaraPils (CaraPils is a very light crystal malt, but it's used more for body purposes. It only imparts a flavor on the beer at high levels, and then it can be sickly sweet, which wasn't the case here).

What a taste! Malt, malt, and more malt. Did I mention malt? This beer is sweet in every sense of the word. But a beer without any hops would be cloying. Where are the hops? They sneak in at the end, with a goodbye wave that lingers in your memory like an old photograph. Per the recipe creator, they used the brewing technique of getting most of their IBUs from late hop additions with lower cohumulone hops, which gives the beer a smoother bitterness and a much greater hop presence in the nose and in the flavor. It worked well here! I can detect no off flavors at all, but then, with a malt taste this big, there is a million places for them to hide. I can't imagine there are many, if any, hiding in here, though.

It's very hard to find fault here. This is a very well made Impy Pils. It's a shame it's a one shot. I could see this going over well with beer geeks.

4.38/5  rDev n/a

UPDATE: saw on the chalkboard at a later date that this is actually an encore batch of the 2005 Spring Brew hence the similarities noted below....
---

Per the bartender at ODBC this is an Imperial Pilsner.

Clear light golden color with a nice creamy white head, good carbonation, and decent lace rings. Strong Saaz hop aroma like the Spring Brews that they have had the last 2 years. Flavor is actually very hoppy with solid maltiness to balance it out. Similar to some of their hoppy Bocks in the past (ie. Saaz Bock) but maybe just a tad bit stronger in ABV. Mouthfeel is medium with nice creaminess and a bitter finish.

Delicious ... could be the same recipe as the 2005 Spring Brew but the bartender either didn't know or wouldn't say.

Note: This review was based on a growler from the OD Brewpub.

Dominion The Chief’s Imperial Elixir from Old Dominion Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.